daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Texas > Photos

Old September 6th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #1
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

Abilene Christian University - Abilene, TX

Founded in 1906, Student body of roughly 5,000 with more than 800 employees.

University Church of Christ at the end of Campus Court.

The Zona Luce Building - built in 1929 as one of the first buildings on the "new" campus. It was originally the school building for K-12 but is now home to the agriculture and environmental sciences department.

The Hardin Administration Building - built 1929

One of the larger trees on campus in the background with a new stone seating area in the foreground. On nice days, you can often find classes being taught here.

Sewell Auditorium - built in 1929 was the original home of daily chapel on campus. Chapel is still held daily, making ACU the largest organization in the US to do so. Every student is required to go 55 times per semester for every semester they are at the school.

Another view of University Church of Christ from the northeast.

McDonald Hall - the original 1929 boy's dormitory building now houses some freshman girls. It is the only dorm on campus with single-occupancy rooms. Being a wednesday night, most students are at church, making the campus rather desolate. (PS - who else hates the window AC units?)

Nelson Hall - built in the late 1950s and is now a freshman girls' dorm.

Gardner Hall - the largest of the freshman girls' halls, built in the early 1960s.

Sikes Hall - Built in the 1970s and completely renovated inside and out in 2007, this is home for some sophomore girls.

The Williams Performing Arts Center, built in 2003 as the home the the ACU fine arts department, including theater, voice and instrumental musicians. It contains a large band hall, choral hall, freeform theater, recital hall, large theater, massive glass atrium, a piano laboratory, several lounge areas, roughly 12 practice rooms, and large computer lab and dozens of faculty offices.

Texas, USA, ACU

The Onstead-Packer Bible Building, Chapel on the Hill, and the Tower of Light with the new ACU pond int he foreground.

The Williams Performing Arts Center from across the pond

It's beautiful in my opinion.

Not a great picture, but it's the only way I could get a shot of the entire pond to give it a sense of relativity.

The 150-foot Tower of Light (a bell tower)

Moody Coliseum - built in the late 1960s is home to ACU's basketball and volleyball teams as well as daily chapel which draws more than 5,000 people.

The Brown Library - built in the 1960s and expanded in the 70s and 80s. The ground floor is home to dozens of computers and a Starbucks in a very relaxed atmosphere which is great for study groups or reading or homework or whatever. It has truly revitalized the idea of a "library." The basement and top floors are still regular library floors filled with thousands upon thousands of books.

The GATA Fountain in the foreground, the McGlothlin Campus Center, and the Bible Building towers behind that.

The sunset on the drive back to the south side of town.
WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Geaux Tigers

Likes (Received): 0

Great pictures. I go out to Abilene pretty often for business, but I've never been to the campus of ACU.

-Gerald R. Ford
Geaux Tigers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 1

Good work, WestTexan87 The campus seems to have several nice buildings.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #4
RGV

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, a nice looking campus. I had a couple of friends from Abilene when I was at UT back in the mid-80's. Don't know whatever happened to them.
RGV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #5
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1109

The Church of Christ looks nice.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #6
a see you
conscientious objector

Likes (Received): 1

as my user name implies, I'm a graduate of ACU...haven't been back to campus for a while now, though. thanks for the great shots.
a see you no está en línea   Reply With Quote