daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 14th, 2018, 03:41 PM   #881
M60

Likes (Received): 961

Cycling today along the Oxford Road and Great Clowes Street bike paths! Good fun and a great ride.

I’d be interested to hear about any improvements which could be carried out between Fallowfield and Withington but otherwise great stuff!

half_empty, Maxants liked this post
M60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:09 AM   #882
Maxants

Likes (Received): 627

When did the Great Clowes Street stuff happen? Never heard much about that. Good route to have done - but given the river path from castle Irwell is SO AMAZING on a nice day, I would probs only use Great Clowes Street if it was closed due to flooding or summat.

(I've seen kingfishers down here!)

urbnist liked this post
Maxants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #883
M60

Likes (Received): 961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxants View Post
When did the Great Clowes Street stuff happen? Never heard much about that. Good route to have done - but given the river path from castle Irwell is SO AMAZING on a nice day, I would probs only use Great Clowes Street if it was closed due to flooding or summat.

(I've seen kingfishers down here!)
It's been completed for more than a year.

When travelling between Prestwich and the City Centre Bury New Road isn't bad for a main road on the way into Manchester, due to no on-street parking, few side roads, wide bus lanes with infrequent buses and a downhill gradient all the way.

Uphill there's one lane for all traffic between Broughton Lane and Great Cheetham Street and the gradient is tough! Great Clowes Street is a fantastic alternative for this. Really top notch infrastructure, with dutch style markings showing the continuation of the cycle way across the road junctions.

Maxants liked this post
M60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:31 PM   #884
pixiepie

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60 View Post
It's been completed for more than a year.

When travelling between Prestwich and the City Centre Bury New Road isn't bad for a main road on the way into Manchester, due to no on-street parking, few side roads, wide bus lanes with infrequent buses and a downhill gradient all the way.

Uphill there's one lane for all traffic between Broughton Lane and Great Cheetham Street and the gradient is tough! Great Clowes Street is a fantastic alternative for this. Really top notch infrastructure, with dutch style markings showing the continuation of the cycle way across the road junctions.
More info on TfGM's website here: https://tfgm.com/cycling/routes/broughton-cycleway

It was Salford's main Cycle City Ambition Grant 1 scheme and is the longest light segregation scheme in the country.

M60 liked this post
pixiepie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 04:11 PM   #885
alr1970

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepie View Post
More info on TfGM's website here: https://tfgm.com/cycling/routes/broughton-cycleway

It was Salford's main Cycle City Ambition Grant 1 scheme and is the longest light segregation scheme in the country.
Back in November, the council were seeking feedback on this scheme, as some problems have been reported.

Quote:
For anyone who uses, has used or would like to use the Broughton Cycleway between Chapel Street and Great Cheetham Street West in Salford, Salford City Council are requesting feedback on the scheme from the perspective of key conflict points and incidents that have occurred. In our experience these include:
1) Poor/deteriorating surface of the Cycleway
2) Effectiveness of light segregation?
3) Dangerous junctions
4) Bus stops within the Cycleway
5) Poor conditions for people joining the Cycleway at either end.
We've added a few photos that highlight these points.
Please also share with anyone you know who cycles around that area. You are invited to submit your comments, photos and or videos in a form of your choice to [email protected]
alr1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 12:52 PM   #886
guy debord

Likes (Received): 480

On why “be safe, be seen” is nonsense

https://bangingonaboutbikes.wordpres...n-is-nonsense/

Cherguevara liked this post
guy debord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 02:52 PM   #887
Farsight

Likes (Received): 750

It isn't nonsense. Being visible can make all the difference between being involved in an accident and not being involved in an accident.

Is there an actual video for that article? Being involved in 5 incidents in a mile sounds unusual. That's about one incident a minute. It doesn't match what I see on the roads. Yes, cyclists are certainly the victims of careless drivers, but I have to say most of the incidents walking to work and back I see are caused by the cyclist not wanting to slow down. I saw one incident last night. A car turning right stopped to let a van out from the right. The van was turning right. As the van was coming out a cyclist undertook the car on the inside at speed, alarming the van driver who stomped on the brakes. He nearly got T-boned himself.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #888
matt1

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
It isn't nonsense. Being visible can make all the difference between being involved in an accident and not being involved in an accident.

Is there an actual video for that article? Being involved in 5 incidents in a mile sounds unusual. That's about one incident a minute. It doesn't match what I see on the roads. Yes, cyclists are certainly the victims of careless drivers, but I have to say most of the incidents walking to work and back I see are caused by the cyclist not wanting to slow down. I saw one incident last night. A car turning right stopped to let a van out from the right. The van was turning right. As the van was coming out a cyclist undertook the car on the inside at speed, alarming the van driver who stomped on the brakes. He nearly got T-boned himself.
That doesn't make any sense?
matt1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #889
matt1

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy debord View Post

Hilarious how a lot of the comments are along the lines of "well if it saves one life"

Funny how concerned drivers are for cyclists safety, until it comes to overtaking appropriately....
matt1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #890
Farsight

Likes (Received): 750

Of course they're concerned for cyclists' safety. Drivers don't want to see somebody get hurt or even killed. And even if some nutter really didn't care about the cyclist, they would care about all the inconvenience. IMHO the people who aren't sufficiently concerned about safety are the cyclists who take too many risks by running red lights and undertaking.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #891
guy debord

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
That doesn't make any sense?
Matt. Do not feed!

urbnist liked this post
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #892
guy debord

Quote:

Here's his follow up post which sadly pretty much sums up the entire discourse around cycling as transportation...

https://bangingonaboutbikes.wordpres...-when-it-does/
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM   #893
marni1971

Likes (Received): 2710

Be seen, be safe. Surely doing everything you can to help being seen would help yourself too.

Last edited by marni1971; Yesterday at 08:55 PM.
marni1971 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 AM   #894
LM93

Likes (Received): 67

Velocity 2025 | The General Greater Manchester Cycling Thread

Quote:
Here's his follow up post which sadly pretty much sums up the entire discourse around cycling as transportation...

https://bangingonaboutbikes.wordpres...-when-it-does/

Afraid I agree with Marni, this isn’t a case of hi vis doesn’t help, it’s more poor driving. I have a few cyclists go past me on the way to work (bit like a yo-yo) and the hi vis as well as the lights help massively. What this is bad driving, problem is people aren’t taught where and where not to overtake cyclists, and some people have no common sense and situations like this arise.

Personally this is the reason I won’t ride my bike to work, not until I can get there without going on the road which unfortunately I don’t think is going to happen any time soon.

Last edited by LM93; Today at 12:32 AM.
LM93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:48 AM   #895
guy debord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM93 View Post
Afraid I agree with Marni, this isn’t a case of hi vis doesn’t help, it’s more poor driving. I have a few cyclists go past me on the way to work (bit like a yo-yo) and the hi vis as well as the lights help massively. What this is bad driving, problem is people aren’t taught where and where not to overtake cyclists, and some people have no common sense and situations like this arise.

Personally this is the reason I won’t ride my bike to work, not until I can get there without going on the road which unfortunately I don’t think is going to happen any time soon.
You're agreeing with the quoted post that says that the problem is the poor standard of driving. It goes on to say that hi Vis wearing makes no discernible difference on the experience of cyclists (as evidenced in the photographs that led to the post being written). The cyclist was visible but cut up regardless.

It is not legally required for cyclists to wear hi Vis, it is ultimately counterproductive to do so as it makes cycling look like some kind of dangerous sport instead of a convenient way to get around. This reduces cyclists numbers and increased numbers of cyclists is one thing that can demonstrably improve conditions for cycling. (Same goes for polystyrene hats)

As a driver I've never found it hard to spot a cyclist who wasn't in hi Vis.

Drivers who find it tricky to see people riding bikes if they're not wearing fluorescent clothes are incapable and shouldn't be in charge of a motor vehicle.

Last edited by guy debord; Today at 02:34 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: