daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME
» Development News | Baltimore / Washington DC| Buffalo / Niagara Falls | New Jersey | New York City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Will Phila benefit by joining the NYC metro???
yes 15 25.86%
no 43 74.14%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 14th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #1
wanderer34

Likes (Received): 0

Is Phila going to join the NYC metro???

In this forum, we've been talking about the so-called inevitable merging between the NYC and Phila metros into one metro, which will eventually go in favor to NYC. I understand that a similar merge happened in the 80's with the Baltimore and DC metros, and in the future, Boston and Providence metros, will merge, eventually surpassing the Phila metro in population??? Honestly, I don't see how a merger between the two cities will be of benefit to both cities, especially Philadelphia. While NYC is an Alpha world-class city, we're one notch below of even being in the lowest rating of a Gamma world-class city. In my opinion, it will only feed NYC's big ego of being this big metro area and such and such, but I see them as separate metros. Baltimore and DC both share TV stations, as do Providence and Boston, but Phila and NYC don't. Also, there's different culture between the two cities. In NYC,they're called brownstones, while in Phila, they're called rowhomes. They have hot dogs, we have steaks. They have hero sandwiches, we have hoagies. They say wat-uh, most of us say wooder. They say dimepiece, we say jawn. You get the picture.
wanderer34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2005, 04:04 AM   #2
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

it will never, ever happen. philadelphia is a city in it's own right, and always will be.

anyone that thinks that philly will become part of new york city's metro would have to say that baltimore is part of washington dc's metro. those cities have already "merged", but we still recognize them as two separate cities that happen to be close to each other. baltimore was never absorbed by washington, or vice versa. the same will be for philly.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #3
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

c'mon now......lol. lemme make TWO points.

1) philly's TWO hours from NYC. to be included in somebody else's metro area, i think u have to be within 50 miles of that particular city.

2) philly's done so much to build up it's own reputation. this would truly be a MAJOR slap in the face for the "city of brotherly love" if this merger ever was to come about.

i can see b'more/dc and boston/providence being considered ONE market. they're so very close.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #4
ROCguy

Likes (Received): 3

I don't think so... maybe they could join together to be part of a CMSA in the future... as NYC's urban area spreads out in all directions... inlcuding the way to Philly. But Philadlephia is already 1.5 million city 6 million metro by itself.
ROCguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 04:57 AM   #5
*Sweetkisses*

Likes (Received): 2

NO!
*Sweetkisses* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #6
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

no. too far apart and phila has its own thing going on.
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #7
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

If they were to merge whenever that were to happen which I doubt, they would be recognized as being in eachother's metro like DC and B'more, if there's connection, it doesn't really matter if they're different cities, even if they're very different like DC and B'more. It would be NYC-Philly.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #8
volguus zildrohar
Slightly Hammered

I'd like to think not but if both cities continue to sling their influence further beyond their borders, time may prove us all wrong.

I'd be the first one to spit in someone's face if they called Philadelphia a NYC suburb. That's a dig you won't walk away from.
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #9
phillyskyline

^Amen VZ
Old October 15th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #10
BuffCity
I make Buffalo look good!

Likes (Received): 5

NYC is not really growing towards Philly...ofcourse NYC will try it's damndest to grow within the state which means to the east and the north.
Old October 15th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #11
e2ksj3

Quote:
Baltimore and DC both share TV stations, as do Providence and Boston, but Phila and NYC don't. Also, there's different culture between the two cities.
DC and Baltimore have their own TV stations and even some radio stations, you can't get in Baltimore, but can receive in DC (and vice-versa) despite being so close to one another. I don't know about Providence and Boston.

I think NYC and Philly could join and form one CMSA, while still maintaining their own MSA, like DC/Baltimore, but I agree, I think NYC would overshadow Philly, much like DC overshadows Baltimore, but that could actually be to their advantage economically. Baltimore recently started a marketing campaign (http://www.livebaltimore.com) in DC to get Washingtonians to move to their city, and commute to DC via commuter train, where their buck would go a lot further, and so far it has worked. Baltimore is undergoing a lot of revitilization now.
e2ksj3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #12
grfrednet

I'm not exactly sure how the metro area designation is applied but...

Philadelphia's metro area border is probably only around 30 to 35 miles away from New York's metro border. Also, the cities of New York and Philadelphia proper are about 65 miles apart at their closest points, i.e. Northeast Philadelphia to Staten Island. Given these facts, I don't think it is naive to speculate about the possibility of a combined metropolitan area within our lifetimes.

It could be good or bad for Philadelphia depending on how Philadelphia goes about marketing itself, and how it approaches the opportunities of such a statistical merge.
grfrednet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #13
*Sweetkisses*

Likes (Received): 2

Whoever said yes should be shot.
*Sweetkisses* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #14
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2694

I think it is only a matter of time before NYC and Philly merge. As long as their metros keep growing, it will happen eventually, whether it be 50 years or 200 years. but jus the fact that they touch won't mean that one will absorb the other.

Bmore and DC are far closer, they do share many TV stations and radio stations. Even their economic bureau is the same (Baltimore-Washington Economic Council or something like that). There are plans to merge the two cities' mass transit, ad many people, including myself, are all for a single region identity. Although one thing preventing this from happening in DC-Bmore and not in NY-Philly is that DC is the capital and therefore must remain distinct in some sense. But still, given that there is a very strong movement in favor of merging DC and Bmore (granted there's a strong opposition as well) and still they are seen as being very distinct, my guess is that NYC and Philly will remain their own until so far into the future that they are far beyond recognition by us anyway.

I did read an article in the NY Times a few months back, however, that declared Philly the sixth bourough because so many were moving there and actually commuting to Manhattan. Even I, who has very little connection to Philly, saw how offensive the article must have been to Philly. I would have ripped it up if it had been my newspaper. But on the bright side, Philly wasn't going down without a fight, and the article mentioned how Philly was welcoming these immigrants and trying hard to "convert" them into Philadelphians. So, good luck to Philly.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #15
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

metro areas can't be based solely on commuting patterns. in that case, you can stretch the argument even farther and say baltimore or washington dc are joining the nyc metro because there is an ever increasing amount of people that commute from maryland to new york.

in my opinion, a metro area is definied by it's economic influence on the surrounding areas. where is the center of business for a given suburb? what major city is the center of business for shopping, entertainment, etc? what place is the hub where products are distributed out into the area?
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #16
e2ksj3

I don't know why people find it so hard imagine the two merging and why it is even so bad. NYC will remain NYC and Philly will remain Philly. It would be better to group the two areas together, if there is a strong link between the two economically and in terms of commuting patterns.

I think the Census would still classify the two as two different MSA's (like Philadelphia-Camden MSA and New York MSA etc), but they would share CMSA, much like DC and Baltimore now. Those two areas have always remain distinct from one another, AND AGAIN, I repeat, the two DO NOT share any TV stations. However, you'll will find towns like Columbia or Annapolis that have both Baltimore and DC stations on their cable lineup. The same goes for radio stations, newspapers (Washington Post and Baltimore Sun) and sports teams. The only mass transit they really share is MARC and a few buses going between the cities. The two are distinct, someone from Baltimore isn't going to say, "I'm from DC", lol.

The only reason I think the census put the two together is because of the commuting patterns between the MSA's and the fact that the two share many of the same suburbs, somewhat like Philly and NY now, but much further away, and although 100 miles maybe far to us now, 35 miles use to be far for people to commute.

Last edited by e2ksj3; October 15th, 2005 at 09:05 PM.
e2ksj3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #17
Killadelphia
I'm Priceless

Uh- it's never gonna happen... Even if the metros were literally touching and there was a single one way street seperating the two, they would never become one. Philly doesn't like NY much and NY kinda doesn't care about Philly. If the horrendous thing ever took place it would be billions of years from now right before the destruction of the earth.
Old October 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #18
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

jesus! who the hell commutes from maryland to new york?
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #19
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I don't think it makes a difference what CSA Philly's in. In reality, it's not in the same metro as NY. Not now, and I doubt any time soon.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #20
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3
I think the Census would still classify the two as two different MSA's (like Philadelphia-Camden MSA and New York MSA etc), but they would share CMSA, much like DC and Baltimore now.
philly and new york city are their own cmsa's already.