SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Trivandrum transport infrastructure developments: Roads & Grade Seperators

2M views 7K replies 346 participants last post by  Rishithulyan 
#1 ·
Several road development projects are being under taken in the city. The major one being the development of 42 kms of city roads under PPP on annuity basis. This thread will discuss/showcase about the development in road infrastructure.

#123 ·
#127 ·
guys.. what you think about my design.. a redesign of whole East fort area..

What i always wanted is that every road should and must have unobstructed footpath.. and people can just go to any place.. just by walking on footpaths and through foot overbridges and zebra crossing.. there should not be any need for them to walk on road..

will appreciate your comments..

#130 ·
d_rk said:
guys.. what you think about my design.. a redesign of whole East fort area..

What i always wanted is that every road should and must have unobstructed footpath.. and people can just go to any place.. just by walking on footpaths and through foot overbridges and zebra crossing.. there should not be any need for them to walk on road..

will appreciate your comments..
Nice scheme, here's my $ 0.02:

- The KSRTC bus depot adjacent to the Puthirikandam Maidanam should be vacated, and the space can be utilized for additional bus bays as well as interchange for the proposed monorail. This would be a suitable location for routes to overlap given it's proximity to the railway and bus terminals at Thampanoor.

- The roadside bus stop on the Western side should be eliminated to minimize congestion. Buses coming from the Kovalam side can loop across the underpass, through the bus bays and then back on to the M.G. Road heading towards Statue.

- Any new commercial space proposed in this project should be developed in a PPP model, considering the dubious record of the KSRTC, TRIDA and the Corporation in developing and managing commercial space.

#131 ·
One doubt.. How will the buses coming from kovalam towards palayam get into the bus stand? Or will they use the existing bus stand on the left side?
What i was suggesting that the buses coming from kovalam, they can take a U-turn in front of Ganapati temple.. and go to the bus stand.. if properly designed.. the U-turn will not cause Chaos.. will post a design soon..

#132 ·
What i was suggesting that the buses coming from kovalam, they can take a U-turn in front of Ganapati temple.. and go to the bus stand.. if properly designed.. the U-turn will not cause Chaos.. will post a design soon..
Yeap, that's a workable suggestion, although considering the high traffic volumes it would be best to avoid a U-turn, and instead have a dedicated lane over the underpass.

#138 ·
CRIP: November 30 last deadline
indianexpress Express News Service , The New Indian Express
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: November 30 has been fixed as the last deadline for the completion of the City Road Improvement Project (CRIP). However, though the Thiruvananthapuram Road Development Company Limited (TRDCL), the concessionaire of CRIP, is simultaneously executing the Phase I and Phase II works in various parts of the city, they are unlikely to end on time as land acquisition and shifting of utilities are still worrying them.

�The TRDCL has completed the work on MG Road till Overbridge. A portion of road work on MG Road is stuck as the Devaswom Board is yet to hand over its land to the Road Fund Board. The TRDCL has taken up the work at Ayurveda College junction. There is no decision on the eviction of traders from Pazhavangadi-East Fort stretch. This is likely to cause indefinite delay in the road-widening work in this area.

�According to Anil Kumar Pandala, vice-president of TRDCL, the work on Model School-Nandavanam stretch has been completed. “The RBI-Nandavanam stretch is stuck due to Water Authority’s pipe works. Corridor 7 (Vanross - Oottukuzhy - Secretariat) is expected to be completed in 45 days,” he said.

�On Corridor 10, the junction improvement work at Peroorkada is progressing. Land acquisition is an issue yet to be settled along the Peroorkada-Vazhayila stretch. The case is pending before the High Court.

�“Road work from Thakaramparambu to NH Bypass (Araat Road) has been completed, while tarring is progressing from Murinjapalam to NH Bypass (Poonthi Road),” Pandala said.

�Lack of co-ordination between various agencies has left the Enchakkal-Attakulangara stretch in a shambles. The KWA has dug up the tarred road on the stretch for its sewerage works. A Railway Overbridge at Pettah and cemeteries at Pattoor are posing hurdles for the development of the Airport-MLA Hostel road.

�Meanwhile, the TRDCL has started putting up bus shelters at various parts of the city. As many as 30 ‘Cosmo’ shelters are planned under CRIP. Also, Transport Minister V S Sivakumar has initiated talks for the rehabilitation of traders from Thakaraparambu, raising fresh hopes on the Thakaraparambu flyover project.
Cheers!!!

#140 ·
Hope to see busshelters like this.
There is at least one sample shelter that has been put up by TRDCL in front of Park View, so I guess we don't need to look afar.