daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area > Transportation and Infrastructure

Transportation and Infrastructure Discuss mass transit, roads, bridges, airports, water management, etc here.

View Poll Results: What do you think about law enforcement raising fees for traffic fines?
It's too much to handle 1 20.00%
It's just about right and about time 3 60.00%
They're not doing enough 0 0%
Other opinion (please post) 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #1
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 576

Increase in traffic fines...

This thread will house any notices of traffic fine increases. I've also posted a poll as to what you think about increases in fees for traffic fines.

Fines for going 50 mph+ over speed limit going up
Tuesday, September 30, 2008

BAY NEWS 9 -- New fines take effect in Florida Wednesday for drivers going more than 50 miles an hour over the speed limit.

Those drivers could also find themselves in court.

Under the new law, the first offense would cost the speeder $1,000 and the second offense $2,500, along with the loss of their driver's license for a year.

The third offense is a felony, with a possible $5,000 price tag, along with the chance of the speeder losing his or her license for 10 years.

Another law that will take effect Wednesday is aimed at motorcyclists who perform stunts on the road. After the third offense, bikers who violate the new law could face a maximum prison term of five years.

Dr. Delay blog about the new fines, and more

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...limit+going+up
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 1st, 2008, 02:18 AM   #2
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

Likes (Received): 15

You generally only see that kind of speed in two places, on the bridges during street racing on Friday and Saturday nights and in residential neighborhoods during after school hours. Both situations endanger lots of people and especially kids in the second case. So F'em in my opinion.

The other thing that bugs me is people who race through parking lots and then drive slow on the streets. Like getting through the Publix lot in a hurry, and then driving 35 in a 40 is normal. Generally I hate speed bumbs but it seems people just don't get the whole context thing and need to be reminded that people walk through parking lots too.
DShenise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:00 PM   #3
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

People still speed over the speed bumps on my street like there's no tomorrow. These people are simply being ignorant. They know the bumps are there, but they continue to outright ignore the speed limit.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:10 PM   #4
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

People just don't use common sense. If you are in a residential neighborhood, slow the hell down, kids might run out. I can't tell you the number of times I'd see people blasting down Hills Ave in Tampa, and its a narrow residential street in Hyde Park. Personally I think $1000 for over 50 is fine, I'd throw in $1000 for 20 over on a street with existing limits of 25 and under.
DShenise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM   #5
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

I see
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #6
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

State bill adds extra fine onto some traffic violations
Friday, April 10, 2009

TALLAHASSEE (Bay News 9) -- A bill up for debate in the state legislature would tack additional fines onto certain traffic violations.

Under the bill, anyone caught racing, driving recklessly or failing to stop for a school bus would pay an additional $65 on top of the base fine. The extra money would go to hospital trauma centers.

Currently anyone caught racing is fined $500, passing a stopped school bus is a minimum of $100 and the fine for reckless driving is $65.

The state estimates the proposed hikes could raise as much as $400,000 a year.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...fic+violations
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #7
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 353

No argument about that. Not even enough for what these people do. Putting lives in danger is far more costly than $500+.
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #8
DShenise
Designer, 1404designs

They just added a "super speeder" fine in GA, over 85mph anywhere and its an extra $200 on top of the existing fine. Since enough Floridians pass through GA, thought you all should know. Its easy to get up past 85 in most cars.
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #9
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Makes sense, since you have idiots like Nick Boliea zooming around...

Can you believe Cali finally gave him his license? Good grief!