SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai - Roads | Flyovers | Freeways

Tags
mumbai
2M views 8K replies 398 participants last post by  Anuj N 
#1 ·
The Mumbai Roads and Flyovers thread went missing during the reorg, so this thread will basically serve the purpose of tracking updates on projects related to Roads including Bridges, Flyovers and Freeways.

x-posting the last couple of posts retrieved from Google's cache.

Axw11 said:
Freeway won’t spoil heritage view: MMRDA

Source: www.mumbaimirror.com
The city can rest assured that its heritage structures will not be put in the background by the elevated section of the proposed freeway from Colaba to Anik in Wadala.

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) has told representatives of Asiatic Society that the elevated sections would begin only after the point where the heritage buildings end.

The society had expressed reservations that the freeway, which is supposed to begin at the Prince of Wales Museum and pass through Shahid Bhagat Singh Road and P D’Mello Road before entering the Mumbai Port Trust area would obscure views of Town Hall, Hornbill House, Church of St Andrew and St Columba, Old Customs House, Government Mint, INS Angre and other naval establishments, and the Reserve Bank of India headquarters. All these and several more buildings on this route are heritage structures and the pride of this city.

The Asiatic Society feared that if elevated sections of the freeway come up in front of these buildings, they would be robbed of their grandeur.

On March 4 , Mumbai Mirror had reported the concerns raised by Asiatic Society about the freeway obscuring the city’s heritage structures

The society wrote to the MMRDA about its concerns in the second week of March and sought a meeting with commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad.

A meeting was fixed two weeks ago where Gaikwad assured the society’s members that the proposed 22-km freeway would in no way obstruct the view of the various heritage structures on Shahid Bhagat Singh Road.

He told them that there would be no elevated structure or road widening in the 1.6 km stretch between Prince of Wales Museum and Shahid Bhagat Singh Road.

Secondly, widening of the existing road would begin only after the Dena Bank building at Horniman Circle. The existing road will be widened between Walchand Hirachand Marg and Carnac Bunder.

Elevated sections would begin from Carnac Bunder.

Joint project director (public relations) Dilip Kawathkar told Mumbai Mirror that all necessary precautions have been taken to ensure that the heritage structures are not disturbed in any way and retain their grandeur.

WHAT IS THE FREEWAY ABOUT?

The proposed freeway will provide a high-speed corridor between Colaba and Anik in Wadala. It will start at Prince of Wales Museum, pass through Shahid Bhagat Singh Road and P D’Mello Road before entering the Mumbai Port Trust area. It will take the Anik Panjrapole Link Road and touch the Eastern Express Highway at Wadala. It is estimated to cost Rs 600 crore and is expected to be completed in 36 months.

WHY IT WON’T OBSCURE HERITAGE

There would be no elevated structure or road widening in the 1.6 km stretch between Prince of Wales Museum and Shahid Bhagat Singh Road where most of the heritage structures are located. Widening of the existing road would begin only after the Dena Bank building at Horniman Circle. The existing road will be widened between Walchand Hirachand Marg and Carnac Bunder. Elevated sections would begin from Carnac Bunder.
Jubin said:
MM: JVLR gets presidential nod
link

With President Pratibha Patil giving the go-ahead to acquire a part of the Indian Institute of Technology land for widening the Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road (JVLR), the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is doing everything it can to speed up work on the project.

A senior MMRDA official said that after several months of negotiations between MMRDA and IIT officials, the matter went to the President whose consent is required as IIT is run by the central government.” The President gave her consent last month enabling MMRDA to acquire the land for road widening,” said the official.
IndiansUnite said:
Thought i'd mention it here. Mumbai has around 50 functional flyovers right now. The ones U/C compiled from different sources are-

5 U/C on the WEH (Kandivali, Malad, Goregaon, Santa Cruz, Kherwadi)
5 U/C on Ambedkar road (Byculla, Lalbaug, Parel TT, Dadar TT, Sion)
Navghar flyover on EEW
Suman Nagar flyover
Barfiwalla lane- SV Road
Kurla Flyover
Sahar Elevated road (1.8kms)
Adi Shankaracharya Marg : LBS road
R.C.F. Junction

______

Apr 5: Kurla flyover on track again

MUMBAI: Work on the city's first double-decker flyover, coming up near Lokmanya Tilak Terminus, Kurla, which adjoins the Santa Cruz-Chembur Link Road (SCLR), is finally progressing after some initial delays. The flyover is expected to be ready by the end of next year.

The flyover will be 1.75 km in length and will cost Rs 110 crore. It will connect Sable Nagar near Tilak Terminus to New Tilak Nagar, which is between Hans Bugra Marg and Amar Mahal Junction.
cptracker said:
Kandivli west to east in 15 mins

Some shanties (in the background, on left) on the eastern end of the Kandivli flyover were blocking construction of the approach road. Last week, the BMC removed the last of the shanties

BMC removes shanty that held up work on flyover for nine years, will make it operational in May

Residents of Kandivli can rejoice as the last of the tenements that had held up work on a flyover connecting the eastern and western parts for over nine years was removed last week. Considering the delay, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) demolished the shanty within an hour of the occupants getting alternative accommodation.

The flyover is almost complete but for the approach road, which could not be built as it necessitated removal of the tenement.

R-South ward assistant municipal commissioner V V Shankarwar said, “Once the occupants were allotted alternative accommodation, we called up the family and gave them an hour to vacate the room. Our staff then took a tempo to help the family shift to their new home at Kandivli (W). As soon as they left, we demolished the structure. We did not want to waste even a single day. The flyover will be made operational in May 2008.”

The tenements were part of a chawl lying at the eastern end of the bridge over the Western Railway line. Apparently, BMC never took the 115 shanties into account while planning the flyover in 1995. Work began in 1996 but was held up in 1999 after residents of the shanties refused to make way for the flyover.

In May 2005, occupants of 107 shanties were given alternative accommodation. Seven more were rehabilitated later but one remained because of a dispute between two parties. The last one was removed last week. Rs 60 crore went into the rehabilitation project.

But it seems to be money well spent. Nishant Chavan, Mahindra & Mahindra employee, says, “It takes me around 45 minutes to reach my office in the east. From May, I expect to make it in just 15 minutes.”

ABOUT THE FLYOVER

The flyover can be reached from Killachand Road (Shanker Lane) in the west. It will lead to Ashok Chakravarty Road and further to Akurli Road in the east. It is 600 metres long, 90 feet wide and cost Rs 9.85 crore.

At present, people have to travel all the way to either Borivli or Malad to cross over from Kandivli west to the east. Alternatively, they can try the Kandivli station railway crossing, which is, however, closed during peak hours in the morning and evening. Incidentally, WR plan to close the crossing once the flyover is operational due the high number of accidents.

Interestingly, a 57-foot high wall will be built on the eastern side as a visibility barrier at the insistence of defence authorities. The adjacent plot belongs to the armed forces who wanted the wall for security reasons.

It takes me around 45 minutes to reach my office in the east. From May, I expect to make it in just 15 minutes.
- Nishant Chavan, M&M employee

I am very happy because I have to travel from east to the west every day, sometimes twice. Also, this flyover will be boon for those facing a medical emergency. And, in case of a fire, the fire engines will reach here quickly
- Usha Patel, housewife

#221 ·
Thanks, Bhargav.
I think that many drivers stay in lane, but there are many who violate the white lines just 'coz they don't know any better. Some drivers need to be "coaxed" into their lane by a little show of force (which can be fun, sometimes). Properly marked roads force drivers to observe lane discipline, so the more of these well marked roads there are, the better the overall driving discipline. If the metropolitan region were to ever get rid of those pesky auto-rickshaws, you'll find that most people WILL follow the rules of the road.

One thing's for sure tho' - Bombayites are definitely more disciplined than the rest of the country, and even mainland Maharashtra.
Nice pics, KB. Thanks for sharing :)

Judging from your pics, drivers in Mumbai are much more disciplined than their counterparts in Delhi when it comes to lane driving. And you echoed my thoughts on the 'pesky' autorickshaws. I have no scientific backing, but I strongly feel road discipline will be much better without the autorickshaws. They are small, a lane is too big for them; they are slow, other cars behind them overtake them anytime/anywhere, thus breaking lane rule; and most auto drivers have no knowledge of road rules. Might I also add that they look ugly and aren't safe at all.

Mr. Tata may not like it, but the Nano is the perfect alternative. There are some roadblocks like having to teach the thousands of autowallahs how to drive a four wheeler, and in the case of Delhi, creating CNG versions of the car. These problems can be overcome if the government shows interest. Let the Nanos roll in.

#222 ·
Thanks Zhiemi; I have no scientific backing either, but there isn't a shadow of doubt in my mind that road discipline in our major metros will improve drastically after the three-wheelers have been gotten rid of. Suburban traffic in Bombay, although better than the rest of the country, is far below the island city's standards. I can't imagine what would've become of SoBo if those rickitty-ricks were allowed to ply here.

I agree with the fact that the TATA Nano should replace auto-rickshaws, but again, there needs to be regulation, and proper instruction.

On another note, I was driving behind a 'learner' one day (I know she was a learner 'coz of the gigantic 'L' sticker which spread halfway across her compact car), and I noticed that she wasn't wearing her seat-belt, and was indicating turns with her hands! :crazy:

I pulled up against the compact, and noticed she had a private driving instructor sitting beside her. This half-baked "instructor" had no clue what a seat-belt is, or even how to use indicators, and made sure the learner drove in the DEAD-CENTRE of the bloody street with no respect for white lines.
I couldn't help myself from stopping them and asking the "instructor" to learn the basics of proper driving before "teaching" his student. Friggin' morons.

#223 ·
Lol. Oh well, we have a lot of catching up to do. Good to know things are better in the island city.

The system ought to change. People need to be really qualified to do what they are made to do. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon in our lifetime :eek:hno:

#225 ·
please don't tell me that in post 211(probably 4th or 5th pic) the guy is riding his bike on the median!!:bash:
:lol: he sure is.... Just to get pass the traffic.... we Indians rock at breaking rules man for sure....

@ KB..

Yeah man, the auto rickshaws are really nuisance... Slow and rule breakers again... I doubt if we will see these small vehicles go at least in the next 10 years...

#227 ·
First of all, the reason there is so much crowding around stations is because they allow hawkers to sit and sell their items and take up half the space. So everyone else has only 1/2 the foot over bridge. If they removed these people, the crowding would be much much less.

They should not even think of allowing hawkers on the skywalks! Skywalks should also have travelators if they are really long. This is the case in most other cities which have skywalks.

When we need to replace suburban railway system completely with modern world class metro, then why invest more around suburban railway stations?
The suburban railway system, though crowded, is extremely efficient. If you look at a satellite image of Mumbai, it's actually built around the suburban railway. I agree that the suburban railway needs to be completely redone. But if you're saying that we should abandon the suburban railway, then I would totally disagree.

#228 ·
^^
Can someone knowledgeable please explain what the satellite image above is supposed to convey? Where are the 3 linear railway lines? I don't see the correlation between the development of Bombay and the railway lines on the map above.

What most people don't realise is that hawkers are an integral part of Bombay's culture, centered around the local train network. Most middle-class and lower middle-class households depend on these hawkers for their daily essential purchases. Many of the city's commuters shop at these makeshift stalls either on their way to, or mostly after work. It would be foolish (and detrimental to the micro economy of the area) to do away with these hawkers, although I completely agree with the fact that these demarcated hawking zones need to be made fool-proof, in terms of sanitation and drainage.
Integrating these hawker-units with the station (by means of a skywalk), provides seamless connectivity between commuter/ customer and hawker. It is best to improve the way 'hawking' functions around stations, rather than letting our streets and sidewalks decay with illegal/ legal shops hogging-up all there is to consume.

#232 ·
^^

What most people don't realise is that hawkers are an integral part of Bombay's culture, centered around the local train network.
I think there is so much more to that "Culture" issue. I think a lot of problems(issues) in India are attributed to the people's mentality that the culture is static. I totally disagree with that, if you are saying that the hawkers are an integral part of Bombay's culture, you are one of those people who believe cultures can't be bend or change. I think now it's time to put some sense in the general public and most importantly in hawkers that the public places are not meant for their "little business". By no means I am saying that you should not help them. May be government should encourage them to form an association. Once they have raised required capital throught the association, the government should lend them low interest loan to help start their shop(s). It's about turning illegimate practice in to a legimate business. The government can actually raise sales tax, property tax and eventually income tax through these business.

Skywalks are made from tax-payers money. They can't sell stuff without paying sales tax or property tax on public property.

#233 ·
^^
Can someone knowledgeable please explain what the satellite image above is supposed to convey? Where are the 3 linear railway lines? I don't see the correlation between the development of Bombay and the railway lines on the map above.

Sorry, I thought it was obvious. Navi Mumbai, Suburban Mumbai and Thane have all developed with the the train as backbone. Hope this image can show it.

This image shows the suburbs of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. You can see that urban development in the suburbs has always been centered around the railway

#234 ·
Sorry, I thought it was obvious. Navi Mumbai, Suburban Mumbai and Thane have all developed with the the train as backbone. Hope this image can show it.

This image shows the suburbs of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. You can see that urban development in the suburbs has always been centered around the railway
I think you are generalizing too much. If that were true, we would have no requirement for an east-west metro, for example. It looks that way because mumbai itself is a thin strip of land.

#235 ·
work has started on the eastern freeway. almost from the junction of carnac bridge and p d mello road to anik panjrapole, there is some activity going on. there are boards/signs with Simplex's name all over them.
thanks for the pics jubin... did you get to check the sahar elevated road?
in december, work was in full swing - progressing faster than the metro i thought.

#237 ·
dr. ambedkar road update

there is construction going almost on the entire stretch of the road from sion circle upto byculla. i saw signage for j kumar infra projects everywhere. didn't click any photos, though

#239 ·
yeah. they are adding flyovers at all remaining signal junctions. after this you can travel from VT to pune without any signals (well, almost any. i think one or two will remain in new bombay just before the expressway)
i believe there will still be a few more stop lights in chembur. that's a minor kvetch. however what i am interested in finding out is how are they going to solve the problem at chembur naka. this is where the monorail and the mankhurd/charkop line will cross each other. this intersection is already a nightmare.

#240 ·
R&D

First of all, the reason there is so much crowding around stations is because they allow hawkers to sit and sell their items and take up half the space. So everyone else has only 1/2 the foot over bridge. If they removed these people, the crowding would be much much less.

They should not even think of allowing hawkers on the skywalks! Skywalks should also have travelators if they are really long. This is the case in most other cities which have skywalks.

The suburban railway system, though crowded, is extremely efficient. If you look at a satellite image of Mumbai, it's actually built around the suburban railway. I agree that the suburban railway needs to be completely redone. But if you're saying that we should abandon the suburban railway, then I would totally disagree.

This is the problem with Indian Railways, they say that they made 90K crore profit and we're buying metro rail coaches for Mumbai metro from China. What kind of profit and development is this? We need to invest in R&D, IR is running railways for last 60 years and they did not absolutely innovate anything. They are simply running what British gave them.