search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #4261
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5304

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Aging is likely to be cured by mid-century, so if you're still young-ish today, you might live for centuries.
I think that's too optimistic. Aging is not a "disease" that can be cured, but an evolutionary mechanism. If there was no "death switch" there would be no evolution, so that's why the first life, which was probably molecularity eternal, was out competed by the ones that did have an "off switch". They multiplied more rapidly and out competed the eternals. Even today, most life forms that spawn usually die immediately after spawning. It is mostly organisms that need to protect their young that live on. In humans, aging is a result of our long childhood, longest of all animals. In hunter gatherer societies it's actually the grandparents that do most of the child rearing, since the parents, being in their prime, need to be out hunting and gathering, thus humans have a long aging process as a result of that. So there are several different processes, that evolved at very different points in time, that lead to us aging and dying. Dying came first, aging much later. There is no one gene or process responsible but many, which are also connected to other process that have nothing to do with aging. So the "cure" is multi faceted and each of these process will have to be well understood for complete success.

For instance, you could delay death, but still suffer all the aging problems of bone decay, Alzheimer, etc. All these different issues associated with aging are just that... different. There is no one gene or cure for all, and each would have to be resolved separately. So to remain eternally young we need to solve all the separate problems from heart disease, osteoporosis, dementia, arthritis, and so many more. I think that's a long ways away. Plus even then, the longer we live the more likely we are to get some kind of cancer, and many will still die from random accidents. So no one will ever be eternal.

Oh, and one more thing. A lot of these "cures" will probably require gene modifications that may only be possible in the early periods of gestation. Thus once born you're out of luck.

Last edited by AnOldBlackMarble; August 18th, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 02:17 AM   #4262
lolantha

Likes (Received): 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyukyuRhymer View Post
the last I recalled about it, they've gathered the data to map (or photograph) it out, but need to go through them now. it may take a while.
I thought by July or August they would be finished and I was waiting and still no news whatsoever.

Tags
space thread