daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:40 AM   #61
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
Yeah, Galway's boundaries were, of the five city council areas, the most coherent, contiguous and logical..
Only after the boundaries were redrawn in 1985 to recapture the city bloat since 1970 mind. The City was inside the City Boundary as late as around 1970 and then went over it in 3 directions ( the old 1899 City boundary ended at the Golf Club in Salthill and at the GMIT/Corrib Hotel to the east.

Waterford and Limerick were both straddling 3 local authority areas until recently and in Waterfords case they didn't deal with Kilkenny any more than Limerick dealt with Clare.

The same messing around went on there too...this shopping centre mentioned is

a) still empty after over 10 years
b) got permission from Kilkenny county council

and

c) finally the councillors in Kilkenny asked for 'a report'. on the mess they themselves created over the years and some even spoke sensibly about their mess.

Galway county council did not engage overly in doughnutting the City with out of town developments but Kilkenny and Clare would in a flash based on their records. It is because the city and county have co existed that Galway was left alone....this time.

The first thing the newly independent Fingal and South Dublin councils did back in the early 1990s was to build a super mega shopping centre each (Tallaght and Blanchardstown) and then Dun Laoghaire reciprocated with Dundrum and South Dublin naturally went for Liffey Valley as a backup.

In the case of Sligo and Letterenny and Castlebar the town authorities were abolished into the County altogether in the locals, and in Tuam of course.

Last edited by sponge_bob; September 3rd, 2014 at 12:49 AM.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:00 AM   #62
dubhthach

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
Yeah, Galway's boundaries were, of the five city council areas, the most coherent, contiguous and logical. Basically all of Galway city is in the area governed by Galway city council. While Oranmore and Claregalway, satellite towns of the city, are excluded there isn't a pressing need to include them within the boundary just yet.

The new metropolitan area of Limerick is quite unusual - it's still quite defined by the Limerick county border which I find to be unusual when it straddles the Limerick/Clare border. I've felt that the boundary should have been drawn as a vague ellipse with Parteen, Annacotty, Raheen Business Park and Caherdavin as the edges.
Someone had the radical idea a couple years ago about merging Limerick, Clare and Tippeary North into a new "Thomond" county council, with an enlarged Limerick City as it's focal point(including parts of what would then be former "Clare county council" area). Of course it was too imaginative an idea for the politico's
dubhthach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:39 AM   #63
sponge_bob

Traditional counties are difficult to breach without cause....which is why there was no problem merging Tipps North and South in June BTW.

I think the threshhold for a local authority nowadays should be c.100k skullages .......which is an argument for merging Sligo and Leitrim but not necessarily for abolishing Mayo or merging the Galways. 100k persons and a decent sized town allows delivery of roads libraries fire and all the other bells and whistles we expect and to a reasonable standard. I think smaller entities than that simply don't get a hearing.

But I am glad that Limerick is officially bigger than Galway for the first time in 20 years at least....because it is and always was and it took a bit of a hack to make that official no questions asked. Numpties saying Galway was bigger than Limerick (correct on a narrow statistical measure) pissed me off.

Can we go back to parochial matters like finding out if we did actually rob the key for Dublins no longer swinging bridge in 2010 like that Odlum fella reckons we did???
Old October 16th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #64
sponge_bob

Lough Atalia Road Lowering to commence in November

I have been informed that the Lough Atalia road is to be closed in January and February and early March to facilitate construction of a bigger swimming pool under the railway bridge. The 160 year old cast iron bridge is a listed structure and has gotten a few smacks over the years. Normally a smack results in the road being closed for 2 weeks to allow someone to 'look at' the bridge.

Those familiar with the road under the railway bridge are aware that it is low lying and bowl shaped so it collects water in heavy rain...a not uncommon event in Galway.

The solution is to lower it BELOW sea level ( at high tide) and to build a more efficient way of collecting this stormwater ...and a bigger swimming pool in so doing.

The existing footpaths on either side are sometimes passable despite flooding on the roadway, the solution there is to lower them further to ensure that they are covered in water too.

This work, naturally, will necessitate a complete closure of the road and the footpaths Barriers will be erected to deal with pesky cyclists. Cyclists are all to be diverted via Eyre Square...shudders.

The restoration of the damaged cast iron fascia shown abive is not part of the works as I understand it and the road will have to be closed in future to repair the fascia itself as I understand matters. The functionary who informed me would not be drawn on the 'why are you not repairing the bridge itself while the road is closed for 2 months' issue.

Advance warning signs are to be erected soon with firm dates.

Last edited by sponge_bob; October 16th, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old November 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #65
sponge_bob

The recession is well over and the Third Plan to build a tram network in Galway ( in less than 10 years) is published.

These were.

1. Corrib Light Rail ( 2006) by a character named Brian Guckian.
2. Gluas (2008) http://www.gluas.ie/who-we-are/ . This is the first proposal repackaged by morkeshing types really. An engineer might have appeared somewhere.

and now ( warning the Music is VERY ANNOYING so turn it off)

3. SUIG. The biggest and most expensive of the 3 light rail/tram proposals to date at only "€500m to €600m" to build.

Old November 13th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #66
Viking74

Likes (Received): 37

Even one line running East - West in a linear city like Galway would surely make a huge difference to the city's awful traffic problems. On the plus side I see that Galway bikes are almost ready!

https://www.bikeshare.ie/cities
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #67
sponge_bob

One generally following the current ring road once the new outer ring road is built and some space is made available ...by all means.

They should start with Bus Rapid Transit for the next 20 years and thereby build on the success of the Parkmore Bus Route which is one of the 10 busiest urban bus routes in the county, helped by a decent frequency.

A tram would be nice, but a predictable and reliable bus service is an essential precursor to prove the traffic case in Galway.
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #68
oon27

Likes (Received): 80

Maybe Cork should get a tram before Galway.
oon27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #69
sponge_bob

Indeed. However, I never recall a proposal to build one that actually emanated from Cork. Crank it up in the Cork thread some time.

Brian Guckian had a proposal to do something in Cork but he also wanted to restore the Listowel - Ballybunion line as well so I wouldn't mind him overly.

Last edited by sponge_bob; November 14th, 2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old November 15th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #70
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 759

Quote:
They should start with Bus Rapid Transit for the next 20 years and thereby build on the success of the Parkmore Bus Route which is one of the 10 busiest urban bus routes in the county, helped by a decent frequency.
I would assume that the 409 would be in the top ten urban bus routes in Galway, there are only 12 to 13 urban routes in the City/ County.
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #71
sponge_bob

Oops. The 409 is in the top 10 in the country for Bus Eireann Routes and possibly in the top 10 for all City Routes. It carries 1/3 of all Galway City Bus Passengers...way more than any other.

If it was in Dublin it would carry at least 1% of all the Dublin Bus traffic on its own.

Last edited by sponge_bob; November 15th, 2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old November 15th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #72
Vyking

Likes (Received): 422

I see its designed in the traditional Irish style - the lines don't connect.
Vyking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #73
sponge_bob

TBH I think the 3 separate tram proposals in less than 10 years for Galway are a distraction.

1. Build the Galway Bypass
2. Build interconnecting QBCs on the roadspace freed up.

and when 2 gets really busy then by all means consider an upgrade to a tram. It will be a dodgy old job as the quincentennial east approach needs to be dug up first owing to ongoing subsidence as will the Headford road...anyone notice the deep hole/banjaxed footpath that is the new Dunnes entrance? Ya could not put a tram on that.

But I think 'a Galway tram' is 20 years away and a business case to be made by QBCs in the interim. Sure we might even have to build a U-Bahn by then instead sure. Meanwhile it is an amusing distraction.
Old November 16th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #74
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
But I think 'a Galway tram' is 20 years away and a business case to be made by QBCs in the interim. Sure we might even have to build a U-Bahn by then instead sure. Meanwhile it is an amusing distraction.
Yes, a distraction they certainly are. While I'm generally well disposed to rail projects and investments, this one has always struck me as ludicrous. Galway simply doesn't have the population or the density to justify a light-rail network. While Galway could certainly do with investments in its road capacity and improvements in bus services like you outline, a tram service is excessive in a city of just under 80,000. Any investment in this would bear far more fruit directed towards cycle lanes, QBCs and park-and-ride facilities.

geogregor liked this post
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #75
invogue

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
TBH I think the 3 separate tram proposals in less than 10 years for Galway are a distraction.

1. Build the Galway Bypass
2. Build interconnecting QBCs on the roadspace freed up.

and when 2 gets really busy then by all means consider an upgrade to a tram. It will be a dodgy old job as the quincentennial east approach needs to be dug up first owing to ongoing subsidence as will the Headford road...anyone notice the deep hole/banjaxed footpath that is the new Dunnes entrance? Ya could not put a tram on that.

Fully agree here, I think a motorway continuation will come first too. Up as far as Sligo perhaps.....
invogue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #76
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 269

There really isn't any need for motorway all the way to Sligo. The vehicle demand as far as Tuam is touch and go at best and gets less as you go away from the city.

A decent dual carriageway would do the job.
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #77
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Motorway.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #78
sponge_bob

They are looking at doing Tuam to Colooney as 2+2 ( Type 2 DC) ....a la the stretch around Dromod on the N4...sure the Tuam Bypass itself won't even be motorway ( the motorway will start just south of Tuam ....it will be Type 2 DC 2+2 would ya believe.

A very adequate road type...if limited to 100kph. The Knock Bypass can easily be retrofitted as 2+2 and the section east of Claremorris too....after they add a few flyovers first.

But if they built a decent single carriageway around Milltown and as far as Ballindine I would be perfectly happy....that's only 8km or so of road to give us a continually good road as far as Knock Airport more or less. AADT north of Tuam is not near 10,000, 7-8k or so.

This may change if Mayo people start to head for the new M17 in droves and AADT goes over 10k for a few years. In fact I think they are doing 2km south of Ballindine this year so that only leaves 6km of cack around Milltown to do and we would have a fine road from Galway to nearly Balla.
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #79
PeteC

Likes (Received): 689

I cant see any DC being built north of Tuam for a long time. For the rest of the N17, the existing road to north of Charlestown is sufficient for now. From Curry north, a new road would be needed which should cut a cross to join the N4 south of Ballymote.
PeteC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #80
sponge_bob

That'd be around right Pete with a bit of straightening from Knock Airport to Charlestown and around Milltown thrown in. Total around 10km of good 1+1.

The stretch from Curry to near Collooney ro Ballymote should be built as offline 2+2 from scratch I would say. It is a long distance route where people make long journeys and where certainty and safety is an important deliverable.

But much of the crap bit of existing route is amenable to sticky plaster largely online 1+1 which will do fine for a good few years. I think we enumerated all the candidates and they do not amount to much on the aggregate.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: