search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Bulgaria > Regional Bulgaria > Sofia

Sofia Buildings | Сгради

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2008, 11:13 PM   #61
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Away with the thirdworld 6 angular tiles. That´s another great thing Boiko Borissov will do.

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:14 PM   #62
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18615

I mentioning again the recent completed reconstruction of "Purva Bulgarska Armia" street but i was pleasently surprised not only by the ashault cover and the new syntetic paint road markings. All the sidewalks were repaved with asphault too and the work has been done in top quaility. They've also installed many metal poles to prevent the drivers from parking there etc. I wonder if somebody will ahve the time to go there and take some brief photo reportage. It is really worth seeing.

On the other hand i am dissapointed from the reconstruction of teh sidewalks on "maria Luiza' from Lions' bridge to kozlodui street... They used those big concrete tiles and placed only pressed sand bnelow. The result is that many of them are moving, grass have grown not even two months after the work was completed etc.
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM   #63
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 87

Why would you pave sidewalks with asphalt? I don' get it.
just4ivaylo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:14 AM   #64
[s2jc]hyp
13 века...

Likes (Received): 2

for skaters
[s2jc]hyp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 09:21 AM   #65
just4ivaylo

For skaters? Wow.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM   #66
JloKyM

Likes (Received): 11511

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
Why would you pave sidewalks with asphalt? I don' get it.
Because its the best pavement for sidewalks.
JloKyM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM   #67
just4ivaylo

I don't see how it's different from concrete.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM   #68
bgrs
dRusenec :)

Likes (Received): 3411

What? Concrete pavement will not survive more than 2 years with temperature amplitudes ranging from -15 to 35 celsius...and some idiot drivers that try to park on them.
bgrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM   #69
just4ivaylo

What's the difference between paving sidewalks with concrete or asphalt? Why is asphalt used? What are the pros of using asphalt instead of concrete? I understand asphalt would be a lot cheaper than the bricks they used in some places.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM   #70
bgrs

Because in the asphalt you have "bitum" which compensates for thermal expansion in hotter days without cracking and breaking. Concrete OTOH can be even worse because it always has miniature "holes" and appertures that occur during the solidifying phase. So asphalt is much more long-lasting as street tiling, unfortunately it's not at all as solid as concrete, so bridges and structures are not made of asphalt but concrete.

Ah, yes, many companies in BG use low-quality asphalt unfortunately, with lower percentage of tar ("bitum") inside, that's why some streets look so bad 2-3 years after rennovation.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM   #71
just4ivaylo

I see. They both have their pros and cons. Thanks.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM   #72
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrs View Post
Because in the asphalt you have "bitum" which compensates for thermal expansion in hotter days without cracking and breaking. Concrete OTOH can be even worse because it always has miniature "holes" and appertures that occur during the solidifying phase. So asphalt is much more long-lasting as street tiling, unfortunately it's not at all as solid as concrete, so bridges and structures are not made of asphalt but concrete.

Ah, yes, many companies in BG use low-quality asphalt unfortunately, with lower percentage of tar ("bitum") inside, that's why some streets look so bad 2-3 years after rennovation.
Yes, for example the Simitli Bansko road. Not only was the asphalt bright already after several months, it is very low quality and cracks have already appeared.
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM   #73
bgrs

The asphalt inevitably becomes brighter because the tar evaporates and/or is carried away by vehicles, etc. After that happens, the first cracks emerge. At this moment, someone should lay a new thin layer of asphalt probably...anyway after the cracks emerge, water goes in and when the winter comes, it becomes ice. Water is kinda unique substance - its solid form (ice) has lower density than its liquid form and upon freezing, it actually expands. When it expands, the cracks grow until finally potholes are formed. Usually in Bulgaria that's the moment when they decide to rennovate the road/street. Which is an appaling practice. Well I guess complete rehab is much more spectacular than regular maintenance...
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM   #74
just4ivaylo

Exactly. It's great that they're paving streets over, but they will be the same in a couple of years because they won't be maintained. This will probably happen to every new building too.
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM   #75
avtomat

Asphalt is the cheapest, but also the worst way fo paving (i'm not sure if you can even call it paving). The most appropriate way for paving is through paving-stones/blocks, but is also the most expensive. In Dimitrovgrad municipality they pave with asphalt only in the vilages since its fast and cheap.
Paving with street bloks lasts forever if done the right way, but its too much of an investment for Sofia.
avtomat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM   #76
bgrs

Well, you don't put on shoes on high heels, I guess if you were a woman you'd have a different opinion about those tiles I personally have nothing against asphalt paving - I've seen that in Paris, in Rome and Vienna. BTW in Paris it's quite common in the downtown.

I mean...come on that's not so bad:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by bgrs; August 1st, 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM   #77
Ivanski
инто спейс

Likes (Received): 32

Asphalt if the fastest and cheapest way to cover the sidewalks, that's true. It's used in many places of course, if it's made well it could be more lasting than bad laid tiles.
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM   #78
avtomat

You're right it doesn't look bad at all, if done the right way. I'm not sure though if the asphalt sidewalks in Sofia will look the same way after all that construction going on in the city . The good thing of the paving stones is that they're easy to digg out lay the pipes or cables you want and then rearange the bloks again. And they doesn't always need to be difficult to walk on, but as I said it costs too much, thus it's pointless considdering this type of paavement for Sofia.

Last edited by avtomat; August 1st, 2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM   #79
radi6404

In Germany virtually all sidewalks are asphalt, but the asphalt is good to walk on and lasts very long. I prefer paving stones aswell cause they look way better.
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM   #80
avtomat

Radi you know better than me that you CANNOT say "in Germany all ....". There are such big differences from city to city as they are very independent. In Bremen for example almost all sidewalk are with tiles or paving stones.