search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Bulgaria > Regional Bulgaria > Sofia

Sofia Buildings | Сгради

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #81
new bulgaria

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrs View Post
Well, that's stereotypes mostly I think that comes from the fact that I'm an IT. Those in the pharmacy area are more privilleged than us. After all, we can all read those stupid .pdf documents and take an online test if needed, argh I should have chosen another job. I was thinking of studying architecture just like my father back then, ehhh...my idiotic obsession about operating systems and software, ugh

At least, unlike my colleagues in the commercial sector, now I have plenty of spare time to write in the SSC
At least you are hanging out in an arichitecure/urban development forum.

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #82
JloKyM

Likes (Received): 11521

here you go, some pictures of NDK

and more pictures...Unfortunately i cant find pictures of the underground part of the complex.
Gallery
JloKyM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #83
bgrs
dRusenec :)

Likes (Received): 3411

Quote:
At least you are hanging out in an arichitecure/urban development forum.
I was even attending some drawing courses prior to my exams at UASG. This was the spring/summer after my bad experience at AUBG. My parents wanted me to become an architect till I decided to tell'em don't wanna do that and I have a different idea on my mind. Surprisingly, it was not so shocking to them. I really can't draw very good. I wanted to deal with IT, I've even did some IT freelancing jobs before that. I've been dealing with operating systems and programming since I was in the elementary school. Anyway, that's a long story. I prefer being a good (haha) lazy system admin than a bad, bad architect

Anyway, now I can do some relatively good hand drawings and my colleagues really like them Some network plans, virtualisation schemes (we're going cuttin' edge baby :P ), VLANs and ip allocation, etc. They even asked me if I'd attended some drawing courses buhaha

Last edited by bgrs; September 30th, 2007 at 08:39 PM.
bgrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #84
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 8980

Quote:
Well, that's stereotypes mostly I think that comes from the fact that I'm an IT. Those in the pharmacy area are more privilleged than us. After all, we can all read those stupid .pdf documents and take an online test if needed, argh I should have chosen another job. I was thinking of studying architecture just like my father back then, ehhh...my idiotic obsession about operating systems and software, ugh

At least, unlike my colleagues in the commercial departments, now I have plenty of spare time to write in the SSC
Sent You a PM!

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #85
Qtya
sensational

Quote:
Originally Posted by JloKyM View Post
here you go, some pictures of NDK

and more pictures...Unfortunately i cant find pictures of the underground part of the complex.
Gallery
Thank You very much!

God its a monster...

II. János Pál pápa
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #86
bgrs

Yep, thanks again

As for the NDK....that's really a monster One of the buildings the commies were so proud of
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #87
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
BTW my girlfriend is already at Budapest, her hotel is near the National Opera (wherever this is..).
[...]
BTW can you tell me some nice sights near the Opera? She recently asked me about this on the ICQ
A stroll on Andrássy Avenue up to Hősök tere (Heroes' Square) is a must! That's what I'd do if I were staying near the Opera. And if she's tired, on the way back she can take the Millenium metro.

bgrs, I don't like what you say (it doesn't sound too good). I'm studying IT (actually economic informatics) and I've asked myself many times if it'll be worth it.
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #88
Qtya
sensational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
A stroll on Andrássy Avenue up to Hősök tere (Heroes' Square) is a must! That's what I'd do if I were staying near the Opera. And if she's tired, on the way back she can take the Millenium metro.
PM to bgrs...

"Your girlfriend is I think staying at the K+K HOTEL OPERA. Its a nice four star Hotel. This hotel enjoys great popularity due to its unbeatable location next to the Opera House. Many other attractions are nearby including Heroes' Square, City Park and the World Heritage Castle District. She should walk on the Andrássy boulvard which is located in front of the Opera, and take the millenial underground(nicely refurbished) and go to Hősök square. Beautiful at night. There she can find the Museum of Fine Arts. Its a "Must see" when traveling to Budapest. I don't know how much time she has, but from the Opera or from the Hotel the Deák square is just five minutes on foot, but she can take the millenial underground too. It stops at Deák tér (square) too. Budapest is unbeatable by night, so from Deák square she should walk to the Danube. Its really beautiful by night. She should ask for a map or assistance at the Hotel lobby, and she should say she would like to go to Vörösmarthy square and Vigadó square. (Few minutes on foot from Deák square. On the banks of the Danube she should walk towards Chain Bridge, impossible to miss... Than back. At the Chain bridge next to the Four Seasons Gresham Palace (Hotel) there is a very good club named CREOL, if she prefers. Next day she should walk around the Parlament building of Hungary. From Deák square she should take Metro line 2 (RED) and get off at Kossuth square. If she has still time than the World Heritage Castle District must be visited too!!! Fastest take the RED subway line again (from Kossuth square after she visited the Parlament) and get off at Moszkva tér (square) and there ask for the VÁR BUSZ (Castle bus), that will take her directly to the castle district. But to get to the castle district I would suggest a nother way. Return to the Chain bridge (LÁNCHÍD), go through it, over the Danube. When arriving to the western side of the city named Buda, she will automaticly see the Funicular ("like a lift") that will take her to the Castle. She should choose this way.
If she wants to shop: The K+K Hotel Opera is situated in the city centre of Budapest close to the Opera House, the main attractions and the "Váci utca", pedestrian shopping area. "

II. János Pál pápa
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #89
billyandmandy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JloKyM View Post
Et pourquoi, monsieur, vous ne comprenez pas?
"The Court House" is on Vitosha blvd. На български-Съдебната палата..
The museum is next to The CCS(City Center Sofia), next to Hilton and near Hemus hotel...на български-музея Земята и хората..
you are mistaking, I fear. There is no such thing as an existing tunnel underneath Vitosha blvd. Around NDK- yes, but not under the boulevard. There is a tunnel from the Earth and Man Museum to the crossing of Patriarch Evtimii and Vitosha. Not further. I am perplexed that a person such as yourself, obviously interested in the city public transport network, and not only, thinks that there is a tunnel underneath Vitoshka. I am becoming repetitive with all these "tunnel" and "Vitosha". Good evening.
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #90
bgrs

Well, I've done with my bachelor's degree about 2 years ago. These days (actually last week), I enrolled for a masters programme at another university (NBU). The good thing about IT is that you get a higher salary than the average one and your job is...lazy (unless you are a developer and you have strict deadlines). The bad things are many though...you should always learn and understand new things. It all changes constantly. Years ago, I hated all object-oriented programming, now languages like C or perl (w/o the object extensions and not C++ which is OOP) are archaic for Christ's sake! After that I was sick of Oracle RDBMS and j2ee, I hated them, I was (and still I am a fan of LAMP)...but now I'm keen on studying Java (j2ee) and Oracle is widely used in my company. Things are changing faster than I wished, blah

Now they're talking about some bullshits, man. Java-based message buses that connect to various subsystems via various protocols (FTP, rsync, http, even some nuts xml-based communications). Those idiocracies are shouted as the "heart of your business". There are some java apps running under the j2ee server (BEA weblogic or smth like that) that are developed....welll...I can't say that's something I'm used to...For example, that's the pageflow of an ecommerce site under BEA weblogic, LOL

WTF IS THIS!!!

Last edited by bgrs; September 30th, 2007 at 10:00 PM.
bgrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #91
JloKyM

Likes (Received): 11521

18 trams will be modernized. The model is old Bulgarian model (Bulgaria 1300) , probably 20-25 years old. So...

BEFORE:

NOW:

JloKyM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #92
Gastly
Bulgarian

Likes (Received): 1

They look nice
Gastly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #93
ВОДА
on the move

S O F I A Subway/Metro/U-Bahn

S O F I A Subway/Metro/U-Bahn

Sofia Metro has only 8 stations which operate nowadays and 6 stations under construction, because it is very new with its less than 10 years operational history, but when it get ready according to the last plans it will have at least 50 stations! Which is not bad for our 2 mln. capital city Sofia.

Scheme

Fares

Single - 0.70 BGN (lev) = 0.35 Euro

1-Day Pass (all modes) - 3.00 BGN (lev) = 1.5 Euro

Some additional info

Planned since the 1960s, the Sofia Metro was not officially launched until 28 January 1998, largely because the city did not experience an urgent need for a subway system until the 1990s. Another factor was the depth construction works had to take place in — being one of the oldest cities in Europe, Sofia contains many historical layers right underneath its very core. Evidence of antiquity can be clearly seen at the Serdika Station, a mixture of unearthed Thracian and Roman ruins and modern architecture.

The first section was finished and started on 28 January 1998, with 5 stations and a length of 6.5 km from Slivnitsa Boulevard through Lyulin to K. Velichkov Boulevard. Opalchenska station was opened on 17 September 1999 and Serdika station on St Neledya Square followed on 31 October 2000, making the total length 8.1 km.

In April 2003, the functioning section was connected to another one from Obelya, 1.8 km in length.

The metro's lengthening continued in 2005 (as planned in 2004), from St Nedelya Square through the centre of the city to Interpred in Izgrev. The completion terms of the three new station are for autumn 2007, but a slight delay is anticipated. Meanwhile the construction of a new metro station started in June 2006 also planned to be finished by autumn 2007. The new station is located on the crossing of Andrey Saharov Blvd. and will be used mainly by the inhabitants of the Mladost 1 living complex.

Construction of a 4.2-km line between the Central Railway Station and Hemus Hotel is planned to start in the second half of 2007.

Work on two further extensions of the main line — from Mladost to Sofia Airport and from Mladost to Business Park Sofia is planned to begin in 2008.

Serdika station

Last edited by ВОДА; December 25th, 2007 at 11:18 PM.
ВОДА no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #94
ВОДА
on the move

New renders

Musagenitza station /G.M. Dimitrov Boul./

Studentska station /Vartopo bridge/

Last edited by ВОДА; December 25th, 2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #95
ВОДА
on the move

New trains for Obelya - Interpred/World Trade Center Sofia

Last edited by ВОДА; December 26th, 2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #96
Dinuś
Railfan

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinsa View Post

Sofia Metro has only 8 stations which operate nowadays and 6 stations under construction, because it is very new with its less than 10 years operational history, but when it get ready according to the last plans it will have at least 50 stations! Which is not bad for our 2 mln. capital city Sofia.
I'm not trying to be picky but as far as I know Sofia's population doesn't exceed 1,5 milion and Wikipedia proved it right saying it has 1,270,010 in the city proper as well as 1,386,702 in the metropolitan area.

Apart from that I wanted to say that Sofia's situation is similar to the one of Warsaw, a city of comparable size with only one subway line not finished yet, though there are two times as many stations in Warsaw as in Sofia.
I guess the only capital city in Europe of that size not having a subway is Belgrade, hopefully it will catch up with the others in the near future.
Dinuś no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #97
SouthernEuropean

Likes (Received): 40

ops..i didnt even know since today that Sofia has a subway system..could someone direct me to a relevant thread about Sofia's underground system?from those pics it looks good

✤WELCOME TO MY CITY PROJECT✤
♔DERMOND♔
SouthernEuropean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #98
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7417

^
"could someone direct me to a relevant thread about Sofia's underground system"

I think this is it
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #99
bgrs

There is no separate thread about Sofia's metro system. We usually discuss it in the Sofia - construction thread. Anyway, here are some more photos I found in a quick search. Here they are (some of them are bad quality or old, sorry):

Serdika station: perhaps the most important one, cause it is located right next to the government buildings, many ministries, the Presidency, etc.

image hosted on flickr

I think beinsa posted a photo of its interior.

This is from Opalchenska station:

image hosted on flickr

Liulin (perhaps)?

image hosted on flickr

Obelia in the suburbs, the station actually is above ground:

image hosted on flickr

And those are from the expansion of 1st line, near the Interpred station:

image hosted on flickr

This is from the expansion of Serdika station, it's a tough job, cause there are some old churches and the old Roman walls of the city and they must be preserved:

image hosted on flickr

The expansion of line 1 to Mladost station should have been done till the end of that year, but there were lots of problems (underground water, etc.) and the Japanese company (Taisei) delayed the project. Now it should be finished in 2009. The second line's construction works (the blue one) are to be started very soon. It should be ready till 2010-2011. This will be quick mostly because some of the tunnels are already dug during the Communist regime. The third line (green one) is a mystery but I doubt they will finish it till 2015 or even 2020. It's a long one.
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #100
Pavlo
Старий Мейсон

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Now we finally know what you look like!
Pavlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulgaria, public transport, sofia