daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Myanmar forum > Myanmar > Cities and Places

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 8085

Cityscapes/Photos | Naypyidaw

The site of the new capital is in a remote mountainous area

Rangoon already has the necessary infrastructure

Burma announced last November that it was moving its capital 400km north from Rangoon to a remote rural area near the town of Pyinmana.

Few outsiders have been allowed to visit the site itself. These images - supplied to the BBC by recent visitors - give a rare glimpse of the emerging capital

The move has confused foreign observers, who say the new site lacks Rangoon's advantages.

Construction is well under way, though much remains to be done to make this a suitable administrative centre.

In the nearby town of Pyinmana, life goes on as normal, despite the upheaval down the road.

Local facilities look out of place so near to what is set to be the country's administrative hub.

Burma's secretive government says Pyinmana is more centrally located than Rangoon, and therefore better able to serve the nation.

But analysts say the real reason may be fear of foreign attack, or even have been motivated by fortune-tellers.
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 26th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 77

That is...weird, but mayb there's a true reason lies inside.
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #3
Muyangguniang
T H E H A G U E

Likes (Received): 40

F*ck the Burmese government are they mad???
But also I hope that Yangon can Develop better because the government is going to an other city, we will see it in the future.
when Aung San Suu Kyi returns Myanmar will be the country for and from all the people
who lives in Myanmar..i know that for sure!
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #4
kronik

Likes (Received): 24

I read about the capital move as well, and many of the sites i read it from said it is just another inexplicable move by an eccentric dictatorship.

My parents have been to Rangoon (i did too, but as an infant) and used to tell me what a great place Rangoon was.
It pains me to see what Burma's become.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #5
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 972

Burma's new capital named Nay Pyi Daw
Alison Hunter
Mizzima News (www.mizzima.com)
November 12, 2005

Sources in Rangoon have confirmed the government plans to name the new capital in Pyinmana 'Nay Pyi Daw' meaning 'capital' or 'place of a king' in old-fashioned usage.

But according to sources 'Nay Pyi Daw' is less than fit for a king with telephone lines the only modern amenity available. Government workers who have made the move to the new capital have reported that no food, drinking water or permanent shelter was waiting for them.

Mizzima sources reported a deputy minister told his friends he was in shock after arriving in Pyinmana and finding that the road to his new office was unfinished.

According to reports, dissent is growing among the government employees who have made the move, with some complaining the relocation had separated families and was eating up too much of Burma's national budget.

If correct, the dissent is likely to be further fuelled by reports that no satellite dishes or mobile phones will be allowed in the new capital.

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

bozenBDJ liked this post
LordMarshall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:19 PM   #6
normandb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

What's wrong with Rangoon? Why are they moving the capital. I think the government should be move out of Burma
normandb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #7
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 972

Source: BBC

Burma's new capital stages parade

Quote:
Burma has staged its first official ceremony in its new administrative capital with a massive display of military force.

More than 12,000 troops took part in a parade in the capital, near Pyinmana, which was officially named Naypyidaw or "seat of kings" on Monday.

It is not clear why the secretive ruling junta moved the capital from Rangoon.

State TV only showed footage of troops, rather than of the capital itself.

Monday's parade was to mark Armed Forces Day which commemorates the Burmese military's uprising against the Japanese during World War II.

Addressing the troops, head of state Than Shwe said the country needed a strong military during its move to "disciplined democracy".

Burma has not had a constitution since the junta seized power in 1988.

In his address, Senior General Than Shwe said the military was striving to create peace and stability so that a multi-party democracy could exist.

"The people, together with the military must also strive hard to build a modern, developed state where disciplined democracy flourishes," he said.

Burma has pledged to allow democracy under strong pressure from its neighbours as well as the US and other Western powers, but has so far failed to deliver.
[/B]
The State Peace and Development Council abruptly announced in November it was moving the government to remote Pyinmana, 600km (373 miles) north of Rangoon.

Than Shwe made no mention of the capital in his speech on Monday.

The reasons for moving the capital are unclear. Some analysts point to a paranoia among senior military figures that they might come under attack, potentially from the United States, and that a location further from the coast is strategically safer.

But others suggest the military leaders are simply repeating the habits of the Burmese kings in pre-colonial times who built new towns and palaces on the advice of fortune tellers.

Civil servants, who received a sharp pay increase at the weekend, complained on Monday about poor infrastructure and boredom, Reuters news agency reported.

"I'll probably save some money if I stay here. I'm single and I'm not after any amusement or pleasure," Ko Soe Aung, a clerk, told the agency.

Some top-ranked officials will see their salary soar more than 1,000%, according to a document circulated to various ministries.
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4848408.stm

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

LordMarshall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 95

What a poor capital!!!
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #9
Zorobabel
Awesomeness

Likes (Received): 2

Is this really a good way to spend development money? The economy is growing so slowly compared to the rest of Asia (3.5% annually).
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:58 AM   #10
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 125

Have they gone mad?!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:42 AM   #11
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 82

I went to Burma in 2001. It was hell. No one wanted to be there and there was a constant atmosphere of paranoia. This sounds like the kind of thing mad cult leaders do before they kill everyone - ala David Koresh. If I was Burmese I'd be very worried about this. The military there are really crazy.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #12
ckm

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effer
Have they gone mad?!
I think so. I had also read in the papers that the place of the new capital was chosen according to fortune-tellers' predictions.
ckm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #13
jenncoolmodee

Likes (Received): 0

found on pacifica radio site, kpfk.org

To: All People concerned about American Wars Worldwide
Subject: Warning to SE Asian countries about Iran war and monsoon rains
depositing radiation in environment

Dear Editor and Staff,

The United states has now caused depleted uranium illnesses in more
than 50% of our soldiers who have served on the depleted uranium
battlefields in Iraq, Yugoslavia and Afghanistan. "Depleted Uranium:
Dirty Bombs, Dirty Missiles, Dirty
Bullets" http://www.sfbayview.com

People at the top of the US govt and Military know this: "Terrell E.
Arnold, who has been responsible for training our most senior and most
promising military officers as chairman of the Department of
International Studies at the U.S. National War College in Washington,
reports that Coalition dead and wounded may actually be twice what the
US government admits and that, including the effects of our use of
depleted uranium and other toxic weapons, "a long-term casualty rate
for American forces of 40-50 percent appears realistic.""

The US and Israel are threatening nuclear war on Iran.

The Chinese intelligence have already warned countries that will be
contaminated with radiation from monsoon rainout of nuclear materials:
http://www.waynemadsenreport.com/dec30-jan606.htm Page Down the page
for the article on Chinese Intelligence.

"Southeast Asian intelligence sources report that Burma's (Myanmar's)
recent abrupt decision to move its capital from Rangoon (Yangon) to
remote Pyinmana, 200 miles to the north, is a result of Chinese
intelligence warnings to its Burmese allies about the effects of
radiation resulting from a U.S. conventional or tactical nuclear attack
on Iranian nuclear facilities."

"There is concern that a series of attacks on Iranian nuclear
installations will create a Chernobyl-like radioactive cloud that would
be caught up in monsoon weather in the Indian Ocean."

"Reports from Yemen indicate that western oil companies are concerned
about U.S. intentions in Iran since the southern Arabian country
catches the edge of the monsoon rains that could contain radioactive
fallout from an attack, endangering their workers in the country."

"Low-lying Rangoon lies in the path of monsoon rains that would
continue to carry radioactive fallout from Iran over South and
Southeast Asia between May and October."

"Coastal Indian Ocean cities like Rangoon, Dhaka, Calcutta, Mumbai,
Chennai, and Colombo would be affected by the radioactive fallout more
than higher elevation cities since humidity intensifies the effects of
the fallout. Thousands of government workers were given only two days'
notice to pack up and leave Rangoon for the higher (and dryer)
mountainous Pyinmana."

Moret continues: I have been on SAHAR TV - Teheran Office - warning
about this radiation and discussing other issues. Please contact
Afsaneh Ostovar, the Producer of the programs if you would like more
information. You should do a big story on this coming nightmare from
the "Infidels". I have lived in Iran briefly. I love Iran and the
people. This cannot be allowed to happen to Iran by the people of the
world. It will make the country radioactive forever. Please do what
you can to help.

Here is an article I wrote for the World Affairs Journal. Look at the
map and see where Iran is in this nuclear war: "Depleted Uranium: The
Trojan Horse of Nuclear War" http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2004/D...orse1jul04.htm
Or, http://tinyurl.com/7dydm

Here is a Letter to the Editor for you to post everywhere:

BATTLE CREEK ENQUIRER – Letter to Editor/Opinion, August 9, 2005

Depleted uranium is WMD by Leuren Moret
http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/a...2/1014/OPINION
Or, http://tinyurl.com/87crs

Thank you,

Leuren Moret
LeurenMoret@yahoo.com
jenncoolmodee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #14
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6682

Myanmar unveils zoo in remote new capital

NAYPYIDAW, Myanmar, March 26, 2008 (AFP) - Myanmar's military rulers opened a zoo in their new capital Naypyidaw on Wednesday, bringing a rare attraction to the isolated city which emerged from scrubland in 2005.

About 420 animals including rare wallabies, white tigers and penguins were moved from the former seat of government Yangon in February and trucked to the 612-acre (247-hectare) Naypyidaw Zoological Gardens.

"We are very proud as we have constructed this international standard zoological garden within seven months," Tin Aung Myint Oo, a senior junta member, said in his opening speech.

"Not only local visitors, but also foreign tourists can study here," he told gathered ministers, diplomats and junta officials.

He did not explain how foreign tourists -- currently banned from the new capital by the secretive generals -- would visit the zoo, which is on the Yangon-Mandalay highway about 400 kilometres (250 miles) north of Yangon.

About half of the animals residing in the 102-year-old Yangon Zoological Gardens including elephants, crocodiles, tigers, deer, leopards and monkeys were loaded into trucks and driven up to Naypyidaw.

"No animal was killed when transferring them from Yangon to Naypyidaw. All are in good health now. They are enjoying it here," a senior official at the new zoo told AFP.

Tens of thousands of people flocked from nearby villages to visit the zoo, which was free to the public on its opening day.

"We are very happy. We have never been to a zoo before," said a 50-year-old woman from a nearby village as she queued in hot weather with her children.

"This is a good chance for us to see animals. Now I'm waiting to see the white tigers."

But some at the opening ceremony worried that the oppressive heat of central Myanmar might not suit the menagerie.

"The weather is so hot here," said one Yangon-based diplomat. "I am worried whether the animals can stay in this weather. They will have to plant many trees for the animals here."

The military regime surprised the world in 2005 by suddenly shifting its capital from Yangon to this remote town in the mountains.

Since then Naypyidaw's population has grown to more than 900,000 people, according to official statistics. Residents are mostly government and military officials ordered to move from Yangon.

The city will be site of a grand military parade on Thursday to mark Armed Forces Day.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #15
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 8085

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
I went to Burma in 2001. It was hell. No one wanted to be there and there was a constant atmosphere of paranoia. This sounds like the kind of thing mad cult leaders do before they kill everyone - ala David Koresh. If I was Burmese I'd be very worried about this. The military there are really crazy.
Agreed! My Burmese friend absolutely hates Burma due to the Military Government there. He says that they have ruined the country, no one wants to live there, no one knows anything about the going ons in Burma or the outside world and the quality of education there is abysmal!
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Adrian Fulga

Likes (Received): 167

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECENT PHOTOS OF THE NEW CAPITAL...OR FROM YANGON RECENT DEVELOPMENTS !???
http://www.hotel-express.com/hotel-listing/
"Whenever You have a doubt...there is no doubt" - "RONIN" - Robert de Niro
I Love Romania because it's My country and for My Country I would die every second knowing that It will resurrect me back from the dead !
Adrian Fulga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #17
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6682

WITNESS-Overnight in Myanmar's ghost town capital

NAYPYIDAW, Myanmar, July 4 (Reuters) - A green and yellow sign greeted us in English and Burmese with the words: "Welcome to Naypyitaw". Someone in our bus quipped that it should have read: "Welcome to the Dictators' Disneyland."

Myanmar's remote new capital, Naypyidaw, looks more like a seaside resort-in-progress than a city. But it is too far from the sea to make it a proper resort.

In fact, Naypyidaw is a virtual fortress where the reclusive military rulers of the former Burma have isolated themselves, some 320 km (200 miles) away from the mass demonstrations that occasionally erupt in the country's largest city, Yangon.

I was one of a small group of journalists who had the rare privilege of spending the night in Naypyidaw, where foreigners are banned unless they are invited there on official business.

As members of a U.N. delegation travelling with Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon we got special treatment -- we could use satellite telephones, which are illegal in Myanmar, to contact the outside world.

We also had access to the Internet to file stories and send emails about Ban's second trip to the new capital, established in 2005.

During his two-day visit, Ban tried unsuccessfully to persuade Senior General Than Shwe, the junta leader, to let him meet Myanmar's main opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who is currently trial for breaching the terms of her house arrest.

One of the first things I noticed about Naypyidaw was the lack of people and cars, which gave the city the eerie atmosphere of a ghost town.

As we sped along the pristine but empty highway towards our hotel, the only people we saw were military police, security officials, and a few labourers working in the fields or on construction sites.

The preferred architecture for ministry buildings and government mansions is white and beige stone with coloured roofs surrounded by carefully manicured lawns, palm trees, shrubbery and stone walls.

Some of the buildings have cheerful-looking signs identifying which ministries they belong to.

One of the officials in the delegation told us privately that there have been some recent additions to Naypyidaw -- it now has a shopping mall and its own zoo, complete with penguins and lions to keep the rulers and people forced to relocate there entertained.

There is also a golf course, since the generals and many of their official guests enjoy taking in an occasional round of golf.

Underneath the city, U.N. officials explained, is an extensive network of tunnels designed by engineers from North Korea, a country with a communist government that rivals Myanmar in its secrecy.

The most impressive building we saw was the junta's new palatial reception hall. Named after an 18th century king, Bayint Naung Yeiktha, it is where Ban met with Than Shwe and other leaders of the junta.

Surrounded by rolling hills and jungle vegetation, the building is circumscribed by a high-security fence that would not be easy to climb.

Inside the hall, there was an ornate waterfall fountain in which massive goldfish rise up and spout water against a mountainside.

Journalists received rough treatment at the hands of the military police and security officials. I was trying to photograph Ban as he entered the meeting with Than Shwe when a uniformed military official grabbed me by my backpack and threw me roughly back towards a chair.

They pushed us around constantly until we were out of sight of the 76-year-old Than Shwe.

Back at the Naypyidaw hotel, our hosts had forgotten to arrange for food for the reporters. The eternally polite hotel workers took care of us.

They gathered up leftovers from a buffet prepared for some of the security officials -- fried noodles and vegetables, spicy sour soup, dried fish and fried rice.

After a delicious dinner, I took the opportunity to update my Facebook status with the words: "Lou Charbonneau is in Naypyidaw, the surreal and brand-spanking-new capital of Myanmar, better known as Burma."

I'd like to think that was a first for Naypyidaw.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #18
sutee

Likes (Received): 286

to the world stongest women who never give up
sutee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #19
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Fulga View Post
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECENT PHOTOS OF THE NEW CAPITAL...OR FROM YANGON RECENT DEVELOPMENTS !???
Would be interesting to see some photage.

Looking at Google Earth it looks like a really strange capital Its in the middel of nowhere. They have built a large dam to supply it with water. Then loads of gigantic villas in the forests (500m between the villas). My guess is that these pictures are a few years old now, but you see the infastructure and city planning, looks crazy.

In other words, this is madness. Especially in a such a place. Much money been wasted here.

Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 124

Any new news?

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: