daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Albanian Forum > Zhvillimet Urbane > Ekonomia, Shërbimet Publike dhe Turizmi. > Ekonomia

Ekonomia Economic News and Developments.

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #61
Julian1972

Likes (Received): 0

There was quite a big item about Kosovo on the news here today. Of cours, it was about the elections; the conclusion was the new elected government might soon declare independence, but that none of the party's really know what to do to make Kosovo an economicly healthy country to live in.

It suprised me a little, since I see a lot of construction/development going on on this forum. It gave me more or less the idea, that the economic situation was getting better.

That was not the conclusion in the news-item though. They referred ao to an empty goldmine (and other mines) in Trepcha (serb. name) and foreign investors (factories) having problems with energy fall-outs (don't know exact English term). My question here is: is it really that bad the news told me and a tricky one, but I think it's worth a honest discussion; is independence for Kosovo from an economic point of view a good option and how do the people of Kosovo think about that.
Julian1972 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #62
liburni
Pse Jo??

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian1972 View Post
There was quite a big item about Kosovo on the news here today. Of cours, it was about the elections; the conclusion was the new elected government might soon declare independence, but that none of the party's really know what to do to make Kosovo an economicly healthy country to live in.

It suprised me a little, since I see a lot of construction/development going on on this forum. It gave me more or less the idea, that the economic situation was getting better.

That was not the conclusion in the news-item though. They referred ao to an empty goldmine (and other mines) in Trepcha (serb. name) and foreign investors (factories) having problems with energy fall-outs (don't know exact English term). My question here is: is it really that bad the news told me and a tricky one, but I think it's worth a honest discussion; is independence for Kosovo from an economic point of view a good option and how do the people of Kosovo think about that.
Kosovo is in the transition phase, and it is normal to expect difficulties. Aside from the energy crisis, Kosovo has never really been any better from what it is today. It exported much more than what it does today, but the people of Kosovo did not benefit from that. All in all i think the media is exagerating a little bit. There is positive signs in the economic sector and those will only improve. The main reason why the economy is as bad as it is, is the combination of all efforts to solve the political status, and the lack of secuirity for foreign investment as a result of the status not being cleared. In addition, because Kosovo is not a state, it can not get loans from different international organization to kickstart the economy. I think it is fair to add corruption as a contributor to this result as well. But then again corruption is widespread everywhere in the balkans, but is mostly noticeable in the trees with less apples.

As far as "do i think independence is the righ solution from an economic point of view"...well
first, Serbia is not doing all that well it self. Its not like we want to be Independent from USA or some other powerful economy
Second, the people of Kosovo have never benefited under the Serb rule.
Third, Kosovo has a young, entrepreneur type population who are eager to work if given the chance.
4th Kosovo has a large diaspore who pure in there a billion dollars a year.

So in conclusion...in my opinion independence is all we need so that we can fully use our resoources.
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #63
SkaNdErBeG

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
My question here is: is it really that bad the news told me and a tricky one, but I think it's worth a honest discussion; is independence for Kosovo from an economic point of view a good option and how do the people of Kosovo think about that.
Kosova is currently a hostage of a status quo situation - and has been since the war... Before that we were hostage of Serbia...its not difficult to understand the economical problems in this context... I mean, its obvious and clear why Kosova cant develope as smoothly and fast under these circumstances (as it would without).. think of it:

1st from a short historical perspective: armed conflicts (before 98'), war, oppression, neglegence, discrimantion, no rights etc etc...
2nd: think of all the legal rights a sovereign country has (that most take for granted) but which are crucial (alfa omega) and wich also sets the foundation for economical development: legislation, representation in world organisations, embassies, foreign policies, loans etc etc (in order to attract foreign investors, but also in order to stimulate investments within the country)

how do you expect Kosova to develope "smoothly" and fast - without controlling all that mentioned above? When all these barriers are broken - with Independence - of course Kosova will have a much faster development than it has today... It explains itself ...

Last edited by SkaNdErBeG; November 17th, 2007 at 12:25 AM.
SkaNdErBeG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM   #64
SkaNdErBeG

Acda: Brezovica ski-resort to be privatised in spring

Quote:
Prishtina, 17 November 2007 – Kosovar daily "Lajm" carried a full page interview with the Head of UNMIK Pillar IV, Paul Acda, on the issue of privatisation of the Skiing Center Brezovica.

Below are Paul Acda's answers on the privatisation of skiing resort Brezovica.

“During the last KTA Board meeting, the privatisation of Brezovica was not removed from the process. But the process of opening bids was delayed until spring since the potential for investments is quite great and more time is required for research. During the last meeting, the Privatisation Department has also issued brochures to be sent to foreign investors and the board approved a video. KTA participated at a conference in Vienna and has spoken to a great number of investors. The entire problem cannot be solved immediately as first the rules for special spin off should be set and we are currently discussing this with the management. Everything is going according to plan including the timeframe. The bids will be opened in spring of 2008. I have recently met with the Serbian Minister of Economy, who said that KTA cannot privatise Brezovica. However, based on the UN Resolution, it is clear that UNMIK has the authority to privatise it.

“Serbian Minister of Economy proposed to use the Serbian Agency for repairing the ski lifts. The hotels and restaurants can be privatised. He said that the Serbian Government intends to privatise Brezovica as it considers it to be its own property. It is clear that the municipality there and the people understand the importance of the privatisation of the enterprise. My obligation is for the entire process to proceed forward. All others, also a part of UNMIK have the same duty.

ECIKS
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM   #65
SkaNdErBeG

Kosovo: KTA launches the 30th wave of Privatisation

Quote:
Prishtina, 17 November 2007 –The Kosovo Trust Agency (KTA) formally launched the 30th wave of privatisation of "Socially Owned Enterprises" (SOEs).

The list of privatisation tenders for the 30th wave includes 9 SOEs. This will create 10 New Companies (NewCo’s).

All 10 NewCo’s will be privatized via regular spin-off.

The pre-qualification deadline is: January 16, 2008.
The Bid Date for submitting bids to the KTA is: January 23, 2008.

Following SOEs will be tendered in this round

NewCo Agricultural Land in Nec 2 L.L.C. - the main assets of this Subsidiary comprise agricultural land located in outskirts of the village of Sllatinë in Viti Municipality. The total land to be transferred to the Subsidiary is approximately 45 ha. Most of the land was used for growing wheat, barley and corn. However it has not been tended regularly in the last years.

NewCo Grafikos L.L.C. - is a printing house located in Gjilan town. The Subsidiary provides services like: printing school books, note books of different formats, labels, lank forms, prospects and different advertising materials. The main assets of this Subsidiary comprise the printing house premises located in Gjilan town that together with administration space comprise of 1,433m². The building was constructed in 1977 and it is in good condition. Total land area inside the fence is 3,510 m².

NewCo AC Turiqevci L.L.C. - provides the potential investor with an excellent opportunity for any types of business, comprising of 4,329m² of land, several buildings, as well as a convenient location in village Turiqevci, Skenderaj Region.

NewCo Nevolan L.L.C. - agriculture land, located in village Nevolane, municipality of Vushtrri, comprises of approximately 25 hectares of land.

NewCo Bujqësia - Agricultural Land Sverka L.L.C. - is located in Klinë Municipality. The landholding proposed for this tender includes approximately 85.3 hectares of agricultural land, located in cadastral zones of Sverka and Kliqina in Klinë Municipality.

NewCo Bujqësia Agricultural Land Kliqina L.L.C. - provides investors with the opportunity to acquire about 78.5 ha of agricultural land. The landholding is located in cadastral zones of Sverka and Kliqina in Klinë Municipality.

NewCo Fryti L.L.C. - with cooperative administration building and depots and approximately 1.06.52 hectares (1 0652 m²) of land.

NewCo Gadime Quarry L.L.C. - is located in Gadime, Municipality of Lipjan, and includes a land parcel of approx. 62,904 m². The Enterprise in the past was composed of "Lignite Quarry" which since 1990's is not operating and the "Stone Quarry" called today "Seperacioni i Gurëve". This Enterprise is involved in production of Gravel fractions and Filer (stone power) required mostly for the road construction.

NewCo Agricultural land Shkabaj L.L.C. - provides the potential investor with an excellent opportunity to acquire very good agriculture land most of it under irrigation infrastructure of Iber Lepenci irrigation company. The enterprise is comprised of approximately 298 hectares of agricultural land divided in the following Cadastral zones: :Shkabaj/Orlloviq, Prishtina, Krushefc, Fushe Kosove. The new co comprises as well machinery service unit with agriculture machinery in Shkabaj village.

NewCo Forestry Suhareka – Administrative Building L.L.C. - the NewCo is comprised of one Administration Building of approximately 251 m². The total land inclusive of the building above is approximately 3,344 m². The Subsidiary is located near the market in Suhareka.

More information at www.kta-kosovo.org

ECIKS
Old November 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM   #66
SkaNdErBeG

European standards for construction are approved
Quote:
The Ministry of Trade and Industry has adopted European Directive 89/106 EEC, which deals with the control of construction products. Leaders of the MTI, experts in the construction field estimate that the introduction and implementation of the European Directive accurately will create opportunities for responsible institutions for quality control of imported construction products, for some which there are suspicions that they are of doubtful origin. This European Directive obliges all countries that aim to be members of European Union to draft laws and other standards for regulation and supervision of construction product quality.

Within the framework of this directive, Kosovo has so far approved the Law on construction products and the Law on inspection of construction products. Also, Kosovo has established the Standardization Agency, the Accreditation Unit, and the Department of Metrology. The director of the Construction Department, Naim Mahmutaj, has stated that through the adoption of this directive, Kosovo provides free circulation of its construction products in the European market.
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM   #67
Pejoni

Likes (Received): 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaNdErBeG View Post

Acda: Brezovica ski-resort to be privatised in spring

About fcukin time, wonder who will buy it? There were rumours from several well-known companies showing interest such as those from Austria, Germany, Croatia and Israel
Pejoni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:14 PM   #68
Canadianin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian1972 View Post

I don't think Independance to Kosovo could be good for it's economy, especially since everything seems to be connected to Serbia and lately I saw in the news that 70% of Kosovo's export goes to Serbia. What if Serbia put an embargo on them? They will have the land but how will they live?

Also, there was a special fund of developpment exclusevly for Kosovo in the Ex-Yougoslavia and every republic contributed to it still, it wasn't enough to bring Kosovo to stand on it's own because the constant growth of population destroys any attemp to get a viable economy.
Canadianin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:26 PM   #69
SkaNdErBeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianin View Post
I don't think Independance to Kosovo could be good for it's economy, especially since everything seems to be connected to Serbia and lately I saw in the news that 70% of Kosovo's export goes to Serbia. What if Serbia put an embargo on them? They will have the land but how will they live?

Also, there was a special fund of developpment exclusevly for Kosovo in the Ex-Yougoslavia and every republic contributed to it still, it wasn't enough to bring Kosovo to stand on it's own because the constant growth of population destroys any attemp to get a viable economy.
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM   #70
7t

Just found this exclusive, never before seen photo of Canadian on his Myspace page

7t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:57 AM   #71
Pejoni

Likes (Received): 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianin View Post

I dont think the current status Kosova enjoys is good for its economy or being part of Serbia, we all remember how much Yugoslavia invested on Kosova's infrastructure and what happend when Serbs went amok in 90's. What goes for the "embargo", what I remember the organization "Self-Determination" (Vetevendosje) where advocating for boycotts of all Serbian products. Serbia got furious and Tadiq had to travel all the way to Brussel, who in other hand had to tell UNMIK to stop the organisations action what concerns the boycott, so... good luck!
Pejoni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #72
liburni
Pse Jo??

Aviation companies ask to increase number of flights in PIA (Kosova Sot)

Quote:
Kosova Sot reported on the 121st Conference of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) on planning flights for 2008, which concluded yesterday in Toronto, Canada. During the conference, the Prishtina International Airport was represented by PIA Official Driton Hyseni and spokesman Skender Bucolli.

The Prishtina Airport issued a press release reporting that many meetings were held with the representatives of more than 20 aviation companies.

“International aviation companies highly estimate the work and services offered by PIA. Hence, new airline companies are interested to operate in our airport. Current companies have also requested the increase of number of flights,” reads the press release.

As reported, international aviation companies were notified that Managing Director Afrim Aziri and management are already looking into ways on how to implement the request.
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #73
liburni
Pse Jo??

Heavy fog paralyses the airport (most dailies, KTV)

Quote:
Yesterday, due to the heavy fog and limited visibility, Prishtina International Airport (PIA) has cancelled almost all of the flights. According to the PIA officials, during the day only first two landing could be done, whereas the rest were done in Macedonia, respectively in Skopje Airport. Through a press release, the PIA advised to all passengers to contact their airline companies for additional information.

Afrim Aziri, PIA managing director, told to Express that on Thursday, today, for two to three hours the visibility will be better and some of the flights can be made. Because of the fog, the airlines operating in Kosovo said that the losses are quite big, but they will know more on the exact figure after two or three days. “There was a big mess at the PIA. We had to land in other airports, in Skopje, Tirana, etc. The Government should do something regarding the function of the airport in Gjakova,” said Ilir Rama, the director of Altavia Travel.
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #74
liburni
Pse Jo??

The tube factory sold (several dailies)

Quote:
The KTA has informed on Wednesday, yesterday, on the sale of the tube factory in Ferizaj. The factory was sold for €3,7 m to the offer with the code P139. The offer promised investments with €13,2 m and opening 360 working places. The buyer does not guaranty the employment of all former workers, but hopes that they will be re-hired when the factory is revitalised.

According to the KTA, the buyer invites the interested, especially the former workers, to submit their employment applications that can be found/taken at the entrance of the IMK tube factory.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #75
liburni
Pse Jo??

Some pictures of the Energy sector:

Old November 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #76
liburni
Pse Jo??

Old November 25th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #77
liburni
Pse Jo??

Old November 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #78
liburni
Pse Jo??

Old November 25th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #79
Canadianin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejoni View Post
I dont think the current status Kosova enjoys is good for its economy or being part of Serbia, we all remember how much Yugoslavia invested on Kosova's infrastructure and what happend when Serbs went amok in 90's. What goes for the "embargo", what I remember the organization "Self-Determination" (Vetevendosje) where advocating for boycotts of all Serbian products. Serbia got furious and Tadiq had to travel all the way to Brussel, who in other hand had to tell UNMIK to stop the organisations action what concerns the boycott, so... good luck!
It's true current status is not good for its econmy but it could be even worse if it gains Independance and Serbs block the trade with you. Just recently, Serbs were threatening of doing that and plus they had banned some ressources for export because of the hot summer (The ban was not only directed to Kosovo). The result: the prices of vital products in Kosovo went up 100% imagine what effect would a total Embargo have.

And it's funny to think a boycott from Albanians would have an effect on Serbian economy especially when 70% of your exports goes to Serbia, you can only hurt yourself.

I think the best solution for you is to stay within Serbia with full autonomy and in some years, you could even have the whole Serbia. It is projected that if Kosovo stays within Serbia, Albanians would be 56% of population in 2030 and 70% in 2040 so Serbia could be yours. While if you seperate now Serbs would block your entrance and your developpment in Serbia...

Last edited by Canadianin; November 25th, 2007 at 01:52 PM.
Canadianin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #80
SkaNdErBeG

no thanks... we can be neighbours - as two separate independent states.. but nothing more...

Tags
albania, kosova perjete shqiptare