daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #21
Jimble

Likes (Received): 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerickguy View Post
What I can't understand is how come This area is still so restricted even though the area is quite far from the Georgian core, I think the need to take a look at how limerick are doing things as an example of how mid to high density is acceptable close to historic a historic centre
Again, it comes down to administration. Limerick City Council encompasses a bigger area of the city than DCC does. So it's not just city center people who vote for the councillors. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, South Dublin and Fingal have been a lot more daring because they have more diverse populations. DCC is basically students, a few very rich people and a lot of very poor people who don't see the benefit of this stuff. If DLR extended up to the Docklands I'd say it'd look like Manhattan by now.

DCC voters put pressure on councillors to stop stuff just because they can. Auckland, for example, has 1.4 million people in its city council area and it's actually a smaller city than Dublin. And because of that it's also a much more liveable city.

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #22
Wilderbeast

Likes (Received): 2285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimble View Post
Again, it comes down to administration. Limerick City Council encompasses a bigger area of the city than DCC does. So it's not just city center people who vote for the councillors. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, South Dublin and Fingal have been a lot more daring because they have more diverse populations. DCC is basically students, a few very rich people and a lot of very poor people who don't see the benefit of this stuff. If DLR extended up to the Docklands I'd say it'd look like Manhattan by now.

DCC voters put pressure on councillors to stop stuff just because they can. Auckland, for example, has 1.4 million people in its city council area and it's actually a smaller city than Dublin. And because of that it's also a much more liveable city.
All the more reason for a Mayor over an area covering most of the county Dublin area (maybe excluding north of Swords).

The population between the canals and in the Mausoleum (DL Town centre and adjoining areas) would be heavily outnumbered by people who want transport and accommodation and a modern vibrant city - and don't think Dublin 1904 was the Gold Standard.
Old September 14th, 2016, 04:42 AM   #23
P2O5

Likes (Received): 125

Limerick City council is bigger than DCC because LCC was merged with Limerick County Council though. The old LCC was much smaller than DCC, and it encompassed only the city centre and pre-70s areas.

Last edited by P2O5; September 14th, 2016 at 11:00 AM.
P2O5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:24 AM   #24
Bartley

Likes (Received): 28

Image removed

Last edited by Bartley; November 3rd, 2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: removed image as it was incorrect
Bartley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:06 AM   #25
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 851

Is that the reflector site or the Hanover Quay apartments site?
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:54 PM   #26
Sukino

Likes (Received): 1601

Hanover
Old November 7th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #27
DS86

Likes (Received): 132

This is one of the most interesting buildings going up down in the Docklands. This area is really going to be amazing when completed with the Capital Dock around the corner as well and I hate to bring this up as I know it's a politically charged debate, but when is the caravan encampment in this area going to be moved on?

daveydonnelly liked this post
DS86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #28
mjohnoston

Likes (Received): 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS86 View Post
This is one of the most interesting buildings going up down in the Docklands. This area is really going to be amazing when completed with the Capital Dock around the corner as well and I hate to bring this up as I know it's a politically charged debate, but when is the caravan encampment in this area going to be moved on?
It has been moved a few times already, and returned as many.
mjohnoston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #29
Ongarboy

Likes (Received): 580

Does anyone know what the plans are for the remaining warehouses immediately to the east of the new Reflector building? Will there be an Airbnb type restoration planned for these to provide a similar bookend to that block or would they be demolished for a typical 6/7 storey type development per the other Hanover Quay developments?
Ongarboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:41 PM   #30
Dublin84

Likes (Received): 581

could they not just place a glass box around their precious facade? i.e. preserving the facade and making a feature of it, but not wasting a ton of space above?
Dublin84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #31
Fred_Johnson

Likes (Received): 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongarboy View Post
Does anyone know what the plans are for the remaining warehouses immediately to the east of the new Reflector building? Will there be an Airbnb type restoration planned for these to provide a similar bookend to that block or would they be demolished for a typical 6/7 storey type development per the other Hanover Quay developments?
Apparently our wise city planners reasoned that someones view of something is blocked from some angle if anything more than the typical 6/7 storey block is built there.

Heaven forbid that such a tragedy would ever befall such a mythical person.
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #32
Ongarboy

Likes (Received): 580

A sneak peak of foundation work for the Reflector.
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #33
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongarboy View Post

A sneak peak of foundation work for the Reflector.
Plus a decent shot of Capital Docks from a different angle. That area is some area of construction activity at the moment!
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:05 AM   #34
mjohnoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
Plus a decent shot of Capital Docks from a different angle. That area is some area of construction activity at the moment!
I was out walking down there earlier, I was able to count 20 cranes visible from the riverside in the immediate area only.
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #35
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnoston View Post
I was out walking down there earlier, I was able to count 20 cranes visible from the riverside in the immediate area only.
The Irish Times should hire you for their crane count!

There'll probably be about forty around there next year as all the projects planned for the area progress further.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #36
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

I reckon you could throw in at least another 10 cranes in this shot in the next 3 or 4 months.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #37
mjohnoston

With the pace of some of them though, there will be a few of those cranes gone soon too!
Old March 9th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #38
Fred_Johnson

Likes (Received): 1322

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I reckon you could throw in at least another 10 cranes in this shot in the next 3 or 4 months.
We may be at peak crane now. Only cranes for 76 SJRQ will be added to that view, meanwhile some projects this time next year will be winding up, like Block D of Dublin landings and Capital Dock. We'll probably see another 10 on the North Docks though.
Fred_Johnson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #39
Wilderbeast

Likes (Received): 2285

All those tall cranes building short buildings...shame

Dublin84, Markpb, geogregor liked this post
Wilderbeast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #40
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

From Turgison on Flickr

Thread title should be changed to U/C