search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2017, 05:01 AM   #4201
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7575

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidalgo View Post
Why no Skylab?

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #4202
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3113

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktoyaktuk View Post
hello when i was young 20years old i was interested by space exploration.....but now definitely not !
because science fiction space exploration is much more interesting than real science.
since 100 years, fritz lang in his movie metropolis can change/transform a robot in a real woman,
since 1911, an american silent movie was on planet mars
since 40 years, the enterprise make teleporting of human beings

and what about the real science, since 50 years they want to reach the planet mars, and still nothing today.

the human being is an idiot..............science fiction is much more interesting, exciting.....
asimov, jules verne, clark are geniuses and our scientific engineers are idiots......not capable to teleport humans.....and to travel to other stars systems !
since 1969 moon and armstrong, the space exploration didn't progress....Because the humans didn't visit another planet.....

Have you been drinking? Because I think you need to be quite intoxicated not to realize the difference between "imagining there to be a solution" and "presenting a working and feasible solution".

It's like saying: "With my help, NASA could go to Proxima Centauri in a couple of weeks. All we need is a faster-than-light drive. Man, NASA are idiots not to have made one of those yet".

You bring up Asimov, Verne and Clark. Why stop there? Might as well continue with Rowling, Lewis and Tolkien. All that keeps world hunger a persistent reality is humanity's lack of magic. What a bunch of idiots we are, am I right?

Teslatron, paraplethon, The_Dude liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #4203
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 9097

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
When are they going to build this?

http://i.imgur.com/7ZqUbW1.png

So I can go for a jog in space.
Probably when "they" build this 1955 design by Dr Wernher von Braun.

I was two years old when this was displayed...wow...

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

Todays United States Navy (photos & discussion) | SSC

Antonio227 liked this post
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #4204
Sikuru7.lk

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktoyaktuk View Post
hello when i was young 20years old i was interested by space exploration.....but now definitely not !
because science fiction space exploration is much more interesting than real science.
since 100 years, fritz lang in his movie metropolis can change/transform a robot in a real woman,
since 1911, an american silent movie was on planet mars
since 40 years, the enterprise make teleporting of human beings

and what about the real science, since 50 years they want to reach the planet mars, and still nothing today.

the human being is an idiot..............science fiction is much more interesting, exciting.....
asimov, jules verne, clark are geniuses and our scientific engineers are idiots......not capable to teleport humans.....and to travel to other stars systems !
since 1969 moon and armstrong, the space exploration didn't progress....Because the humans didn't visit another planet.....
A bunch of early Sci-fi movies that had more fiction and space magic than actual science doesn't mean anything. Fiction is obviously more exciting than real life there is a reason why it has "Fiction" in it.

Either you are High or trolling

bd popeye liked this post
Sikuru7.lk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 03:21 AM   #4205
Sikuru7.lk

Likes (Received): 619

Ode to Space exploration by Motion Designer Christian Stangl and his brother, composer Wolfgang Stangl using only photos from Project Apollo Archive

alexenam, fountainkopf, erbse, Orion602 liked this post
Sikuru7.lk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 01:36 PM   #4206
paraplethon

Likes (Received): 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikuru7.lk View Post
Fiction is obviously more exciting than real life
Speaking for yourself...

Obviously.
paraplethon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:01 AM   #4207
paraplethon

Likes (Received): 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
From all the evidence we have so far the earth is extremely rare. There certainly is life out there, but not like in Star Trek or Star Wars. I'm a huge fan of scify, but sadly, that kind of reality will never be.
To quote Donald Rumsfeld:

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #4208
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 12753

Old May 27th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #4209
Ivan the Immigrant

Likes (Received): 2307

Quote:
Rocket Lab electron booster falls short in debut test launch

By Irene Klotz Space.com Contributor Published May 26, 2017

Rocket Lab's first Electron booster launches into space from the Mahia Peninsula in New Zealand on May 25, 2017. The rocket's upper stage failed to reach its intended orbit, company representatives said. (Rocket Lab)

The debut flight of Rocket Lab's miniature satellite launcher wasn't perfect, but the company is confident enough to proceed with plans for a second test launch this summer, founder and CEO Peter Beck said today (May 25).

Speaking to reporters less than 12 hours after the first Electron rocket bolted off its seaside launchpad in New Zealand, Beck said the booster's first and second stages separated as planned, but the upper stage, which doubled as a test payload, failed to reach its desired orbit about 310 miles (500 kilometers) above Earth.

A preliminary analysis shows that the upper stage ended up at roughly half that altitude, Beck said. [ Watch: Rocket Lab's Electron Arrives at Launch Site ]

"This is why we have test flights. It's all about gathering the data, finding out what works and what doesn't work," he said.

Ultimately, Rocket Lab is aiming for weekly flights of Electron, a two-stage, carbon-composite rocket designed to deliver payloads weighing up to about 330 lbs. (150 kilograms) into orbits some 310 miles above Earth.

The booster is powered by 3D-printed Rutherford engines that burn a mixture of liquid oxygen and kerosene.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/05/...st-launch.html
whiskeydatabasev0.2
view from my balcony

KlausDiggy, Harkonnen liked this post
Ivan the Immigrant no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
space thread