daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 12th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #81
Insert username here

Likes (Received): 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybus View Post
Are the bus time indicators in Limerick & Dublin correct or are they just digital readings of the paper timetables? I know the Luas indicators are very accurate, whereas last month the Belfast bus indicators tried to convince me that two invisible buses had arrived. Had I believed them I would have waited for 45 minutes. Sadly these false bus indicators seem to be the norm in Britain but if it was up to me I'd turn them off because lying to customers does more harm than good.
No they're not digital readings of the paper timetables, they're real time info and usually accurate to the minute. I use them every day.

Sure there are a few "ghost buses" here and there but they're very rare.
Insert username here no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #82
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 935

Since limerickguy appears to be taking a break from the site, I thought I'd post about this new development in Limerick city. 34 new homes in Moyross have been occupied today by people from the area. It's the first new development in Limerick Re-generation which is positive. Before it was mainly concerned with demolishing sub-standard houses, now some new houses are being built and people are getting fresh starts in their own neighbourhood.

Some of the new housing in Moyross, Limerick Link.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #83
thebig C

Likes (Received): 323

Thanks buddy. When did Limerickguy last post...theres so few of US its a shame to lose people. I think we still have rapter downb that direction though
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #84
limerickguy

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Thanks buddy. When did Limerickguy last post...theres so few of US its a shame to lose people. I think we still have rapter downb that direction though
Hey guys! nice to see im being missed! I moved to Perth in oz so wouldn't be fully up to date on whats going on, good to see physical progress with the regeneration!
limerickguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #85
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerickguy View Post
Hey guys! nice to see im being missed! I moved to Perth in oz so wouldn't be fully up to date on whats going on, good to see physical progress with the regeneration!
LOL....rumours of your demise were greatly exagerated

Hope all is going well in Oz!!
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #86
Rapter
Advanced

Likes (Received): 26

Great to see such projects in Limerick going on now.

To Limerickguy: Your information about Limerick was always the best, I hope you'll have a great life in Oz

And as for me, since my college year is over (placement), I now live with my parents in Ennis again, so when I'll be heading to Limerick next time, I'll try to upload some development progress photos, that are going on now
Rapter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #87
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
You moved to Oz?

Best of luck down there mate. To many of us are going down there. Soon there will be more Irish down there then up here.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #88
Dvblvnia

Some not so positive news about Limerick. It would be a shame if this place couldn't be open for Limerick's term as Irish City of Culture link.
Old February 27th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #89
limerickguy

haha aw thanks guys! ya theres loads of us here! we definitely need more irish on this site!
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #90
JD47

Is there much going on down there Limerickguy? I know obviously there is a boom but is it noticeable all the construction activity down there?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:31 AM   #91
limerickguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Is there much going on down there Limerickguy? I know obviously there is a boom but is it noticeable all the construction activity down there?
Ah ya, you can tell the economy is flooded with money, very like Dublin in the boom..cranes around every corner. Apparently this is their quiet period too! Perth in particular is only experiencing its boom now so its the fastest growing in oz, other cities like Melbourne and Sydney had their boom at an earlier stage.

To give you an example just off the top of my head with projects..

Their building a development on the waterfront consisting of 10 skyscrapers, marina shops ect..valued at 2.6 BILLION!

Their building a new childrens hospital
Their building another hospital somewhere else
Their building a 33 story building downtown
Their building a 60,000 stadium
Their redeveloping another stadium
Loads and loads and loads going on here, I could be all day

heres a video of that waterfront development..absolutely unreal to be living in a place here theres so much going on!

Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:08 PM   #92
JD47

Its sad to think that we get an erection now if we see one tiny crane on the Dublin skyline. How far we have fallen
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:08 PM   #93
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
Ah ya, you can tell the economy is flooded with money, very like Dublin in the boom..cranes around every corner.
Perhaps it's time for the alarm bells. I have thought for some time Australia displays a lot of the characteristics of the property boom here. I'd be wary over the next few years. Soft landings don't happen as we have seen.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:45 PM   #94
Insert username here

Likes (Received): 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
Its sad to think that we get an erection now if we see one tiny crane on the Dublin skyline. How far we have fallen
It's very sad indeed. Even worse when you realise it's an abandoned site and you feel like it was all too premature
Insert username here no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:04 AM   #95
limerickguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Perhaps it's time for the alarm bells. I have thought for some time Australia displays a lot of the characteristics of the property boom here. I'd be wary over the next few years. Soft landings don't happen as we have seen.
True but with Perth it's economy is still very solid with the mining industry so once that slows up it would be an indicator but at the moment they are expecting the cities population to double by 2050!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #96
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Indeed, much of Australias Wealth is based on mining and comodities.......they are very prone cyclical booms and busts!
Old March 10th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #97
Dvblvnia

Some positive news about Limerick. The opening of the Opera Centre in this format should give the city centre a boost in footfall and revenues. The application for funds could also finance the development of facilities for Limerick's tenure as Irish City of Culture. link
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #98
limerickguy

More good news for developments in Limerick..including bringing an extra 1000 city centre residents

Seven sites identified for revamp in Limerick city

The O'Connell Monument , one of seven sites earmarked for a major revamp in the city

By Nick Rabbitts
Published on 26/03/2013 13:00

SEVEN key sites in the city are due for a massive facelift as part of multi-million euro plans to transform Limerick.

In ambitious proposals due to be released in the next month, Limerick City and County Council will also outline plans to increase the urban population by 1,000 people by retrofitting Georgian buildings to make family living possible in them.

Environment Minister Phil Hogan will be in Limerick next month to officially launch the GVA Economic Plan, hailed as the most ambitious redevelopment plan in Limerick’s recent history.

But councillors have already been given an outline of what is in the proposals, and the Limerick Chronicle has established some of the key points in the 15 year plan.

In a bid to entice people into Limerick’s ailing city centre, seven sites have been identified for renewal.

These are the Opera Centre area, the railway station area, Arthur’s Quay, the O’Connell Monument area, Cruises Street, the Potato Market site, and the riverside.

Much of the regeneration plan will be focused on the Opera Centre site, which has lain vacant for more than five years, with the Limerick Institute of Technology to open a fashion hub in two units, and UL eyeing up other parts of the site.

But there are also exciting plans for other parts of the city.

A city square is being planned for the area around the O’Connell Monument at the Crescent.

Meanwhile, in an attempt to improve the perception for tourists arriving into Colbert station, the council is in negotiations with Irish Rail to relocate the car park away from the interchange, and build a raised public plaza there with street furniture, and lighting.

This in turn will lead to a revamp of Davis Street.

Once one of the city’s busiest shopping streets, a renewed focus is to be put on bringing shoppers back to Cruises Street.

This could see the units of some of the closed shops amalgamated, and tax incentives put in place to bring in bigger retailers.

The plan will also put a strong focus on the riverside area, with a pedestrianised area stretching from King John’s Castle to Arthur’s Quay.

With government approval, this could also see the demolition and relocation of Sarsfield House, home to hundreds of public sector workers, although it is thought this is at a very early stage.

The vacant Dunnes Stores in Sarsfield Street will, subject to funding, be home to a museum or library.

Roadworks are already taking place in Howley’s Quay in order to build public walkways.

The successful boardwalk installed on Clancy Strand will be the inspiration for a similar facility on the southside, which could connect as far as Shannon Bridge.

At least some of the redevelopment of the city - planned to take place over 15 years - will be facilitated by a loan from Europe known as the JESSICA fund.

This stands for Joint European Support for Sustainable Investment in City Areas. Available from the European Investment Bank, it makes capital available for certain types of projects which would have economic return, such as office developments, retail developments, public works, pedestrianised schemes, and enterprise parks.

It has never before been used here, but the British government has taken advantage of the fund, which can be worth up to €200m.

It is attractive to city management, because as the money comes back into the fund from businesses paying it back, it can then be redeployed to other projects, before a final payment is due.
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #99
enobarbus

Likes (Received): 505

Typical bullshit. The last plan to revamp the city was random pockets of repaving and pedestrianization. Maybe they should finish that first?

odlum833 liked this post
enobarbus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #100
Dvblvnia

1,000 is also a very conservative number for the new residents they want to attract. Having looked at the AIRO population density maps for Limerick city, I'd say an additional 5,000 could easily be accommodated in the city centre area of Limerick. That would be a big stimulus to city centre businesses by increasing footfall by 20 to 30% as these new people walk to and from home thus increasing the chance of incidental purchases.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: