SkyscraperCity Forum banner

RUSSIA | Railways

1M views 3K replies 322 participants last post by  Aokromes 
#1 ·
here is currently show of new Russian rolling stock in SPb.

Here is few photos from the show taken by Tolya from Transport in Russia forum.

show opening

maps of upgrading of lines.
SPb - Moscow: 3:55, 200kmph, ER200, 2006
SPb - Moscow: 3:41, 250kmph, RUS 250/330, 2009
SPb - Moscow: perspective (separate HSR line), 330kmph (350kmph), RUS 250/330
SPb - Helsinki: 3:20, Pendolino (but afaik not finally decided), 2009
Moscow - Lower Novgorod: 3:20, 160kmph, RUS 250/330 (dual-system), 2010
Mosocw - Kazan': 10:30, 140kmph, EP10, 2006
Mosocw - Minsk: 7:30, 140kmph, EP10, 2006
Mosocw - Adler (Sochi): 140kmph, EP10, 2008
Mosocw - Kiev: 140kmph, EP10, 2006

common view

Two sectional freight electric (dc) loco 2ES4K
For replacement of old VL10 and VL11.
Designed speed: 120kmph
Hour-long regime: 50kmph
Power of hour-long regime: at least 6200 kWt
full info (in russian)
http://b.foto.radikal.ru/0608/c54554d1dfb7.jpg

Two sectional freight electric (ac) loco 2ES5K with booster section, aka Ermak
Design for using with trains in 6000-6500 tones in Siberia and Far East.
Designed speed: 110kmph
Hour-long regime: 49.9kmph
Power of hour-long regime: 10000 kWt
full info (in russian)
http://b.foto.radikal.ru/0608/1c93d6e87aa7.jpg

Two sectional main line diesel loco 2TE25A, aka Vityaz [Knight]
Designed speed: 120kmph
full info (in russian)
http://foto.radikal.ru/f.aspx?b060868732bd17e68jpg

Two sectional main line diesel loco 2TE25K, aka Peresvet

Shunting diesel loco TEM18DM
Power: 882,3 kWt
full info (in russian)
http://b.foto.radikal.ru/0608/0602c2d1d215.jpg

Passenger electric (ac) loco EP1M
Designed speed: 140kmph
full info (in russian)
http://d.foto.radikal.ru/0608/bfd2962d44fb.jpg

Passenger electric (dual system) loco EP10
Designed speed: 160kmph
full info (in russian)
http://d.foto.radikal.ru/0608/09e5c8bba55e.jpg

Passenger electric (dc) loco EP2K and EP2A
Designed speed: 160kmph
full info (in russian)
http://d.foto.radikal.ru/0608/f27e7830c410.jpg

New ED4 EMU modification - ED4MKM
For suburban expresses and intercity service. May be even usual suburban local train (with different interior of course)
Designed speed: 130kmph (160kmph may be in future)
full info (in russian)
http://d.foto.radikal.ru/0608/acec0d2cc94c.jpg

3rd class

2nd class

1st class

RUS 250/330 (Velaro Rus)
Yet full scale model
will be dual-system and dc versions
Original designed speed: 250kmph
full info (in russian)
http://d.foto.radikal.ru/0608/31e871a528f3.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all ... Why in that map that shows the railway network Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania is still like a part of Russia (just like Belarus, Ukraine)???

Then ... Those trains are just visually new ... the technology is the same as before 20 years (to my mind) ...

And finaly ... something new from the most popular and the best Railway coach factory in the Soviet union (which built the first high speed train in Soviet union - ER200) - Riga

DR1B ... As I remember Belarus has the first train and has ordered some more

#3 ·
that is nice, they will have new trains.
but take a look a this map. lol

there are all capitals of the neighburs states where these trains should run, except of Warsaw. it's sorrowful and sad and a bit ridiculously... Putin had always some kind of problem with Poland.

#4 ·
more like you have kind of problem with russia. this map was designed dozens of years ago in soviet times. no plans for balts of course. plans for belarus and ukraine there for well known reason i think. berlin simply is main spot on this line outside of the map.

@Hybrid 87
these are not 20 years old technologies. that times there was no computers and so much electronics in trains..

#5 ·
I didn't mean those tv etc in the passenger coaches ... but ok ... don't know exatcly what's the techonologies in those (european design look-a-like) locomotives ...

I have no problems with russia, just with some russians here in latvia who have the idea that "Latvia belongs to Russia" ... and ok if they don't have the money to make a new map then let them use an old map

#7 ·
Hybrid 87 said:
I didn't mean those tv etc in the passenger coaches ... but ok ... don't know exatcly what's the techonologies in those (european design look-a-like) locomotives ...
i don't mean those tv etc in the passenger coaches, but computers and tones of other electronics in loco control.

#9 · (Edited)
Hybrid 87 said:
DR1B ... As I remember Belarus has the first train and has ordered some more
well. we have new DMUs in russia as well.
here is from 90's (no dmu project in 00's)

RA-1 (81-730)
http://www.tmholding.ru/main/catalog/products/3980/4046/4064

RA-1 (81-731)
http://www.tmholding.ru/main/catalog/products/3980/4046/4062

RA-B (81-731.25)
http://www.tmholding.ru/main/catalog/products/3980/4046/4062

RA-2 (81-750)
http://www.tmholding.ru/main/catalog/products/3980/4046/4109

#10 ·
Hybrid 87 said:
ok ok ... I haven't seen the new loco cockpits ... just since the max speed of the trains is still "only" 120 - 130 km/h thought that not much has changed ...
locos of course faster. as of suburban train - we have average distance between station in 3km in moscow and spb networks and up to 7km in the rest of russia. so there is no need for trains with fast acceleration. of course EMUs for 160kmph are in plans. but you see the problem. as i heard there is dilema with 160kmph EMUs over the world. Or you have designed speed in 120kmph - very stable, or 160kmph very unstable - these are not able to drive at full speed long time.

#11 ·
coth said:
more like you have kind of problem with russia. this map was designed dozens of years ago in soviet times. no plans for balts of course.
Dangerous generalisation. I'd rather say that our governments have problems with each other. If you look closer on the map ypu can see Baltic states and the Ukraine in slightly different colour. The unity of russian rail tracks and post-soviet countries I could explain with the same rail gauge (1525 mm) oppposed to european one (1435 mm). Yet it would be nice to place Warsaw on map :) BTW Nice trains!

#17 ·
^^
Yes!

coth said:
not at all. designs are very successful.

and can you explain - "too long faces"?
The front ends look to long somehow, like eggs. Exept for EP10, that has a more traditional design. The 2TE25K looks sad, like it's going to cry. With the 2ES4K they have tried to copy German designed loco's like the Bombadier Traxx and the Siemens ES64F4 (they are simple but look good). With the others they tried to make very square locos look more round, wich doesn't work IMO. And maybe it has something to do that I miss the buffers on these trains, again exept for the EP10.

I like the shunter and the EP10, the more traditional looking trains.

#19 ·
I think you one of those who does not accept anything modern.
Indeed EP10 looks outdated, while all other looks very modern and very successful.
No similarity between 2ES4K and Bombadier Traxx and the Siemens ES64F4 at all... No egg effect as well. No even long faces.
I think you mean high faces. But i think it's result of higher platforms in Russia.
Also. Powerful faces looks definitely better for powerful locos.

#20 ·
Nice trains, but some of them look old from the outside...
:sly:
Russian Velaro is similar to Spanish Velaro, by Siemens.
:eek:

#21 ·
Some trains seems to have still some soviet look, but some are damn good looking.

Hybrid 87 said:
First of all ... Why in that map that shows the railway network Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania is still like a part of Russia (just like Belarus, Ukraine)???
I think it just shows the countries that can be reached from Russia by train easily because the Russian 1524 gauge.

Btw. This tiny "article" is from Swedish "Metro" newspapers:

It basically says: "3 hours. The new train which is planned by Finland and Russia would operate so quickly between Helsinki and St. Petersburg. Today the same trip takes 5,5 hours."

Do you know something about this project, coth? Seems like that ICE train will be used in Russia's internal traffic though.

#22 ·
coth said:
I think you one of those who does not accept anything modern.
Indeed EP10 looks outdated, while all other looks very modern and very successful.
No similarity between 2ES4K and Bombadier Traxx and the Siemens ES64F4 at all... No egg effect as well. No even long faces.
I think you mean high faces. But i think it's result of higher platforms in Russia.
Also. Powerful faces looks definitely better for powerful locos.
I love modern trains, but not these, the same goes for for some new Chinese trains. They just haven't got that something special that makes other trains beautiful. For example the Swiss Re 460 build by ABB (now Bombadier) and SLM and the Flirt build by Stadler Rail. The Siemens ES64U2 Taurus design is also very good, all these trains have German, Swiss or Italian designers and look much better. I understand that the Russian Railways don't have much money to spend, just look at the interior of the IC it's just very plain compared with the German version.

BTW, some powerfull loco's that look good!
~SBB Re 620 : one-hour power rating: 7.832 kW. Simple design, but it looks powerfull (my favorite).
~DB 103: one-hour power rating: 7.780 kW, maximum power rating: 10400 kW. Best loco design ever, period.

#23 ·
momochan said:
I love modern trains, but not these, the same goes for for some new Chinese trains. They just haven't got that something special that makes other trains beautiful. For example the Swiss Re 460 build by ABB (now Bombadier) and SLM and the Flirt build by Stadler Rail. The Siemens ES64U2 Taurus design is also very good, all these trains have German, Swiss or Italian designers and look much better. I understand that the Russian Railways don't have much money to spend, just look at the interior of the IC it's just very plain compared with the German version.
this is not a good design for loco. more like for emu... but not for loco.

momochan said:
BTW, some powerfull loco's that look good!
~SBB Re 620 : one-hour power rating: 7.832 kW. Simple design, but it looks powerfull (my favorite).
~DB 103: one-hour power rating: 7.780 kW, maximum power rating: 10400 kW. Best loco design ever, period.
oh come on - it's 60's...

#24 ·
Jape said:
Some trains seems to have still some soviet look, but some are damn good looking.

I think it just shows the countries that can be reached from Russia by train easily because the Russian 1524 gauge.

Btw. This tiny "article" is from Swedish "Metro" newspapers:

It basically says: "3 hours. The new train which is planned by Finland and Russia would operate so quickly between Helsinki and St. Petersburg. Today the same trip takes 5,5 hours."

Do you know something about this project, coth? Seems like that ICE train will be used in Russia's internal traffic though.
well, there is mention about it in my first post. pendolino is currently on tests on shcherbinka ring. rzd is going to build new freight line parallel to current. then current line will be upgraded. high speed service will be opened in 2009.

#25 ·
coth said:
this is not a good design for loco. more like for emu... but not for loco.
Come on, the 460 and the Taurus are the best looking modern locos right now. They have their own look that give them their own identity, unlike those new Russian locos.

coth said:
oh come on - it's 60's...
...70's, and they don't make that powerful locos anymore.

#26 ·
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/20/wrussia20.xml
By Adrian Blomfield in Moscow
Last Updated: 1:57am BST 20/04/2007

The Kremlin is considering reviving a 19th century dream of linking Russia and the United States by building the world's longest railway tunnel under the Bering Strait.

Government ministers will analyse a pre-feasibility study prepared by the Russian Academy of Sciences at a conference in Moscow next week. Despite its vast cost - estimated to be in the region of £32.5 billion - the project's authors are confident of securing the backing of both the Russian and the American governments.

"This is one of the very few projects that can cardinally change the development of Russia's far east," said Viktor Razbegin, the deputy head of research at the economy ministry. "The chance for the implementation now is pretty good."

Mr Razbegin claimed that in 1998 the United States, Russia and Canada were close to a deal when it had to be abandoned because of the rouble crash.

In fact, there have been many proposals to link eastern Russia and Alaska.

In 1890, the governor of Colorado, William Gilpin, envisaged a bridge across the Bering Strait, an idea that was revived - and put to one side - in the 1940s.

It came up again in the 1960s as part of a massive project, which also included a bridge across the Strait of Gibraltar, to link five continents. The dreams were all stillborn, and it is not hard to see why. The Bering Strait is one of the world's most inhospitable locations.

Mr Razbegin's proposed 60-mile-long tunnel - which would surface twice on the Diomede islands halfway across the strait - is twice the length of the Channel tunnel. Yet that, in some ways, is the easy bit. The nearest major road to the tunnel's proposed Russian entry point, at Provideniya, is 1,000 miles away.

Alaska has no direct rail link to either Canada or the rest of the United States. This would mean building a 3,700 mile-long line between Yakutsk in Siberia and Fort Nelson in British Columbia.

Despite the obvious challenges, Mr Razbegin was upbeat yesterday.

"The trans-Siberian railway is 9,200 km [5,700 miles] and took Russia just seven years to build single handed," he said, estimating that the project would take about 12 years to complete.

According to the plans, the tunnel would carry both rail passengers and cargo. It would also carry electricity and fibre-optic cables, while an oil and gas pipeline could be laid, if the governments agreed.

It is unclear, however, who would fund the project. Thanks to booming oil prices and vastly improved energy production, the Russian government is much wealthier than it was during the economic turmoil of the late 1990s. A transport link would boost trade further.

There have been suggestions that the Kremlin could also seek financial support from Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea football club, who is governor of Chukotka, the remote region where the tunnel would begin.

But most analysts say it would be much harder to find American backers from the private sector willing to invest in so risky a project.