daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Ongarboy

Likes (Received): 582

DUBLIN | Townsend Street | 8 floors | Planning

I thought this very significant street transforming development in Dublin's south inner city was worth its own thread. Located in the block facing Townsend Street, Moss Street and Gloucester Street South where Ned's bar and Advance Tyres currently reside. Planning lodged last week with DCC.

Planning Ref: 2711/17

I work nearby and pass the existing grotty site every day so I hope this gets the go ahead and not suffer the same fate as the 7 storey proposed development across the road next to the viaduct that was recently refused meaning that hideous looking site will now be an ugly blight on the street well into the 2020s thanks to narrow minded planning dictators!

Townsend Street

Client
Tetrarch Capital

Townsend Street mixed-use development is bounded by Townsend Street, Moss Street and Gloucester Street South in the George’s Dock area of Dublin 2 and is cognisant of its Dublin City centre location.

The proposed scheme is composed of 4 buildings with 3 primary street edge elevations. The urban block has been carved to create several secondary elevations facing on to the proposed landscaped courtyard and existing Bracken’s Lane. The buildings are 8 storeys with setbacks at the 7th floor level and house a vibrant mix of uses- hotel, aparthotel, residential, restaurant and retail. A varied palette of elevational treatments is tied together by strong pedestrian and public realm connections and a unifying architectural vocabulary which references its context in form, grain and materiality.

This scheme is at detail design stage and looks to make a mark on this central location linking George’s Dock and O’Connell Street with the Grand Canal Dock area.

existing streetscape

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Fred_Johnson

Likes (Received): 1325

Looks great. But i fear the NIMBYISM is strong in this area. Lots of social housing nearby. And Landen house was blocked.

I expect this to be rejected, and a new version submitted that is only 6 storeys with a setback.

Gaillimh liked this post
Fred_Johnson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Dublin84

Looks great. In relation to landed house, it can be appealed to abp..
Dublin84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:35 PM   #4
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 855

Looks great - such an improvement ! Therefore will no doubt face severe planning challenges..
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 07:45 PM   #5
Gaillimh
Registered Use

Likes (Received): 513

Far too tall for the city centre. This isn't Manhattan.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 08:02 PM   #6
mjohnoston

Likes (Received): 848

This is common to all threads really, but it'd be great if OPs could include maps of the location of developments.
mjohnoston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Insert username here

Likes (Received): 679

I'm not sure I like the greyness of it. It could do with more contrasting colours.

It, along with a few nearby developments, would do wonders for the area though. Everything from Hawkins Street to Lombard Street is in bits save for a handful of buildings.

daveydonnelly liked this post
Insert username here no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 08:17 PM   #8
Ongarboy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnoston View Post
This is common to all threads really, but it'd be great if OPs could include maps of the location of developments.
Ever heard of google maps?
Ongarboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 12:22 AM   #9
mjohnoston

Likes (Received): 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongarboy View Post
Ever heard of google maps?
Of course, but it's cool to have all the info collated in one place - in a weird way SSC becomes kind of a wiki of building projects because of the amount of info easily found here for past developments.

Plus, its sometimes hard to tell what the extents of a development might be.

Anyway, I think this is the correct location and boundary:

Ongarboy, DS86 liked this post
mjohnoston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #10
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 935

It would be great if this was approved as is (aside from some addition of colour). This whole area is ripe for re-development considering its prime location besides a transport hub and the scope for densification. It would also help knit the south docklands in with the rest of the city centre if developments like these were approved.
Old April 25th, 2017, 12:59 AM   #11
DS86

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaillimh View Post
Far too tall for the city centre Joe. This isn't Manhattan.
FYP
DS86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #12
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 935

There is an article in today's Irish Times about this project - here.

This is the key paragraph of the article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Times
Tetrarch is seeking to build an eight-storey budget hotel with 393 bedrooms and related facilities. Its plans also include an aparthotel of 202 units in two blocks providing frontage on to all three streets, a large ground-floor restaurant on the site of Ned’s pub, and an apartment block of 21 units on Gloucester Street.
Subject to approval, it will start construction next year with completion in 2020.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #13
Ongarboy

Council demands more details from Tetrarch regarding €65m hotel plan
http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-35835524.html

Sometimes I despair!! How can a grotty pub, a dirty tyre repair centre and condemned derelict former flats facing 100s of council flats be considered historical fabric to justify blocking or altering this scheme?

daveydonnelly, Fred_Johnson, Sukino liked this post
Ongarboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #14
daveydonnelly

I'm so sick of the idiots in charge of this city
Old June 18th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #15
opatta17

Likes (Received): 226

Aparthotel of 202 units is a key concern probably. There is possibility it will end up as a typical rented flats, just much below required standards (size, car park space, percent of flats in development) being pot of gold for developers / future landlords (corporate?) and hell for tenants.

Ongarboy liked this post
opatta17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #16
HandyAndrew

Likes (Received): 101

You do understand that it could only he'll for tenants if they, in their own sound judgement, agree to rent there. And most likely it would only be for a year which is the standard lease term.

This is the problem. There is no competition amongst rental property providers. If you let developers build what they want there would be a ton more stuff on the market whereby they have to compete for tenants. Instead, we have everything the wrong way around which means it is always tenants competing for the rare few properties that do end up getting built.

Just let them built rubbish and let them go bust. Result= their prices will drop to match their product
Quality and they'll build what the market wants the next time.

daveydonnelly liked this post
HandyAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #17
daveydonnelly

DUBLIN | Townsend Street | 8 floors | Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by opatta17 View Post
Aparthotel of 202 units is a key concern probably. There is possibility it will end up as a typical rented flats, just much below required standards (size, car park space, percent of flats in development) being pot of gold for developers / future landlords (corporate?) and hell for tenants.

Everything "concerns" them. I don't understand how these people are supposedly qualified to make the decisions they make. I'd like to see the CV's of the planning decision makers in DCC and ABP. I'm not sure if I trust Eoghan Murphy to look into our planning shambles either. Simon seemed more intelligent and focused and look how he turned out. Hopefully EM is as cut throat and cunning as they say he is..

Wilderbeast liked this post
Old June 18th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #18
Fred_Johnson

Likes (Received): 1325

Does Murphy have an email address? We should bombard him with complaints about the planning system, he might be more receptive as he's a young lad and just starting in the role.

daveydonnelly, Dublin84 liked this post
Fred_Johnson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #19
daveydonnelly

You'll probably get one from his office in Ranelagh, I'm sure there's a website
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #20
opatta17

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndrew View Post
If you let developers build what they want there would be a ton more stuff on the market whereby they have to compete for tenants.
I wonder if you are builder/developer or you just are stupidly naive. It never worked - will never work the way you talking about. Not only in accommodation but all other industries - food, cloth, car, electronics etc. That why we have regulations ensuring minimum standards - it is called CIVILISATION.
opatta17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: