search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #1841
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 8617

Interesting, as the news story I saw last night (on Nine News I assume, as it was different to this one), said that no decision had yet been made, and that a Logan site was still a possibility at this stage.

They even pointed out the block of land in Logan where it might go, but did so in a way that made it hard to work out exactly where it was. I'm thinking it was either Slacks Creek near IKEA, or down towards the Logan River in Loganholme.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #1842
fish.01

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbatim9 View Post
A Development Application going in for Costco @ Bundamba; Via Ipswich City Council and an expected opening date mid 2018.

https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/st...741864960?s=09
Oh crap, just as far as North Lakes. Their original target, Metrolpex at Wacol, seemed a better location. Wish they could have one that was closer than 25-30 minutes from the CBD.
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 11:45 PM   #1843
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3005

I think this is systematic of the fact the only areas that are really slated for urban intensification are old industrial areas or nearby.
This massively increases the costs and makes it highly unlikely to get a Melbourne situation (where Costco set up in Docklands) due to the extra land costs.

The only places I could think of were Hamilton North shore/Airport, Salisbury/Moorooka or an old Masters store on a bigger block of land, like in Everton Park.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 02:23 AM   #1844
jonwil

Likes (Received): 730

I still say Logan would be a far better location (in terms of the amount of people who would come through the doors) than Bundamba.
My guess is that whatever suitable land is available in Logan is just too expensive to make it work for Costco.
jonwil está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #1845
KJBrissy

However they may be considering a Logan and/or Gold Coast store anyway. I'm sure this won't be their last store in SEQ.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”

nathandavid88 liked this post
Old July 19th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #1846
fish.01

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
...or an old Masters store on a bigger block of land, like in Everton Park.
stop teasing...

KJBrissy liked this post
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM   #1847
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 472

Yep Melbourne has had an inner city Costco for years, we have to drive out into the sticks.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM   #1848
KJBrissy

Land costs. It wouldn't surprise me if Melbourne City Council has more transitional industrial land available than Brisbane City Council. And considering the size comparison of the two cities, that's very significant.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #1849
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 8617

Costco was just lucky that their introduction coincided with the redevelopment of Docklands. Had the area already been done, they likely wouldn't have got such a prime spot.

michael_n_ liked this post
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #1850
KJBrissy

Agree, however there are still many nearby locations available in the inner 5km.

Tags
extension, redevelopment, shopping