daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

CORK | The Brewery Quarter

Great news for Cork:

Quote:
Planning approval given for €150m project

BARRY ROCHE, Southern Correspondent

Fri, Jul 29, 2011

CORK CITY Council has granted planning permission for a €150 million to €200 million project incorporating a 6,000-seat event centre on the site of the former Beamish and Crawford brewery in Cork city centre.

Council planners granted permission to Heineken Ireland and BAM Contractors on Wednesday for the major project which is expected to create 500 jobs during construction and several hundred further jobs when fully operational.

Heineken Ireland and BAM Contractors, a wholly owned subsidiary of Dutch giant, Royal BAM Group, applied for planning permission for the project last December and earlier this year briefed the public on their proposals for the 1.8 hectare site.

The project, entitled “The Brewery Quarter”, in addition to the 6,000-seat event centre, also includes a mixed scheme of shops, bars, restaurants, an eight-screen cinema, exhibition areas, 46 student apartments and a viewing tower on the south inner city site.

Yesterday, Heineken Ireland corporate relations manager Declan Farmer welcomed the council’s decision and said Heineken and BAM were particularly conscious of the uniqueness of the site given its historical importance as a brewing site going back to 1690.

Mr Farmer said the development, which also involves the construction of two new pedestrian bridges across the south channel of the river Lee, would be “an extraordinary and unique addition to the city’s townscape with significant regeneration benefit”.

The project, which has been carefully designed to conserve Beamish and Crawford’s historic Counting House with its mock Tudor facade fronting on to South Main Street, would also provide a “vibrant and dynamic hub” to attract visitors to the city centre, he said.

Mr Farmer said the joint developers expect that once the project clears all planning hurdles, construction work would take some two to three years and the developers hope the project would be completed and operational by 2014/2015.

Heineken Ireland and BAM Contractors have continued to engage with music industry promoters Live Nation, who operate the O2 in Dublin, to ensure that the event centre will be a world-class performance venue, said Mr Farmer.

A group of Cork businesses welcomed the decision by the council to grant planning permission for the development and appealed to anyone thinking of objecting to refrain from doing so. Publican Con Dennehy said the group, which is composed of a cross-section of business interests in the city centre including those involved in retail and hospitality, were strongly of the view that the development was too important an opportunity for Cork to squander.

“Not withstanding anyone’s right to object, we would hope sense would prevail. This is too important to be derailed by any frivolous objections and I’d appeal to any potential objector to think twice.”

© 2011 The Irish Times
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:00 AM   #2
hitmanhart

Likes (Received): 55

Few images showing a part of the development. The event centre I think.

http://img810.imageshack.us/i/bc1i.png/
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/bc2vd.png/
http://img257.imageshack.us/i/bc3k.jpg/
http://img814.imageshack.us/i/bc4a.jpg/
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/bc5w.jpg/
hitmanhart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM   #3
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Looks very nice. A counterweight to docklands development perhaps?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:47 AM   #4
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Is it me or does it feel like Cork is growing more rapidly then Dublin.
Cork county council is giving all these great projects the go ahead and yet Dublin cant even get one little skyscraper going ahead.
Dublin will never grow if this keeps happening.
Skyscrapers have to be seen in Dublin in the next ten years if it wants to compete.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #5
drjohann1

Likes (Received): 501

[IMG]http://static.panoramio.
drjohann1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

Quote:
Green light given to €150m development of Cork’s Beamish & Crawford site
By Independent.ie reporters
Thursday January 05 2012

A €150m redevelopment of the historical former Beamish & Crawford site at Cork’s city centre has been given the green light.

The building of a museum will form part of the development at the site of the country’s oldest brewery which includes a cinema, events centre as well as retail and office space on the four acre area.

An Bord Pleanala gave the plans, proposed by Heineken and Bam Construction, the go ahead.

Construction is expected to begin this year but part of the original building, including its mock Tudor facade, will be preserved as part of the development.

Up to 300 building jobs could be created as part of the project.

The 6,000 seat events arena will front onto the River Lee while the centre could also become a tourist attraction given its history with the city which dates back to the 17th century.

- Independent.ie reporters
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Seravia

Likes (Received): 31

That's nice to see purely from a development point of view, but I really don't know that much about the scheme. Is there any more renders floating about?
Seravia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #8
opencurtin

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Is it me or does it feel like Cork is growing more rapidly then Dublin.
Cork county council is giving all these great projects the go ahead and yet Dublin cant even get one little skyscraper going ahead.
Dublin will never grow if this keeps happening.
Skyscrapers have to be seen in Dublin in the next ten years if it wants to compete.
I dont understand your comment , Dublin has the 3 arena the Board Gais arena , the Conference centre and much more , Cork is only now trying to catch up with Dublin which cant be a bad thing..
opencurtin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #9
PeteC

Likes (Received): 689

Actually, just came across this thread so maybe we should keep this discussion here.

Council looking for more information on the proposed changes to the events centre plan to include more student accommodation;

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...es-438923.html

The article also states that they intend with pushing ahead with the first steps towards the development of Marina Park this year.
PeteC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #10
TCB

Likes (Received): 72

We'll see student apartments built at the site before we see a plan for the event center, mark my words. Time for Limerick politicians to step up and take the event center from Cork.
TCB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 11:15 PM   #11
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 935

Shots of demolition and clearance work at the site of the proposed events centre for Cork city. I actually saw clearance work being done so let's keep up the hope this will actually be built!

AbidM, Sukino, PeteC liked this post
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 02:25 AM   #12
opencurtin

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
We'll see student apartments built at the site before we see a plan for the event center, mark my words. Time for Limerick politicians to step up and take the event center from Cork.
Limerick doesn’t have the population density to justify an events center nice try though
opencurtin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:17 PM   #13
enobarbus

Likes (Received): 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by opencurtin View Post
Limerick doesn’t have the population density to justify an events center nice try though
Neither does Cork. It would presumably rely on visitors from other parts of Ireland. Limerick is the most central city in the country, being less than 2.5 hours from every city in the Republic.

wakka12 liked this post
enobarbus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #14
Carrig

Likes (Received): 8

The Brewery Quarter

Talking to an engineer today that had carried out some consultancy work for BAM and the word on the ground is that the event centre will not go ahead at this location. The sites small fingerprint, its archaeological significance and also apparently the business plan is not viable. Bam/Heineken won the bid on a number of factors including cost but if extra state funding is provided, changing the terms, then there is also the possibility of legal action from the failed bidders including O'Callaghan Developments. It seems that parts of the site will be capped to protect any potential archaeological structures with the commercial section and student apartments going ahead eventually. He heard that they are prepared to "Gift" the event centre portion of the site to the city council but in essence if it went ahead as is, it would turn out to be a while elephant. There is a move to examine the possibility of a scaled down centre on Hogan's Quay but this would be at least four years down the line. Its just second hand information but I think is a reasonable summary of where things stand.
Carrig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #15
TCB

Work has commenced on the student apartments, restaurant, retail units and the revival of the old Lamleys Lane at "Zone A" of this site.

Still no word on the events center which one must assume is completely dead in the water at this stage.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/C...d3b64dcd0ed-ds

geogregor liked this post
TCB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:06 PM   #16
Lilzehhho

Likes (Received): 13

Planning to be lodged for a complete modification of Zone B of the Brewery Quarter. Instead of a cinema they want to build for office and education purposes.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/C...ed292dfab14-ds

Still nothing on the Events Center itself which is in Zone C
Lilzehhho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:39 PM   #17
BendiBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilzehhho View Post
Planning to be lodged for a complete modification of Zone B of the Brewery Quarter. Instead of a cinema they want to build for office and education purposes.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/C...ed292dfab14-ds

Still nothing on the Events Center itself which is in Zone C
I genuinely don't want to start an argument, and I'm certainly not trolling, but one of the regular negatives I hear about Cork City is that it can be a little 'unexciting' in terms of recreational activities. I'm talking about urban recreation. I know Cork is a beautiful county. And I freely admit I'm reporting on hearsay!

Replacing entertainment venues with more offices risks an "all work and no play" scenario discouraging a high income workforce from locating to the city.
BendiBus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:45 PM   #18
ZG_Blues

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendiBus View Post
I genuinely don't want to start an argument, and I'm certainly not trolling, but one of the regular negatives I hear about Cork City is that it can be a little 'unexciting' in terms of recreational activities. I'm talking about urban recreation. I know Cork is a beautiful county. And I freely admit I'm reporting on hearsay!

Replacing entertainment venues with more offices risks an "all work and no play" scenario discouraging a high income workforce from locating to the city.
Mardyke, the biggest recreational area in Cork, is just 10 minutes on foot away from that site.
ZG_Blues no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:10 PM   #19
Limericklad

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZG_Blues View Post
Mardyke, the biggest recreational area in Cork, is just 10 minutes on foot away from that site.
Sport isn't the only form of recreation.....

BendiBus liked this post
Limericklad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 05:19 PM   #20
Lilzehhho

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendiBus View Post

A cinema, especially if it was going to be a fully kitted out iMax, would have been nice but it would have a comparatively minuscule impact on the city, especially compared with the proposal in Zone C.
Lilzehhho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: