daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM   #1
CVG

Likes (Received): 0

Northern Kentucky Development News

Since the Cincinnati development thread is pretty much dead on the Midwest forum I figured I would start an NKY one over here. Plenty of stuff in the works, I will do my best to keep the thread updated.

Covington skyline with the recently completed Ascent at Roebling's condo tower.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by CVG; August 3rd, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
CVG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
CVG

South Shore condos going up in Newport. Original plan called for:

Condominiums: Four buildings would be constructed, including two, 16-floor, 140,000-square-foot towers -one with 65 condominiums and the other with 65 apartments.

Two, four-level parking structures - one with 226 parking spaces and the other with 265 parking spaces - also would be constructed.

A clubhouse and recreational facility would be built in one of the residential towers.

Offices: Two buildings - both atop multi-level parking garages - would be constructed on an acre of land west of the condominium tower.

One building would house offices and the second either more offices or commercial or residential development.

Size and other characteristics of the buildings would depend on market conditions at the time of construction.

Marina: A harbor with at least 53 boat slips would be constructed in the Ohio River.

I couldnt find the new plan, but I think it calls for a total of 200 condos and no apartments. One tower is currently under construction, and another wont be built until every condo is sold in the first tower and at least half are sold in the second. Here is a recent construction pic from http://www.building-cincinnati.com/

Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
CVG

$1 billion development in the works in Dayton, KY. Plans for the resort-style community, which is modeled after a development in Naples, Fla., where Imboden has a second home, show more than 1,900 condos, flats and single-family homes; a retirement center; a 150-room hotel; and nearly 250,000 square feet of shopping, restaurants and office space. "It will be a destination," Imboden said.

DAYTON, Ky. - With his suntanned skin, worn loafers and casual style, David C. Imboden looks like a laid-back guy in search of a cold drink and a quiet patio.

But behind the easygoing exterior of this 51-year-old developer is a relentless deal maker who says he is determined to make the Ohio River a drawing card for this tiny river city.

"Let's face it, the river is the value here," Imboden said as he zipped through plans of his most recent development venture.

Imboden, president of DCI Properties, has spent two decades flipping and redeveloping eyesores along Cincinnati's riverfront.

Known best for his work in the East End, Imboden has made millions of dollars transforming hundreds of abandoned lots and blighted homes into high-end riverfront condos such as Riverfront Terrace and Waterfront East.

Now, the former Taft High School teacher and football coach says he's finished developing in Cincinnati and has set his sites on his largest waterfront undertaking: a more than $1 billion project on 142 acres in Dayton.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...44/-1/NEWS0107
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
CVG

Another large development in the works for Newport. Doubt all of these projects get fully complete, but they do appear to be moving along. Old renderings looked horrible, but new ones are due out in the next few months.

Newport waits for Ovation
$1 billion project slated to break ground soon

NEWPORT - Grass, weeds and utility poles populate the site of the largest commercial/residential development planned in Newport.

The $1 billion Ovation project, however, should break ground some time late this year or early 2009, according to the city and the developer, Covington-based Corporex Cos.

In September 2006, Newport selected Corporex to develop the site into homes and businesses where a public housing project sat at the confluence of the Licking and Ohio rivers.

The public housing tenants were relocated, the housing was torn down and Corporex created plans for several high- and mid-rise towers with a mix of residential, office, retail and entertainment venues.

To hasten development, Corporex CEO Bill Butler said the project needed the state to grant a tax incentive.

Tax incentives came in the form of tax-increment financing, which the state approved for the project in 2007.

That means most of tax revenue generated by Ovation will go back into funding infrastructure improvements like the public garage.

The financing is worth $200 million for the project.

Since the end of last year, Corporex has worked on detailed drawings for the site, said Debra Vicchiarelli, chief marketing officer for Corporex. Detailed plans for the site will be unveiled to the public sometime this fall or winter, she said. The public will have an opportunity to comment on the plans in a series of public meetings.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...0330/1170/NEWS
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 5

Cool! Keep us up to date! I love the NKY burbs. They could be their own stand-alone city.
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #6
bigwilley

It is rather unknown what is goin on up there in NKY I have been waiting for somone to make a NKY thread thankyou!
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #7
CVG

Manhattan Harbour update, I stole the renderings from a post from UncleRando at UO.

DAYTON - The 2,000-home development on Dayton's riverfront would get a tax incentive worth about $100 million with a proposal unveiled Thursday before City Council.

At a public hearing Thursday, developer DCI Properties and the city unveiled the proposal for the creation of a tax increment financing district, or TIF, around the Manhattan Harbour.

TIF districts allow the increase in tax revenue generated by a development to go back into the public infrastructure of that development. The city would issue $100 million to $120 million in bonds. Tax revenue generated by Manhattan Harbour would pay for the bonds and the interest.

The 2,000 homes and commercial space in Manhattan Harbour could have about $871 million of assessed value when finished, representatives with DCI told council.

TIF revenues would pay for raising the land 14-16 feet above the floodplain and the installation of lights, roads and other public infrastructure. Officials say the high development costs for Manhattan Harbour, largely because of its location in front of the floodwall, make tax incentives necessary.

"The challenge of Manhattan Harbour is unique," said Jim Parsons, an attorney for DCI. "We are building in an area that is currently unbuildable."

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs....0103/809120392

Last edited by CVG; September 20th, 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #8
CVG

Northern Kentucky's Vision 2015 to launch $10M fund

Northern Kentucky's Vision 2015 will launch a new development corporation to spur revitalization in the urban centers of the region's river cities.

The Catalytic Development Funding Corp. aims to raise $10 million by July 2009, said Jeanne Schroer, interim director of the University of Cincinnati Real Estate Center.

Schroer will become executive director of the new organization Sept. 1 and will be working right away to raise the money to leverage at least $100 million in development projects south of Northern Kentucky's riverfront.

"The idea is to move the success that has already happened on the river into the neighborhoods," Schroer said. "This would not be something for the very large, high-profile projects that are right there on the river. This is more the infill housing that might occur in neighborhoods in Covington, Newport, Bellevue, Dayton and Ludlow, or a unique mixed-use center in the neighborhood."

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/ci...23/story1.html
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #9
CVG

Northern Kentucky region, Vision 2015 recognized for national planning award

The Northern Kentucky region was named as one of four finalists for the Alliance for Regional Stewardship (ARS) Organizational Champion Award for the work of Vision 2015, a community-driven ten-year strategic plan for growth.

The Organizational Champion Award recognizes regions, regional alliances and regional leaders for excellence and demonstrated progress in at least one of the four principles of regional stewardship: innovative economy, livable communities, social inclusion, and a collaborative style of governance.

This year’s awards were held at the ARS Regional Strategies Forum in Pittsburgh, July 29-30.

"The ARS is looking for the innovative ways in which communities tackle goals and challenges," says Kara Clark, vice president of communication and strategic initiatives for Vision 2015.

http://www.soapboxmedia.com/devnews/arsawards0902.aspx
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #10
CVG

Licking greenway plans 'a place of union', regional connection

Vision 2015 will host an public presentation to highlight the opportunities of the Licking River Greenway and Trails plan on Thursday from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM at the Northern Kentucky Area Planning Commission at 2332 Royal Drive in Fort Mitchell.

According to Human Nature, Inc. principal and landscape architect Gary Wolnitzek, residents can expect to see a plan that is based on broad community input and includes both short-term, immediately achievable projects and long-term, more ambitious projects.

"It's a vision that sees the Licking River corridor as the north-south spine of a regional parks network," he says. "It's a place of union, not a boundary - 'Where Northern Kentucky Comes Together'."

http://www.soapboxmedia.com/devnews/...enway0916.aspx
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #11
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 3

Manhatten Harbour looks incredible!! Though my one complaint would be that there appears to be sections of open grass between the development and existing buildings. Are those necessary? I feel like that cuts off a portion of the development and makes it feel separated from the existing neighborhood. Is there a reason for that?
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #12
CVG

If we are looking at the same thing it looks like they have a steep incline that separates some of the development from existing buildings. It mentions in one of the articles that they are raising the land 14-16 feet above the floodplain so that probably leads to the separation.

Last edited by CVG; September 20th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #13
brian wear

Thumbs down Bad Idea

This project seems like a wonderful idea. Ten years ago. The economy in Dayton,Northen Kentucky and the country as a whole cannot support this. With the use of TIF moneney in this project the city should demand the most skilled and highest paid workers to build this project. This will set the bar for ligitimate contractors to bid the project.Contractors that use Independent subcontractor have an infamous history of not paying city,county and payroll taxes, these taxes are a vital source of immedate revenue to these entities. The city is in a fog when it comes to issues of this magnatude. The city is misinformed in regaurds to what they can regulate on projects.And have made no attemps to apply this action.
brian wear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:42 AM   #14
CVG

Just found a wiki page about Northern Kentucky. The area added right at 50,000 residents from 2000 to 2007 and currently has a population of 412,820. That includes 7 counties total. A vast majority of the population and growth is of course in Kenton, Campbell, and Boone counties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Kentucky
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:19 AM   #15
card04

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVG View Post
Since the Cincinnati development thread is pretty much dead on the Midwest forum I figured I would start an NKY one over here. Plenty of stuff in the works, I will do my best to keep the thread updated.

Covington skyline with the recently completed Ascent at Roebling's condo tower.

image hosted on flickr
The Ascent condo tower is probably my favorite building built in Kentucky in the past ten years.
card04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM   #16
CVG

I like the Ascent as well, just wish it was taller. Hopefully something is built soon in Covington that breaks our little height barrier.
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM   #17
madtony26.2

Likes (Received): 1

It is a fairly new skyline, isn't it? Do you have any older pics of the skyline?
madtony26.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:36 PM   #18
CVG

Yeah its still a new skyline. Rivercenter 1 is still barely the tallest in the city and its 15-20 years old. Most of the development in that picture is from the last 10 years. The Radisson Hotel and a couple 15 story apartments buildings have been around since 1970 or so.
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:42 PM   #19
CVG

Couldnt find an old skyline shot in a quick google search, but found a cool angle of the Covington skyline and background I had never seen before. You can see the old apartments to the right in the background and the Radisson is even further to the right not pictured, not really part of the core skyline.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM   #20
card04

What is that creek/river seperating Newport and Covington? Somehow I never noticed it until I went there recently. Do you have any pics of the historical parts of Northern Kentucky, the parts I saw were very well preserved.
card04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote