search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates > Completed Projects and Thread Archive > Completed Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1021
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

Man, I hate teabreakes!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1022
thedubailife
To Infinty and Beyond

Likes (Received): 1

If only it was a teabreak, as far as we know a main contract not been choosen. I'm sure once they have a main contractor there will still be a time lapse.

This teabreak probaly take as long as ti takes for tea to grow, be picked and endup in a cup
thedubailife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #1023
Hanna

Likes (Received): 0

Ocean Heights semi-permanent hold mode

No contractor as yet Negotiations still in progress,as long as they are negotiations they cannot announce the launch of Ocean Heights 2
I don't think they would get many mugs to buy into that project unless they
see a modicum of building work done on Ocean Heights 1 even there great
spin machine would have trouble in achieving this feat.
Hanna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #1024
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6027

The latest Imre's pictures show some very interesting details. You can see that the old piles for the 50F design are still there and not removed.

Also you can see that soon the site will become again a mini-pool, as it was 2.5 years ago when Tom_Green first documented it
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #1025
Morrismarina

Last edited by Morrismarina; June 16th, 2007 at 11:42 PM.
Morrismarina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1026
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The latest Imre's pictures show some very interesting details. You can see that the old piles for the 50F design are still there and not removed.

Also you can see that soon the site will become again a mini-pool, as it was 2.5 years ago when Tom_Green first documented it
Hi AltinD

When I went to the site they told me they where adding to the original
piles they have included the extra ones into the new build as required.
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #1027
AltinD
The Modecator

Based on what I see, the correct term/phrase would have been: "... In addition to the piles being casted now, we are using also some of the piles that were already casted as per the previous (50F) design."

... so some, not all of them.
I can cheat you blind.

Old June 17th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #1028
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Based on what I see, the correct term/phrase would have been: "... In addition to the piles being casted now, we are using also some of the piles that were already casted as per the previous (50F) design."

... so some, not all of them.
Hi AltinD

'At the end of the day it is night'

I don't get your point about the extra piles, I saw them been put in for the new build as per the schedule.

Who cares about piles and all the rest till the main contractor is assigned we are stuck and Damac and the rest of the clients are going nowhere

Last edited by Hanna; June 17th, 2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old June 17th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #1029
AltinD
The Modecator

Well, mine was just an observation related to the skyscraper under discussion, not connected at all to the marketing and other stuff behind it.
I can cheat you blind.

Old June 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #1030
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

This is weird.
These are damac's latest updates for this tower. What's this?

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #1031
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

that looks like ocean heights 2 plot and not ocean heights
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #1032
minime

Likes (Received): 1

I think it will be impossible to built this tower. Ever.... Reason is not technical but pure economical, Consider this:

In the past year the price of construction went up with 30% in the gulf countries. That means that Damac's profit has evaporated and I am not sure how much profit is left or if they are at a loss already.

Last year construction workers wages went up with 20% on average.

Steel - construction beams: Prices up 80% compared to last year.

Cement: Prices change every week. No planning possible on this one.

enforcement steel: 40% more expensive than last year.

What do you think. Will DAMAC ever be able to construct this tower or reimburse their clients if they fail? The key to successfull skyscraper develoment is to finish within the timeframe or all costs spiral out of control.
minime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #1033
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime View Post
I think it will be impossible to built this tower. Ever.... Reason is not technical but pure economical, Consider this:

In the past year the price of construction went up with 30% in the gulf countries. That means that Damac's profit has evaporated and I am not sure how much profit is left or if they are at a loss already.

Last year construction workers wages went up with 20% on average.

Steel - construction beams: Prices up 80% compared to last year.

Cement: Prices change every week. No planning possible on this one.

enforcement steel: 40% more expensive than last year.

What do you think. Will DAMAC ever be able to construct this tower or reimburse their clients if they fail? The key to successfull skyscraper develoment is to finish within the timeframe or all costs spiral out of control.

Hi minime

Thats what I told Damac top people a year and a half ago that it was impossible to build at there launch price.They replied they had done a lot of forword buying contracts to cope with this event, they also said that there prices were a lot higher at launch to take care of this problem if it happened.
Going on there past records I think its the usaul spin and lies routine to be honest
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #1034
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Well, they might have priced the apartments higher than usual to cope with something like this but they've left it for way too long so the safety limit has probably passed. The longer they leave it the worse the problem will be.
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #1035
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

There's a good reason why NYC doesn't have 50 supertalls, they're bloody expensive to build and to tell the truth, I don't think Dubai will have either.
Up until now buildings were cheap to build with labour, materials and land being very cheap which meant supertalls could be built and be profitable. Of course this situation will get worse when prices start to go down eventually.

I know there are shitloads of proposals but people shouldn't take everything for granted. If they end up with 10 supertalls to roof that would still be amazing (by roof I include substantial spires such as marina 101 but not pole-like ones like burj al arab) considering Chicago right now has 3 (will have 6), NYC will have 7 or 8 eventually. Right now there are 3 (emirates office tower, rose rotana and burj dubai), in a few months there will be 5 and in 2 years there'll be 8. After that who knows but the building boom can't last forever.
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1036
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Well, they might have priced the apartments higher than usual to cope with something like this but they've left it for way too long so the safety limit has probably passed. The longer they leave it the worse the problem will be.
Hi malec

I was told last week the contractor they chose has pulled out and they are
now in talks with the one that lost the bid.How can any sane person believe anything Damac reps say they have lied since day one.I think they are buying time on this one till all the signature Apartments have been sold then they might announce the design is not practical (in other words no profit in it) and build some high cheap costing box in its place.They cannot get into trouble with any one from the Government they are another joke,the papers are gagged so what can you do either take the new building or get your money back,they then have achieved what they may have wanted all along.When you think about the years of delays it is a disgrace that they let it run away from them through shear incompetance and the man I would point the finger at is that Fat Clown who masquarades as the CEO 'Peter cowboy Riddoch'

Last edited by Hanna; June 19th, 2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #1037
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

They pulled out? Any reason why? And who was the contractor?

If the worst does happen it'll probably be Peter Riddoch who takes all the blame while some others such as this guy run away with the millions.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #1038
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
They pulled out? Any reason why? And who was the contractor?

If the worst does happen it'll probably be Peter Riddoch who takes all the blame while some others such as this guy run away with the millions.

Hi malec

Still waiting for a answer on the above questions I expect something like
this: we are not able to discuss private tenders with our clients because of business etiquette,as far as the other contractor is concerned we are in negotiations at present and as said before we cannot say at this crucial point as who the winning bidder is.

That is if you believe there was a contractor in the first place which I don't
if they would give you a lead of some sort you could start some investigations on who they are.But as Damac are in Dubai they do what they want their doesn't seem to be any rules or time limits on anything the developers do, its a disgrace what they can do with impunity.There is no one who can give them a roasting at any of there fancy meetings or gala's and behind closed doors with no press they can lie and spin till there hearts content.There main power in all this is all the clients are seperate and each client will be told any sorts of drival by Damac knowing fine well the clients will not get together and cause a major upset in Dubai to make the Government sit up and take notice this is my view on the whole matter.
Company's like Damac will eventually cause concern and maybe just maybe the slack ass Government will open there eyes and ears to what Damac are doing to there clients in Dubai.

Last edited by Hanna; June 20th, 2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #1039
nidoenator

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Rea.../10133765.html
nidoenator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1040
Dubai Dave

Arabtec has won a AED645 million ($175.6 million) contract to build the Ocean Heights I tower in Dubai Marina, the company said on Monday.

The UAE construction firm said work on Damac’s 81-storey tower would take place over the next 36 months.

“Arabtec is pleased to add this project to its iconic projects spread all over the UAE. The nature and construction period of this project shows Arabtec’s commitments toward its clients to deliver its projects on time to the highest quality,” commented Riad Kamal, managing director of Arabtec.

Earlier this month Arabtec was awarded a $211.8 million to expand the National Exhibition Centre in Abu Dhabi, including the construction of a 60,000 square metre extension to the existing exhibition hall and two large parking structures totaling to 235,000 square metres.
Dubai Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai, dubai marina