SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Trivandrum Railway Stations, Projects and Developments

847K views 3K replies 205 participants last post by  P Jacob 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#202 ·
Hijack and Underdevelopment continues

Crossposted from General Discussions Thread
http://malayalam.webdunia.com/newsworld/news/keralanews/1306/05/1130605082_1.htm

തിരുവനന്തപുരം നേമത്ത് അനുവദിച്ച റെയില്വേ കോച്ച് ടെര്മിനല് തമിഴ്നാട്ടിലേക്ക്. നേമത്ത് ടെര്മിനല് നിര്മിക്കാന് ഭൂമിശാസ്ത്രപരമായ തടസ്സങ്ങളുണ്ടെന്നാണ് ഡിവിഷനല് മാനേജര് ഉന്നയിക്കുന്ന വാദം. കോച്ച് ടെര്മിനല് കന്യാകുമാരിയിലേക്ക് മാറ്റാനാണ് നീക്കം. ഇതോടെ 2008 ലും 2011 ലും കേരളത്തിന് റയില്വേ ബജറ്റില് പ്രഖ്യാപിച്ച പദ്ധതികള് നഷ്ടപ്പെടുമെന്ന് ഉറപ്പായി.

DRM Annanu aarenkilum Geography onnu padipichu kodukumo.
1 MP ikkum 8 MLA markuum midathirikkunnathinu sthuthi.

#205 · (Edited)
^^

If geographical constraints does not suit for a coach maintenance, why can't Nemom land be used for building coach yard, similar to one being done kochuveli. By doing so, all the future trivandrum bound trains can be extended to Nemom, rather than, limiting them to Kochuveli. Extension will benefit trivandrum central railway also, as it will not miss any of the trains allocated to trivandrum.

kochuveli is located at strategic place(airport and defence area). Hence commericail development of area is not possible.
But Kochuveli should develop and it should be the starting point for long distance trains (Jammu Tavi, Guwahati etc).

If I am wrong , please correct me.

#207 · (Edited)
Relief to hear LDF launching agitation for railway projects in Tvm.

Important rail projects announced by UPA-II for Tvm remain in paper only and public has lost confidence . Some others announced for Tvm viz. CAO office, world class etc. were shifted out by some ministers to their constituencies.

Overall, a hard blow for Tvm in railway front with no central/state ministers from Kerala to speak for Tvm barring exception of our MP cum minister.

#208 ·
Arum chodikan ellange Enganaeyokke tanne..

Sasi annanu chyan oru limit elle.. Railway kaykaryam chyunathu ARYADAN alle,seems like he does not have any interest in this. State Govt Korachu fund kodukanam like other states to railway for doing work and construction

Central Railway station ill vakkan pokunna Esclators inte patii aentangelum news undo?

#209 ·
Central Railway station ill vakkan pokunna Esclators inte patii aentangelum news undo?
Escalators Pattom junction vare ethi, ippo ethum.

With respect to Nemom, the news was false that anything was being shifted to KK. In reality, two pit lines planned at Nagercoil Jn. are being moved to KK, because a lot of trains terminate there and towing empty trains from KK to Nagercoil makes no sense.

Two pit lines are planned at Nemom at a cost of Rs 20 Crores, however further development is not possible there till the State Government acquires additional land because the land currently available is located perpendicular to the track alignment and hence unsuitable for the establishment of a coach maintenance facility.

About Rs 30 Crores of LA is needed for the coach maintenance facility to be established. GoK has shown no interest in this thus far, despite spending hundreds of Crores on LA for projects elsewhere. The establishment of the coach maintenance facility at Nemom will benefit the entire State by ensuring that the standard of coaches on trains running through the State is improved and that we don't get left-overs from TN.

As of now, it's likely that balance maintenance will be moved to KK to free up additional space at Trivandrum Central for two additional platforms to take the total to 7.

#211 ·
KCVL is satellite terminal of TVC & will remain so in future. Whereas Nemom was proposed to relieve congestion @ central station by shifting entire yard from Thampanoor to Nemom, thereby giving breathing space to Central station.^^

Thus Nemom development is equally or even more urgently needed than Kochuveli in terms of reduction of congestion and introduction of more trains from TVC. Since there is no link between Kochuveli and Nemom development, it is hard to understand why required priority is not accorded for Nemom.

#213 ·
Kochuveli place itself seems underdeveloped..I felt there is no much connectivity to city or to kazhakootam. I had to get down at the station last sunday. Could'nt find much people or vehicles..maybe cos it was sunday. Got 1 auto n he asked me 150 rs to go to kazhakoottam..I asked him to drop at bypass, so that i can get a bus from there to kzktm he said it is difficult to get bus. I told its ok i'll manage..then he said he'll drop me for 130 rs. I got down at bypass and got a bus to kzktm in 2 mins.

#214 ·
City auto drivers are very good nowadays. many charge exact the meter charge and some round off the amount. after 5am in the morning from medical college to thampanoor i was charged only 54 Rs :)
coimbatoreil kazhutharappayirunnu..2 kms povan 80 rs oke vangi kalayum. same case with Chennai.
Kochiyilum kanakka TNile kal better anenne ollu.

#218 ·
After finishing lunch we got NCJ KOTTAYAM passenger and got down at KCVL.

Totally waste, unfit for handling long distance trains.

Station was very odd, if anyone wants to catch a train originating from KCVL,

he must get down at first platform and have to cross all main lines and all pitlines(we underpassed KCVL - SBC which stabled in pitline) and reached far end of station,
by got in and down KCVL - NCJ PASSENGER and KCVL BIKANER exp, finally reached real 1st platform.

Definitely it will be a odd experiance for all new comers. No basic amenities, only one ticket counter is available for both current and advance booking!!!!.

Again we crossed all hurdles and obstacles and reached to opposite platform where we got down from Kottayam passenger.

We caught a bus and reached TVC by 17.00.

We caught 17.30 TVC-VLKN SETC UD and reached TJ by 04.30. and got an ordinary bus to KMU and reached there by 05.40.

Totally a difference experiance for me.

A state capital's second terminal without an FOB and basic amenities, really horrible.
Posted by Mr Bharathy on Feb 28, 2013 in another Forum.

http://indianrailways.informe.com/forum/railfanning-report-part-3-dt1021-1035.html

#220 ·
Nemom station is the only solution to the growing rail traffic at TVC, why people(at the planning level) are not taking it seriously, KVCL happen to be at remote place wrt Thampanoor.

Most of Northern state train service can originate from Nemom station via TVC(5-10 Min Halt).

Doubling also required from TVC to Nemom.

#225 ·
MEMU maintenance shed is at Kollam. Not yet inaugurated. It was a convenient place to locate the shed because of the land and PF's vacated by the Metre Gauge services.

There is one toilet each at both ends of the MEMU coaches which have been introduced recently on routes from/to Kollam.

#229 ·
80 trains under Thiruvananthapuram Division to be speeded up

There is some good news for passengers. Over 80 trains running through the Thiruvananthapuram railway division will be speeded up to save travel time. The new railway timetable will into effect from July 1.

The maximum speed limit will be increased from 100 km per hour to 110 km and running time will be reduced by five minutes to an hour. The new decision will help the railways to increase its line capacity and to operate more train through Thiruvananthapuram division. The railways could not introduce new trains as the Thiruvananthapuram division lacked enough capacity for new trains. Thus it was decided that to increase operating capacity by speeding up of the existing with minimal change in the current timings.

Divisional Railway Manager Rajesh Agarwal told that railways also have plans to increase the running time of the trains further during the next one year. The infrastructure in the division would be improved to ensure this. Sources said that there would also be an increase in the maximum speed on the Shoranur–Mangalore line during the same period.

Meanwhile some passengers said that many trains are faster than what they are as per time tables, but they are made to wait outside the stations, only because they are before time and the advantage is not given to the commuters by changing the time tables accordingly. The railways should review things and take proper steps.

Currently, Thiruvananthapuram railway division operates 80 express and 60 passenger trains daily carrying 2.6 lakh commuters daily.

#238 ·
A simple change in timing slot may be possible without any route or destination changes thereby helping retain 16321/16322 weekly service, being in high traffic sector.

Another new train may be proposed to Bangalore via nagercoil, hosur considering the reduced distance and passenger requests.^^

#242 · (Edited)
All north bound trains from TVC run through PGT orSRR till date only. Only a few trains to TN run via NCJ. There are trains in Kerala that cover only few areas within state viz. Kannur-Yeshwantpur exp via MAQ, PGT-Tiruchi and the many trains that start from ERS.

Many long distance trains originate from other state capitals viz. Bangalore and Chennai towards North but hardly cover their respective states.:)

Considering above precedences and the fact that TVC represents a capital city which cater to diverse population, better & alternate connectivity to other parts of India both via longer and shorter route is welcome. For instance, distance to SBC from TVC is considerably reduced via NCJ. Since there are two daily trains from TVC to SBC via ERS, one daily from ERS to SBC, an additional train from TVC to SBC via NCJ to meet the growing demand is quite natural and may be welcomed by many TVC passengers. ^^

Trains starting from TVC or Kannur or ERS or PGT will all fall in the account of Kerala irrespective of which region it serves.

#243 ·
+1

If you take the case of buses, before many buses to from Trivandrum to Bangalore were running through Kerala. Nowadays i think only one service from each transports runs through this route. At the same time they have many service through Nagercoil. Kerala route buses used to start from Tvm at 4 PM and reach Bangalore around 8 AM next day. That means almost 20 Hrs you need to spend in Bus. But through Nagercoil route it will take hardly 10 - 11 Hrs because of less distance and good roads.

Now Kochuveli Bangalore train is taking min 16 hours. Similarly if a train is introduced in the Nagercoil route we can save 3-4 hrs i guess. Another advantage is that central kerala people will get more seats in other trains because not many people from Trivandrum will be interested in travelling by Island "Express".

But as always "Kerathinte prathweka sahacharyam", "Central location" etc will come into picture and no politicians will be interested in pushing for this proposal.