daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:21 PM   #121
Insert username here

Likes (Received): 679

Quote:
It is located in two adjoining Victorian houses

It is planned to knock down these two buildings and three more neighbouring terraced houses
They can build it in a suitable location without knocking down 5 houses from a large Victorian-era neighbourhood.
Insert username here no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #122
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Despite having a great summer this year (weather wise) the City Centre is completely overrun with homegrown scumbags at this stage and funneling more tourists into this horror is to my mind counter productive at this stage. Does not matter whether they are foreign or home grown tourists, the experience is equally awful.

This blog post a few months back From a Dubliner clearly summarises the myriad issues that the centre of Dublin faces today.

http://lovindublin.com/feature/dubli...-full-addicts/

Quote:
Large parts of our city smell of piss, are littered with the remnants of addicts and make people watch their backs on a regular basis (off the top of my head some of the alleys around Grafton Street, Amiens Street, Pearce Street, Camden Street, Temple bar, Middle Abbey Street, Oconnell Street and Marlborough Street are just a handful of the worst affected).
In the past week alone, along and just off the quays which is the worst area.

Junkie pushes junkie under bus.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2057260503

Italian tourist attacked on the liffey boardwalk.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30481471.html

Joe Duffy ( Irelands main outlet for people who want to moan) is running a week long special on the issue it seems

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/ ( listen)

Quote:
Is anti-social behaviour in Dublin, "out of control"? Are drug addicts allowed to roam free? Some Liveline listeners believe so and they give Joe their views on our capital city.

Glen works in the GPO on Dublin's O'Connell Street. He tells Joe about a recent attack that left him with a 2 inch gash on his head. Sarah says that she has lost a little bit of respect for her home city after an incident she witnessed involving an unsuspecting French tourist on her honeymoon.

The Liveline listeners tell Joe their thoughts on our capital city.
Most of Dublin is very safe by European standards but a concentrated zone of scumbaggery overlaps with the main tourist district in the very centre near the river and a street north and south of the river. It is time to clear the streets of this terrible nuisance, even if it is only the 1.5km from O'Connell bridge to the main train station at Heuston.

It should not seemingly be completely beyond our capability to make the centre of Dublin safe, and if it is then God help us all.

It has been an awful summer for many in Central Dublin, it should have been a fantastic one. No more of this nonsense.

Last edited by sponge_bob; August 8th, 2014 at 02:02 AM.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #123
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 854

I agree with you but there seems to be a deep denial about it or a refusal to acknowledge it as a serious problem. However, I've noticed people complaining more this past year and I saw an article a few weeks back regarding city centre businesses withholding rates until the council acknowledge it
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #124
dubshee

Likes (Received): 26

I can't remember the last time I saw a Garda while out in town for the night. I can only imagine it's not much better during the day. Clearly all they're too busy issuing points to drivers for driving slow in slightly slower speeding zones. Seriously though there seems to be such a poor Garda presence on the streets of Dublin.

saoró... liked this post
dubshee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #125
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

Quote:
Between a Hard Rock and a hard place

Hard Rock Hotel Ibiza: the recently opened live music venue and hotel concept is a possibility for the Citywest convention centre

Mark Paul

Last Updated: Thursday, August 7, 2014, 17:04

The epic saga that is the receivership of the Citywest complex in west Dublin has had more twists than a bag of snakes. Here is another: Hard Rock, the music-themed restaurant and hotel company owned by the Seminole native American tribe of Florida, is believed to be casting an eye over the development.

It has held talks with HSS Developments (HSSD), a company linked to the family of the late developer Jim Mansfield, from which Bank of Scotland (Ireland) seized Citywest in 2010. HSSD is separate to HSS, the company in receivership.

The possible entry into the fray of Hard Rock – in league with the Mansfields – may not be music to the ears of the receiver, Martin Ferris.

HSSD, which has also teamed up with financial firm Lansdowne Francs, wrote to Ferris this week claiming to be owed €27 million and threatening to injunct a sale of the complex. It appears to have some bargaining chips.

HSSD claims rights to lands at Citywest’s sprawling convention centre, which Hard Rock is potentially interested in turning into a live music venue to go with the hotel. HSSD also claims ownership of a sewer pipe across the N7, which it alleges is being used by the receiver- run hotel “without permission”.

HSSD claims it has been unable to procure “vital information” from the bank concerning a loan it says was offered to it by former BoSI chief executive Mark Duffy, but later allegedly “reneged” upon. “We have today lodged a complaint [against the bank] with the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom, asking them to urgently investigate the matter,” it wrote in the letter.

Ferris last month settled a case against Swiss outfit BSQ Investments, which earlier this year failed to produce the cash to complete a €28 million contract to buy Citywest. There’s a few more verses of this song to go yet . . .

© 2014 irishtimes.com
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #126
Catmalojin

Quote:
Magazine ranks Dublin in top five most friendly cities

Friday 08 August 2014 15.37

Dublin has been voted one of the friendliest cities on the planet by an influential travel magazine.

Readers of Conde Nast Traveller ranked the capital fifth in its top ten of the world's most welcoming urban destinations.

Rising eight places from the 13th most friendly city last year, it shares the position in the popularity stakes with Sydney, Australia.

The top spots included Auckland, New Zealand; Melbourne, Australia; Victoria, Canada; and Charleston in US state of South Carolina.

Only two European cities made it into the top ten - the other being Seville in Spain - compiled from the findings of the magazine's readers choice survey.

Dublin is described as a "vibrant city" and, in a nod to its literary fame, as a "bibliophile's dream".

It was also noted for being "green, lush and very walkable" and "the kind of place you stop in for a drink in a local pub, only to end up chatting with the locals for the next five hours".

The magazine also references US First Lady Michelle Obama's trip to Dublin with her daughters last year when she was photographed with Bono at his local pub.

Tourism Ireland Chief Executive Niall Gibbons said the city's high ranking came as no surprise.

"Again and again, our research shows us that the friendliness of our people is one of our unique selling points," he said.

"It is the warm welcome and the 'craic' here that resonates with our overseas visitors and makes Dublin and Ireland such a great choice for a short break or holiday."

Other cities making up the most friendly list are Siem Reap, Cambodia; Cape Town, South Africa; Savannah, Georgia; and finally Seville.

The poll also named the most unfriendly cities in the world as Johannesburg, South Africa; Cannes, France; Moscow, Russia; as well as Paris and Marseille, also in France.

The worst ten also included Beijing, China; Frankfurt, Germany; Milan, Italy; Monte Carlo, Monaco; and Nassau, Bahamas.

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0808/635...friendly-city/
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #127
Catmalojin

Quote:
Brehon Capital Partners to buy Citywest hotel complex for €29m

Mark Paul

Last Updated: Friday, August 8, 2014, 22:46

The bank-appointed receiver to the sprawling Citywest hotel complex has reached an agreement to sell it as a going concern for about €29 million to Brehon Capital Partners, the owner of the luxury Marker hotel in Dublin and Powerscourt hotel in Wicklow.

Some of the staff at the 789-bedroom property, the largest hotel in Dublin, were informed of the deal yesterday.

The remainder of the staff are due to be told today. All employees will remain with the hotel when the deal, which is scheduled to close in about 30 days, completes.

It is believed Brehon, a fund that has worked closely in the past with US asset manager Pimco, is planning to invest significant capital in upgrading the property. Brehon is conducting the purchase of Citywest using an entity called Cape Wrath Hotel.

The sale on behalf of Bank of Scotland (Ireland) by the receiver, Martin Ferris, includes the hotel and an adjoining conference centre. The complex was developed by the late developer Jim Mansfield, from whom the bank seized the property in 2010.

It is run for the receiver by Dalata, a listed hotel group run by former Jurys Doyle hotelier Pat McCann. It is unclear if Dalata will continue to run it on behalf of Brehon, as no decision has yet been reached.

The sale to Brehon is likely to face an imminent legal challenge, however. HSS Developments (HSSD), a company linked to the family of the deceased Mr Mansfield, is claiming rights to lands including the car park at the convention centre and is threatening to scupper any sale.

Claim by HSSD

HSSD, which is not the Citywest company that is in receivership, wrote to Mr Ferris this week claiming to be owed €27 million. It said that until an agreement was reached with it, it would be prepared to go to the courts to get an injunction to prevent the sale of Citywest.
HSSD is understood to have held talks with the US company behind the music-themed Hard Rock hotel and restaurant franchise about potentially teaming up to have a tilt at Citywest.

Lansdowne Francs, an Irish financial company, is also involved involved in the plan.

Hard Rock is on the lookout for expansion opportunities in Europe.

Mr Ferris recently concluded a separate court case over a previous attempt to sell Citywest. That case was settled a number of weeks ago, which is when the vendor’s attention switched to Brehon.

None of the parties involved in the sale were available for comment.

© 2014 irishtimes.com
Old August 13th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #128
pontbacalan

Likes (Received): 514

As a tourist, I realy enjoyed south area of Dublin2, it's very cool, I regret the dirtt pavement and streets in the north and no benches to seat in O'Connell, also they should extend the pedestrian area in Dublin 2

sponge_bob liked this post
pontbacalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #129
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontbacalan View Post
As a tourist, I realy enjoyed south area of Dublin2, it's very cool, I regret the dirtt pavement and streets in the north and no benches to seat in O'Connell,
Nobody in their right mind wants to sit anywhere on O Connell St.... is why.

Quote:
also they should extend the pedestrian area in Dublin 2
They will soon extend it one full street east when the tram is built...works start next year. That area is vastly more pleasant than O'Connell St and the quays to the west of O Connell Bridge, thank God.
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #130
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Thanks for the link to your quality newspaper Sponge.

My eyes hurt.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Insert username here liked this post
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #131
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Thanks for the link to your quality newspaper Sponge. My eyes hurt.
So do mine every time I go near O Connell St. No tourist should be allowed up there until we clean up the mess described in that article. I'll quote the policewoman who is quoted in that article from early this year.

Quote:
Garda Louise Moran also told the court that on O'Connell Street the anti-social behaviour problem is “out of control"
This is not acceptable, not on the main street of a capital city which is a major and unavoidable transport hub for near enough 100,000 people a day. Until it is sorted out ...and I can suggest a few uninhabited islands off the west coast suitable to house the zombie apocalypse until the 1916 anniversary is well past.....O Connell St and the Quays area should be declared off limits for tourists, Irish and Foreign tourists equally.
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #132
odlum833

You should go out on the streets like Batman and sort them out. The city needs a protector. You could be that person, Spongeman.

Last edited by odlum833; August 14th, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old August 14th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #133
sponge_bob

What do we have an army and a police force for if they cannot clean up a few streets in Dublin, I pay my taxes not to have to look at an out of control zombie apocalypse every time I walk to the Luas stop at Heuston Station and all points to O Connell St thereafter.
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #134
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 854

I agree with Spongebob wholeheartedly. It has gotten rather out of control and I notice the media reporting on it regularly of late. Those that says it's as bad as everywhere else need a reality check. I do not want to be hassled for change on a daily basis in town, nor to I wish to bear witness to open drug taking and gaggles of heroine addicts generally giving off an air of menace. It's unacceptable quite frankly. Anyway, I've made my feeling on this abundantly clear in anti social behaviour threads so I'll leave it there.
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #135
sponge_bob

There is no way that wall to wall scum hassling people and dealing drugs is tolerated slap bang in the centre of any other capital city that I ever came across. I don't doubt that the best that Dublin can actually manage is to move the problem away by a few km rather than 'solve it' but even that would be a good start compared to the mess that is there now.

I want the mess to be a minimum three streets away from the river and a minimum three streets west/east of a line comprising O Connell St and Grafton St via Westmorelenad St by the time that the Dubs have the cheek to 'celebrate' 1916 in much less than 2 years time at any rate, then I would never get to see it every time I go to Dublin.

I know what will happen to many of the poor tourists that are 'encouraged' up O Connell St in 2016 if they don't do something.

And thankfully I don't live or work there regularly there and therefore have to look at this mess every single day of the week. Plenty of uninhabited islands in the Minister of Tourism Rings constituency in Mayo, off with the lot them there please and airdrop the methadone every morning for all I care.
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #136
plank007

Likes (Received): 1040

Quote:
You should go out on the streets like Batman and sort them out. The city needs a protector. You could be that person, Spongeman.
You're correct. If Dublin City residents stood up against the thugs it would soon be sorted out.

Dublin needs an elected major. It needs people to take pride in their city.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #137
belfastuniguy
Forum Moderator

Likes (Received): 7540

Quote:
My eyes hurt.
So do mine every time I cross to the Dublin Northside.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #138
belfastuniguy
Forum Moderator

Likes (Received): 7540

Quote:
Originally Posted by plank007 View Post
You're correct. If Dublin City residents stood up against the thugs it would soon be sorted out.

Dublin needs an elected major. It needs people to take pride in their city.

An elected mayor in itself is pointless unless they have wide-ranging powers. The Dublin elected mayor will likely be a massive disappointment and utterly underwhelming.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #139
odlum833

I have personally witnessed more beggars and homeless in Washington DC right up to Capitol Hill and more junkies in Prague.

Some need perspective - big city = bigger problems. Just a reality.

Old August 14th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #140
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
So do mine every time I cross to the Dublin Northside.
Care to be more specific?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: