daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #181
N830MH

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
UCP leader Kenney wary about potential Calgary Olympic bid
Calgary Herald Excerpt
Nov 24, 2017

United Conservative Party Leader Jason Kenney is also leery about a Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics.

Calgary city council says it needs the support of the provincial and federal governments to move forward on a potential bid — and wants an answer by the end of the year.

Premier Rachel Notley struck a cautious note earlier this week, saying the NDP government had to wade through “conflicting information” to determine whether there would be a benefit to hosting the Olympics in Calgary.

Kenney — who is currently running for the Calgary-Lougheed legislature seat — said Friday he would also reserve judgment on an Olympic bid.

“Everybody in principle would love to have the Olympics. But nobody wants a fiscal boondoggle,” he said in an interview following his address to the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association.

“I think very often the economic benefits of these things are overstated.”

The Calgary Bid Exploration Committee estimates that hosting the Olympics would carry a $4.6-billion price tag, offset by revenue of $2.2 billion, plus associated economic benefits. That would require $1.2 billion in funding from the federal government and another $1.2 billion from the province and other potential funders.

“We want to be very careful and deliberative about this issue because it has huge implications,” said Kenney, who earlier this year opposed an Olympic bid as he ran for the Progressive Conservative leadership.

“I think we have to look at all the information available and make a hard-headed decision about it, partly because the province is broke.”

Council moved ahead on the Olympic bid this week only after a controversy arose over internal reports questioning the economic spinoff from hosting the Games, as Calgary had done previously in 1988.
Isn't that one movies of Cool Runnings? Jamaica teams who went to Calgary over 3 decades ago. They actual flew from Jamaica to US and then to Calgary, Canada. I knows they play for bobsled teams.

Last edited by N830MH; November 30th, 2017 at 12:03 AM.
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #182
chmoma2
nothing special

Likes (Received): 218

yes against, East Germany, US, USSR and all others.
and they copied the swiss slang at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpNko_237a8

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Isn't that one movies of Cool Runnings? Jamaica teams who went to Calgary over 3 decades ago. They actual flew from Jamaica to US and then to Calgary, Canada. I knows they play for bobsled teams.

Last edited by chmoma2; November 30th, 2017 at 12:14 AM.
chmoma2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:39 PM   #183
ElvisBC

Likes (Received): 266

Just realized there is ski jumping worldcup this weekend in Nizhny Tagil Now I even know where the city is!! Not that it is going to happen, but I am absolutely in favor of Winter Olympics there

sevenap liked this post
ElvisBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 10:11 AM   #184
sevenap
BANNED

Likes (Received): 154

sevenap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #185
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Olympic field trip to PyeongChang 2018 a 'ridiculous' waste of city money: councillor
The City of Calgary is footing the bill for several politicians and bureaucrats to travel to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games
Dec. 11, 2017
Metro Excerpt

It's a pretty big field trip and Coun. Joe Magliocca is wondering why two provincial ministers aren't paying their own way to South Korea.

On Thursday, Calgary's offer to take provincial leaders to the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics went public and now Deputy Premier Sarah Hoffman and Ricardo Miranda, Minister of Culture and Tourism, are dusting off their sports memorabilia to take a trip on the city's dime.

"I was very disappointed to read that Calgary taxpayers are going to be footing the bill of the provincial NDP health minister, culture minister attending the 2018 Olympics in South Korea – as well as the mayor and other bureaucrats," asked Magliocca.

"Why wasn't council made aware of this ridiculous waste of money?"

Although Premier Rachel Notley said their fact-finding mission isn't a nod in the direction of a 2026 Olympic bid, Mayor Naheed Nenshi was optimistic when he spoke Thursday.

"It's a pretty good signal, but I have not yet had final confirmation," he said.
Magliocca asked if this trip would include first-class tickets and a five-star hotel for the diligent fact finders.

More : http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...-of-money.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #186
fidalgo
the mitty

Likes (Received): 26508

there goes the public support for Calgary down the drain
fidalgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #187
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisBC View Post
Just realized there is ski jumping worldcup this weekend in Nizhny Tagil Now I even know where the city is!! Not that it is going to happen, but I am absolutely in favor of Winter Olympics there
Other than the Ski Jump facility, what else does Nizhny Tagil offer that makes it a potential Winter Olympic host city in 2026. I can agree that it could possibly hold all Nordic events, but what about Alpine events? Is there a nearby mountain that is tall enough to hold the Downhill event?
Is there a chance that a city of that size could plausibly have the required number of hotel rooms required for a Games of this era (Post 2000).
What about the indoor ice events - a city needs enough indoor facilities to cater for Ice Hockey, Figure Skating and Curling and I doubt Nizhny Tagil could offer the number of required arenas considering it's size and population, without a large number of white elephants resulting.
If a Downhill venue is a possibility, then wouldn't the better option be to have Yekaterinburg (130 km away) as the bidding city with better venue options for the Opening/Closing Ceremony, indoor ice events and hotel rooms.
Despite all of this, I highly doubt Nizhny Tagil's chances in an international race with potential bids from Sapporo, Calgary, Sion, Salt Lake City or Denver.
Sportsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #188
Sochifan
Stop Russophobia

Likes (Received): 54

IOC has basically painted itself into a corner. None of these European cities can get the support to host it.

So this is why Canada is now in the running. But its possible Canada can't get support either. Even if they did agree to host it this would then take them out of the running for upcoming Summer games.

The next few Olympics are in Asia and its horrible time zone. So its hard to give an Olympics to Asia anytime soon.

They pissed of Kazakhstan by giving 2022 to China when it should have gone to Kzakhstan. So why would Kazakhstan have any desire to bid now when they couldn't win a two man race for the event against a country that got an Olympics recently.

They won't give an Olympics to Russia anytime soon because it would piss off the Russophobic nuts that fund them. Even though Russia is one of the few countries that has the funding and support to host both Winter and Summer games.
Sochifan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 12:24 AM   #189
Paolo98.To
Toret Proud User

Likes (Received): 3301

Some rumors of a possible candidature from Turin

Turin - Mole Antonelliana dal Monte dei Cappuccini by Iggi Falcon, su Flickr

The breakthrough came on the 15th of October when the inhabitants of Innsbruck, Austria, rejected the proposal to organize the 2026 Winter Games. Stockholm too has stepped aside. This was the moment in which the candidacy of Turin, cultivated in great secret by the mayors of the villages of the Olympic valleys, took shape. The first who officially launched the idea was Maurizio Beria, mayor of "Sauze di Cesana", but was the Chamber of Commerce that took charge of the dossier. For now, the Municipality and the Region, although informed of the initiative, are waiting for a feasibility study to be carried out. Vincenzo Ilotte, president of the Chamber, is optimistic because from "an initial verification we can say that the project is economically sustainable and can bring important consequences in the mountains and in the city".

The idea is to re-use the existing structures, on which maintenance has been made and is currently undergoing thanks to the funds of the "Olympic treasure", a heritage of the 2006 Games. "This - Ilotte said - would allow us to significantly reduce costs for sports facilities. It would also no longer be necessary to build the mobility infrastructures already constructed in 2006. These Olympic Games can be done by investing less than half the costs of 20 years ago, let's say a lot less than a billion. In the coming weeks, we will work to better define for each sports facility the possibilities of reuse and the possible costs to bear." To carry out this project, however, Turin's involvement is necessary. The mayor, Chiara Appendino, denied the existence of an Olympic dossier, also to keep her political party, the "5 Star Movement", together, where there are people in favor of this candidature and many others against it. Ilotte does not hide the problems, that's why he is working above all to link the Olympics to the transformation of Turin highlighting "the positive effects from the redevelopment of large unused urban spaces, such as barracks, to build villages for athletes. Accommodations that could then be converted into residences for university students".

http://www.lastampa.it/2017/12/31/cr...xM/pagina.html
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:11 AM   #190
garciaccaio

Likes (Received): 12321

Another Olympic Village in Turin? To become a poor unsafe and dirty neighborhood for illegal immigrants?

No, thanks.

And Appendino probably would refuse this idea. Some time ago she announced that the City of Turin wouldn't help with the cost of maintenance of the Olympic Stadium anymore.

In addition, if I am not wrong, there is a rule that the host of the IOC Session can't submit a bid. The 134th IOC Session in September 2019 will be held in Milan, and in this session it will be elect the host of the 2026 Winter Games. Then, if I am right, the CONI (Italian Olympic Comitee) can't submit a bid for the 2026 Winter Games.

Quote:
Milan, Italy

The president of the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) Giovanni Malago proposed in June 2017 a bid for Milan to host the 2026 Winter Olympics. Malago considered Milan together with Valtellina suitable. Milan was planned to host ice sports while Bormio, Santa Caterina di Valfurva and Livigno are already today well-known destinations for snow sports, from Alpine skiing to snowboarding, cross-country skiing to biathlon.[33][34] However, there has currently been no further information on Milan's 2026 bid. Milan will also host the 134th IOC Session in 2019, during which the host city of the 2026 Winter Olympics will be awarded. Because of this, IOC regulations state that no bid from a country or city is allowed when the IOC session is in the same country or the same city.

Aosta, Italy

... The Aosta bid was cancelled when was announced that the city of Milan will be the host city of the 134th IOC Session to decide the host city, and IOC regulations state that no bid from a country is allowed when the IOC session is in the same country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_Winter_Olympics

Last edited by garciaccaio; January 2nd, 2018 at 04:34 AM.
garciaccaio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:45 PM   #191
ElvisBC

I still think Sion will get this one easily! I am not even sure there will be one serious opposing candidate down the line. One heres about Stockholm and Calgary but I have to see them bid first!

OK, sorry, forgot about Nizhny Tagil
Old January 4th, 2018, 07:51 AM   #192
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciaccaio View Post
Another Olympic Village in Turin? To become a poor unsafe and dirty neighborhood for illegal immigrants?

No, thanks.

And Appendino probably would refuse this idea. Some time ago she announced that the City of Turin wouldn't help with the cost of maintenance of the Olympic Stadium anymore.

In addition, if I am not wrong, there is a rule that the host of the IOC Session can't submit a bid. The 134th IOC Session in September 2019 will be held in Milan, and in this session it will be elect the host of the 2026 Winter Games. Then, if I am right, the CONI (Italian Olympic Comitee) can't submit a bid for the 2026 Winter Games.
In addition, after the luge/bobsled track was closed down due to non-use; and they will bid once again? Are they crazy? Might as well give it to Sarajevo if that were the case.

garciaccaio liked this post
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 01:37 PM   #193
ElvisBC

with salt lake city set to bid for 2030, it all looks like europe in 2026
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:00 AM   #194
garciaccaio

Likes (Received): 12321

Sion 2026 right now:

Old January 11th, 2018, 01:46 PM   #195
Sochifan
Stop Russophobia

Likes (Received): 54

Will believe it when I see it.
Sochifan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 03:34 AM   #196
N830MH

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisBC View Post
with salt lake city set to bid for 2030, it all looks like europe in 2026
I don't know about that. We will see what happens. If they go to Salt Lake City or not. It's up to them. They already went to SLC 2002 Olympics over decade and half ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciaccaio View Post
There is correct. Too many problems. Too many illegal immigrants came to Europe. They don't have documents, passport and a few other things, as well. They should be deported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sochifan View Post
Will believe it when I see it.
Please keep us posted. We want to hear that. They will choose.
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote