daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #61
thebig C

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
Exactly, ever since I saw the Aqua Vetro proposal I could see how well a 100m building would fit in there. It would mark the high point of a crescendo of buildings along the DART line starting with the Gasworks building. 100 metres would be far more defining and eye-catching in this area than two blocks of 50 metres.
You hit the nail on the head there Dvblvnia. Looking at the renders I couldn't help but imagine the two office blocks combined into a single block of 100m, perhaps retaining the wedge shape, but intersecting at right angles and tapering towards the summit. This would allow for a larger open plaza and additional apartments in the residential element.

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #62
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

This is to be decided tomorrow. From what I understand it could be rejected on the basis that the housing element does not make up a sufficient proportion of the development.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #63
Vyking

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
This is to be decided tomorrow. From what I understand it could be rejected on the basis that the housing element does not make up a sufficient proportion of the development.
What sort of asinine logic is that? This is a business district.
Vyking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #64
odlum833

Residential is suppose to be 30%. I don't think it even makes up 20% of what is proposed.

Old February 5th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #65
belfastuniguy
Forum Moderator

Likes (Received): 7532

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post

Maybe they could have had 30% if building height wasn't capped. How utterly moronic.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #66
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 269

I shouldn't be just a business district. Why would it have to be empty after 5?
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:16 AM   #67
odlum833

It isn't and certainly wouldn't be after either.

Old February 5th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #68
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 851

They could have put more than 42 apartments in it for sure but it should go ahead as proposed. This is the problem with having Sinn Fein in the majority, they wanted a boxing ring in it for heavens sake!

thebig C, Vyking liked this post
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #69
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
Maybe they could have had 30% if building height wasn't capped. How utterly moronic.
There you have it, if the office element was combined into one taller structure there were be a larger open plaza and more scope to increase the number of residential units. But, that can't happen because it would breach the cap imposed on the site. On the other hand reducing the volume of commercial space will significantly diminish the return to NAMA and hence the taxpayer......

Rule by Committee....don't you just love it!!

C
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #70
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydonnelly View Post
They could have put more than 42 apartments in it for sure but it should go ahead as proposed. This is the problem with having Sinn Fein in the majority, they wanted a boxing ring in it for heavens sake!

Spot on Davy! Loads of voters in their wisdom jumped on the anti-everything bandwagon and now Dublin is run by a bunch of Marxists, Trots and former terrorists. The result, anti-science votes called for de-floridation, chaotic scenes of being for and against the Garth Brooks Concert, every development that has a commercial element drawing the ire of the Council, everything remotely related to 1916 becoming absolutely sacrosanct whilst much of the Cities historic fabric falls apart, the Lord Mayor proudly telling radio listeners of how he assisted in Prison escapes and established businesses leaving Fitzwilliam Square after a homeless hostel is foisted upon them at a cost of millions

.....almost makes me thankful that the City Council has next to no power!

C
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #71
Oriel

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Spot on Davy! Loads of voters in their wisdom jumped on the anti-everything bandwagon and now Dublin is run by a bunch of Marxists, Trots and former terrorists. The result, anti-science votes called for de-floridation, chaotic scenes of being for and against the Garth Brooks Concert, every development that has a commercial element drawing the ire of the Council, everything remotely related to 1916 becoming absolutely sacrosanct whilst much of the Cities historic fabric falls apart, the Lord Mayor proudly telling radio listeners of how he assisted in Prison escapes and established businesses leaving Fitzwilliam Square after a homeless hostel is foisted upon them at a cost of millions

.....almost makes me thankful that the City Council has next to no power!

C
You're so right C. I mean DCC wrote the book on good governance, didn't they? Just ignore the rampant corruption, cronyism and backhanders from when FF, FG and Lab were in control of the council. Jesus do you write for the Sindo or something?
Oriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #72
Oriel

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
No Dave they don't have a majority on Dublin City Council, they have a plurality. In fact they nowhere near have a majority.
Oriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #73
richiek83

Likes (Received): 31

Further Information has been requested. Highlights include looking to change the colour of the cladding from rustic/ red/ orange to white and grey.

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apa...esults%3C/a%3E
richiek83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #74
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 851

Another white and grey building? I really don't see the point. It would have been nice to add a bit of colour for once in my opinion. Just read the whole thing, I don't think it's completely unreasonable. After a few adjustments I can't see why this won't go ahead.

richiek83, thebig C liked this post

Last edited by daveydonnelly; February 6th, 2015 at 12:14 PM.
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #75
richiek83

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Please! Another white and grey building? I really don't see the point. It would have been nice to add a bit of colour for once in my opinion. Just read the whole thing, I don't think it's completely unreasonable. After a few adjustments I can't see why this won't go ahead.

Hi Davey,

I think it will indeed go ahead. I think the further information was in some ways to show interest groups/ people that had made a submission that they took some of their concerns on board. Some submissions had mentioned loss of light etc in their submission. The further information requested makes no mention whatsoever on the height of the proposals, to do so would have been contradictory of their own plan (although I wouldn't have been surprised if height was an issue with them, the council).
richiek83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #76
odlum833

Under the SDZ surely they are not allowed to request changes on height once it is within the height allowed for. That would be stupid and negate the whole purpose.

It does look like it will go ahead though. I think the colour is different and would like to see it stay as is. No concern noted over the proportion of living space to office space.

One interesting note is they feel the residential building should share a more similar form with the office buildings. They may have to rework that building a little as they do kind of have a point.

Last edited by odlum833; February 6th, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #77
Vyking

Likes (Received): 422

Oh no DCC aren't happy, quick lob a homeless shelter in there. Maybe a methodone clinic too.

Gobdaws.

thebig C liked this post
Vyking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #78
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriel View Post
You're so right C. I mean DCC wrote the book on good governance, didn't they? Just ignore the rampant corruption, cronyism and backhanders from when FF, FG and Lab were in control of the council. Jesus do you write for the Sindo or something?
Hey Oriel

No, I don't write for the Sindo although I am a big supporter of its use....as toilet paper

No argument regarding DCC. Both the Political and Bureaucratic sides have for decades been engaged in the kinds of decisions that defy logic. I was merely making the point that the supposed new broom is really just another form of madness to that which went before....a slightly worse form imho.

C
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #79
thebig C

Quote:
Another white and grey building? I really don't see the point. It would have been nice to add a bit of colour for once in my opinion. Just read the whole thing, I don't think it's completely unreasonable. After a few adjustments I can't see why this won't go ahead.
Yes surely unlike the Georgian Core this is one area of the City where a little creative licence and diversity of design is to be encouraged. Hopefully this is not a reversion to DCCs 1980s planning policy, wereby any building was given permission....once it was 5 floors, redbrick with faux Georgian windows!

C
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #80
pontbacalan

Likes (Received): 514

i wish they destroy the brutalist ugly buildings close to the tara station as they wasted a nice area, to rebuild better scaled offices
pontbacalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: