daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:30 PM   #1
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

DUBLIN | Capital Dock | 23fls (79m) | Under Construction

The application is for 3 office blocks and two residential blocks.

Quote:
Kennedy Wilson submits planning application for Capital Dock

Global property company Kennedy Wilson and its equity partners, in a joint venture with the National Asset Management Agency (Nama) has submitted planning for its visionary development on Sir John Rogerson’s Quay in Dublin 2.

Extending over 4.8 acres, Capital Dock is one of the largest undeveloped sites in Dublin CBD (Central Business District) and will deliver over 600,000 sq ft of new space at this prime waterfront location.

It will include 313,000 sq ft of office space across three buildings and 204 high quality residential units across two buildings, one of which will incorporate a 19-storey tower. 

The proposed development, which is bounded by water on two sides, places a significant emphasis on public space with a new 1.5-acre landscaped public park and square, designated cultural space and a significant retail/leisure offering.

The site assembly was finalised at the end of 2014 following the completion of a joint venture arrangement between Kennedy Wilson and Nama.

“Our new development at Capital Dock will be the standard bearer for integrated office and residential development,” said Peter Collins, managing director, Kennedy Wilson Europe.

“The scale and layout of the site will enable us to offer larger floor plate office buildings but with a high degree of flexibility. Coupled with the water views on two sides and the level of public amenities being developed Capital Dock should prove very attractive to office users looking to locate in South Docklands. This development will have a transformative effect, not only on the skyline of the Dublin Docklands, but on the public social, cultural and business realm in this part of the city.” 

CEO of Nama Brendan McDonagh added: “Nama is delighted to participate in a joint venture with Kennedy Wilson, a leading international firm that has made a big commitment to Ireland, in respect of this key strategic South Docklands Dublin site.”
http://businessandleadership.com/bus...ilson-submits/

Last edited by odlum833; August 22nd, 2015 at 07:57 PM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 269

Is this what we are getting instead of the U2 Tower then? Not bad considering. Also 19 floors residential is 19*4.5m = 85,5 metres.

Could be just what the doctor ordered?
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:18 PM   #3
odlum833

It's a big development in it's own right. When you put it together with the other projects in planning or about to start it will make a big difference to the area. This one is 600,000 sq ft over half of which is office space. I wonder what that red structure is at the front. An amenity of some sort?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:24 PM   #4
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 71

What is the max number of stories for this site? They could have maxed it out without fear of ABP no?
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:26 PM   #5
odlum833

ABP are not allowed to have a say on this site under the SDZ which allows for 29 fls I think at this location.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:28 PM   #6
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 851

22 stories residential and possibly 19 or 20 commercial or something to that effect. Is it possible that the tower is part commercial / part resi?
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:29 PM   #7
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
ABP are not allowed to have a say on this site under the SDZ which allows for 29 fls I think at this location.
So then why only 19? O.o

Surely the developer would get more bang for buck?
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:32 PM   #8
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydonnelly View Post
22 stories residential and possibly 19 or 20 commercial or something to that effect.
Oh ok. The 29 fls is across the river where the watchtower building was going to be.

This is interesting in terms of the amount of space they appear to be giving over to parks and amenities - sounds well planned. Have to wait for more renders and until the documents are uploaded to comment further really.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:37 PM   #9
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Oh ok. The 29 fls is across the river where the watchtower building was going to be. This is interesting in terms of the amount of space they appear to be giving over to parks and amenities - sounds well planned. Have to wait for more renders and until the documents are uploaded to comment further really.
I think you're right Odlum, I don't think we got two 29 story allocations in the SFZ but I may be wrong.
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:07 PM   #10
Viking74

Likes (Received): 37

Looks good, but doesn't look 88 metres. Is the tower commercial or residential? Aren't residential floors usually around 3 metres? I'd so then this will only be somewhere between 60 and 70 metres high. I know it's not all about height, but is this the tallest we can hope for in Dublin ? Why so safe , and as Saoro already said, why not get more bang for your buck?
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:01 PM   #11
Insert username here

Likes (Received): 679

The site is good for 29 storeys residential/22 commercial. Watchtower site is 22 commercial only. See my post here. It's expensive to build high so KW playing it safe, I guess.

I'll be honest, I'm not overly enthusiastic about how it looks.

4.5 per floor for residential is extremely generous. Closer to 3-3.5m.
Insert username here no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Viking74

There's another photo over on the Journal. I think the tower is supposed to be at least 20 floors and a maximum of 22 floors Commercial (not residential) for this site under the SDZ. Can you imagine it being refused because it's not tall enough? If so I will officially eat my boxers and even post a photo to prove it
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:18 PM   #13
belfastuniguy
Forum Moderator

Likes (Received): 7522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert username here View Post
The site is good for 29 storeys residential/22 commercial. Watchtower site is 22 commercial only. See my post here. It's expensive to build high so KW playing it safe, I guess.

I'll be honest, I'm not overly enthusiastic about how it looks.

4.5 per floor for residential is extremely generous. Closer to 3-3.5m.
19 storey for residential is disappointing, more so when you consider the demand for modern apartments in Dublin, they could have added a few floors and still made a good return IMO

The design is OK, I don't mind it too much, it is a bit typical docklands and banal but it's not awful.

KW are playing safe, I agree. It would have been nice to have a 'landmark' tower as the mouth of the Liffey. I was never expected something like the previous U2 proposal but they could have tried a little harder to make something unique ffs. At the end of the day it's all about cost and their return so we have to view it from that perspective and understand what 'restrictions' were placed on the architects.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:45 AM   #14
odlum833

I like the fact they have refrained from balconies. I'm looking forward to the documents because it seems like an interesting development away from the height issue. It has good density from what I see and that is what is need on a site like this. It will be interesting to see exactly how they plan to use the excess space on parks but also the form the other buildings take and what they look like from different vantage points.

You would imagine with large office floor plates it will act to pull the "silicon docks" area eastward and be very attractive.

Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:52 AM   #15
Oriel

Likes (Received): 250

Even though ABP is not involved here it'll still somehow end up with something like 9 floors. This is Dublin FFS where high rise is a dirty term and all discussion of it strictly verboden!
Oriel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:57 AM   #16
odlum833

I don't see how they could possibly say anything about height when the whole idea is 3 month fast track planning within the SDZ guidelines. The idea is to remove any uncertainty about height.

Hence why nothing was said about height in the Boland's Mill application for example.

They can apply outside the SDZ but why would they do that?

Old April 3rd, 2015, 03:17 AM   #17
Insert username here

Likes (Received): 679

Once it's inside the SDZ and within the site limit, I can't see the no of floors being an issue. One site on the north east corner of the SDZ has a 12 storey max, 10 storey min limit. LAP guidelines tend to be applied more conservatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
The design is OK, I don't mind it too much, it is a bit typical docklands and banal but it's not awful.
I don't hate it. Banal is the word, yeah.

I do appreciate the public space and the overall size of the project.
Insert username here no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:22 AM   #18
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 827

http://www.independent.ie/business/c...-31114652.html

It's a stretch of the term to call this a skyscraper.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:49 AM   #19
dubshee

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The seventh shape View Post
http://www.independent.ie/business/c...-31114652.html

It's a stretch of the term to call this a skyscraper.
Aye it's one metre shorter than Montevetro.. not quite a skyscraper at any stretch of the term. Would it have killed them to reach for 80 metres in one of the last few remaining "landmark" locations right at the mouth of the river? Sites like these should be seen as legacy sites that have the potential to have a profound visual impact on the city as a whole and thus they really shouldn't be falling short of the height guidelines given those guidelines are already erring on the conservative side. I just don't think Montevetro should remain the tallest building in this locale nor should it be seen as a landmark height that shouldn't be breached.

Last edited by dubshee; April 3rd, 2015 at 05:09 PM.
dubshee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:36 AM   #20
Viking74

The more I see this, the more disappointed I get. That building just seems too ordinary and stumpy for that corner site. 66 metres is bollox. Even the Elysian in Cork which is right in the city centre is taller that this. Even if they added a spire or some eye catching feature would make it more interesting. Given all the history associated with the site and the requirement for competitions etc. I would have expected so much more. This was supposed to be the site for the city's signature building and I can't help but be disappointed. If this development was somewhere else in the city I'd be very happy with it, but the landmark element is disappointing. I wonder what's going on the top floor. A restaurant / bar , or recording studio?

saoró..., Sukino liked this post

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: