daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 557

NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE Area - Any 'Rural Areas' around Hull that are NOT being covered on the Hull and Humber Forum

USING THIS COMMUNAL AREA OF THE NORTH EAST ENGLAND SUB-FORUM . . .

Recently, a thread has been set up in this 'communal area' of the forum, called "Northumberland Area Developments - Areas NOT covered on the Newcastle Forum"

That thread covers the areas in the 'extreme-West' and 'extreme-North' of the County of Northumberland.

Those areas have 'urban-development' issues, like any other area, but they are either not actually covered by the Newcastle Metro Area Forum (they are outwith the remit of that forum) or they are simply not easily covered on there, because they are not 'identifiable' with the Metropolitan Area.

I feel that there may well be a similar situation in certain areas of North Lincolnshire, where there are small developments and relevant issues for discussion, that do not readily fall to be covered by the Hull and Humber forum.

If so . . . they can be covered, and discussed, in this thread.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Likes (Received): 85

But Barton, Grimsby, Immingham and Scunthorpe are the only settlements that aren't small villages - and those places all come under Hull and Humber
legolamb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Former Library To Become Gymasium
By Hamst, Scunthorpe News.

The former Ashby Library building on Ashby High Street could be converted into a gymnasium if planning is given the go ahead by planners when they review the application in January.

Freaky’s, who run their current gymnasium above the Bed Ahead Shop and Cherry Blossoms Pantry at 258 Ashby High Street, are looking to convert the former library into a gymnasium spread over both floors. The building is currently owned by North Lincolnshire Council and is two storey situated on the northern side of Ashby High Street close to the tee junction with Everest Road.

Former Ashby Library

It opened as a Library on 16th April 1906 with the help of a Carnegie grant, the first librarian being Mr. Clement Kendall who remained in the post until his death in 1931.

The building closed in 2005 when the library was moved to the Ashby Link at Ashby Turn.

The plans include the main gymnasium with additional facilities provided for the disabled on the ground floor with changing facilities at first floor level together with a Cardiovascular and Fitness Room.

Car parking will be provided by six designated spaces in the car park across the road at Sunshine Hall, these spaces are to be provided by North Lincolnshire Council as part of the sale of the building.

Read More - http://www.visitscunthorpe.com/Scunt...um&Article=252
Old January 15th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Crosby Public House Saved from Demolition
Written by Hamst, Scuthorpe News

North Lincolnshire Council's Planning department have rejected a planning application to demolish the Crosby Public House, Scuthorpe, and instead erect a care home in its place.

Planners were concerned about the impact that the 3 story building would have on other existing properties in the area and rejected the proposal due to the fact that suitable drawings showing what this impact would be were not submitted by the developer.

Following various articles from readers on the Visit Scunthorpe web site it's refreshing to see that planners are prepared to take in to consideration the views of the local community and will consider the impact of commercial developments and ventures on what little remains of Scunthorpe's original architecture.

As another contributor said . . .

"It would be awful to see another landmark Building destroyed in Scunthorpe, when you consider the wreckage left by the 60s and 70s planners you would think a more sympathetic grant system for re use of older building would be in place instead of Grants only available for new building.

Look at all the new school buildings going up (with Grant Aid) while the same schools can't afford to repair older ones so knock them down. It's New labour and EU madness. I expected the Tories to be the party of common sense, as was always their mantra, but they seem to want to continue this madness."

Read More - http://www.visitscunthorpe.com/Scunt...sp?Article=129
Old January 29th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Plans for Brigg supermarkets get council backing
Scunthorpe Telegraph, Wednesday January 26th 2011

Brigg's Lidl store

TOWN councillors have voted to back plans for two major supermarket developments in Brigg.

Plans to relocate Lidl and expand Tesco were supported by councillors, giving a boost to the developers behind the two schemes.

Members of Brigg Town Council said their approval was subject to an assessment of the impact of the proposals on traffic in the area.

Councillors also stressed that they needed to be kept informed of any updates on technical and highway issues.

The plans – which would need the approval of North Lincolnshire Council – would see Lidl move from Springs Parade to Ancholme Way, and the nearby Tesco superstore would then expand on to the vacant site.

Read More - http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
Old January 29th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #6
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Shouldn't Scunthorpe and North Lincs. development news be in the Hull and Humber forum?
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
Shouldn't Scunthorpe and North Lincs. development news be in the Hull and Humber forum?

What do people think?

This thread is (as said earlier) for any and all developments and urban-related issues that are not being routinely covered on the four City-based forums.

Are the issues on this thread already being covered on the Hull and Humber forum?

Do posters from the more rural areas go on to the City-based forums?

The purpose of this thread is to (help) provide forumers with the widest possible choice of locations to post, and to provide a location that they can come to (and identify with) to post on urbanism issues.

It (and the other threads here) are not intended to take anything away from the Newcastle, Hull, Teesside, or Sunderland forums!

What do people think?

Is this a useful facility or not?

(I will eventually move this discussion to the 'Admin Thread')
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:07 PM   #8
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

will you be setting up a (for example) Gateshead area on the new communal part? I would assume not as it falls under the newcastle /tyneside city region - likewise for scunthorpe with Hull and Humber.
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
will you be setting up a (for example) Gateshead area on the new communal part? I would assume not as it falls under the newcastle /tyneside city region - likewise for scunthorpe with Hull and Humber.

Thankyou for your suggestion!!

All comments are appreciated and taken into account. I am hoping others contribute about the Hull and Humber aspect so that we can reach the best conclusion for all posters.

On your (legolamb) specific point, are Scunthorpe topics and issues being routinely covered on the H & H forum? Do posters from the Scunthorpe area visit the H & H forum to do so?

I think you know from the tenor of my comments on this, that I am not looking for disagreement and confrontation.

I am looking to establish what areas of our "forum region" do not get coverage (for whatever reason) on the 'City' forums, and which rural areas could benefit from utilising the communal area.

Are there no such areas around Hull, as there are around the other three forum areas?

Can anyone help with that.

Thanks All
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:18 PM   #10
pug

Likes (Received): 6

Should definately be featured on the Hull and Humber forum.
pug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

I am looking to establish what areas of our "forum region" do not get coverage (for whatever reason) on the 'City' forums, and which rural and semi-rural areas could benefit from utilising the communal area.

Are there no such areas around Hull, as there are around the other three forum areas?

Thanks

I am looking for any information about the above, if anyone can help?

Thanks
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:10 PM   #12
pug

East Yorkshire seems well covered in its own respective thread. The same should be set up for Scunthorpe (North Lincolnshire) and Greater Grimsby (North East Lincolnshire), both of which come under the Hull and Humber City Region.

It just seems that many areas of the country (largely rural/smaller towns) have negligable or absolutely no involvement on here. That is understandable and i think it will take significant regeneration in Grimsby and Scunthorpe before people from those areas think of joining up.
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM   #13
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug View Post
East Yorkshire seems well covered in its own respective thread. The same should be set up for Scunthorpe (North Lincolnshire) and Greater Grimsby (North East Lincolnshire), both of which come under the Hull and Humber City Region.

It just seems that many areas of the country (largely rural/smaller towns) have negligable or absolutely no involvement on here. That is understandable and i think it will take significant regeneration in Grimsby and Scunthorpe before people from those areas think of joining up.

Thanks for that pug, very helpful, as I am not as informed as I would like to be about some of the areas around Hull and Humber, that I potentially thought could have been more attracted to use their own thread on the communal area, rather than visiting a primarily City-based forum!!

You see what I am trying to achieve though?

There are identifiable areas around all of the other three forums, so they seem to be working ok . . . though I know it will "take time" for the word to get around, and posters to be attracted in numbers . . . if ever!!

We even have threads for CUMBRIA, which is not part of any of the four sub-forums on the North East Forum!! So, there is a demand, of sorts, for this type of thread, hence my prolonged efforts!

Can you suggest anything that could be done (name-changes, etc?) to develop a useful "areas around Hull" thread, in the way that we have for Cumbria and the other three North East forum areas?

Thanks again.
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:59 PM   #14
pug

Perhaps a Northern Lincolnshire thread or some such? Inside the main Hull and Humber forum. Could be changed as and when more people from that area start joining. I keep my eye on news from around the region, so would post up anything worthwhile when possible.
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #15
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Sorry NH, reading my reply back it does come across as a bit abrupt. Didn't mean for it too though, I was just a bit pushed for time.

I echo what pug says - there is nothing stopping somebody setting up threads for towns on the south bank in the Hull and Humber subforum - there has been a lot more discussion about the area and referencing of their local papers with recent developments around the ports, bridge tolls, the LEP etc.

It would be nice to see the sub-heading changed to include north and north-east lincs on the north east front page too.

Tags
development, developments, hull, humber, north east england, north lincolnshire, north lincs, rural areas