SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Buckhead-Atlanta's "Twin" City

99K views 196 replies 81 participants last post by  gwiATLeman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is a recent picture of Buckhead looking from the south. This skyline is literally exploding and will look totally different in a year from now.

Buckhead Skyline by amar_dhs, on Flickr

See less See more
#28 ·
sogod said:
Why is it that shots of Buckhead usually look so ... sparse? Other than the one you have posted, almost every shot I have seen of Buckhead makes it look like maybe half a dozen small towers loosely grouped together.
Because all the towers are scattered along one major artery - Peachtree Rd. Buckhead is a very large area, not just a neighborhood but a collection of a variety of hoods, from early 1900's inner-ring suburbs to post WWII suburbs. Over time Buckhead - specifically the Peachtree Rd corridor has become developed, so the only real nodal area where multiple towers could develop would be around Lenox Mall or near the intersection of Piedmont Rd. Otherwise, they are only the adjacent parcels along Peachtree.

#35 ·
I like those individual buildings more than the ones in downtown. That one in downtown Atlanta, i think the suntrust, is fuckin ugly. But Houston's TMC is no slouch compared to that but it is shorter than midtown but a bit more dense. Nice pics of midtown but why do people rarely talk about it?

#41 ·
lokinyc said:
I know Houston has a Midtown and that the TMC is part of it. What i meant is that it is not a separate, high-rise business district rivaling downtown, as is the case with Atlanta and NYC.
Exactly how far is Midtown from Downtown Atlanta? I ask because I personally have always considered Midtown to be a part of downtown Atlanta, yet most people consider them to be two seperate skylines. I certainly understand how someone could view them seperately but just by sheer distance, at least in pictures, it is the same place to me.

IMO, what I consider Midtown Houston doesn't have a significant skyline at all as of yet. The Museum District/Medical Center does, so in comparison I suppose that would be the best thing to compare to Midtown Atlanta (in actual size). I think it's unfair to try to compare Midtown Atlanta to Midtown Houston.

*note* To those that are familar with Houston and have been to Atlanta recently, would you consider the distance between Downtown Atlanta and Midtown Atlanta the same distance between Uptown Houston and Greenway Plaza?

Anyway, Those shots of Buckhead are crazy. I actually am more of a fan of Buckhead's skyline than actual downtown Atlanta. I love all of the modern architecture Buckhead has.

#62 ·
There is really no distance between Downtown and Midtown Atlanta. The two districts border each other, as many urban districts do. North Avenue is the dividing line, and the area north of there is Midtown while south of there is Downtown. The skylines are definitely growing together, but they are still two separate districts - no matter how they appear. :)

#140 ·
Buckhead is quite the architectural enigma. As a whole it's quite impressive for a secondary skyline, and there are indeed some nice structures to see. But there are also some bulky and decidedly lame plays off the glass box theme: Several attempts to look like two forms molded together that come off half-a***d, IMO. Plus there are three that try to play themselves off as grand houses with their roofs and chimneys, leading to some awkward juxtapositions like this:
So as a local I appreciate the efforts but feel it could be so much better.

If you live and work close to a MARTA line it isn't that difficult to get around Atlanta, but the train network isn't particularly extensive for a metro well over 5 million.
I suspect you're a tad late in responding, but who knows! ;) It is indeed a shame, though, that MARTA hasn't been allowed to reach out further and fill in their network. It's currently one of the features stifling Atlanta's continued evolution.

#44 ·
UPWARDATLANTA said:
In fact, i cannot think of many other cities in the USA that have a skyline of this magnitude inside their respective city limits.
Ever been to NYC? I went there this past June and it is the biggest city i have ever seen. It is amazing to see. I was in Atlanta last month and went to the buckhead at linux mall. I really like how you can drive all the way from CBD to the buckhead down peachtree and its not really that bad of a drive at all. There are lots and lots of towers going up in atlanta.

#48 ·
Fantastic!!! Thanks. For people that haven't been to Atlanta lately - that last picture is taken from the edge of Midtown looking northeast to Buckhead. Per somebody's question a little earlier, the heart of Midtown is about a mile-and-a-half to two miles from the heart of downtown Atlanta --- but in reality, they are pretty much merged into one continuous skyline at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.