SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Retail in Greater Birmingham

3M views 22K replies 423 participants last post by  sefton66 
#1 ·
I went back to Brum yesterday and found the city centre in a sorry state, with vacant units absolutely everywhere - three and a half years after the Bull Ring opened.

Everyone expected the Bull Ring effect, but things were supposed to have 'settled down' by now. And yet Martineau Place, Bull Street, Corporation Street - even the bit of New Street by the Bull Ring (Mexx didn't last long) all appear to be suffering. Even in the Bull Ring itself, the former Nike store remains unlet and there are other vacant units in the mall.

Great Western Arcade is, as always, only half-let and forlorn as usual. Shops on Corporation Street that ought to be full of people on a Saturday afternoon, such as House of Fraser and Urban Outfitters, were quiet. I didn't even venture to the The Mailbox, but I dread to think how busy (i.e. not busy) that would have been.

So what the cluck is going on? The theory was that landlords would have to lower rents across the rest of the city core once the Bull Ring was opened, and that independents would fill the newly-vacated units. This hasn't happened - not even one bit.

And yet, more retail space is planned - in the form of Martineau Galleries - when it manifestly isn't needed!

See less See more
#121 ·
Hi MT & welcome :wave:

All indicators seem to be that John Lewis will anchor MG, but as it is a while off yet, I doubt whether we'll hear anything this year.

As for the bad vibes, I am inclined to agree, but these forums are not advertisements for our cities and we would be deceiving ourselves if we didn't talk about the bad stuff, what is wrong and what isn't improving quick enough. Some cities would have you believe that everything is amazing there (until you visit it of course, and then realise that there is good and bad everywhere!).

For the record, I do think the thread title should become "Birmingham Retail" as the first post can provoke the debate, and as threads always do, it can then wander off- or around- subject. At the moment it is just setting up and arguement (no offence Bel - I think you make many valid points) :)

#122 · (Edited)
Style Birmingham - No. 1 English shopping destination?

Lets keep this thread for everything retail, food, shopping etc...

For those that haven't seen this site, check it out:

http://www.stylebirmingham.com/?page_id=678

In 2004, 2005 and 2006 the city was named the second best place to shop in England after the West End of London and I think it is fair to say we are building on that fact... (Taken from CACI survey on retail footprint)

Expedia now ranks the city amongst the top best destinations in England

http://www.expedia.co.uk/destinations/UK and Ireland.aspx

We have the largest most successful clothes and style exhibition in the UK:

http://www.clothesshowlive.com/

Well I am sure someone will list some of the more exclusive INDEPENDENT shops in the city... there are many small independent clothes shops off New Street such as Atoo and Dissorder who actually design and make their own clothes range and export to places such as New York and London.

We have the largest independent online dance music store in Europe (possibly the world) with http://www.htfr.com/

With other long established record shops such as Tempest, Swordfish, Punch, Old School, Jibbering and various other second hand stores.

We are extremely lucky to have stores such as Harvey Nichols (which is expanding)

Selfridges which is one of the most photographed buildings in the UK

The Bull Ring.. love it or loathe it, it is currently going from strength to strength with last Xmas breaking the records, so many iconic names setting up there.

Custard Factory.. units now all taken hence the building complex is now expanding to cater for the demand in studios and shops.

Mailbox, still in the process of realising it's full potential but still busy and home to some great designer names.

We have Victorian New Street and Corporation Street full of mixed outlets.

We have a musicians area with shops such as Music Control and various other small independents close by in Snow Hill.

If you are looking for Jewellery then the famous Jewellery Quarter is still the largest concentration of dedicated jewellers in Europe, and one third of the jewellery manufactured in the UK is made within one mile of Birmingham city centre.

If it's cars you're after then why not buy a quality Birmingham made Jaguar from a dealership or maybe a Lamborghini or Bentley http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Lamborghini_doubles_UK_dealership_representation maybe a Porsche? http://www.carpages.co.uk/go.asp?session=2@7@32510@1267890@56 or Ferrari?

Eating has never been better with two Michelin Starred restaurants and more to come I am sure with Cube and Arena Central... we have an unrivalled Balti triangle for Indian cuisine (albeit scruffy in places).

Here's just a few famous brands we now have in the city :)

Adidas Aga Rayburn Agent Provocateur Alexander McQueen Animal Apple Aquascutum Armani Armani Jeans autograph Base Ben Sherman Benetton Betty Barclay Betty Jackson.Black Boots Bruni Burberry Butterfly by Matthew Williamson Camper Cartier Cavalli Chanel Chipie Chloe Christian Dior Chunk Citizens of Humanity Corpa Nova Crew Cross D&G Diane von Furstenburg Diesel Dior Dirk Bikkembergs DKNY Doc Martens Dollbaby Dries Van Noten Dunlop Elle elvis jesus Emin Emporio Armani Escada Sport Evisu Fake Genius Fat Face FCUK Fendi Fired Earth Firetrap for all mankind Formes maternity Fred Perry Free People French Connection Freud Full Circle Gina Givenchy Gucci Hackett Henri Lloyd Henry Lloyd Hugo Boss Hulanicki Hummel Ingvar J by Jasper Conran Jaeger Jenny Packam Jesire Jiki Jmmy Choo Jo Malone Joaquin John Smedley Joseph Joseph Ribkoff Juicy Julien MacDonald Junk De Luxe Kenzo Kiely Lacoste Lacoste Sport Lee Levis Limeys Own Label Little Darlings Lux Mackintosh Maharishi Manolo Matthew Williamson mawi Miss Sixty Missoni Mont Blanc Moschino muji Nike Nolita Office Oliver Sweeney Ollie and Nic Omega Paul Smith Pearce II Fionda Penguin per una Peter Worth Police Polo Ralph Lauren Prada Prada Sport Pretty Originals. Puma Rare Rayban Reebok Reed Reiss Replay Roberto Cavalli Rocha.John Rocha Rockport Rolex Ronit Zilkha Sisley Skechers Stone Island Storm Tag Heuer Ted Baker Teddy Smith Thomas Pink Timberland Tom Wolf Tommy Hilfiger Ugg Versace Vivienne Westwood Wale Adeyemi Wheels & Doll Baby Wrangler Yanuk YSL

#124 ·
Which places have you spent money in recently?

I have mostly been spending money recently in..

La Tasca (twice in last few months)
Thai Orchid
Eat (Brindley Place, New Street and Bullring)
Hard To Find Records
Swordfish Records
Autograph & AToo (same place?)
Billabong (Bullring)
Selfridges
TK Max superstore
Dissorder Clothing

#126 ·
The Jack Jones store opening was a good move for Brum. I like there stuff as it's manages to be casual yet actually have some style to it.

#127 ·
Hi All, thought I'd finally take the plunge and participate, even though I have joined for a couple of months.

I agree with EK on this, as when you go onto the Manc or Leeds Forums there is no "dissapointing"/negative terms on their retail threads.

Any news on whether it's going to be a definite with John Lewis and Martineau Galleries?

I think that Harvey Nichols should also have a restaurant/bar/brasserie in one of the adjacent vacant units in addition to its 33% expansion to bring it in more line with other cities.
Welcome Moseley Town. Nice part of the city you hail from. Not sure if you are aware but Harvey Nics already has a cafe/bar but it;s slightly tucked away because of the complete lack of space the shop has. Frankly even with the 35% increase it will still be small. +35% of not a lot is still not a lot more.
Shame really as they would be a really good anchor if it was say double the size and over 2 floors.

#128 ·
The title of this thread is utterly pathetic..

:goodbye:
Why not start a new thread called "Birmingham Retail" eventually this one will die and everyones happy. :)

#129 ·
I think that Digbeth should be the focus for small arty independent shops, the Custard Factory itself houses an interesting array of studios and shops, and could easily be the epicentre for a new Bohemian area in an old industrial part of the city, the addition of the Irish heritage here could be an added bonus.

#132 ·
It's amazing just how much larger Birmingham's central retail area can be. Once Martineau Galleries is complete, we should consolidate on our second placed position in the CACI rankings-hopefully with a massive John Lewis :)

We just need more street level upmarket shops such as Gant, Vivienne Westwood, Penhaligons around the Cannon Street/New Street area to fill up the vacant units there.

Whilst the Mailbox looks fantastic at night when you drive along the Suffolk Queensway; does anyone think that there should be a glazed roof in between the "two buildings" for practical reasons? I appreciate that it was originally intended to be a street within a building, but it does get freezing during the winter months and it also rains! Or should it be left as it is?

#134 ·
I think that Digbeth should be the focus for small arty independent shops, the Custard Factory itself houses an interesting array of studios and shops, and could easily be the epicentre for a new Bohemian area in an old industrial part of the city, the addition of the Irish heritage here could be an added bonus.
We need the Wholesale Markets replaced and soon.. that will open up Digbeth tp the city centre as i have said it before and will keep saying it until it happens.

#135 ·
Which places have you spent money in recently?
Ted Baker- New wedding suit, would have been from Selfridges but the guy couldn't be arsed to look for my size:bash:

Med Bar- (Custard factory) Seem to live in there lately:cheers:

The Oriental- (mailbox) beautiful Malaysin food, great setting too.

Strada- (Mailbox) love it.

Harvey Nics- Bought some lovely wine from their food area.

Swordfish records

HMV

Animal- Pallasades/Bullring link

#137 ·
well I guess they feature Stratford which in Manchester terms could be part of Greater Birmingham :lol:
I have recently checked out Birmingham in Visit Britain Guides in Paris Bookstores and in the Guide Routard 2007 The City of Birmingham has 10 pages, London has 14. It explains that Birmingham is transforming at such a rapid pace that probably any reliable guide needs to be updated every 3 months. Along with all usual places and shops that we all know it does say something that I have never seen mentioned on the threads. <Birmingham has managed to create a shopping centre that is a perfect continuation of the High Street, incorporating a church and then leads into the Market area and Chinese Quarter making it a wonderful mix where in Selfriges a dress can cost a fortune but 2 minutes away you can buy a length of material for few pounds and make your own.> According to Guide Routard <it is the only City in Europe that has been able to combine the elegance of Selfridges with a real market so seemlessly.> It finds the steets very clean, People are very helpful and there is not the indifference in Birmingham that is often found in London shops. Just for fun I checked on that rival of yours, well Manchester has 2 pages and it draws the conclusion that there is not a great deal of interest for the foreign tourist in the old northern mill town.

#138 ·
We need the Wholesale Markets replaced and soon.. that will open up Digbeth tp the city centre as i have said it before and will keep saying it until it happens.
mmm.. kind of agree with you, but also appreciate the point that Mathieu has raised, personally, I remember the old Bullring and I think the markets seem to be slightly cut off from the rest of the development, in fact I struggle to place the re housed markets, I know the building, trouble is.. if this were to be moved where would it go? I think it needs better advertising, I still reckon info pods situated around the city would be a good idea.. you could pay for a print out of the city's offerings with a map :)

#139 ·
I have recently checked out Birmingham in Visit Britain Guides in Paris Bookstores and in the Guide Routard 2007 The City of Birmingham has 10 pages, London has 14. It explains that Birmingham is transforming at such a rapid pace that probably any reliable guide needs to be updated every 3 months. Along with all usual places and shops that we all know it does say something that I have never seen mentioned on the threads. <Birmingham has managed to create a shopping centre that is a perfect continuation of the High Street, incorporating a church and then leads into the Market area and Chinese Quarter making it a wonderful mix where in Selfriges a dress can cost a fortune but 2 minutes away you can buy a length of material for few pounds and make your own.> According to Guide Routard <it is the only City in Europe that has been able to combine the elegance of Selfridges with a real market so seemlessly.> It finds the steets very clean, People are very helpful and there is not the indifference in Birmingham that is often found in London shops. Just for fun I checked on that rival of yours, well Manchester has 2 pages and it draws the conclusion that there is not a great deal of interest for the foreign tourist in the old northern mill town.
isn't there a poster on the BBC forum that keeps harpin on about the "old northern mill town" all the time... sorry just an observation :) you've been rumbled.

#140 ·
I'm nodding my head in agreement so vigourously here, I fear I may induce some kind of haemorrhage.