daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway > Oslo

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #1
mzungu

Likes (Received): 39

PROJECT | Regjeringskvartalet

Starting to recover from the shock of the terrible tragedy on Friday 22nd now. The pictures still haunt me.

What used to be the epicentre of political power in Norway, is now an empty, windowless concrete skeleton. Chances are, the whole thing will have to be demolished.

Olje- og Energidept might also be demaged beyond repair, so the whole area may soon start undergoing a radical change.

That means we'll soon be in for a vibrant debate: Whatever comes up where the old PM office tower still stands, is certainly not going to be any lower than the current building.

I therefore grab the opportunity to start that debate here in this forum!

For sure, there will be a competition to design the new Governement HQ complex. Due to the nature of this building, and to the fact that there are very few residential buildings in the immediate vicinity, NIMBYs are likely to make less noise about the height, than in other parts of Oslo. Also, the regulation process is likely to be a "statlig regulering", providing them with fewer opportunities to thwart a tall building!

For Oslo, this means a unique opportunity to come up with a memorial site, adjacent to a truly spectacular landmark building.
mzungu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #2
mzungu

Likes (Received): 39

Of course, most of these aspects are likely to be addressed in an architectural competition, where - hopefully - several spectacular alternatives will be on the table.

What I would LIKE to see, is something along these lines:

- Grubbegata is shut off for motorized vehicles. The section between Finansdepartementet and Deichmanske becomes integrated into a memorial square.
- The new building, or buildings, should be centered in the square between Grubbegata and Akergata, delimited by Deichmanske and the Ministry of Finance. Provided those 2 old buildings did not get damaged beyond repair, they should be given emphasized, visible positions in the new setting.
- Whether the new PM's office is one or several buildings, there should be at least one tower. Since this is probably THE opportunity to completely overrun NIMBYists, make it Scandinavia's tallest!
mzungu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #3
muster

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzungu View Post
For Oslo, this means a unique opportunity to come up with a memorial site, adjacent to a truly spectacular landmark building.
We don't know what will happend with the existing buildings yet. Probably they will be demolished( at least R4 I think), but it is not guaranteed that the departments still will be located in this area. If the highrise is demolished I'm not sure we will see a higher building in the future either. It could just as well be lower.
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 23

Hopefully something spectacular to show the world that Oslo is still strong.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #5
City of Rain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

A memorial would be a good idea. I also hope the building will be demolished and replaced with a true highrise.
City of Rain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Galro

Likes (Received): 3342

I don't want a misplaced highrise here. I'm not a fan of the '60s ideology of placing highrises everywhere in the city. We should rather concentrate them in one area (read= Vaterland). Especially not when the gov decide the design.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Galro

My wishes for the area:

Demolish the shitty lowrise. Use the orange area to create an iconic new lowrise with some park/memorial thing around. Remove the lid over Ring 1 and restore the square in front of Deichman/Hovedbrannstasjonen into their pre war glory.

Or alternatively: Ignore all cost, move all gov departments out of the city and demolish all of their buildings built after the war.
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #8
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Likes (Received): 185

I hope they rebuild Høyblokka as it used to look. I don't care that much for R4.
kjetilab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #9
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
My wishes for the area:

Demolish the shitty lowrise. Use the orange area to create an iconic new lowrise with some park/memorial thing around. Remove the lid over Ring 1 and restore the square in front of Deichman/Hovedbrannstasjonen into their pre war glory.

Or alternatively: Ignore all cost, move all gov departments out of the city and demolish all of their buildings built after the war.
Y-blokka isn't that damaged...

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #10
Galro

Sure, but I still want it demolished. This could be our opportunity to change all that is wrong with the current buildings. Y-blokka as it stands today have completely ruined Arne Garborgs Plass. We should also have some security concerns about the building being placed directly above a public road - meaning it would be very easy to place a car full of bombs there..
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #11
muster

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjetilab View Post
I hope they rebuild Høyblokka as it used to look. I don't care that much for R4.
Agree. Always liked Regjeringskvartalet, but I won't miss R4.
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:19 AM   #12
GlennHGSD

Likes (Received): 20

Been there myself, it's not as terrible as some want it to seem... I'd rather they rebuilt the highrise exactly like it is.
GlennHGSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #13
SMCD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Really? Move all of the government departments out of the city and reduce Oslo’s significance as a political power house and diminish that part of its identity? And move to where exactly – an office park in the suburbs? Removing thousands of people and jobs from the city center?

Regarding spreading of highrises I think it’s a good idea in Oslo to concentrate the tallest buildings around Oslo S/Vaterland to create a defined skyline and let the highrises function in collectiveness, but I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea to have single highrises in different parts of town. Contrasts are good in my opinion, and Oslo is definitely a city of contrasts. It’s not a planned masterpiece of urban space and a single style of architecture like Florence or the center of Paris, it’s a diverse and somewhat messy city, and I think we should emphasize that. The brutalist 50/60-architecture of some of the buildings in Regjeringskvartalet are certainly not easy on the eyes, but they are part of Oslo’s diversity and identity. So – if they can fix them – fix them. If they have to tear down the highrise, I would like for something modern to stand in its place – but I think it should be tall (taller). A slim modern tower for the Department of Justice and Prime Minister’s Office would be welcome. Anyways I hope they find the space to make a peaceful memorial park and maybe a center for multicultural tolerance, or something – something that can take advantage of the opportunity to contribute to the identity and unity of Oslo’s diverse inhabitants.
SMCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 176

Erling Viksjøs buildings are listed so they would be rebuilt i guess.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCD View Post
Really? Move all of the government departments out of the city and reduce Oslo’s significance as a political power house and diminish that part of its identity? And move to where exactly – an office park in the suburbs? Removing thousands of people and jobs from the city center?
I would rather have an less important city international (which to be honest I couldn't care less about) than a huge area of downtown almost completely sealed due to security reasons and with bland buildings like today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCD View Post
Regarding spreading of highrises I think it’s a good idea in Oslo to concentrate the tallest buildings around Oslo S/Vaterland to create a defined skyline and let the highrises function in collectiveness, but I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea to have single highrises in different parts of town. Contrasts are good in my opinion, and Oslo is definitely a city of contrasts. It’s not a planned masterpiece of urban space and a single style of architecture like Florence or the center of Paris, it’s a diverse and somewhat messy city, and I think we should emphasize that.
The city isn't a planed masterpiece precisely because we in the '60s decide to demolish historic buildings and replace them with halfassed highrises and plazas everywhere. There are actually very few places in the city that weren't originally built after a masterplan. Hamersborg originally had one for instance. We should take this opportunite to change the wrongdoings of the '60s for the better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Doubt it. We have no history of rebuilding listed buildings. The only times we done it have been because the locals have demanded it. I don't know a single person (outside of architects and Riksantikvaren) that like these buildings.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #16
SMCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
But how does it work if a listed building is ruined for whatever reason? Is the consensus to automatically rebuild it? And does the reason for it being ruined have any consequence? An argument for not rebuilding the WTC twin towers was that who would want to work in an exact copy of a building that had been the center piece for so much terror and human suffering, and that the buildings would be a constant reminder of the atrocities for the people of NYC. Not that the situation is the same in Oslo, for a lot of reasons, but I would think that this would at least be considered. Also – the historic value of a rebuilt copy wouldn’t exactly be equal to the original.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Galro

This is Hamersborgs masteplan from '30s:

The square pre gov:

From youngstorget pre gov:
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Mulefisk

Likes (Received): 49

Høyblokken was built in 1958 under AP rule and is effectively a symbol of everything ABB hated and wanted to destroy. Thats why the bomb was placed here.

What kind of message do we send if we finish the job for him and tear it down?

Our motto is: "If you can see the sun, you are probably not in Sandvika!"
Mulefisk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #19
Galro

Then we now can restart as a better and even stronger country and city? Should we keep everything that ABB hated?
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #20
SMCD

Quote:
I would rather have an less important city international (which to be honest I couldn't care less about) than a huge area of downtown almost completely sealed due to security reasons and with bland buildings like today.
Well, there is not just the international significance of Oslo – it’s just as much the national. Oslo has served as the seat of our national government for a long time and the terror attacks shouldn’t change that. A city’s importance is considered from a lot of different factors, but significant institutions contributes to the job market, residential market and tourism and I don’t share your apathy to the strategic importance of the placement of our main government. In relation to representation, the Prime Minister’s Office is also benefiting from the closeness to other important institutions in Oslo. I don’t think it would have to be sealed of either – although there probably will be an increase in guards and other security measures.

Quote:
The city isn't a planed masterpiece precisely because we in the '60s decide to demolish historic buildings and replace them with halfassed highrises and plazas everywhere. There are actually very few places in the city that weren't originally built after a masterplan. Hamersborg originally had one for instance. We should take this opportunite to change the wrongdoings of the '60s for the better.
I don’t agree with a lot of the urban developments and ideas of the 60s either, but that doesn’t make it insignificant. And – an ugly building can still be interesting, as I think is the case with Høyblokka. That there exist masterplans doesn’t make Oslo less chaotic, diverse, messy, and that’s the point – we have a culture of building a lot of different architecture styles in close proximity, although that is often forgotten when modern, different buildings are proposed with bold visions that a lot of people find “alien”.