SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | 3 Hudson Boulevard | 301m | 987ft | 56 fl | On Hold

479K views 1K replies 281 participants last post by  MarshallKnight 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2020 Revision:

Look inside 3 Hudson Boulevard, Hudson Yards’ next office tower

_______

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Hudson Boulevard

Construction Start: 2015 Q2 - 2018
Height: 316m | 1037ft

New York, NY

3 Hudson Boulevard's Sky Club, Possible Condos Revealed

We knew that the 1,000-foot skyscraper called 3 Hudson Boulevard, planned for Eleventh Avenue between 34th and 35th streets, was going to be glassy, twisty, and super-dee-duper green. After an announcement today, we've got more renderings (!), plus we know it'll cost $800-900 million to build, that commercial tenants on the lower floors will be asked to pay $85/square foot to lease the space, that six-story high LED screens on two sides will flash occupants' branding or art installations at the street level, and that the roof will hold a two-floor "sky club" complete with swimming pool, greenery and foliage, terraces, event spaces, meeting rooms, and areas for dining, drinking, and lounging. Most importantly (to us at least), the Moinian Group's 3 Hudson Boulevard could pose a bit of friendly competition to big-name sky-high residential properties like One57 and 432 Park—because condos are slated to occupy 300,000 square feet on floors 49 through 63, with a dedicated elevator bank and other amenities and unit sizes TBD. Be warned: if an eager company is willing to plunk down a bunch of dough for more office space, then the condos might not happen.

It's all designed by Dan Kaplan of FXFOWLE, the architecture firm behind West 15th Street's 35XV, which is also glassy and tapered and full of condos... but quite a bit shorter. The building is aiming for a LEED Platinum certification, the highest rating in the buzzing orbit of green construction. Construction is estimated to start late next year or in 2015, with a move-in date of 2017.
Moar renders:

See less See more
#11 ·
How do you say that?

In addition to the Empire State Building, there are two buildings under construction whose roofs -- not spires -- exceed 1,300 feet (i.e., WTC 1 and 2), one building whose roof exceeds 1,150 feet (i.e., WTC 3), one whose roof exceeds 1,000 feet (i.e., WTC 4), and one whose roof is about 950 feet (i.e., B of A). In addition, the Chrysler's roof -- not the spire -- is about 950 feet, and the roofs on 40 Wall and 80 Pine Exceed 900 feet.

Moreover, several 1,000+ foot buildings are planned around Penn Station and MSG.

#9 ·
At first glance I thought there may be a subtle homage to WTC, then the bird's eye view made me think of the Times.

Given how ambitious this project is, I think they should be asked to go back to the drawing board and come up with something truly iconic. If it was 700 feet, I'd say it's a nice additon. But at the proposed height, it will contribute to how we all see NYC in the future... so let's do better.

#12 ·
Apparently, this building has been planned for quite some time.

From the NY Post's November 9, 2005 edition:

By LOIS WEISS
November 9, 2005

Joseph Moinian is another West Side fan who is putting his money where his mouth is.

We hear Moinian contracted to buy yet another Verizon building on the east side of 11th Ave. opposite Javits.

This is one of the area's four super corners, where sources say he intends to construct a soaring, 1.5 million-foot mixed-use tower that will include retail, hotel, offices and residences.

The 47,000-foot site at 555 W. 34th St. is next door to his Infinity Court apartments.

David Noonan and Jimmy Kuhn of Newmark handled the brokerage, just as they did for Moinian's Verizon purchase on 11th Ave. between 42nd and 43rd Streets.

Moinian is working there on a design for another 1.5 million square footer, next to the Costas Kondylis-designed apartment building he bought as plans from Jules Demchik and which is currently rising skyward.

Copyright 2005 NYP Holdings, Inc.

#22 ·
Wow, I never even saw this one coming. Keep the supertalls coming. We'll easily have well over a dozen standing in a few years. And this design is very sleek; it will go great with that area because a lot of newer skyscrapers are going up there. I say this one looks like around 1,200 to the roof.

#24 ·
The GiraSole

New York, NY
Client: The Moinian Group
Completion: 2011

Situated in the heart of Manhattans newest neighborhood, the dynamic Hudson Yards District, 3 Hudson Boulevard, "The GiraSole" will be a gateway for the West Side and an icon of green architecture for the 21st Century. From its sky gardens to the reaches of the new Hudson Boulevard Park, this new 1.6 million square foot tower will be surrounded by green. Soaring to a height of over a thousand feet, it will offer unparalleled views south and west over Hudson River Park, the High Line and the new park and development of the Hudson Rail Yards. A solar power-generating tower, "The GiraSole" will set a new standard for mixed use development by uniting premium corporate offices and the most exclusive residences with the state of the art in environmentally sustainable design. The project is on track for LEED Platinum certification.
Is that the NY times tower on the very left? If so then this buildings is pretty big

#28 ·
This new Midtown west site will be bigger in terms of square footage, density and the proposed roof heights... than the WTC site. There is still a ninth ave. tower that has yet to be announced along with the MSG towers and hotel penn tower. Isn't there also a Javitz hotel tower?? I'm really losing track of these developments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.