daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Mumbai

Mumbai Project news from the Mumbai Metropolitan Region - Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane
» skyscrapers and supertalls | highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #481
adityahbk

Likes (Received): 188

I have seen a lot of good slum rehabilitation, by SRA and private builders. I know there are some private ones that make the slum building as good as the selling one. SRA often does a good and bad job depending on contractor
adityahbk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 15th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #482
p2p4

Likes (Received): 1613

HI Anix

If what you are saying (I have no doubts), then that is VERY ENCOURAGING ! And yes, I second your line of thought that SR projects need some degree of uniformity in terms of amenities, size per unit, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIX_K View Post
@Mama

I had a totally different experience when I had a chance once to stay overnight at a SR project in Wadala. To my surprise it was way better than what I had expected. The quality of construction seemed decent. The neighbours and the overall cultural atmosphere seemed good. I had the feeling as if it is a modern day chawl with around 8-10 flats per floor. Though there were some problems like water supply for only a couple of hours a day and buildings placed close to each other, I felt quite optimistic that if this is the kind of SR projects that are happening in the city, we are on the right path.

There may be other projects where the conditions are extremely poor. In my opinion, there should be a standard design fixed for all SR projects in the city, at least a basic design with respect to the size of the flats, separation between the buildings, bare minimum facilities to be provided, open space and so on.

Mumbai Airport CSIA - updates
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
p2p4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #483
adityahbk

Likes (Received): 188

Whatever you said is already fixed by the high court years ago

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hum AAP ke saath hai.. Delhi door nahi!
adityahbk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #484
hshah

Likes (Received): 95

mama, i agree with you. i think you re probably referring to the nehru nagar and kanjurmarg SRA complexes. also, i think it is the state's responsibility that when they allowed people to lead a life in a place for decades be it a slum colony, then the rehabilitation has to be done in a humane and dignified manner. else, you dont let them settle in the first place.

@aditya - i think the high court only laid down the rules around the minimum area per unit, nothing related to the overall living conditions.
hshah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #485
Neeraj_Dixit

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p4 View Post
Ever seen or BEEN inside a SR tenement? Buildings are so close to each other, no sunlight, no 'space', people live in almost virtual darkness, dirt, garbage, junk and whatever you can imagine falls down vertically on the lowest floors.

I have been to one of these due to my interest in the SR project (wanted to compare the SR projects in HK to those of Mumbai's). I say even dark dungeons are better compared to this V.G (as I term it).

On the other hand, I just read in SSCI another day that there is one developer who has involved current slummers and taken them in confidence in how to live, behave, keep hygiene levels on par, provide basic recreational facilities (small parks etc) . I don't recall the name but it was a NOTABLE and encouraging news.

I can't imagine ANY of the SSCI members in Mumbai to actually step into the SR localities and post pictures . First, entry into these areas is a big mental preparation ! Drug abuse is high, crime is ever increasing in these areas, psycho-social behaviour is on a change for the worse. Many confide that it is better to have lived in a jhopdi than this dark, dank, wall cracking weak constructioned joke of a SR project.

I would gladly call it SOCIAL REPRESSION PROJECT than a SLUM REHABILITATION project. UNLESS - there are norms introduced throughout the board that each of these projects must have proper spacing in between buildings, at least reasonable amount of daylight entering majority households, a small recreation park that is functional instead of just giving an open dusty, dirt and garbage filled playground !

I know I am a lone ranger out here and can't blame if most SSCIans on this thread are typing from their plush swivel chairs . If you can afford, go into areas like Mankhurd.

Read this piece of info if you so like
http://www.pkdas.com/published/Lette...nia-Gandhi.pdf

Of that's not enough, read this too
http://blogs.rediff.com/thebravepede...le-violations/
I wasn't challenging you on it being a vertical gutter.
I was just asking which one you were referring to.
Also what is with all the hostility.
Aaramat , saheb.

Last edited by Neeraj_Dixit; May 15th, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Neeraj_Dixit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #486
Docusa14

Likes (Received): 16

As I mentioned there are few good SRAs in making

Alta monte ..Omkar malad
And Omkar 1973

Besides the one next to my bldg in Kandivali west by DB is also well thought !!
Docusa14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 11:24 AM   #487
akbarsyed

Likes (Received): 863

dharavi-project-state-likely-to-hand-over-four-sectors-to-private-developers

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...te-developers/

After handing over redevelopment of Sector 5 of the two sq km Dharavi slum to the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) in the run-up to the Assembly elections later this year, the state government is expected to hand over the four other sectors to private developers.
“The new proposal for Dharavi Redevelopment Project (DRP) is now ready. I have signed it but a final decision lies with the chief minister. We intend to decide on inviting bids from private builders for the four other sectors in a month’s time,” said Sachin Ahir, Minister of State for Housing.
He added that the DRP cell of the Slum Rehabilitation Authority has been given a greater and a more independent role in planning the project, including in matters relating to land acquisition.
The DRP expects the committee of secretaries and, subsequently, CM Prithviraj Chavan to take a call on whether the developers, who will be awarded the project, should be charged a premium amount or housing stock or a mix of both. The tender documents prepared by Ernst & Young, the bid management consultant for the project, will be tweaked once the decision is taken on the issue.
According to DRP cell’s estimates, the cost that will be incurred by the builders for rehabilitation for the four sectors is approximately Rs 16,000 crore. The estimated cost, as per previous plans for all five sectors, was Rs 15,000 crore.
Houses for 9,600 residents of Sector 5 are being constructed by MHADA, which is also generating a huge public housing stock in the process, owing to the incentive floor space index available for redevelopment.
A total of the 50,000-odd families live in the remaining four sectors, which have been divided into 13 sub-sectors. Sectors 1, 2 and 4 have been split into three parts each while Sector 3 has been carved out into four sub-sectors.
“In meetings held so far, the CM has expressed his reservations with regards to handing over a huge chunk of the redevelopment pie to any particular developer. This is why tenders might be called for the smaller sub-sectors. Also, the CM is keen on taking housing stock as against charging a premium, which is the preferred option by developers,” said a state government official.

patel2897 liked this post
akbarsyed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:43 AM   #488
christophertaylor

Likes (Received): 0

New Proposal for Dharavi Redevelopment Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarsyed View Post
Thanks for sharing information about new proposal for Dharavi Redevelopment Project

|
|
|
|
christophertaylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #489
akbarsyed

dharavi-revamp-plan-modified-for-smoother-land-acquisition

http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...d-acquisition/

Anticipating resistance in acquiring land for the developers’ sale component in the decade-old Dharavi revamp project, the authority in-charge has tweaked the draft development plan for the slum sprawl, deleting separate markings for sale and rehab housing.
The final version of the Dharavi development plan, which has now been sent to the state government for approval, shows the entire area required for housing in the ambitious project as one ‘Dharavi redevelopment project area.’
Earlier, the authority had, for the purpose of more clear planning, designated specific areas where houses for the sale component are to be constructed and where those for the rehabilitation of existing slum dwellers are to be built.
Incidentally, the location of the sale houses, marked on the prime areas of Dharavi, was a significant reason for opposition to the draft development plan by a section of residents. “The general opinion was that it would be difficult to acquire private land to build sale component of developers who will execute the Dharavi redevelopment works. The project can run into further delays. So, it was decided to remove the distinction. The Slum Rehabilitation Authority has recently approved the draft development plan and sent it to the urban development department for its nod,” said an official working on the project, who did not wish to be named.
The official added that the location of houses that will form a part of the sale component and the area to rehabilitate existing residents can be taken at a later stage. About a fifth of the total land that is to be developed for the project is privately owned and needs to be acquired. Dharavi comprises five sectors spread across 240 hectares, of which 152 hectares will be developed under the project. Of the 152 hectares, the official said the Dharavi Redevelopment Authority would have to acquire approximately 27-30 hectares of private land. About 3-4 hectares of this is under the ownership of the Tata Power Company.
The Dharavi redevelopment project has been in the works for more than a decade, but has been a non-starter due to issues such as flip-flops in policies, design changes, differences with the original consultant and opposition by some residents.
The project authority had prepared a draft development plan for Dharavi with the help of a consultant last year and had invited suggestions and objections to it from residents. The plan drew 765 responses from across 59,000 tenements of Dharavi, recording 2,015 demands. Of the total demands, 304 were requests for self-development and another 272 for exclusion from the project.
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #490
babyboxoffice

Likes (Received): 2

Here some are the best ideas which can change dharavi

babyboxoffice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #491
lino1225
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

nice.....
lino1225 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #492
Tetrahedron G
Tetrahedron G

Likes (Received): 43

Yeah nice !
Tetrahedron G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #493
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer

Dharavi Redevelopment Plan finally in place

Quote:
After years of delay, the Dharavi Redevelopment Authority (DRA) has finally come up with a comprehensive plan for the area, which includes global tenders and a time-frame in which to redevelop India’s largest slum.

The plan includes global tenders for four sectors, a deadline of seven years in which to rehabilitate all slum dwellers, as well a decision to issue work orders within 90 days of tendering bids.

Nirmal Kumar Deshmukh, chief executive officer (CEO), DRA, confirmed a comprehensive plan is finally in place. “We will have a strict time-frame for every stage of this project. We have also prepared guidelines to ensure residents get good quality houses,” said Deshmukh.

The DRA has also decided to issue tenders for four sectors simultaneously, setting strict financial and technical norms for the builders. Deadlines will be set for getting approvals as well as completion of the project.

The DRA officials will meet chief minister Devendra Fadnavis next week, seeking his nod to start the process.

The Dharavi project, flagged off in 2004, had divided the 535-acre slum into five sectors. Of these, sector 5 is being revamped by the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (Mhada).
Tenders for the remaining four sectors will now be invited.

According to builders, setting deadlines, and ensuring active government support will work wonders for the revamp project. “The project will get the best developers, provided the government actively participates by fast-tracking approvals as well as taking the onus of rehabilitating the slum dwellers. We are ready to build the best quality houses as well as amenities for them,” said Sandeep Runwal, director, Runwal Group.

The ambitious 535-acre Dharavi revamp project was flagged off in 2004, with the area being divided into five sectors. Of these, sector 5 is being revamped by the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (Mhada). Tenders for the remaining four sectors will now be invited.

More than five years ago, a similar tendering process took place, with 101 builders pitching their bids. Well-known developers had pitched their bids for the project, including Indiabulls Real Estate, Lodha Group, Neptune Builders, DB Realty, Kalpataru and Runwal Group. As the project was delayed, several big developers pulled out, and of the 17 developers who had been shortlisted, only seven remained. The state government, however, finally decided to cancel the tenders in 2011.

Three years ago, the state government handed over one sector to Mhada, where work is in progress.
source

n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #494
akbarsyed

Dharavi may be denotified

http://www.asianage.com/mumbai/win-w...e-notified-546
After unsuccessful attempts to redevelop Dharavi, the Maharashtra government is likely to de-notify the area so that residents can opt for individual development or approach private builders. The redevelopment work was stuck even after housing body Mhada decided to develop one out of the five sectors of Dharavi. The residents could not initiate any development on their own as the government had notified the area.
The BJP-led government is therefore likely to de-notify the Dharavi area so that individuals and residents can opt for redevelopment through private developers. “The department has proposed to de-notify the area so that people can develop it on their own. They can also go for cluster development by coming together or can opt for the slum rehabilitation scheme. The chief minister will take a final call on the issue soon,” a highly placed source in the housing department told The Asian Age on Wednesday.
“The department will make some modifications in the original plan suited to the current situation,” the source said. A group of over 1,500 locals have already come together and proposed that the government allow cluster development. “The government has no option, but to de-notify the area. We have formed 12 societies and sent our proposal to the chief minister for redevelopment through the cluster approach. Self-development of the slums will be the best and feasible idea,” said Anil Kasare, who has taken the initiative of mobilising the residents.
Raju Korday of Dharavi Bachao Andolan said, “De-notifying will help the locals as they can have their own development through clusters. The development plan should be sustained, but development rights should be given to the locals,” said Mr Korday, who had opposed Shanghai-like development of Dharavi. The slum, spread across 500 acres, is a prime location in the heart of the city. According to government data, there are 57,933 slums, while an NGO identified 1.25 lakh slums.
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #495
anandr
Anand R

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarsyed View Post
http://www.asianage.com/mumbai/win-w...e-notified-546 After unsuccessful attempts to redevelop Dharavi, the Maharashtra government is likely to de-notify the area so that residents can opt for individual development or approach private builders. The redevelopment work was stuck even after housing body Mhada decided to develop one out of the five sectors of Dharavi. The residents could not initiate any development on their own as the government had notified the area. The BJP-led government is therefore likely to de-notify the Dharavi area so that individuals and residents can opt for redevelopment through private developers. “The department has proposed to de-notify the area so that people can develop it on their own. They can also go for cluster development by coming together or can opt for the slum rehabilitation scheme. The chief minister will take a final call on the issue soon,” a highly placed source in the housing department told The Asian Age on Wednesday. “The department will make some modifications in the original plan suited to the current situation,” the source said. A group of over 1,500 locals have already come together and proposed that the government allow cluster development. “The government has no option, but to de-notify the area. We have formed 12 societies and sent our proposal to the chief minister for redevelopment through the cluster approach. Self-development of the slums will be the best and feasible idea,” said Anil Kasare, who has taken the initiative of mobilising the residents. Raju Korday of Dharavi Bachao Andolan said, “De-notifying will help the locals as they can have their own development through clusters. The development plan should be sustained, but development rights should be given to the locals,” said Mr Korday, who had opposed Shanghai-like development of Dharavi. The slum, spread across 500 acres, is a prime location in the heart of the city. According to government data, there are 57,933 slums, while an NGO identified 1.25 lakh slums.
instead of fully denotifying, government should notify land for roads, parks and utilities as well as rehabilitation of those affected by these public schemes. The rest should be denotified : maybe 60% will get freed while the rest can be used for planned public facilities.

anandr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:00 AM   #496
akbarsyed

lone-building-ready-under-dharavi-revamp-plan-lying-vacant-for-months/

http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/lone-building-ready-under-dharavi-revamp-plan-lying-vacant-for-months/
For Ankhush Vaingankar (50), a contract labourer in Dharavi’s Shatabdi Nagar where he lives in a cramped 100 sq ft room, it has been a excruciatingly long wait. A decade after the a redevelopment plan was approved for Asia’s biggest slum, Vaingankar, like many others is uncertain as to when he would be able to move into the new dwelling.
The 18-storey building, the only one to be built so far under the Rs 16,000-crore extensive Dharavi redevelopment plan, is ready and has been vacant for at least eight months now. Ahead of the state Assembly polls last year, the previous Congress-NCP government had hurriedly built this building on a vacant government plot even as the overall development plan was yet to be finalised.
Back then, the state government machinery had also started a frantic exercise to prepare a list of slum-dwellers eligible for free houses in the building, hoping to hand over keys to a few before the elections in October.However, that was not to be.
Related
Want to change Dharavi’s identity as Asia’s largest slum: Baburao Mane
Cong-NCP Dharavi showcase touches less than 1 per cent of target
Sole building in Dharavi redevelopment project to be ready by April next year
An official from the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) said, “We wanted to finish the survey to determine the residents’ eligibility for free houses on a fast-track mode after the building was completed, but people were not cooperative. Prior to elections, every political party and their representatives went to people and promised them bigger houses than the 300-sq ft apartments constructed. Hoping for greater space, residents were reluctant to come forward with their documents.”
Authorities are surveying a total of 1,058 families in two slum clusters for rehabilitation in the new building with 358 flats. So far, they have identified 328 families as eligible for rehabilitation. “We hope to reach the ‘358’ figure in the next one month. We have set up public hearings to speak to the people and urge them once more to submit their documents soon. Once we have the list of 358 families, we will have to publish it for any objections and conduct further hearings accordingly. The whole process is likely to take another three months,” the MHADA official added.
Several residents are also negotiating for two houses, if not a bigger house, citing mezzanine floors in their slum homes, which is not permissible, he added.
For many years, Shiv Sena has been campaigning for 400 sq ft houses for Dharavi residents, with the demand turning shriller closer to elections. Surprisingly, the Congress, under whose regime which the high-rise have been built, had also promised bigger houses of 500 square feet for Dharavi residents in its pre-poll manifesto.
Vaingankar said, “Many people I know did not initially take interest in the ready building due to local political leaders, especially from Shiv Sena, promising bigger houses. It is only recently that people have started thinking that they might as well get the 300 sq ft house after realising that these assurances of more spacious homes are not anywhere close to materialising.”
After several lapsed deadlines, Vaingankar has now been told that he might get his house key in June.
Satish Gavai, principal secretary, state housing department, said, “There isn’t likely to be any change in the size of houses. People want to move to better homes, and these kind of promises of bigger houses will be endless. The eligibility survey is at an advanced stage.”
- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/lone-building-ready-under-dharavi-revamp-plan-lying-vacant-for-months/#sthash.Z29p25WD.dpuf
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:09 AM   #497
Debashis Pal

Likes (Received): 3

Govt needs to steer this project
Debashis Pal no está en línea   Reply With Quote