daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure

Transportation-Infrastructure All about Bridges, Subways and Urban Transport, Railways, Maritime, Freeways and Highways » Aviation

Old March 18th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #1
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 107

Quarterly Ridership Totals

This is going to be my quarterly ridership totals thread, examining how LA is doing on its own and up against other transit agencies in the US. I'll do this as long as I feel like I want to, to be honest. Also the information on here is open to vetting, debating and clarification, it's all fine by me. So let's get started

4th Quarter Totalsall are based on average daily rides)
Heavy Rail:
1)NYC-6,228 phenomenal!
2)DC-902.2
3)Chicago-628.8
-- Boston-? no #'s this quarter. Guess they didn't report.
4)SF-352.0
5)Phili-317.5
6)Atlanta-253.3
7)NJ-234.8
8)LA-122.6 c'mon LA, we can do better than this!

Light Rail:
--Boston-? Usually Boston is #1
1)SF-129.9
2)LA-123.4 Expect LA to immediately go to #1 once Expo and EGLEx is done.
3)SD-105.1-Very very healthy #'s for our friend to the south!
4)Portland-100.4-Also very good #'s for a city much smaller than LA and SD.

Autobus Totals:
1)NYC-2,414.4
2)LA-1,303.4-I've said it before and I'll say it again, LA has probably the best bus system in the country; if it's not yet it will be after all of the Rapids and busways are put into service. Note: I'm not even tallying all of the interagencies.
3)Chicago-979.2
4)Phili-577.1
5)DC-442.0
6)Houston-306.1-This is in a city w/ only 1 light rail line and a pop of 2 mil, you would think its bus ridership would be higher at least. But yet LA is picked on the world over as the car dependant capital of the Earth yet its bus #'s are not to be sneezed at.......LA has a bus dominant system at the time.
7)SF-283.7
8)Seattle-274.5

Commuter rail
1)NYC-634.5-2 agencies Metro North and Long Island
2)Chicago-300.1
3)Boston-141.5-At least they reported their commuter rail
4)Phili-115.4
5)LA-39.5-I don't like this #. I think it's pathetic!
6)DC-13.7-With such a robust heavy rail ridership you would think........this is embarrassing.

Agency Totals: Heavy and light rail and autobus
(Excluding commuter rail since it can traverse through different metro areas, also the ATPA counts it seperate as well)
of course,
1)New York City-8,659.8 Quite amazing for the US!! Hats off!!
2)Chicago-1608
3)LA-1549.4-This is excluding the interagency service that falls w/thin and services the same county that Metro does. And the way that people talk about LA being car-dominant you would think that only 100 people rode all the busses and trains combined in LA. *
4)DC-1344.2
--Boston-usually goes here
5)Phili-1089.3
6)SF-1001.2-I combined 2 agencies for SF because it was just necessary and fair.

All data is found here:
http://www.apta.com/research/stats/ridership/

*LA County MTA posted a percentage gain of 6.5%. The CTA(Chicago Transit Authority)posted an agency gain of 0.54%. If these #'s were to stay the same into next year LA will have eclipsed Chicago's CTA ridership #'s by 41.2 thousand riders a day, making LA County Metro #2 in overall transit ridership in the US. Question: Would LA still be considered car dependant then? And if so, what is the magic # that pushes you over into the much ballyhooed 'Transit Town Club'?

Last edited by klamedia; March 18th, 2007 at 05:40 AM.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 18th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #2
djm19

Likes (Received): 0

I always thought LA had the second highest transit ridership for years now
djm19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #3
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
Heavy Rail:
1)NYC-6,228 phenomenal!
2)DC-902.2
3)Chicago-628.8
-- Boston-? no #'s this quarter. Guess they didn't report.
4)SF-352.0
5)Phili-317.5
6)Atlanta-253.3
7)NJ-234.8
8)LA-122.6 c'mon LA, we can do better than this!
This is pretty damn impressive considering Los Angeles only has one (well two, if you count Purple) heavy rail line. The other cities have entire heavy rail systems.

Quote:
Light Rail:
--Boston-? Usually Boston is #1
1)SF-129.9
2)LA-123.4 Expect LA to immediately go to #1 once Expo and EGLEx is done.
3)SD-105.1-Very very healthy #'s for our friend to the south!
4)Portland-100.4-Also very good #'s for a city much smaller than LA and SD.
The West Coast is Where Light Rail is At!!!! Suck it, East Coast!!!

Quote:

Commuter rail
1)NYC-634.5-2 agencies Metro North and Long Island
2)Chicago-300.1
3)Boston-141.5-At least they reported their commuter rail
4)Phili-115.4
5)LA-39.5-I don't like this #. I think it's pathetic!
6)DC-13.7-With such a robust heavy rail ridership you would think........this is embarrassing.
Los Angeles is the only western city in the top 5. Keep in mind Commuter Rail has only existed here for only less than 15 years.

Quote:
Question: Would LA still be considered car dependant then? And if so, what is the magic # that pushes you over into the much ballyhooed 'Transit Town Club'?
Every city in the USA, with the exception of NYC, is "car dependent." Chicago has expressways and Boston's Big Dig has nothing to do with rail, right?
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #4
klamedia
Silver Lake

Right!
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 2

Klam, re-post your message on this forum:

http://transittalk.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #6
LANative
Smile!

This just proves that L.A. is doing pretty well when it comes to public transportation and its going to be better. The false claim that L.A. has the worst PT system is played out.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #7
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 33

Once we extend the Purple Line to Santa Monica, we will only be behind NYC, DC, Boston, and Chicago in the heavy rail category.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #8
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 5

those numbers are in the thousands right? ....please?

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #9
dlbritnot

Just a brief comment on the commuter rail for DC, the metro heavy rail system for that city actually reaches substantially into the suburbs, so their strong heavy rail stats carry the bulk of city commuters moreso than commuter rail.
dlbritnot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #10
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Once we extend the Purple Line to Santa Monica, we will only be behind NYC, DC, Boston, and Chicago in the heavy rail category.
The fact is, LA has a pretty good bus system but not so great rapid transit system because of its current limitations. Their are cities w/ little or no heavy rail system that are thought to have a good transit system, Curtiba comes to mind. Their is just going to be a bias against LA no matter how many lines are built or extended, that's just reality. Peep this, Chicago's CTA heavy rail #'s are 10 times less than NYC's MTA heavy rail #'s and both systems were initially started around the same time, over 100 years ago! You never hear anyone on this forum say that Chicago transit sucks, quite the opposite Chicago is thought of as a transit town. I've seen posts where people down LA due to it's low heavy rail(only) #'s, wouldn't this go for Chicago compared to its true contemporary NYC? 10 times more heavy rail riders??? On systems that are both OVER 100 years old??
DC just celebrated its 25th system anniversary and they now have 50% MORE heavy rail ridership than Chicago.......how did this happen? So what makes a transit town? #'s? or perception?

Last edited by klamedia; March 18th, 2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #11
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
Klam, re-post your message on this forum:

http://transittalk.proboards37.com/index.cgi
edit
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #12
LA-dude
LA-dude

yay....i contributed to those numbers when i was in Hollywood
LA-dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #13
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 533

Quote:
Peep this, Chicago's CTA heavy rail #'s are 10 times less than NYC's MTA heavy rail #'s and both systems were initially started around the same time, over 100 years ago! You never hear anyone on this forum say that Chicago transit sucks, quite the opposite Chicago is thought of as a transit town. I've seen posts where people down LA due to it's low heavy rail(only) #'s, wouldn't this go for Chicago compared to its true contemporary NYC? 10 times more heavy rail riders??? On systems that are both OVER 100 years old??
DC just celebrated its 25th system anniversary and they now have 50% MORE heavy rail ridership than Chicago.......how did this happen? So what makes a transit town? #'s? or perception?
You really can't campare mass transit in NYC with any other city regardless of the maturity of the system. L.A. has made some giant strides in mass transit, but considering the size of the city, expansion is necassary.

Truth is, Chicago's mass transit system, although pretty well networked, it does need renovating and expansion. My question on DC's heavy rail is if it runs through any DC suburbs? Anyone know?

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false

Last edited by chicagogeorge; March 19th, 2007 at 05:04 PM.
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #14
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

When I went on a tour of DC, we stayed in Maryland and took the subway in. I sure didn't seem like a big city where I was staying, but then again, I know almost nothing about the east coast.
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #15
prelude91

Quote:
The fact is, LA has a pretty good bus system but not so great rapid transit system because of its current limitations. Their are cities w/ little or no heavy rail system that are thought to have a good transit system, Curtiba comes to mind. Their is just going to be a bias against LA no matter how many lines are built or extended, that's just reality. Peep this, Chicago's CTA heavy rail #'s are 10 times less than NYC's MTA heavy rail #'s and both systems were initially started around the same time, over 100 years ago! You never hear anyone on this forum say that Chicago transit sucks, quite the opposite Chicago is thought of as a transit town. I've seen posts where people down LA due to it's low heavy rail(only) #'s, wouldn't this go for Chicago compared to its true contemporary NYC? 10 times more heavy rail riders??? On systems that are both OVER 100 years old??
Chicago's heavy rail line is much smaller than NYC and covers a lot less of the city. Chicagoans also use busses at a 2:1 ratio to the EL. one of the biggest problems with the EL is that it under serves a large portion of the South and West Sides.
I was impressed with LAs numbers, I didnt realize they hide such high bus ridership. very nice!
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #16
klamedia
Silver Lake

I wasn't necessarily picking on Chicago but it does have a "mature" system and is known as a transit town. But where Chicago metro does shine comparitevly to any other city is in its commuter rail #'s. It is on par and then surpasses NYC's commuter rail #'s, though that metro has 2 agencies. I would like to get some insight into why its commuter rail #'s are so strong? One thing I did see when I visited last fall was that Metra extended deep within the city. How are grade seperations dealt with for those trains? Were they old abandoned freight lines previously or always passenger rail lines?

NYC-LIRR-355.3
MetroNorth-279.2
Chicago-Metra-300.1 Phenomenal #'s taking into account of Chicago's much smaller metro area.
LA-Metrolink-39.5
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #17
DCBaby

DC's heavy rail runs from the city to all outlying areas. Keep in mind that the subway in DC is heavy rail and not a commuter rail. Some people try to compare it to commuter rail. It just goes to all parts of the burbs, like London's Underground. We do have two commuter rail systems (MARC and VRE) that are also fairly new compared to other commuter rail services like Metra, Metro North and the LIRR.
DCBaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #18
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 7

How is Atlanta #6 in heavy rail? Isn't MARTA light rail???

And is SF Heavy Rail (#4) the whole Bay Area BART system?

And it's nice to see San Diego's Trolley system there @ #3. . .
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #19
klamedia
Silver Lake

Atlanta has a heavy rail system.
http://www.urbanrail.net/am/atla/atlanta.htm

Yes, that is a tally for all of Bart.
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #20
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 1