daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 5th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #101
odlum833

Likes (Received): 619

Monorail.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 5th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #102
Gaillimh
Registered Use

Likes (Received): 83

How about shifting it all by rail to the sidings in Clontarf Road and using it to reclaim land at the Alfie Byrne/Clontarf Rd junction. This would help to protect against flooding in the area and residents would gain new recreational land.
Gaillimh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #103
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 128

A good idea, seeing as all the land north and east of the Port tunnel mouth was reclaimed in the first place. Rather a lot of it. No train or trucks required, just an overhead conveyor belt on top of the existing rail line from the tunnel mouth.

The inevitable outcries from the usual howling ecomentalist types, orchestrated by that mendacious and irresponsible Frank fella in the Irish Times would delay the DU project by many many years...best feck the spoil into a quarry in Meath instead.

Last edited by sponge_bob; May 6th, 2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Port tunnel I meant
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #104
odlum833

Likes (Received): 619

The Irish Times is anti metro, pro Dart Underground. It must be a southside thing.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #105
oneborneveryminute

Likes (Received): 30

They're pro DU because they're indulging Big Frankie MacDonald on this one.

They're agin MN because why would you build a rail line out of their tax money when they wouldn't be seen dead in a train?

What was wrong with horse and carts for de nortside plebs to get around on ffs?
oneborneveryminute no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #106
Replicate

Likes (Received): 14

East Point is built on the old city dump, there's a reason they don't get rid of the semi feral cats in the business park.
I don't think you'd get much support for any reclamation near Clontarf... Personally I'm hoping the port will get moved but that won't happen in my lifetime I'd say.
Replicate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #107
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 128

Iarnród Éireann annual report for 2013

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/ie_annual_report_2013.pdf

The net value of the existing infrastructure is €840m so Dart Underground will add 400-500% to that ( I think)

The entire fleet ( Rolling stock, spare parts and maintenance materials) is worth €26m ....and considering the 22000 fleet alone cost up to €400m and was ordered less than 10 years ago that is a fairly crazy number.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #108
oneborneveryminute

http://infrapppworld.com/2014/05/meg...d-project.html
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #109
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneborneveryminute View Post
Another good omen for this project. I hope they can go back to those original consortia and see if they are still in a position to tender before launching another tendering process. It would speed the process up and expedite delivery of this essential piece of infrastructure.

I'd also like us to get it built and opened well in advance of a possible hosting of the Rugby World Cup. If it was in place in 2021 or 22 it would dovetail nicely with the tens of thousands of rugby fans travelling through Dublin to get to matches on the DART lines at Croke Park, Lansdowne and the RDS.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:00 AM   #110
oneborneveryminute

I'd imagine they will retender the contract since costs have gone down - that way they will get a better deal.
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #111
thebig C

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Monorail.
LOL....I was talking to a girl recently who advocated just such a solution (I think she'd been the Sydney Monorail). I countered by lecturing her about capital costs, land aquisitions, low population density etc before I realised that with every sentence she was drifting further away.....so in the end I agreed with the proposal. The things I do for totty

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #112
thebig C

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneborneveryminute View Post
I'd imagine they will retender the contract since costs have gone down - that way they will get a better deal.
I think you are right. Given the drift in Construction and associated costs and the lack of Infrastructure investments right across Europe compared to a decade ago, we are likely to secure a much more affordable deal with a renewed tender. The only problem is the inordinate length of time it seems to take to finalize Irish tenders.

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #113
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
I think you are right. Given the drift in Construction and associated costs and the lack of Infrastructure investments right across Europe compared to a decade ago, we are likely to secure a much more affordable deal with a renewed tender. The only problem is the inordinate length of time it seems to take to finalize Irish tenders.

C
Well that's the thing I'm concerned about. Even with fairly small parts of the Luas cross city project they've taken their time completing the tendering project. While saving €1-2 billion on retendering would be nice and is very important in these still-straitened times I don't want this project delayed any longer than it has to be. By rights, this thing should have been built in the 1970s but due to a whole cavalcade of events that hasn't happened. 2022 is the latest we should have to wait for this essential rail project. I almost feel like we should help out by digging some trenches in Stephen's Green!
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: