daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #21
limerickguy

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider74 View Post
The greyhound track is going ahead,they have the roof structure
up now...........as for the city now the decay seems to be increasing
which is a pity . Henry street looks good now but parts of
O Connell st.,William st.Catherine st are shabby looking now.
liddy st and the old dunnes site is like a ghost town, that street only serves as a short cut, no shops at all there!
limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #22
spider74
ireland

Likes (Received): 11

shame indeed.

cool old pic way before housing estates...most of the
city centre here, which is pretty big for back then...

spider74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #23
limerickguy

mad the difference now, that area north of the river is completely developed!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

also the city centre back then could have been on par with even cork, very big, also it reminds me of something you would see in new york with the building style, very like queens!

Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:18 PM   #24
spider74
ireland

Likes (Received): 11

if you look in the old pic you can see a pitch and a stand where
Thomond park is today.
Im working in Dell for two weeks in the old building
and things have really changed there.The metal detectors and scanners
are gone now....which brings the next question,I heard the Polish plant
has closed down due to serious theft..so they say.Here in Limerick the
new Dell building is up for sale and the rumour is that an Asian company
has been looking around.Anyone know is there truth to that as its a
massive plant.
spider74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #25
henry hill

Likes (Received): 134

'

henry hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:03 AM   #26
Golazo Mendez
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

It looks like a beautiful place Limerick; I went to Ireland a few months ago, but in Dublin they told me that it was very very unsafe and with highs levels of crime in the city.

Now I realize that I should not heed those "warnings".

I would like to know if that recommendations were true or false.

I am from Costa Rica and let me tell you have a very nice and beautiful country, full of nice and helpfull people. Just let me know if comming to this side of the world: mi casa es su casa!
Golazo Mendez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM   #27
limerickguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golazo Mendez View Post
It looks like a beautiful place Limerick; I went to Ireland a few months ago, but in Dublin they told me that it was very very unsafe and with highs levels of crime in the city.

Now I realize that I should not heed those "warnings".

I would like to know if that recommendations were true or false.

I am from Costa Rica and let me tell you have a very nice and beautiful country, full of nice and helpfull people. Just let me know if comming to this side of the world: mi casa es su casa!
So your telling me that you took advice of a person from dublin (population 1.3million), not to come to limerick (100,000), because its unsafe?! Dublin has the highest levels of crime in the country, Limerick is a fantastic place to visit, as is every other place in the country, the people are really nice..a bit of advice, go where you want to go and dont let other people tell you where as you will regret when you find out these places are actually nice!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #28
Golazo Mendez
BANNED

Yes, I feel like a dumb. I never use to give power those comments "advising" to not go to a country or a city.

Infact, I felt very very confortable and safe in Dublin, which is a charming and beautiful city. Also its inhabitants.

I hope to go back to Ireland and visit this beautiful town of Limerick!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerickguy View Post
So your telling me that you took advice of a person from dublin (population 1.3million), not to come to limerick (100,000), because its unsafe?! Dublin has the highest levels of crime in the country, Limerick is a fantastic place to visit, as is every other place in the country, the people are really nice..a bit of advice, go where you want to go and dont let other people tell you where as you will regret when you find out these places are actually nice!
Golazo Mendez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #29
thebig C

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerickguy View Post
You are spot on. Limerick unfortunately does have its problems but thje vast majority in the City never experience any crime. I kind of agree with your sentiments as I live in Tallaght, despite, never suffering from crime personally, I get niggling remarks all the time!

Anywho, back to the thread. Thanks to the poster above for the b&w photo. Its amazing how small Limerick actually was back then!
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #30
limerickguy

Back on track again, Limerick has reopened its milk market under a huge canvas cover (tallest in the country at 80feet).

By the way its supposed to be lob sided for the wind!
image hosted on flickr

they are also improving the path across the river here outside clohessys to improve the river walk

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.archiseek.com/content/sho...?t=7820&page=2

Last edited by limerickguy; June 24th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #31
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 26

What's hapenning with the Sarsfield street (the bit that's under reconstruction), is it going to be pedestrianized when all the works will be finished(which seem to be a few days away)?

Also, what's happening at the station?, for the last few weeks, the place where the buses stop has a construction site type wall built, does anybody know?
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #32
limerickguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapter View Post
What's hapenning with the Sarsfield street (the bit that's under reconstruction), is it going to be pedestrianized when all the works will be finished(which seem to be a few days away)?

Also, what's happening at the station?, for the last few weeks, the place where the buses stop has a construction site type wall built, does anybody know?
Not sure on both of the questions, i think sarsfield st was just re done to make the place nicer looking, as for the station, i havent been up that way in ages! It seems like there is a good amount of activity going on in the city, all be it small, its work none the less..christmass tree is being put into the shannon as we speak!
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #33
John-Dory

Last edited by John-Dory; November 30th, 2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Sorry wrong forum
John-Dory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #34
limerickguy

Limerick likes to do things tall, so..i present to you Irelands tallest christmas tree standing over 100 feet tall

watch the size of the man under the tree!
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #35
Rapter
Advanced

Great picture

By the way, does anybody know, what's happening in Ennis road, across the street from Osborne's Pharmacy, the construction site looks quite big
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #36
limerickguy

Thats the JFK primary school, its being extended and/or refurbished

http://blog.unearthore.com/2010/09/4...m-primary.html

There is some amount of Projects going on out in the University of Limerick at the moment; seems to be a jobs mecca at the moment

€11 million building contract signed for Industrial Enterprise Centre at UL

Pictured are: Mr Ger Ronayne, Director, JJ Rhatigan & Co, Mr Padraic Rhatigan, Director, J.J. Rhatigan & Co, Professor Don Barry, UL President, Mr Robert Reidy, Director Buildings & Estates, UL, John Field, Director of Finance, UL.

€11 million building contract signed for Industrial Enterprise Centre at UL

Project estimated to create 80 construction related jobs in Limerick

Contracts were signed today for the construction of a new €11 million building on the University of Limerick campus. The new building will house the University's new Industrial Enterprise Centre (IEC), which will provide an incubation space and support services for potential start up companies as well as Lero, the Irish software engineering research centre led by UL.

The total footprint of the four storey development is 3,550 sq metres or about 37,000 sq feet and building work is expected to be completed in December 2010. The main construction contract has been awarded to Galway based contractor, JJ Rhatigan and Co Ltd. Design team for the project include RKD Architects, Thomas Garland and Partners Consulting Engineers, Homan O'Brien and Associates building services engineers, O'Reilly Hyland Tierney Associates quantity surveyors and Kerin Contract Management project managers.

This project has been supported through funding from Enterprise Ireland and the Higher Education Authority. The Industrial Enterprise Centre has also been kindly supported by Dan Tierney and the Tierney Family.

Contracts signed on Development of North Bank Sports Pitches and Pavilion Building at UL

Pictured L-R: John Field, UL Director of Finance; Professor Don Barry, UL President, Steven McGee, Contracts Manager, JSL Group Contractors, Sean Stewart, Managing Director, JSL Group Contractors and Robert Reidy, Director of Buildings and Estates at UL.

50 construction jobs have been created as a result of the contract signing today for the development of state of the art, all weather sports pitches and a Sports Pavilion Building of the North campus of the University of Limerick. The development, which includes a full sized GAA pitch, two soccer pitches and a rugby pitch, all fully floodlit, is due for completion in September 2011 in time for the 2011/2012 academic year. The Pavilion Building comprises changing rooms, squad rooms, coaching rooms, together with bar, restaurant and conference facilities. The development will cost €9m, which will be funded from a number of sources including income raised from the operation of the facility and from funding generated from campus based commercial activities.

The University of Limerick has a proud tradition of providing excellent sports facilities for its students, staff and the wider community. The University Arena, with Ireland's first Olympic sized pool, a boathouse with Ireland's only indoor powered rowing tank, an outdoor all weather athletic facilities and numerous field sports pitches are just some of the facilities available.

Some of the newest buildings under planning stages and construction

LERO/IEC Building
Size: 3550m2
Completion: May 2011
Architect: RKD Architects

Medical School
Size: 4295m2
Completion: March 2011
Architect: Grafton Architects

Medical School Accommodation
Size: 3563m2
Completion: December 2010
Architect: Grafton Architects

Health Science Building
Re-roofing
Completion: October 2010
Design & Build
Contractor: PJ Hegarty

North Bank Sports Pavilion and Pitches
Size: 1810m2
Completion: Sept 2011
Architect: Project Architects

New Product Design Centre
Size: 1043m2
Completion: September 2010
Architect: KOBW

Physical Education & Sports Science Building Refurbishment
Size: 1200m2
Completion: Planning Stage
Architect: KOBW

Clinical Education and Research Centre (at Mid Western Regional Hospital)
Size: 2580m2
Completion: Planning Stage

Library Phase II
Size: 6602m2
Completion: Design & Build Tender Stage

Last edited by limerickguy; December 14th, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #37
Rapter
Advanced

Something is going on in Coonagh Cross parking lot, yesterday I saw some machinery, and there is also a big wall surrounding the site, I think it's the petrol station that Tesco was promising to build
Old May 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #38
limerickguy

just giving this a revamp, anyone have any news on up and coming developments? william st is starting to take shape now
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #39
limerickguy

Some updated from the Medical School in the University, following the completion i believe the Mid West Regional Hospital (currently 2nd busiest A&E in the country) is to be renamed to Limerick University Hospital;

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Also the new sports pavillion built
image hosted on flickr

In other news Limerick City Council bought the Opera Shopping Centre Site and land back around the end of 2011 and the project is set to begin in may.

The move to sell the site for the proposed €300 million Opera Centre comes only weeks after the Danish bank NIB reached agreement with an Indian-born developer, Suneil Sharama, for him to take control of a partially built shopping centre along the Dublin Road on the outskirts of Limerick city. Liam Carroll’s Zoe Group abandoned the 15-acre site for the Parkway Valley shopping centre about four years ago when its business collapsed. Local planners are now expected to allow an extension of time on the planning permission for the 39,650sq m (426,792sq ft) retail complex.

Coincidentally, the new promoter for that scheme, Mr Sharma, who is based in the North, is more familiar with the site for the Opera centre than anyone else – having quietly assembled the inner-city quarter along with another investor, Sam Morrison, over a number of years before selling it for an astronomical price to Regeneration Developments.

Limerick city planners granted planning approval for the Opera Centre in the hope that it might help to shift the balance back in favour of the city, which has been in serious decline for many years following the indiscriminate development of more than half a dozen shopping centres in the county-council areas adjoining the city boundary.

Footfall in the city centre has dropped dramatically in recent years as big-name overseas traders opted for out-of-town locations, leaving only three high-profile stores (Penney’s, Brown Thomas and Debenhams) with a broad appeal to city shoppers.

Many of the city’s once-thriving retail streets, including Patrick Street, William Street and the modern Cruises Street, have lost both traders and shoppers. Limerick is the only city in Ireland where rents in out-of-town shopping centres are almost twice as high as those in the city.

Much of the decline in city-centre trading is due to the way the county planners allowed the Crescent shopping centre to grow like Topsy. That trend was finally scuppered last year when An Bord Pleanála overruled the county planners and refused the Dublin-based owners (the Kenny family) permission for yet another major store with a floor area of 9,754 sq m (105,000 sq ft) for Marks Spencer.

The new Government’s recent decision to amalgamate the two local authorities is set to change future planning in the city and county. With Marks Spencer still to decide where to open its first Limerick store, Parkway Valley and whoever acquires the Opera site will both be pitching for the UK multiple as an anchor.

One developer who may take another look at the Opera site is Michael Tiernan, whose Arthur’s Quay shopping centre on the opposite side of Patrick Street has become quite dated. However, if linked up with the proposed new shopping complex it has the potential to turn around the city’s fortunes.

Just to show you the size of the area it goes back a few blocks in the direction of this photo, all that block on the right hand side

Plan of site, i believe it is to be 5 floors too
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #40
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Looks good.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: