Let’s Barbeque @ Thycaud

Image Courtesy : The Hindu

Marrybrown @ Panavila

Image Courtesy : trivandrumbuzz.com

Zinc n Rock @ Vanross

Image Courtesy : zincnrock.com

All Spice @ Kuravankonam

Courtesy : Anoop

The classy Ambrosia outlet at Kowdiar or the “musical” Zinc n Rock at Vanross junction or the elegant and professional All Spice at Kuravankonam or the soothing Let’s Barbeque at Thycaud, they are all right up there in the list of restaurants which have that ‘Wow!’ factor. Chic, trendy, comfy and eye-catchy hangouts and eateries have mushroomed in many parts of the city and going by the trend, more are in the offing, especially with Thiruvananthapuram set to graduate into the multiplex-mall era very soon.

more

See less See more
#195 ·
^^
At long last, a top quality restaurant inTrivandrum. It's taken a while for somebody to take the risk and set up the best in Trivandrum. I am grateful to the owners for doing so.

The ambience is top quality. Better than many a 5 star hotel restaurant. The menu has a good selection of different cuisine. The quality of food is pretty good and the portions are large.

They have different seating options, some of which are unique.

Unfortunately, with our silly Government policies, they do not have a permit to serve beer & wine. Hopefully, our politicians and bureaucrats will wake up someday and start encouraging people to start such top quality restaurants across Kerala.

A must try place. Trivandrumites are gonna love it.......
http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g297637-d3493926-r141431696-Villa_Maya-Thiruvananthapuram_Trivandrum_Kerala.html

#200 ·
#203 ·
@ Triman

What difference does it make if we change the venue of KFC to Kesavadasapuram / Kazhakootam ? KFC at its current venue is situated close to the heart of the city....... and accessible to everyone from all parts of the city........ a fact proven by the overwhelming response it recieved and still recieves........

#205 ·
What difference does it make if we change the venue of KFC to Kesavadasapuram / Kazhakootam ? KFC at its current venue is situated close to the heart of the city....... and accessible to everyone from all parts of the city........ a fact proven by the overwhelming response it recieved and still recieves........
Statue area is prone to media attack owing to its proximity to Secreteriat.That is why KFC puzhu has gone international.
Moreover,during peak hours parking is a problem in statue area.Even relocating it to Overbridge or Eastfort is good.

Where as Kowdiar,Pattom,Kesavadasapuram,Vellayambalam,
Vazhuthakkad, Medical College,Chakka Byepass and Kazhakootam has good customer base.

#208 ·
Puzhu ? If you are mentioning about the stale chicken complaint given against the KFC in Kochi, the fact that not even the other people eating in the restaurant joined the protest makes it really suspicious!! Some restaurants are indeed hurt by the success of KFCs and god knows what they would come up with.

#210 ·
Usthad Hotel at Pettah Junction is inspired by Anwar Rasheed’s film by the same name

The restaurant board with its use of colours and the tyre with the words Usthad Hotel painted on it look eerily familiar. The only thing that stops one from expecting Kareem Ikka and Feyzee from stepping out of this joint is the fact that it is not by a beach and it’s located in a multi-storied building. Food has been a source of inspiration for literature, art, music and cinema. However, when brothers Shine Chandran and Shin Chandran and their cousin Shaju Sajeev went to the theatres to watch Anwar Rasheed’s Ustad Hotel, little did they expect the movie to change the course of their lives. The trio, inspired by the movie, now runs a restaurant at Pettah Junction that has been named after the movie. Say Shine and Shin: “The movie touched a chord in our lives and inspired us to start the eatery with the same name.”
Scripted by Anjali Menon, Ustad Hotel, is about an elderly man bonding with his grandson over food. And that is what Shine, Shin and Shaju hope to do with their customers. “We are just a week old yet we have garnered ourselves a decent crowd. In fact, we have quite a few regulars who are like old friends,” says Shin, proudly.
The trio, says Shin, are decent cooks, especially Shine. “Shine prepares excellent naadan chicken roast. My wife, Divya, who helps run the restaurant while we manage the other aspects, is an excellent cook too,” says Shin. However, except for Shin who runs a small bakery in Pettah, the others have no experience in the food industry. The restaurant kitchen is currently run by Moideen who has experience running kitchens of various restaurants in the city. Says Shine: “When we opened the restaurant last week, we were sure that we would try as far as possible to stay true to the movie. Thus our emphasis is on naadan food. Like in the movie, we serve biriyanis that are quite popular amongst customers. However, as Chinese cuisine is popular amongst customers, we have added dishes like fried rice, noodles and chicken Manchurian to our menu too. Once we are fully operational, drawing inspiration from the film, we hope to serve food to the less fortunate.” Shin and Shine borrow a line from the movie when they say that the secret ingredient to their food is ‘Muhabbat’. “We aim at serving our customers clean, tasty food with a pinch of love. The look of satisfaction after they complete their meal is our manna.”
It helps that the staff at the restaurant are fans of the movie too. “Our staff ensures that the restaurant stands for the acronym we have coined from the word Usthad. U stands for Ultimate, S is for Service, T for Taste, H for Health, A for Affection and D for Delicious,” says Shine.
The diehard fans of the movie, hope that one day, members of the film, be it cast or crew, will drop by the restaurant. “As the restaurant is on the way to the city from the airport, we hope that one of them will notice the restaurant and stop by. The restaurant, after all, is our ode to the movie,” says Shin. The restaurant has just started a Facebook page (facebook/usthadhotelpettah) in which they hope the stars and customers can put in a few words of encouragement.
The restaurant is open daily from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Contact: 9746573307/9809944677/9895233693.
Source : The Hindu metroplus

#215 ·
Café Tapas: Spanish flavours

People in the city are foodies! How else can one explain the mushrooming of restaurants in nooks and corners of the city.

While most restaurants serve Indian food, some list Chinese dishes on their menu. And although there have been a handful of speciality restaurants, almost none have managed to sustain their running. Hoping to break the jinx ‘foreign’ food has on the city is Café Tapas. A Spanish restaurant, Café Tapas is run by husband-wife team of George Kuruvilla and Mariam. The duo runs a successful beach restaurant in Barcelona, Spain. “Right now, a friend of mine is helping me run the place,” says George.

A graduate in hotel management, although trained in the management aspect of running a hotel, George discovered his ‘dormant’ foodie once he started travelling around the world. “While travelling, I tried out various local foods and was amazed at the variety in terms of textures and flavours. I knew then that a part of me belonged to the kitchen. I lived in many places for months at end and learnt how to prepare their dishes.”

George has worked at various restaurants around the world and has worked in the city too. In fact, it was while working at a restaurant in the city that he met Mariam, a Maldivian who is based in Spain. “Mariam came in for a cup of coffee…” And well, a lot can happen over coffee, as a catch line of a popular coffee brand goes.

“That is why the city is home,” says Mariam, “Although we could have started a restaurant anywhere in Kerala or in India for that matter, the city holds a special place for us.” George did start a restaurant in the city called Zest Boulevard a couple of years ago, “but it had to be closed down as the road in front of the restaurant was dug up by the Water Work authorities for laying a line.”

At Café Tapas, George offers a small yet modest menu. There are tapas, salads, pastas, bocadillos (Spanish version of sandwiches), desserts like brownies and chocolate chip cookies, coffees and juices. “There will be daily specials and we will offer barbeques on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.”

Asked if the ingredients for preparing authentic Spanish dishes are available in the city and the duo says: “Most of them are, but some ingredients like chorizo (a variety of sausage) and smoked ham are not, so we are importing them.”

The 30-seater restaurant is located at Sarwaa Lifestyle Store on Shankar’s Road, Sasthamangalam. Says Tiji Philip proprietor of Sarwaa: “All my customers keep urging me to start an eatery adjacent to my store. It has been a long time coming, but I have finally started one.”

But why Spanish? “Well, I didn’t want to start a restaurant that served the usual run-of-the mill stuff. Not many people in the city know of Spanish cuisine so I thought I would introduce them to it with George’s help,” she says.

The architecture of the restaurant has been done by Guruprasad Rane. “We wanted something unique and since Guruprasad is into eco-friendly layouts, he suggested we use bamboo. The restaurant resembles a contemporary Spanish garden. We have used Mediterranean colours and Mariam’s collection of printed black and white photographs will adorn the walls. While some photos are of her family, others are taken from her various travels across the world as a freelance journalist. The joint will be a cosy place where people can come for a bite and relax. We plan to make it Wi-Fi enabled soon.” Café Tapas is open daily from 10.30 a.m. to 8.30 p.m. It will be inaugurated today at 11.30 a.m.