daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you support the proposed design for College Green Civic Plaza
Yes 31 81.58%
No 3 7.89%
Undecided / No Opinion 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21st, 2017, 04:31 PM   #101
kerry_man

Likes (Received): 60

I agree about Foster place. It won't be a popular opinion as everyone likes mature trees, but they are simply too big and block all the sunlight.
It's a south facing street with beautiful buildings on either side, so trees aren't necessary to beautify it.

Also apparently the Irish Stock Exchange is taking over the old wax museum building and the other majestic building is used by Trinity college. Obviously these uses have their merits but are relatively "dead" buildings with little light.
I agree that it would be perfect for cafe's, bars and restaurants with an outside terrace. It's so sheltered and once trees are removed would be sunny at times.
It's also a shame BOI need vehicle access down foster place.

daveydonnelly, Deedsie, celtcia liked this post
kerry_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:39 PM   #102
kerry_man

I'm sure it's been said a 1000 times before but really we need to do something amazing with the BOI HQ.

My proposal is a museum/center for Irish culture.
Covering everything from rock music, folk music, literature, poetry, Seanchai, comedy, animation, film, acting, theatre etc.
It could have temporary exhibits to tie in with anniversaries such as 40 years of U2 or the Dubliners or whatever.
Also have a theatre/gig space for shows at night. Also the front square could be used for outside summer gigs. Also include cafe, bar restaurant etc...
I think it would interest locals and tourists alike, and would take over from the Guinness factory as the number one attraction in Ireland as it would attract the whole spectrum of society and tourists.

nitrobyname, celtcia liked this post
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:44 PM   #103
kerry_man

For example you could have a temporary exhibit on the films of Daniel Day Lewis or poetry of Heaney or the animation of Brown Bag films etc...
A gig or talk or screening could accompany it.
History and Art seem to dominate museums and they have their merits, but honestly most people are interested in film, music and literature
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:55 PM   #104
kerry_man

The philosophy of trinity science museum with its changing exhibits, interactive displays, talks, events etc is what I envisage, but bigger and broader subject.
I can't think of an example in another city to be honest, I normally end up in History and Art museums
Old May 21st, 2017, 05:32 PM   #105
kerry_man

This is maybe pie in the sky talk but an obvious solution would be for the BOI to move to the vacated central bank building just 50m down the road.
I'm not sure how feasible this is in terms of the functionality of the building and required security but it would be a good solution
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:15 PM   #106
wakka12

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry_man View Post
This is maybe pie in the sky talk but an obvious solution would be for the BOI to move to the vacated central bank building just 50m down the road.
I'm not sure how feasible this is in terms of the functionality of the building and required security but it would be a good solution
The central bank is sold and had redevelopment plans already I believe. But Im sure there are other better solutions, I don't see why the current residence is very suitable for BOI. Would they not prefer larger more modern office space?

The building is literally perfect as an important cultural venue
wakka12 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:19 PM   #107
wakka12

With the luas extension, the pedestrianisation and redevelopment of the square overall, central bank being redeveloped, nearby hawkins house redevelopment, and the St.Andrews church market plan, and if the BOI is given a new purpose, I think we could have a really amazing little space in the heart of Dublin..like Im really excited just thinking about it!

Its really going to become the undisputed heart of the city!

Quilliam liked this post
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:27 PM   #108
wakka12

And does anyone know of any plans to change the ulster bank facade? it just really takes away from the whole square overall imo, big clunky concrete pillars. Starbucks by fosters place could go while we're at it..
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:06 PM   #109
kerry_man

Yes exactly true about St Andrews church also.
If you look at it on Google maps or in person, it has a yard all the way around it, so it could be an open market square. At the moment its just another beautiful but dead building.
Fair play to the developer planning the market and restaurant. He mentioned other markets in Europe which are "destination markets" which seems like a good idea.
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:19 PM   #110
kerry_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
The central bank is sold and had redevelopment plans already I believe. But Im sure there are other better solutions, I don't see why the current residence is very suitable for BOI. Would they not prefer larger more modern office space?

The building is literally perfect as an important cultural venue
Yes I agree.
The days of financial institutions being in the city centre are long gone.
Historically it seems college green was the financial and banking district of Dublin with the Central Bank, Stock Exchange and BOI, but the modern ethos is to move them out and keep the central area for culture, food, shopping etc...
There must be surely some NAMA site in the docklands they could move to.
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:36 PM   #111
belfastuniguy
Forum Moderator

Likes (Received): 7543

Why would they want to move though? Their building isn't exactly worthless and nor do I see any inclination on their part, from previous statements, that they intend to leave the building.

Don't overlook the desire of historic institutions like BOI to have 'grand' buildings. They haven't used it as the Head Office since the 1970's, I doubt they'll be giving it up any time soon.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::

Catmalojin liked this post
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:48 AM   #112
kerry_man

I guess they'd have to persuaded somehow. The government owns 15% of BOI so it could give them leverage. I'm not sure if CPO could apply in this scenario since they've been there since 1801
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:05 AM   #113
belfastuniguy
Forum Moderator

Likes (Received): 7543

A CPO could be challenged legally very easily, what would be the basis and purpose of a CPO?

The Government's 14% is historic and BOI received no bailout during the recesssion so that further compounds the difficulties of any Government attempts to 'acquire' the property.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:05 AM   #114
Wilderbeast

Likes (Received): 2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry_man View Post
I guess they'd have to persuaded somehow. The government owns 15% of BOI so it could give them leverage. I'm not sure if CPO could apply in this scenario since they've been there since 1801
If our mainstream politicians were not utterly subservient (in hock?) to the Banksters this building could easily have been prised from the grasp of BoI when we bailed it out (yes we did - what the F do you think the "Bank Guarantee" was)

celtcia liked this post
Wilderbeast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:17 AM   #115
nitrobyname

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
And does anyone know of any plans to change the ulster bank facade? it just really takes away from the whole square overall imo, big clunky concrete pillars. Starbucks by fosters place could go while we're at it..
I think it would be great to try and recreate a classy 19th century style building here, maybe with some modern touches to meld an old sense of grandeur which compliments the rest of the street with a new visionary design.

Now I know alot of people on here would probably disagree, and think it pastiche, but i think it would be nice. one of the few places in the country i think it would work very well. If designed well that is...

Wilderbeast, Gaillimh liked this post
nitrobyname no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:46 AM   #116
Wilderbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobyname View Post
Now I know alot of people on here would probably disagree, and think it pastiche, but i think it would be nice. one of the few places in the country i think it would work very well. If designed well that is...
Given the existing Trinity and BoI buildings are Greco-Roman pastiche - yet revered as sacred architectural heritage - I'm amused at the scorn heaped by "no-nothing" dolts on modern replication of older styles.

It's an illogical, bizarre and usually tasteless mindset.

I guess cults for the mindless can pop up anywhere, even in the field of architecture
Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:56 PM   #117
Jimble

Likes (Received): 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
If our mainstream politicians were not utterly subservient (in hock?) to the Banksters this building could easily have been prised from the grasp of BoI when we bailed it out (yes we did - what the F do you think the "Bank Guarantee" was)
Allowing the banks to be in such a sorry state and so big that they needed to be bailed out: very bad.

Bailing out the banks to protect peoples life savings and pension funds from going under with the sub prime mortgages: good.

There's a lot of nuance in the reasoning for the bailouts around the world in 2008. No government was worried about a few bankers losing their wages after the crash. They were worried their States collapsing into anarchy when people couldn't withdraw any of their money. If the global banking system had been allowed to fail in 2008 you'd be grumping about that right now...except you'd probably be sending it to us via carrier pigeon because Western Civilization would have collapsed in the meantime.

Moving swiftly on...BOI doesn't want to lose that building because it says something about who they are. Banks use imposing design to project a feeling of stability and strength. By owning the former Houses of Parliament Bank of Ireland is projecting its place at the centre of Irish society. They couldn't care less if the buildings are useful or not. The building is central to the bank's image. Remember that in 2010 when the State was collapsing the pictures on the front pages of international newspapers weren't of the Central Bank, they were of the gates to the Bank of Ireland.

BendiBus liked this post
Jimble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:23 PM   #118
Wilderbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimble View Post
Bailing out the banks to protect peoples life savings and pension funds from going under with the sub prime mortgages: good.
Unfortunately, the affects of this were to undermine confidence in "the system" all across the West - with ramifications that are still playing out.

People who had no part in the Bankster speculation are now paying the price - and will continue to do so for an indeterminate period into the future.

"Risk" and "moral hazard" were clearly shown to be concepts only applicable to the "little people"...who, infamously, are the only ones who pay tax.

Quote:
BOI doesn't want to lose that building because it says something about who they are. Banks use imposing design to project a feeling of stability and strength. By owning the former Houses of Parliament Bank of Ireland is projecting its place at the centre of Irish society. They couldn't care less if the buildings are useful or not. The building is central to the bank's image. Remember that in 2010 when the State was collapsing the pictures on the front pages of international newspapers weren't of the Central Bank, they were of the gates to the Bank of Ireland.
Really don't give a f*** what BoI wants, they'd not exist today if it wasn't for the taxpayer.

The Government could easily have found a way to prise the Parliament Building from BoI ... but it lacked the will - in no small part because the Bankster establishment and the mainstream Political Establishment are two sides of the same coin

The Plaza project is second rate as a result...

celtcia liked this post

Last edited by Wilderbeast; May 22nd, 2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old May 24th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #119
Wilderbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Is Foster Place included in the plan?

I always found this enclave to be preculiarly Parisian.

Indeed it is; or it could be London, Rome or any number of continental cities where mature (aka large) plane trees (or limes in Berlin!) are part of the streetscape, even in front of magnificent buildings.
Old May 24th, 2017, 02:00 AM   #120
celtcia

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
Indeed it is; or it could be London, Rome or any number of continental cities where mature (aka large) plane trees (or limes in Berlin!) are part of the streetscape, even in front of magnificent buildings.
How many new trees are there?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: