daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Ελληνικός Κόσμος | Hellenic Cosmos > Αθήνα | Athens

Αθήνα | Athens Μητροπολιτική Αθήνα | Metropolitan Athens

Old December 11th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1
zafiris

Likes (Received): 0

New Acropolis museum_old

Full article from archaelogy.org: http://www.archaeology.org/online/re...eum/index.html
and
http://www.archaeology.org/0407/news...acropolis.html

In The New Acropolis Museum, the Onassis Cultural Center has brought another fine short-term exhibit to New York. It features preliminary drawings, artist's renditions, a large-sized model, and 3-D video walk-through of architect Bernard Tschumi's design for the new museum now being built at the foot of the Athenian Acropolis.

At the start of construction, ancient remains were found at the building site, raising concerns that part of ancient Athens would be sacrificed for the museum. An extensive excavation was undertaken, revealing foundation walls, drainage pipes, and other remains from private houses of the fourth-sixth centuries A.D. and a seventh-century residence with a large hall and round tower. Given the magnitude of the finds, the museum's design was altered both to limit damage to the ruins and to incorporate them into the overall experience of visitors. A system of support columns, strategically placed so as to disturb the archaeological remains as little as possible, holds the museum aloft. (It is said to be able to move on the columns, limiting damage in case of an earthquake.)

The museum's first floor has an auditorium and lobby between which a wide ramp leads up to the second floor. Transparent sections in the ramp's floor allow visitors to gaze at the exposed archaeological remains below. Along the sides of the ramp and as freestanding installations there will be artifacts recovered from the Sanctuary of the Nymphs, the Sanctuary of Asklepios, and elsewhere on the slopes of the Acropolis. The second floor will include a hall with Archaic period finds from the Acropolis on one side and, on the other, a hall containing post-Parthenon finds--including the sculptures and friezes from the Nike Temple and the Karyatids from the Erechtheion--and the Roman collection. The Parthenon gallery, a glass enclosure of the same size and orientation as the temple itself, occupies the third floor.

When I first saw a rendering of Tschumi's design for the museum, I had misgivings about it fitting into the local environment and being a suitable a home to the treasures of the Acropolis. It seemed big, intrusive, and flashy, more about the architect than the monuments and sculptures. I was wrong. If you have had doubts, go to The New Acropolis Museum and see if they aren't answered.

zafiris no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 11th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #2
sts

Likes (Received): 12

great!!!!!!
sts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 115

congratulations for this new museum Hellas, the building is very well integreate in the area.
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #4
george_ts

Νέο Μουσείο Ακρόπολης | New Acropolis Museum

- edit
george_ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Machiavelli

This is an ugly building to host some of the marvels of global and eternal architecture and art.

I hate its idiotic form (and this silly angle) that has nothing to do with the ancient greek concept
about beauty!

At least it could have been a modern building but this thing is just a concept of some
decades ago.

It is a disgrace.
Machiavelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Lex

You know george, I really would like you to put the poll up - I am really curious of the general concensus of many Europeans regarding the issue - I really only know the opinions of the Greek side and the British Museums side. I would poll it mself, just that I don't know how....
Lex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #7
george_ts

well this isnt that dificult but than where I sould place it in the main site or here you know as for here I dont thing we will get enough votes
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #8
Poliochni

I welcome ANY progress of the New Acropolis Museum which is bound to be among the best in the world (the National Archaelogical Museum already is, although it has some SERIOUS work to do with its branding / marketing ).

There is currently an exhibition in the Makriyiannis building, right ? (correct me if Im wrong).

It is going to be a GEM and Im so looking forward.

And of course needless to say that the Parthenon restoration project is growing strong with countless TRULY DEDICATED people who work wonders and whose job is not in the public spotlight, plus they get very little moneywise.

However, a personal favourite is the Museum of Cycladic Art ! Small but Magnificent. Breathtaking collection of Hellenic (Greek and Cypriot ) idols, superbly presented and organised. A well hidden secret in the capital (not so much of a secret, really). and currently in the spotlight with the loan of the famous "Lady of Auxerre" from the Louvre

However yet again, it deserves a much much much better gifts shop (Marketing people !).

But what a wonderful atrium and an adequate website ! Well done !

PS - Especially for the Cypriot collection, on the top floor of the museum :

" It is the second largest private collection of Cypriot Antiquities in the world after that of the Metropolitan Museum of New York and the most comprehensive in Greece. Following an agreement between the Museum of Cycladic Art and the collector, and by kind permission of the Republic of Cyprus, the collection will remain in Athens for a period of 25 years."

Last edited by Poliochni; February 8th, 2005 at 03:16 AM.
Poliochni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #9
Poliochni

For an intro please refer to :

http://www.cycladic-m.gr/
Poliochni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #10
Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_ts
well this isnt that dificult but than where I sould place it in the main site or here you know as for here I dont thing we will get enough votes
Put it in the DML forum, but perhaps you should put a little msg saying that no need to hear everyones arguements - just a yes or no - should they be given back... I really can't be bothered dealing with the stupid arguement that some stupid Brits give - they were leagally aquired, their removal protected them... bla bla bla
Lex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #11
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 444

...Overall an excellent thread and now that you reminded me, it is a pity that I haven't been on site since last summer to see the progress of the works there in person...

With regard to the marbles, the Brits say it's going to create a precedent for other antiquities to leave their hosting museums and thus, most of the world's museums may be stripped off their most valuable exhibits etc. etc.

I wouldn't be that contemptuous against the Brits and would certainly try to counter their arguments with facts. Actually, what constitutes a "property" of a museum and what a "legal possession"? Were they given to them by the then government of the state or by a local governor? Is ANY private party allowed to take artefacts from a site now constituting world heritage and is protected by UNESCO and other international organisations. Is acceptance of these artefacts legitimate by the British Museum since these have not been given to them by any state authority but by a private party under these circumstances?

The issue is not that simple. Certainly though, with the completion of this museum, all arguments about Greeks not having the capacity or the proper location to store them will become obsolete. However, the legal status and overall, the legal precedent that a return of these marbles to their native ground would create (let alone the relevant issues of prestige of the British Museum as an institution that will be risen) will constitute a serious deterrent for even any honest consideration of the issues involved here on the part of the Brits...
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #12
Lucretius

Likes (Received): 714

Some recent images depicting the progress of the construction

You can find 'em here

there's also a virtual tour here

enjoy!
Occasionally glancing up through the rain
Wondering which of the buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing.
Lucretius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #13
Lucretius

"Testing" the future exhibition

Some views of the parthenon gallery.

For more news and facts concerning the project look here

Last edited by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS; June 19th, 2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #14
asst31

Thanks,Lucretius.Though many dislike Tchumi's design,still the new Acropolis museum is a dream coming true

Last edited by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS; June 19th, 2006 at 08:41 PM.
asst31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #15
george_ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asst31
Thanks,Lucretius.Though many dislike Tchumi's design,still the new Acropolis museum is a dream coming true
Για σου και καλός ήρθες …
Και συμφωνώ απόλυτα με αυτά που λες δεν χρειάζεται να προσθέσουμε εδώ κάτι

Λουκρετιε σε Ευχαριστώ, για της προσθετές πληροφορίες που μας έδωσες για αυτό το σημαντικό έργο

really thanks for your contribution on additional information regards the Museum

Last edited by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS; June 19th, 2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old February 19th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #16
Lucretius

Another view of the Parthenon Gallery

Old March 6th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #17
george_ts

progress on the construction site (own shots 6/03/05)

Finally….I managed today to go to the Construction Site of the New Acropolis Museum. And I made some photos... I will try to comment if possible each of it
As for the Start when I left the Beautiful Acropolis Metro Station I was asked if I would like to See the exhibition of the artifacts of the acropolis regards the new acropolis Museum (no charge of the Entry made there some photos as well) it is an Exhibition regards the light that will display the marbles statues….lets say a test regards the displaying of the Marbles…. Very professional I have to admit it they answered me every question even regards the surrounding area
The good news are that it will be end of next year finished
Anyway let’s start…. And if you have any question please feel free to address it I will try to answer it as good as possible

entrance to the contrstuction site and to the test exhibition center

on the picture below I took the construction site from an angle to see the surrounding area as well because when I asked the responsible what will happen to that a
old well...sh****t there... he answered me that this old Buildings will be removed when he said that my heart was beating higher and I strarted smilling.... to that I did answer finaly someone who has the b****ls to do the right thing....

here on the right side they started already demolishing this houses

and here again the other ones (so far as I know there are living immigrands and they will be placed somewhere else)

and now again lets focus on the progress actually it is difficult because they found below archeological artefacts as well and it will be exhibited as well so they had to be very carefull and had to cover the earth with stones and (small stones) to protect it

the progress its already visible but again I thing that is the most difficult part because as soon that is done the rest shuld be easier to manage
now lets go to the exhibition
below you can see again how it will look like when it is finished you can even notice about the surrounding area

and know lets see how it is the test exhibition regards the light aproach looks like... I have to admit that I was supprised on that what you can do if you play whith the light... here some pictures it is not clear it will be exhibited like that but could be close to it they are still testing.. even on the labels most likely it will be not conventionall labeled the marbles but.... with light....on the floor....amazing

as for the artefacts well can you believe it that a lot of tham they where in storage rooms because the old museum was simply to small but with the new one they can exhibit everything....

and here again you can see when you play around with the light....

Last edited by george_ts; March 7th, 2005 at 07:44 AM.
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #18
Christos7

Mpravo re George!!!

YOU DID A GREAT JOB!!!

I am so happy to see that those crappy buildings around will be demolished.... Hopefully they put some green like in the images.

Good things are happening all the time. Slowly slowly it will get better.... at first, I did not like the designs to much but it has grown on me. I am getting excited to see it now!! But as we know, everywhere you dig in Athens you hit artifacts so it will take a while.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #19
george_ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos7
Mpravo re George!!!

YOU DID A GREAT JOB!!!

I am so happy to see that those crappy buildings around will be demolished.... Hopefully they put some green like in the images.

Good things are happening all the time. Slowly slowly it will get better.... at first, I did not like the designs to much but it has grown on me. I am getting excited to see it now!! But as we know, everywhere you dig in Athens you hit artifacts so it will take a while.
thanks my friend I try to do my best as much as my time allows it... I will try to keep you guys here informed as much as possible..(especialy that I have my new cam?
and hell yeah it is really great that this old buildings will be removed hopefully more from them with the time...
but I have to say that even know if you go to the centre you notice the changes that are made and they are still working
now imagine when the whole project is finished it will be the biggest archeological park in Europe
and as for the Museum I was the same like you but when I did see who it will play with all the daylight and some other things I am more than excited to see it finished
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #20
LEAFS FANATIC

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_ts
thanks my friend I try to do my best as much as my time allows it... I will try to keep you guys here informed as much as possible..(especialy that I have my new cam?
and hell yeah it is really great that this old buildings will be removed hopefully more from them with the time...
but I have to say that even know if you go to the centre you notice the changes that are made and they are still working
now imagine when the whole project is finished it will be the biggest archeological park in Europe
and as for the Museum I was the same like you but when I did see who it will play with all the daylight and some other things I am more than excited to see it finished

Holy shit George!!!

You outdid yourself!!! Excellent work! From now on I will call you our 2nd official reporter in Greece (gm being the first )

I cant wait to see more pics!

Bravo file!
LEAFS FANATIC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote