daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Auckland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2007, 03:29 AM   #1
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 5965

PUBLIC SPACES Thread

Let us know about projects related to STREET UPGRADES | PUBLIC SQUARE UPGRADES | NEW OR EXISTING PUBLIC ART etc .....

Melbourne and I are a match made in heaven

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 1st, 2007, 03:37 AM   #2
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

ST. PATRICK'S SQUARE - UPGRADE - AUCKLAND CITY CENTRE:

WATER FEATURES:

PUBLIC ART:

PLANTS | SEATING | PAVING:

CONCEPT:

LINK:http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/coun...tricksnext.asp

+ INSTAGRAM

Last edited by SYDNEY; August 1st, 2007 at 03:45 AM.
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:08 AM   #3
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

^ I am all for this upgrade - it really surprised me and I hope that this is a sign of things to come. Good on ya ACC.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:09 AM   #4
sth_Auk
-_-

Likes (Received): 15

Nice! I like it!
sth_Auk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:10 AM   #5
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

I am going to try and get pics as soon as possible - stay tuned :

QUEEN STREET - UPGRADE:

Ancient stream 'flows' in Queen St
NZ HERALD - 5:00AM Tuesday July 31, 2007

A $250,000 glass and light artwork representing the Horotiu Stream that once flowed down Queen St was unveiled outside the Civic Theatre last night, with a haiku (Japanese poem) by distinguished Maori poet Hone Tuwhare. Glass artist Elizabeth McClure created Source, which is made up of five glass blocks set into the pavement and lit from below in varying colours to emphasise the representation of "water" running through them. At the southern end of the artwork, developed in conjunction with the lead architects for Queen St, Architectus, and HUB Street Equipment, is Hone Tuwhare's haiku, etched in stone. Source is one of four artworks proposed for the troubled Queen St upgrade, which has nearly doubled from the original budget of $23.4 million to $43.5 million. A Herald-DigiPoll survey last week found overall support for the Queen St project, although the latest row over bus lanes has stirred debate.

Of the 400 Auckland City residents surveyed, 54 per cent approved of what the council was doing in replacing trees, widening footpaths and introducing bus lanes to leave just one lane each way for cars - compared with 40.1 per cent who disapproved. McClure said glass was the right medium to represent the ancient Horotiu Stream still running "under our feet" in Queen St. "The inherent qualities of glass effectively encompass the qualities of water, such as movement, clarity, depth and reflective light," she said. The artwork is made up of hundreds of pale green and clear glass panes stacked in five, 3m-long glass blocks contained within stainless steel units set in a "river line".

The blocks are lit from below by light-emitting devices. An epoxy solution has been applied to the surface of the glass to make it slip-resistant and safe for pedestrians. Mayor Dick Hubbard, who unveiled the artwork by turning on the lights last evening, said Source was a stunning addition to Queen St. "The stream is a symbol of life, energy and new beginnings and it has been captured here in this beautiful piece of art," he said. Three other planned artworks for Queen St are a neon light installation by artist Paul Hartigan near the Queen St-Karangahape Rd intersection and two sculptures by artist Fred Graham to mark the original foreshore area near Fort St and Shortland St.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:15 AM   #6
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 57

Yea I saw that artwork yesterday although the lights in it weren't on during the day then. Looked pretty cool!

Vulcan Lane progress pics as at 31/7/07;

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:18 AM   #7
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

I am the first to say that I was wrong about this upgrade - it looks good and I take all my harsh words back When are they installing the street furniture - any idea ? Thanks for the update - you beat me to it

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:22 AM   #8
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Hehe yes its a race now for updates, although you have the advantage living right in the city im way out east in the burb's lol. I only have my phone camera for now tho, so u will no doubt take better clarity images than me.
And yes, I always knew Vulcan Lane would turn out great, its my favourite part of the city. Furniture and suspended lighting coming in the next month or two i've heard

Old August 1st, 2007, 05:33 AM   #9
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_higher View Post
Hehe yes its a race now for updates, although you have the advantage living right in the city im way out east in the burb's lol. I only have my phone camera for now tho, so u will no doubt take better clarity images than me.
And yes, I always knew Vulcan Lane would turn out great, its my favourite part of the city. Furniture and suspended lighting coming in the next month or two i've heard
Oh I am so pleased to hear that - the race is one .... suspended lighting ? like the ones in Elliott Street ? I know that Lorne street will also be getting suspended lighting - I can't wait to see the finished effect. Which reminds me, Khartoum Place is also looking fanny-tastic !

Dr Kiwi_Fruit and I need to get our cams ready and get snapping again.

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:39 AM   #10
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

yhess

Old August 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM   #11
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Broadway streetscape upgrade - Newmarket:

Auckland City Council is upgrading Broadway to provide Newmarket with a sophisticated look to match it's position as a premier retail and entertainment precinct.

The upgrade will include new:

* footpaths, using New Zealand bluestone
* seats, bins and low stone walls
* landscaping, plants and trees
* lighting

The upgrade will focus on Broadway defined at the northern end by the Railway Street roundabout and the southern end by the Broadway and Mortimer Pass intersection. The work upgrading footpaths, street furniture, planting and lighting is scheduled to start in August 2007 pending full council approval in July of the tender proposal.

KERB STONES:

LIGHTING:

BINS:

PLANTING:

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:29 AM   #12
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

The QUEEN STREET upgrade:

This is what we can expect for the entire length of Queen Street when the upgrade is completed .....

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #13
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Indeed, the upgrade of Queen St will be well worth it once all finished.

Some updates from today, I love these little stone seats;

My favourite burger place on Queen St hehe yum!

The new 'Source' artwork outside the Civic, will look more impressive at night when lit up no doubt;

(note token piece of litter lol)

The Nikau Palms are just brilliant I think;

Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:06 AM   #14
Nicco

Likes (Received): 0

wow! that looks brilliant! now thats what i call an upgrade well done to Auckland City Council...
queen street looks amazing....

Nicco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #15
aucklandman
Ben

Likes (Received): 0

Good photos mate. looks brilliant

Auckland Motorways: www.aucklandmotorways.co.nz | www.traffic.aucklandmotorways.co.nz
aucklandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM   #16
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Fanny-tastic Mate (don't be LAZY, pick up your tissue before you take the pic ) .... geeez, you Kiwi's .......... The Bank of New Zealand looks incredible with the Nikau Palms in front of it .... pure CLASS !

Well done Cup-cake and thank you ACC.

By the way - Burger Fuel makes the best burgers - EVER ! I am going to see the new artsy feature tomorrow night and I will definitely stop in for a bit of a nibble (The Doc wil be very excited to hear that )

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM   #17
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Haha it wasnt my tissues lolz. I am a tidy kiwi after all

Yes Burgerfuel is certainly worth it, do take mr kf there.

Old August 6th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #18
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_higher View Post
Haha it wasnt my tissues lolz. I am a tidy kiwi after all

Yes Burgerfuel is certainly worth it, do take mr kf there.
Yeah yeah

+ INSTAGRAM
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #19
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Art works reflect Auckland's unique identity
From City Scene, published on 5 August, 2007

Auckland City Council is creating opportunities for artists to bring more life to our city's streets and open spaces. Public art works are an important part of Auckland's CBD Into the future strategy, which is about revitalising the central city and helping to build a sense of place and identity that is uniquely Auckland. The council has already worked with many artists to incorporate quality New Zealand art and design into the public spaces around our city's centre. Examples of this collaboration on Queen Street include inanga (whitebait) patterned insert pavers developed in conjunction with Ngati Whatua o Orakei, designer Humphrey Ikin's bench seats and artist John Edgar's stone perchable seating.

Elizabeth McClure's artwork Source (top) was installed outside the Civic Theatre last week and aims to capture Queen Street's uniqueness in a way Aucklanders and visitors can appreciate. The work is made up of five 3m lengths of glass blocks lit from below and is symbolic of the stream that once ran where Queen Street is now. "The idea of the ancient Horotiu Stream still running under Queen Street was a source of inspiration because it gives the location a sense of place," says Ms McClure, who lives in Auckland and has also exhibited her work internationally. A haiku poem about the historic Horotiu Stream by New Zealand poet Hone Tuwhare also features on a plaque alongside Source. The concept for the artwork, which is part of the Queen Street upgrade, was developed in collaboration with architectural firm Architectus and industrial design firm HUB Street Equipment.

The artists' role is to identify and promote opportunities for integrating art into the overall designs. This includes helping identify the best locations for existing art works if these need to be relocated within the site, and developing an art work site plan. Auckland artist Steve Woodward was involved in developing the draft concept design for St Patrick's Square - which the council is currently seeking public feedback on - with landscape architects Boffa Miskell. Mr Woodward says a meeting with Father Bernard from St Patrick's Cathedral was the inspiration for the square's proposed artistic elements. "Father Bernard made a comment that during tragic world events, he had noticed people walking around in a daze, because they had nowhere to go as a community to mourn together or offer support to each other," he says. "We spent time watching how people used the square and observed the community around the area, and we came up with the idea of creating a meeting place where secular and religious life could come together. Art works and other artistic elements will enrich the space so that it belongs to all Aucklanders."

Another example of this type of collaboration is sculptor Brett Graham working with landscape architects Ted Smythe & Associates as a key member of the Aotea Square redevelopment design team. As a starting point for the project, Mr Graham is looking at the overall landscape and conceptualising it as an artwork. Public consultation on the draft design will occur later this year.

Future artworks bring history to life in the CBD:
Artist Fred Graham has developed two art works to mark Auckland's original foreshore line. Taurapa, scheduled for installation at the end of the year, will be located at the junction of Queen and Swanson streets. The work is a steel sculpture depicting the stern of a waka, with flying birds attached to represent the abundance of the Hauraki Gulf. At the base of the sculpture is the tauihu (front or nose) turned back like a bird, suggesting a resting waka. "As I understand, in earlier days the high tide mark was at the foot of Swanson Street and this was used by Maori as a resting place for their canoes," says Mr Graham. "I also understand that this area - te wai horotiu - was the habitat of a small bird of the tern variety." Across the road from Taurapa will be a companion artwork, Te Whatu. This work, planned for the foyer of the reconstructed BNZ building on the corner of Shortland and Queen streets, consists of two anchor stones to mark a historic rocky ledge and waka landing place on the foreshore. When installed, these two sculptures will have a strong visual presence and become exciting landmarks for people visiting this part of Queen Street.

+ INSTAGRAM

Last edited by SYDNEY; August 6th, 2007 at 03:58 AM.
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #20
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Upgrade for Newmarket
From City Scene, published on 5 August, 2007

Auckland City Council's $6 million upgrade of Broadway in Newmarket is due to start on 13 August. The year-long project will beautify this retail and entertainment strip with new footpaths, street furniture, planting and lighting. The work will start at opposite ends of Broadway, with most construction work carried out a night to minimise disruption. Newmarket's new look incorporates public feedback carried out last year with businesses, residents and visitors.

+ INSTAGRAM