daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Saudi Arabia > Saudi Arabia forums > Transport and Infrastructure | البنية التحتية والنقل العام

Old February 20th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #1
vc15nets

Likes (Received): 61

YANBU l COMPLETED l New Yanbu Airport.

Work Begins on New Airport in Yanbu
P.K. Abdul Ghafour, Arab News

JEDDAH, 20 February 2006 — Work on the new SR190 million Yanbu Airport began recently after higher authorities gave the go-ahead for the project, which is expected to boost development of this industrial city.

The new airport is being constructed in an area opposite to the present one and will be ready within a year and a half from now, by the middle of 2007.

“The cost will be SR190 million as some of the expenses related to the old airport were not included in the earlier estimate,” Al-Madinah Arabic daily quoted an informed source as saying.

While he was crown prince, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah inspected a model of the new airport when he visited Yanbu last July for the launch of Yanbu-2 Industrial City. At that time, an official statement said the project which includes construction of a new passenger lounge covering an area of 8,500 sq. mt., would cost SR188 million.

The new airport will have two levels, each with an area of 10,000 sq. mt., and will have jetways to facilitate boarding of passengers. It will also have an advanced control tower and a weather forecast center.

Other facilities at the new airport include a royal lounge, a separate building for air cargo, a power station and a desalination plant. The airport will have long wide runways to enable it to receive large aircraft. The Yanbu airport will receive Haj flights during the Haj season.

Economic analysts believe that the new airport will be a shot in the arm for the city in the promotion of its industrial and economic development.

King Abdullah, when he laid the cornerstone for Yanbu-2, said it offered tremendous opportunities for both Saudi and foreign investors. The new mega-industrial city on the Red Sea is expected to attract investments worth SR115 billion.

Yanbu-2, which covers an area of 66 sq. km., is expected to house 34 basic and secondary industries and 224 light industries.

The Royal Commission will spend SR12 billion on infrastructure for Yanbu-2, of which SR6 billion will be set aside for the first phase. A SR19 billion Yansab plant of Saudi Basic Industries Corp will be established in the new industrial city.
vc15nets no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 21st, 2006, 12:59 AM   #2
HiJazzey
Come on!

Likes (Received): 46

I'm surprised by this. You have Medina airport which is in serious need of expansion and they opt for building a new airport in a town which has very low demand (one of the lowest passenger numbers in all of Saudi).
HiJazzey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 3

Well, HiJazzey, don't forget that Yanbu's population will double by 2015 and I think that the Higher Commission of Turism is promoting it as a tourist atraction. I've heard though that Madina Airport will get a face lift and expansion soon.
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:45 PM   #4
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

I was under the impression that tourism is nonexistent except for saudi citizens, hoepfully they will amke the regulations more lax.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:29 PM   #5
HiJazzey
Come on!

Most tourism is either religious (pilgrims) or local (Saudi / GCC). There's also a small amount of foreign tourists, mostly cultural tourism.

There are good sites for tourism in the western regions of the country. But Yanbu isn't a focal point. The main gateways for tourism are Jeddah, Medina, Abha, and potentialy Tabuk (closest city to many historic sites). Those 4 airports also happen to be the airports most in need of upgrade.

I don't think Yanbu needs any significant upgrade in the short/medium term. It only handles about 20 flights a WEEK. Even were flights to quadruple, it can easily handle it. The airport can take 4 planes simultaneously. Jizan airport, which is of similar size, can handle the much bigger volume it receives.

What essentially they mean, is that the type of people flying to Yanbu (executives, engineers etc..) are more prestigious, and so they need to make the airport more luxurious for them.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 153

Maybe Yanbu isnt the best airport in need of an expansion. But, one thing for sure, Medina Airport requires an urgent expansion program especially, during the Hajj season.

Jeddah airport (discussed in another forum) has too small of terminal buildings--and therefore require a new terminal.

Saudi Arabia can easily beat Dubai as the tourism hotspot in the Middle East if it opens up more, become less conservative; that could boost airport/airline traffic in the kingdom.

Take a look at Sharm El Sheik. Saudi has exactly the same scenery and beach--if not better. That is simply one area. As for Abha, I know people from Qatar who go to Abha to vacation there. So, it has lots of potential.

Maybe even create more international airports..
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:19 PM   #7
HiJazzey
Come on!

Hi Halawala,

Oh yeah, Medina is in dire need of a new modern terminal. That way, they can expand capacity, and turn it into a full international airport (ie foreign airlines serving MED).

As for potential, Saudi has plenty in many fields. But we've got a bunch of extremists from Qaseem standing in the way of everything. So what to do
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Halawala
Fairouzy

Thanks, HiJazzey for the answer..
I think the King Abdulla is a reformist (by the way he talks about women's rights and driving as an example), but do you think [not trying to be political or anything] things will change in the kingdom in the areas of reforming the aviation sector and tourism in the near future (keeping in mind that the King is pretty old and who knows who long he will stay in power[allah yi7af'6a])??
Halawala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #9
HiJazzey
Come on!

The King is a good man and genuinely reformist but IMO people will be dissapointed if they expect major reforms (I'm not going into detail why). But I hope he lays the ground work for younger generations to make the big changes.

Transport is getting reformed and developed as we speak. Tourism is another matter.
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #10
vc15nets

Likes (Received): 61

French Firms Eye Kingdom’s Airport Projects
K.S. Ramkumar, Arab News

JEDDAH, 26 February 2006 — France, which is already present in Saudi Arabia with its technology in various fields of activity, is now increasingly looking for airport projects. “Our visit coincides with the Kingdom’s plans to upgrade and expand its airports with the latest equipment and technology,” a member of the delegation said.

The team represents eight members who are specialized in airport equipment and technology. They gave a series of presentations at Alhamra Sofitel Hotel yesterday, which was attended by directors and officials of local and other airports across the Kingdom. They included directors and senior officials representing King Abdul Aziz International Airport (KAIA), the Royal Terminal and airports in Madinah, Tabuk and the Royal Commission of Yanbu. “Additionally, the visitors are conducting workshops to introduce their products and services,” Samir H. Eshky, deputy director of project development at KAIA, told Arab News on the sidelines of the presentation. “This is just an introductory meeting prior to the issuance of tenders and invitation of bids for projects at various airports here,” Alain Boutebel, economic and commercial counselor at the Consulate General of France, said.

The visitors are meeting the specialized units of the General Authority for Civil Aviation with a view to presenting the French technology and its use in various projects, especially the expansion of KAIA. The delegation comprises Philippe Laburthe of CNIM, Christian Senechal of ALSTEF, Laurent Lacledere of Thor, Herve Mariage of Schneider, Eric Papillon of Degreane, Fabrice Katz of ADPI, Philippe Guerbe of Thales, and Alcatel’s Eric Bernard, Guy Martin Prevel and Amir Sidhom.
vc15nets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:32 AM   #11
Riyadhi

Saudi Arabia's Yanbu Airport to Receive US$50 MLN Refurbishment

Saudi Arabia's Deputy Premier and Minister of Defence Crown Prince Sultan has signed a contract with a national company to refurbish Yanbu airport at a total cost of SR188 million (US$50.1 million). The airport, the first plane for which will be completed in 18 months, will cover an area of 8,500 sq. meters and be equipped with new departure and arrival lounges, which will allow passengers to embark and disembark planes directly.

The airport will also have new control towers, cargo facilities, security and safety systems, a power station and a mosque.

The signing followed the launch of the Knowledge Economic City (KEC) in Madinah by King Abdullah. The move is part of the efforts to develop various regions in the Kingdom thereby easing pressure on the infrastructure of the country's three main cities.
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #12
Mr Grosso

Likes (Received): 6

Yanbu Airport Upgrade

Client : Ministry Of Defence -Presidency of Civil Aviation

Project OverView :
Construction Cost: 50 M
Design Completion Date : 2003

ENGINEERING SERVICES
Design

Project Description:
Upgrade of the existing runway, addition of parallele taxiway & apron, design of new main terminal and all related buildings and services.

Yanbu Airport Upgrade

i find this picture it was small picture so i change the size , it is not very clear

Mr Grosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #13
Mr Grosso

Likes (Received): 6

Normal picture

Mr Grosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #14
gohorns

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala
Maybe Yanbu isnt the best airport in need of an expansion. But, one thing for sure, Medina Airport requires an urgent expansion program especially, during the Hajj season.

Jeddah airport (discussed in another forum) has too small of terminal buildings--and therefore require a new terminal.

Saudi Arabia can easily beat Dubai as the tourism hotspot in the Middle East if it opens up more, become less conservative; that could boost airport/airline traffic in the kingdom.

Take a look at Sharm El Sheik. Saudi has exactly the same scenery and beach--if not better. That is simply one area. As for Abha, I know people from Qatar who go to Abha to vacation there. So, it has lots of potential.

Maybe even create more international airports..
I agree with you completely....
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #15
CoolSaudi

Likes (Received): 0

Pic of the new airport

Hi everybody, First of all i'm pleased to join you and be a member of this awesome forum ..
and this actually will be my first post..

Yah anyways...Yanbu Airport has been officially opened for air traffic a few days ago and I leave with some pic of the airport.

very neat indeed...
CoolSaudi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #16
Sdare
سيفين و...؟

Likes (Received): 262

Welcome CoolSaudi to SSC
Happy to see new Saudi member
and thnx for the update
Sdare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #17
Halawala
Fairouzy

Very neat airport indeed! I didnt expect it to look this good! Thanks for sharing them.
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #18
khalelooo

Likes (Received): 1

They finally got rid of the beij, dark red, and these old fashioned colores! i'm glad to see such a modern airport in Saudi! Hoping for a similar design in Jeddah inshallah sometime soon.
khalelooo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #19
Riyadhi

welcome to the forum CoolSaudi and thanks for the picture...

The airport looks great... I didn't expect it to be completed this fast!
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:23 PM   #20
ZK
I Support Pakistan Army

Likes (Received): 30

so nice....all regional airports should undergo a 50 million dollars renovation like this airport...

LAND OF PAKISTAN

FREE PALESTINE
ZK no está en línea   Reply With Quote