SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Trivandrum transport infrastructure developments: Roads & Grade Seperators

2M views 7K replies 346 participants last post by  Rishithulyan 
#1 ·
Several road development projects are being under taken in the city. The major one being the development of 42 kms of city roads under PPP on annuity basis. This thread will discuss/showcase about the development in road infrastructure.

#61 ·

Post-CRIP, no let-up in chaos

Kuravankonam Junction in the city, where six roads meet, is fast turning out to be road users' nightmare. The City Road Improvement Project (CRIP) has failed to salvage the situation in the area, clogged by parked vehicles.

Post-CRIP, a restaurant, cafeteria, two food outlets and a bank ATM were opened in the junction. Those who come to these places park their vehicles on the road. A school and the Institute of Technology of Kerala University are close by. Almost all educational institutions have a halt for their buses here. Over a dozen apartment complexes have come up in the vicinity. Pedestrian movement is high on the stretch. So is vehicular traffic.

Under CRIP, a traffic island was built in front of Pattom Thanu Pillai Park on the side of the road leading to Vikramapuram Hills. Medians were constructed in the Kowdiar-Pattom road and on the road leading to Ambalamukku. But, nothing helped ease traffic.

Nature too contributed to the mayhem. A banyan tree on the side of the road is another minor impediment.

Also, vehicles which speed to the junction prefer not to pause and proceed. Those plying the Kowdiar-Pattom road are in the most advantageous position. When they zoom past, motorists from other roads wait. When the latter's turn comes, they too go full throttle. Trapped in between are the pedestrians, who have to wait for long to cross the road even during lull hours.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Thiruvananthapuram/article2349817.ece

#63 ·
[
Its nearing completion but some part of the stretch near the BSNL exchange still isn't widened due to lack of land. Why are the Govt companies not giving the land when all the private property owners can give their land?????:bash:[/QUOTE]

^^
See the difference between this stretch and the stretch developed under CRIP. Pathetic:bash:

#65 ·
@abhilashtvpm- Thanks bro
and @aseem azeez- ya you are right the stretch doesn't come anywhere near the quality of crip roads. its surface quality s very very poor. we can feel the level variations all the time. And i don't know what kind of material CRIP is using in road works especially the one used in kowdiar road , we don't hear tire noise while traveling in a car but in this stretch its very prominent.

#66 ·
@abhilashtvpm- Thanks bro
and @aseem azeez- ya you are right the stretch doesn't come anywhere near the quality of crip roads. its surface quality s very very poor. we can feel the level variations all the time. And i don't know what kind of material CRIP is using in road works especially the one used in kowdiar road , we don't hear tire noise while traveling in a car but in this stretch its very prominent.
The ride quality is determined by the technology of road construction as well as the mix design. TCRIP roads are paved using electronic sensor pavers using asphalt from a computer controlled hot mix plant.

Perhaps the top layer of the pavement has not been laid down yet on the Kesavadasapuram - Nalanchira stretch.

I am sure our resident highway guru, Ajith, can explain when he is back from his sojourn.

#67 ·
Perhaps the top layer of the pavement has not been laid down yet on the Kesavadasapuram - Nalanchira stretch.
Bro, i commute through the stretch twice every week and i've seen most of the road work progress. The final tarmac layer has been laid and unfortunately still the road surface quality don't match with the quality of TCRIP roads.:eek:hno:

#69 ·
Abhijithh92 said:
Bro, i commute through the stretch twice every week and i've seen most of the road work progress. The final tarmac layer has been laid and unfortunately still the road surface quality don't match with the quality of TCRIP roads.:eek:hno:
Perhaps the final layer, bituminous concrete, is yet to be laid. The layer under it, DBM, gives a rougher ride. I have seen that contractors sometimes wait a little while between the two layers in order to let the lower layer get compacted by traffic. I haven't been to those roads in person, so I will defer to your opinion and hope that things get better. I had pretty high hopes due to the excellent quality of the M C Road.

#78 ·
Give priority to develop road to Tirunelveli, says TRAC

The Trivandrum Residents Apex Council (TRAC) has urged the government to develop the Thiruvananthapuram- Kattakada- Kottoor- Ambasamudram- Tirunelveli road as a priority project to tap the socio economic and strategic benefits accruing from the connectivity.

Pointing out that Thiruvananthapuram was the only State capital to be left out of the National Highway Development Project (NHDP) network, a pressnote quoting TRAC secretary K.T. Roy said here on Tuesday that restoration of the now-defunct Kottoor- Ambasamudram road would enable connectivity between Thiruvananthapuram and Chennai by the shortest route.

The proposed road, it observed, would spur the development of backward areas in the eastern parts of south Kerala and south western Tamil Nadu and provide better connectivity for strategic institutions such as the Southern Air Command, VSSC, Koodankulam nuclear power plant, and the proposed Special Economic Zone in south Tamil Nadu.

The TRAC said it would also serve as the main evacuation route in the disaster management plan for the Koodankulam nuclear plant.

The restored road would make up for the exclusion of Thiruvananthapuram from the NHDP. Tamil Nadu had initiated development of the new road on its side up to the State boundary. Mr. Roy said the construction of a tunnel for two-way traffic would help to overcome the impediment caused by the forests on the Kerala side. The additional expenditure could be offset by the savings on fuel.

“The new road would be of direct benefit for the southern districts of Kerala which depend on Tamil Nadu for agricultural produce. It would reduce the distance between Tirunelveli and Thiruvananthapuram by half, provide connectivity between the Tuticorin port and the container transshipment terminal at Vizhinjam, and link the east and west coasts.”

The TRAC called upon the government to convene a meeting of officials of the Union and State governments and people's representatives from the areas coming under the project to formulate an action plan for implementation.

Source