daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #1
singaporean

Likes (Received): 181

PAKISTAN | The Aviation Sector (part II)

HYDERABAD: President Hyderabad Chamber of Commerce and Industry (HCCI) Masood Pervez has said that red tape is creating hindrance in the resumption of air service from Hyderabad and demanded removal of the hurdle.

“Despite assuring required business from Hyderabad, the airlines are delaying resumption of service from Hyderabad airport,” he said while addressing the opening of a branch of Polani Travel.

He said denying air service from Hyderabad airport was injustice with the people and business community of Hyderabad.

He quoted the officials of civil aviation authority as saying that facility for small planes is available at Hyderabad airport, which is the only small airport that has night landing facility.

Masood Pervez said that it is observed that planes have made emergency landing in Hyderabad and passengers have been boarded in buses for their onward journey to Karachi.

He quoted director Civil Aviation Authority as telling a chamber delegation that there is no hindrance in resuming flights from Hyderabad.

HCCI president urged the airline companies to start flights from Hyderabad to Lahore, Islamabad, Sukkur and Larkana and assured complete support of HCCI in this regard.

Speaking at the occasion, the host of the programme Yahya Polani said that Hyderabad is located at an impressive location as small airports are necessary near the international airports.

He said that he would talk to the Pakistan International Airlines for resumption of flights from Hyderabad airport.

He assured better services for passengers of Hyderabad within their city through providing reservation and booking for up country and international flights.

Large number of business community members including HCCI Azizuddin Arain, Amin Khatri, Iqbal Ghousia, MNA Pervez Qureshi, MPA Naeem Ishtiaq, MPA Abdul Rehman Rajput and others attended the programme.

http://thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=15476
singaporean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 25th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Khanrak
SECULARISM

Likes (Received): 105

The Aviation Sector (part II)

EDIT by kbboy: Aviation Industry Part I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiamuRathka View Post
Why? Is he supposed to be good?
I like seeing religious minorities in high positions in Pakistan - makes me think Pakistan is more tolerant than I sometimes think it is.

Why do states that enforce Sharia always end up as the world's most repressive states?

Last edited by KB; February 25th, 2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added link to previous thread
Khanrak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #3
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 8229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanrak View Post
I like seeing religious minorities in high positions in Pakistan - makes me think Pakistan is more tolerant than I sometimes think it is.
Pakistan is more tolerant, than what many people think.
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #4
cntower
دل دل پاکستان

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by traPPed View Post
Pakistan is more tolerant, than what many people think.
It is more tolerant than people think. This really didn't get much coverage, but a Pakistan Hindu was recently appointed adviser to control all the Madrasaas in Pakistan.

Amar Lal is the Prime Minister of Pakistan's advisor to minority affairs in the country. He was recently appointed by Muhammadmian Soomro as special adviser to the control of madrassas in Pakistan

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...0-1-2008_pg1_6
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #5
KB

Likes (Received): 4904

not to forget justice bhagwandaas...not that it has anything to do with aviation.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
cntower
دل دل پاکستان

PIA Sialkot-Kuwait Flights Soon

Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has decided to finalize necessary arrangements for starting direct flight from Sialkot to Kuwait shortly. This was stated by Chief Executive Sialkot International Airport Khawar Anwar Khawaja. At present PIA was already successfully operating two flights weekly from Sialkot to Karachi while third flight would operational early next on the same route. Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) is taking the step keeping in view the highly encouraging response of passengers, he said.

Khawar Khawaja further said that foreign investors constantly are showing their keen interest to invest in different projects including the construction of a five star hotel near Sialkot International Airport.

The functioning of airport in this export-oriented city and hub of cottage industry of the country would not only opening new vista of development, foreign investment and industrial development but it would help further accelerate the pace of trade commerce activities, he added.

The airport will not only cater the needs of golden industrial triangle of Sialkot, Gujranwala and Gujrat but also generate thousands employment opportunities, he added. It may be mentioned that most modern Apron having the parking capacity for six wide-bodies aircraft or three airbus plus F-27 aircraft had been constructed at the airport. Besides 3600-metre long, 45-metre wide taxiway had been constructed.

The longest international runway of the country measuring 3.6-km had been constructed and it will cater the requirement of all aircraft used for international and domestic cargo and passenger traffic. The professionally designed International Airport has been developed over 1004 acres and fully equipped for handling B747-400, A300 and 737 aircraft.

The potential traffic forecast for Sialkot international airport is scaled down at the time of opening to 53,0339 passengers a year while estimated cargo tonnage at the time of opening is expected to be 28515 tons.

This means that by the end of year 2012 about 53,000 tones of cargo will be lifted from Sialkot International Airport. Due to the provision of passenger facilities at Sialkot International Airport, it was estimated that the general public would benefit to the tune of over Rs 2 billion in terms of time and money savings. Similarly, cargo handling at the airport would save more than Rs 1 billion for the businesses.

Source: Unique Pakistan

Old January 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Pakia
Paiwasta Reh Shajr say..

Likes (Received): 4765

Good news, even with scaled down forecasts.

Didn't know that SIA was already operational, hopefully it will fully take off and help trade further.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak because I wasn't a Catholic.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me."

We need to learn from past, and we need to do it real fast, before its too late.
Pakia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #8
cntower
دل دل پاکستان

I wonder why they didn't start flights to Dubai from Sialkot. I'm guessing Kuwait has a lot of Sialkotis.
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #9
spyk

Likes (Received): 25

guys, does anyone know anything about PIA and if/when it will be privatised
spyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #10
karachiite8heart

Likes (Received): 7

i doubt if the politicians will let go of PIA.. how else will Musharraf be able to divert a plane load of people enroute to nyc-jfk to boston to see his son...

i heard airblue is doing good.. new planes.. "beautiful" service..
karachiite8heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #11
cntower
دل دل پاکستان

^ Actually many of the PIA employees and shareholders are against privatization as well. I doubt it's going to be anytime soon.

AirBlue is the fastest growing airline in Pakistan now. This is the first time PIA hasn't been on the list, infact there was no list before since PIA had a monopoly but AirBlue is doing really good.

Can't wait to see those dreamliners in AirBlue colours!
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #12
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 2533

Of course PIA emloyees would be against privatization. Who wants to lose his job?
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Red aRRow
Kickin arse since 19xx

Likes (Received): 330

Red aRRow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:02 AM   #14
Khanrak
SECULARISM

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by secularpakistan View Post
guys, does anyone know anything about PIA and if/when it will be privatised

Honestly, if PIA is ever privatized, I think it will be too later to salvage it by that time. PIA's problem isn't that its a government owned entity, its just so incredibly inefficient - I really wish we could take a lesson from Singapore on this one! PIA seriously needs to fire over half of its workforce, and retrain the other half before its fortunes can turn around. And chances are that if it were ever to be privatized, the airline would have some stipulation in there saying that the new company couldnt fire any of the current workers, of which the airline has far too many.

Why do states that enforce Sharia always end up as the world's most repressive states?
Khanrak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:09 AM   #15
cntower
دل دل پاکستان

AirBlue Growth Beats PIA On Domestic Routes

By By Saad Hasan
1/8/2008

KARACHI: The number of domestic passengers who preferred travelling in private airline Airblue has grown whereas the national flag carrier Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) is losing its popularity, data compiled by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) revealed.

According to provisional aviation statistics for the year 2006-07, Airblue carried 1.4 million passengers in 2006-07, up around 7.7 per cent from previous year’s 1.3 million it carried between different cities of Pakistan. The PIA, faced with accumulated losses of more than Rs35 billion, lost domestic market share by 5.7 per cent as it carried five million passengers compared to 5.3 million during the period under review. “Airblue has capitalised on Aero Asia clientele,” said an industry official. “The market lost by Aero Asia in the last couple of years has been taken over by Airblue.”

After more than a decade of successful operations, Aero Asia was barred from flying by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) in May last year owing to safety concerns. Aero Asia carried more than one million passengers in fiscal 2004-05 but the number shrank to 756,308 in the following year and dropped to 278,900 in 2006-07. In contrast, Airblue, which started with only 22,320 passengers in 2003-04, carried 1.4 million passengers in the last fiscal year.

“Besides, PIA has suffered from a very bad punctuality record in the last couple of years,” continued the official who requested not to be named. “This irregularity and financial woes of PIA have also worked to the advantage of Airblue.” The private carrier has also emerged as a leader in introducing innovation in the aviation industry of the country. It brought the self check-in facility at its Karachi’s hub of Jinnah International Airport whereby passengers with baggage obtain a boarding card through the touch screen menu without needing to report to the counter.

The concept of booking-first-to-get-the-lowest-fare has also contributed to advance of Airblue in gaining the market share. PIA is now following the suit and has adopted the same strategy. Airblue with its six A320 and A321 aircraft was also able to ride the tide of rising fuel cost, which bankrupted many airlines across the world.

Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, the Chief Executive Officer and the brain behind the success of the private airline is confident that future fuel-related price shocks would be sustained. “We are in a phase of growth,” he told The News. “With aggressive revenue management and increasing the number of passengers we will make through this period.” However, he hinted that few cost elements would be passed on in fares and others would be absorbed through operation of the aircraft on profitable routes.

Around 305,370 passengers travelled by Shaheen Air International (SAI) in 2006-07 as compared to 55,670 in the previous year. On the international front, PIA carried 3.59 million passengers in 2006-07, Airblue 237,170 and SAI 198,067. Except for the flag carrier, the two domestic airlines have registered growth in previous year.

Source: The News
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM   #16
Dallas1

Likes (Received): 762

CEO of AirBlue is running for NA from Muree on PML-N's ticket wonder what impact thats going to have on AirBlue after the elections
Dallas1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:28 PM   #17
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas1 View Post
CEO of AirBlue is running for NA from Muree on PML-N's ticket wonder what impact thats going to have on AirBlue after the elections
I lost all respect for him.
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:40 PM   #18
FK
Retired

Likes (Received): 1218

I dont think you can, can you?

EDIT: I meant run for elections while being employed.
FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:51 PM   #19
KB

Likes (Received): 4904

Its a private co.

You cannot run if you're holding a govt. job

Last edited by KB; February 1st, 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: edited the mistake
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:02 PM   #20
Red aRRow
Kickin arse since 19xx

Likes (Received): 330