daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Latin American & Caribbean Forums > Latinscrapers > Foros de El Caribe > Foro de Puerto Rico > Urbanismo en General > Infraestructura Deportiva y Recreativa > Proyectos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #81
Terick
Moderator of Puerto Rico

Likes (Received): 3036

El museo se ve interesante. El que pueda visite y traiga fotos.
Terick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 13th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #82
Ultramatic
TRUST Me

Likes (Received): 757

You can't seriously expect someone from say, Bokoshe, Oklahoma know anything about Puerto Rico can you? That would be like expecting someone from Las Marias know anything about Sterling, North Dakota. Most of the population of the world have never heard of Puerto Rico. It's just a fact.

That being said, I too was born and raised on the mainland. I learned Spanish because I wanted to. Not because I was taught, or forced. I wanted to. Why? Because it is part of my ethnicity. It has nothing to do where I am.

The sprinkling of signs in English around the island is not going to bring about the downfall of local culture. It enriches it. Just observe the younger generations on the island, regardless of their political affiliations. They seem to be very comfortable with mainland culture and lingo.

The Puerto Rico of the 1980's or any other decade, doesn't exist anymore. It will never come back. Culture, like language, is a living thing. It is not static. It evolves.

Only you, can keep alive what is culturally important. Regardless of what a sign says, what the locals may know or what language they speak.

Being Puertorican is in the heart.

Bori427, Dark Light, jnnstorres, gugi182 liked this post
Ultramatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #83
jnnstorres

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramatic View Post
You can't seriously expect someone from say, Bokoshe, Oklahoma know anything about Puerto Rico can you? That would be like expecting someone from Las Marias know anything about Sterling, North Dakota. Most of the population of the world have never heard of Puerto Rico. It's just a fact.

That being said, I too was born and raised on the mainland. I learned Spanish because I wanted to. Not because I was taught, or forced. I wanted to. Why? Because it is part of my ethnicity. It has nothing to do where I am.

The sprinkling of signs in English around the island is not going to bring about the downfall of local culture. It enriches it. Just observe the younger generations on the island, regardless of their political affiliations. They seem to be very comfortable with mainland culture and lingo.

The Puerto Rico of the 1980's or any other decade, doesn't exist anymore. It will never come back. Culture, like language, is a living thing. It is not static. It evolves.

Only you, can keep alive what is culturally important. Regardless of what a sign says, what the locals may know or what language they speak.

Being Puertorican is in the heart.
Ultramatic- I could not have said it better! I too was born and raised on the mainland and my wife and children were also born on the mainland. We were raised at my home with English and Spanish being equal. My parents were born and raised in Puerto Rico, yet they dominated the English language very well and never had any trouble when they moved to the mainland. They taught us the importance of our culture, and I am teaching my kids the same thing. We live in the beautiful town of Ciales and five of our neighbors are also bilingual families. The Puerto Rican culture has always been evolving and will continue to do so regardless of whether they put English signs or not. If you drive around the island a good portion of the business signs that you see are in English or hasn't anybody taken noticed of that? Being able to dominate two languages regardless if they are English and Spanish is actually beneficial. That said, the museum is very nice and if they take the English sign and replace it with Spanish or put the sign in both languages it will still be a nice museum. Let's enjoy it people.

eagleguy liked this post
jnnstorres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #84
Megapluss
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Megapluss no está en línea   Reply With Quote