search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Bulgaria > Regional Bulgaria > Sofia

Sofia Buildings | Сгради

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Does the infrastructure get better?
Подобрява се много 39 12.42%
Подобрява се 222 70.70%
Остава същата 21 6.69%
Влошава се 21 6.69%
Влошава се много 11 3.50%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #1
ILB

Likes (Received): 2

Sofia Urban Discussions Thread | Градски дискусии

I was hanging around this forum and I found lots of pictures of other European capitals. However I think it is enough only to mention the capitals on the Balkan peninsula. All look better than our beloved Sofia. When I saw pictures of Sarajevo(city that was heavily bombed 15 years ago) I was astonished. Clean streets, renovated buildings, nice public transportation. Everything looked so European. The same goes to Beograd, Bucharest, Zagreb, Athens..even Tirana. For God sake we are in the EU, our economy is doing better than for example the one of Bosnia, at the same time our capital is being flooded with garbage, homeless animals, our streets are torn by huuuuuuuuge and deeeep gaps, most of the buildings in downtown Sofia are not renovated and I'm even afraid of mentioning the suburbs where the situation is worse. I just can't understand how it is possible that overall bulgarian cities look ok, and Sofia is the only example of bad maintenance. Are our politicians responsible for that, or it's simply our reluctance to take responsibility of our city. For me it is unbelievable that capitals of countries which are less developed look better and cleaner. It's just out of primal logic.
What do you think about that, guys. What should we change? Is there a chance for Sofia to finally become a better place to live, work, visit (and study In America ) and to be proud of. I'm looking forward to a nice, useful and civilized discussion.

remotecontrol liked this post
ILB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Anto.

Likes (Received): 3

Don't be rediculous. Sofia has more character than the other Balkan capitals. It might not be shiny and new, but its definitely more unique.

remotecontrol, spindi liked this post
Anto. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Ivanski
инто спейс

Likes (Received): 32

You can hardly get an idea of a city just by browsing pictures on the forum.
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #4
BG_PATRIOT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

ILB are you by any chances related to Radi?

He used to love opening useless threads, but his specialties were Blagoevgrad bashing threads and Struma highway cult threads...

BG_PATRIOT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #5
ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto. View Post
Don't be rediculous. Sofia has more character than the other Balkan capitals. It might not be shiny and new, but its definitely more unique.
Sofia has charm, but that doesn't make it well maintained. Sofia is dirty, there is a total lack of landscaping, and I don't even want to start a discussion about the architecture value of the newly built buildings and the way they fit along with the existing ones. It is ironical that Sofia have potential, but it seems that no one cares about it. Neither the municipality, nor the citizens.
And I can't agree with you on the statement that Sofia is more unique than the other Balkan cities. It's just not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanski View Post
You can hardly get an idea of a city just by browsing pictures on the forum.
Yes, but when you see thousands of pictures form different places showing that the city looks nice, you could get the idea that the city is not so bad at all. You can see the major touristic places and they look clean and well maintained. The sidewalks are repaired, the grass is cut, the buildings are renovated. I'm sure that we could find some disgusting images from the suburbs, but that doesnt change the fact that at least the center of the city looks nice. In Sofia the situation is not like that. Even on "Tsar Osvoboditel" and the yellow pavements, the sidewalks are crumbling, there are not renovated buildings, garbage everywhere. It's just not a place you want to visit( if you're a tourist) or at least you won't get a nice image of the beauty of the city. You can probably feel the spirit, visit some pubs or discos, but nothing else worthless to view, just because there are no proper conditions to do it.
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Ivanski
инто спейс

The city itself is OK, some neglected aspects and serious lack of order is what give bad impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILB View Post
Yes, but when you see thousands of pictures form different places showing that the city looks nice, you could get the idea that the city is not so bad at all. You can see the major touristic places and they look clean and well maintained. The sidewalks are repaired, the grass is cut, the buildings are renovated. I'm sure that we could find some disgusting images from the suburbs, but that doesnt change the fact that at least the center of the city looks nice. In Sofia the situation is not like that. Even on "Tsar Osvoboditel" and the yellow pavements, the sidewalks are crumbling, there are not renovated buildings, garbage everywhere. It's just not a place you want to visit( if you're a tourist) or at least you won't get a nice image of the beauty of the city. You can probably feel the spirit, visit some pubs or discos, but nothing else worthless to view, just because there are no proper conditions to do it.
I can't think of building in bad condition on Tzar Osvobidtel or anywhere around moreover i see quite a lot of tourist there, and in the city itself. Other central areas need renovation.

Last edited by Ivanski; March 26th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Ivanski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #7
3tmk
Rusty Robot

He seems like a better version of Radi, but still a little too easily influenced by SSC photos

Sofia is far from being the best city in the world, but don't compare it to what you see of other cities here. all you need is a little photography experience to make a turd shine.

3tmk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG_PATRIOT View Post
ILB are you by any chances related to Radi?

He used to love opening useless threads, but his specialties were Blagoevgrad bashing threads and Struma highway cult threads...
No, I'm not related to..radi, I dont even know who he is. I opened this thread because I think it is a major problem for our capital. It is a beautiful city but totally deprived of showing its beauty.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #9
mdka
UNREGISTERED USER

Likes (Received): 16

Well may be you have to establish a foundation called "Save Sofia" and collect money to improve te city

mdka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #10
ILB

It seems it's easier for you only to joke instead of think about this major problem. Sofia doesn't look beautiful and you all know that. I passed near the Presidency 1 week ago and I saw a lot of garbage. Do you think this is normal? And you don't need to blame it on the garbage crisis, because it's always dirty.

Ivanski, yeah, probably most of the buildings in downtown Sofia are ok, and repainted, but what about the streets, the sidewalks, the pavements, the road signs, the green areas. Do you think it's a normal for a european capital to look like that? And be honest.

Guys, there no need to joke. I'm sure you all agree with me, and I'm sure you all know the bad sides of our capital. I just want to see that city cleaned, well maintained and friendly to the tourists.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #11
mdka
UNREGISTERED USER

Well it seems that you have a serious problem with that how sofia looks like???
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #12
ВМРО

Likes (Received): 749

Nobody here shows the ugly sides of his country or city. Not seeing garbage or traffic jams doesn't automatically mean that they don't exist in the neighbouring capitals. In Sofia's gallery you can see renovated neo-classical buildings, old churches, modern business centres etc but Sofia has many other faces. Same goes for the other Balkan capitals.
ВМРО no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #13
ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka View Post
Well it seems that you have a serious problem with that how sofia looks like???
No, probably my mistake was that I was thinking people in this forum could keep a constructive discussion. Unfortunately I was wrong.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #14
renovatio

Likes (Received): 156

Well you didn't start the thread constructively. You started it by bashing Sofia and claiming that even cities in neighboring countries are much better.

To have a constructive conversation you point out specific things that are wrong, and propose a way to fix them.

SSC is not a forum for political activists, though. This is just a place where people can observe the development of Bulgaria. If you want to better Sofia, start an organization, a company, or better yet, join a political party, become mayor of Sofia and fix things. I'm not joking.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #15
ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ВМРО View Post
Nobody here shows the ugly sides of his country or city. Not seeing garbage or traffic jams doesn't automatically mean that they don't exist in the neighboring capitals. In Sofia's gallery you can see renovated neo-classical buildings, old churches, modern business centres etc but Sofia has many other faces. Same goes for the other Balkan capitals.
I'm not talking about pictures. Come on, this is the reality. Yesterday I nearly fell because of a cracked tile on the sidewalk. We always can put nice images of Sofia on the net, but the reality is quite different. This is an important subject for me, because I work for a tourist agency and we've always have the same problem over and over again...People love Sofia, they love the spirit, they love the places of interest, but they've always spotted everything bad I mentioned above. It's just sad, because we have the potential but we don't use it.

romari liked this post
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #16
mdka
UNREGISTERED USER

Thats bullshit,if you dont like Sofia just move from there and stop with the blah blah
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #17
ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka View Post
Thats bullshit,if you dont like Sofia just move from there and stop with the blah blah
What bullshit, man!? With which point of what I said do you disagree? I really can't figure out why you all people are so aggressive. Why do you attack me so much. Yes, probably I exaggerated the title, but I really think what I wrote. I like Sofia itself, but I don't like how it is governed.
You want proposals. Here they go:

1. The municipality should implement a stricter control over the people who pollute.

2. We badly need standards how to fix roads and sidewalks( we've seen lots of "creative" workers who do not follow standards and often miscalculate measures (for exp: шахти (eng?), sidewalks, all those little details that make a street look nice and well-shaped). I am fed up with seeing crooked leftovers of amateur construction work. Urban beauty is about symmetry, right shapes and angles.

Our main problem probably is simple politics that is being ignored. Whether it is law, education or upbringing, call it as you wish, it is an essential part of our social mind that is either missing, or corrupt.

Please, I'm not seeking scandals, I have many of them here at home with my wife, trust me! I just want to go back home from my miserable day and hours on the dirty crumbling streets, sit on the cosy seat and try to think or imagine a better world out there. Isn't this forum all about imagining perfection and trying to implement it in our everyday society.

Let us be positive.
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #18
renovatio

Likes (Received): 156

Also, why do you only respond to posts that pick fights with you?
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #19
KRUM

Likes (Received): 667

Please remove that thread
It's humiliating
If you want to discuss Sofia problems there are a few other convinient threads
"И да знаеш, Милке, че последният комунист на планетата ще умре в България. Даже когато в Съветска Русия няма да има нито един жив комунист. Какъв народ сме, Милке, какъв народ..." - Димитър Талев, "На завой"
KRUM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #20
Ivanski
инто спейс

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILB View Post
What bullshit, man!? With which point of what I said do you disagree? I really can't figure out why you all people are so aggressive. Why do you attack me so much. Yes, probably I exaggerated the title, but I really think what I wrote. I like Sofia itself, but I don't like how it is governed.
You want proposals. Here they go:

1. The municipality should implement a stricter control over the people who pollute.

2. We badly need standards how to fix roads and sidewalks( we've seen lots of "creative" workers who do not follow standards and often miscalculate measures (for exp: шахти (eng?), sidewalks, all those little details that make a street look nice and well-shaped). I am fed up with seeing crooked leftovers of amateur construction work. Urban beauty is about symmetry, right shapes and angles.

Our main problem probably is simple politics that is being ignored. Whether it is law, education or upbringing, call it as you wish, it is an essential part of our social mind that is either missing, or corrupt.

Please, I'm not seeking scandals, I have many of them here at home with my wife, trust me! I just want to go back home from my miserable day and hours on the dirty crumbling streets, sit on the cosy seat and try to think or imagine a better world out there. Isn't this forum all about imagining perfection and trying to implement it in our everyday society.

Let us be positive.

The problem is that you didn't make a constructive thread but you demand such discussion as renovatio wrote. It really doesn't make any sense

Tags
bulgaria, culture, sofia