SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Which design do you prefer?

• The KSS design

Votes: 80 16.0%
  • The Populous design

Votes: 420 84.0%

LONDON - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium / New White Hart Lane (62,850)

26M views 91K replies 1K participants last post by  sonicyouth 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Tottenham Hotspur FC

2x League:
1951, 1961

8x Cup:
1901, 1921, 1961, 1962, 1967,
1981, 1982, 1991

4x League Cup:
1971, 1973, 1999, 2008

7x Supercup:
1921, 1951, 1961, 1962, 1967,
1981, 1991

1x UEFA Cup Winners' Cup:

2x UEFA Europa League:
1972, 1984

See less See more
#4,003 ·
http://www.e-act.org.uk/news/222/84/Plan-for-new-Haringey-E-ACT-Free-School-unveiled

Plan for new Haringey E-ACT Free School unveiled

May 8, 2012

E-ACT Free Schools Trust (EFST) has announced that, working closely with Highgate School and with the agreement of the Department for Education, an ideal location has been identified for a new Free School within the Brook House site at 881 High Road, Tottenham.

The Free School is the second backed by E-ACT Free Schools Trust to open in London. It will form part of a new mixed residential development, subject to planning permission, by Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and Newlon Housing Trust.

It is located within an area identified by Haringey Council as requiring a number of new primary places over the next few years. It is also in close proximity to Tottenham Hotspur Football Club's new stadium scheme and associated developments. The school will play a further part in the regeneration of north Tottenham by delivering additional new jobs into the local area.

The new school building will be ready for use in September 2015. In the meantime, to help meet the need for additional school places in September 2012, EFST has reached an agreement to open the Free School on part of the ground floor of the College of Haringey, Enfield and Northeast London’s (CONEL) Tottenham Green campus.

The facilities, located between the Bernie Grant Arts Centre and Tottenham Green Leisure Centre, were built in 1903 as a large school. With spacious, light and airy classrooms as well as secure outside play space, they are ideally suited to hosting pupils in Reception and Years 1 and 2 for the first three years. The Free School will be completely self-contained and will benefit from a close relationship with the College as it develops.

Haringey Council will administer the application process on behalf of E-ACT. Details will be available shortly on the admissions pages on the council’s website.

The school will initially provide two classes for 60 Reception pupils and two classes for 60 year 1 pupils. Places at the school will be offered using the same admissions criteria the council uses for community schools in Haringey.

Principal Designate, Sonia Mallick, who took up her post formally on 16th April, said, “I am excited to be working with EFST, Highgate School and alongside Spurs to create a new and purpose built school for the local community. It will be designed to deliver educational achievement and excellence for secure and happy children.”

Grant Cornwall, Chief Executive Officer of the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Foundation, stated, “We have a strong commitment to local schools in the neighbourhood and we look forward to welcoming and working closely with the Free School as part of that wider school family.”

Paul Head, the Principal and Chief Executive of CONEL, said, “The College’s Governing Body is committed to supporting regeneration projects in Haringey. We welcome the opportunity to assist both EFST and THFC in the long-term development of the area by hosting the Free School from September 2012.”

Further information about the proposed Free School can be found at www.proposedharingeye-actfreeschool.org where you can register your interest and access information on how to apply for a place.

Aldborough E-ACT Free School was the first free school to open in London backed by E-ACT Free Schools Trust, in September 2011.

#4,004 ·
Both good finds Buckle and RobH.

So incase there's any confusion, 881 is the industrial site immediately north of where Sainsbury's is now. If they are including Sainsbury's in this development, it'll be quite a sizeable site. Room for this school and plenty of appartments to help pay for the stadium!
:)

#4,005 ·
Okay....now I'm confused!

Which Sainsburys are you talking about? Because the only one I know is the small one a few hundred yards north of the stadium, on the east side of the High Road.

And Brook House (at 881 High Road) is, according to my google search, opposite the main police station and nearly one mile south of the stadium, on the west side of the High Road!

Assuming that I have the right address, it would seem that this development has little to do with the NDP after all.

#4,006 ·
Okay....now I'm confused!

Which Sainsburys are you talking about? Because the only one I know is the small one a few hundred yards north of the stadium, on the east side of the High Road.

And Brook House (at 881 High Road) is, according to my google search, opposite the main police station and nearly one mile south of the stadium, on the west side of the High Road!

Assuming that I have the right address, it would seem that this development has little to do with the NDP after all.
The Google search doesn't find the right place I tried that and I think Buckle must have had the same problem. If you zoom into the Sainsbury's just north of the ground then do streetmap and you'll see it says 881 on the wall.

#4,007 ·
The Google search doesn't find the right place I tried that and I think Buckle must have had the same problem. If you zoom into the Sainsbury's just north of the ground then do streetmap and you'll see it says 881 on the wall.
I'll take your word for it that 881 High Road is the Sainsburys!

But Brook House is opposite the police station, a mile or so south of the stadium.

So could the journo be wrong about the number (perhaps he got it from google too!)? Because everything else - including the new school's supposed proximity to the Bernie Grant Centre and Tottenham Green - seems to suggest that the Brook House site is where it will be.

So I'm still confused!

#4,008 ·
I'll take your word for it that 881 High Road is the Sainsburys!

But Brook House is opposite the police station, a mile or so south of the stadium.

So could the journo be wrong about the number (perhaps he got it from google too!)? Because everything else - including the new school's supposed proximity to the Bernie Grant Centre and Tottenham Green - seems to suggest that the Brook House site is where it will be.

So I'm still confused!
Maybe it's a different Brook House (bit confusing). But the one next to Sainsbury's is owned by Cannon Automotive Ltd. Hope this helps.

#4,010 ·
Yes, I fed 881 High Road into google maps and got the same as Jim and assumed the temporary and the final address must be close to each other...

But all this is very interesting, no?

The NDP is already a larger project than we first envisaged.

Presumably Sainsbury's are more involved in the whole NDP than just the store on the stadium site?

What implications does all of this have for financing?

Given the commitment of THFC to the area in these different ways, are the authorities going to help with financing, not so much with more subsidy but with loans at preferential
rates?

Will the free school be more closely tied to Spurs and the academy at Bulls Cross, or could the free school have a Spurs-specific branch?

I'm already getting carried away...

#4,012 ·
Here's an article from February, in those halcyon days when we were title contenders and before we suffered the slide...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/feb/05/tottenham-hotspur-free-school

Tottenham Hotspur in talks to open free school at their new stadium

Michael Gove wrote to Premier League football clubs urging them to back his plans for free schools and academies

Daniel Boffey
The Observer, Sunday 5 February 2012

Tottenham Hotspur football club is in talks to host a free school at its stadium after Michael Gove, the education secretary, wrote to every Premier League club urging them to back his reforms.

Following the letter from Gove, the club, whose manager Harry Redknapp is on trial for tax evasion, is planning to build a new stadium close to its current ground, White Hart Lane, with space set aside for "educational use".

The club said it had held talks with a number of groups interested in establishing a free school at the stadium but had yet to decide who would take the space in the 56,000-capacity arena.

The development, which was uncovered by the BBC'S Sunday Politics London show, adds a new twist to the controversial free schools programme.

Gove wrote that he hoped football clubs might meet him to discuss sponsoring an academy or setting up a free school. He said: "It would be possible to ensure that training is incorporated effectively into the school day without disrupting pupils' academic studies."

He added: "Football clubs… are pillars of their communities and invest time, money and energy into young people. The work you are doing is having a positive impact on young people's lives. Your experience and drive would be hugely beneficial to children in your local area, who would be inspired by going to a school that their local football club is involved with."

Redknapp and Milan Mandaric, his former boss at Portsmouth Football Club, are accused of colluding to conceal payments of £187,000 in a Monaco bank account. Both deny the charges.

A group of parents and teachers called the Academy of Entrepreneurship and Sporting Excellence (AESE) is campaigning for a free school in Tottenham and has partnered with the charity founded by Lord Harris, owner of Carpetright. The Harris Federation runs 13 academies and is expected to submit plans for the new free school to the Department for Education by the end of the month.

Meanwhile, Tottenham has dropped its campaign to move into the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, and the club is committed to its original plan for a new stadium near White Hart Lane.

A spokesman for the Harris Federation said: "We would certainly look to work closely with Tottenham Hotspur if the free school gets the go-ahead to open, wherever in the area it is located, just as we would wish to partner any major organisation in the areas our schools serve."

Adam Davison, head of community relations at Spurs, told the Sunday Politics London show, which airs today, that the club was exploring its options. He said: "Tottenham Hotspur Football Club believes education has the potential to play an important role in the new stadium redevelopment and could bring great benefit to the wider community.

"The club has been approached by groups and organisations who are interested in exploring the opportunities on the Spurs site but is not endorsing any one proposal at this time and is keen to explore all the options before committing to anyone. All options for education provision will be considered in the context of the club's vision and ethos, community benefit and financial viability."

#4,013 ·
Not sure if we can read anything into this but Sainsburys are also heavily involved in Southend Uniteds new stadium. They are basically bankrolling it in order to get a nice peace of real etsate for a new store on the Roots Hall site in central Southend.
Were they not also partners with Everton in the doomed Kirby move? (or maybe that was Tescos).
Anyway I wonder if has any relevance to the NDP that Sainsburys have a bit of 'form' in new stadia sites?

#4,015 ·
Not sure if we can read anything into this but Sainsburys are also heavily involved in Southend Uniteds new stadium. They are basically bankrolling it in order to get a nice peace of real etsate for a new store on the Roots Hall site in central Southend.
Were they not also partners with Everton in the doomed Kirby move? (or maybe that was Tescos).
Anyway I wonder if has any relevance to the NDP that Sainsburys have a bit of 'form' in new stadia sites?
Sainsbury's are clearly quite involved in the NDP, I do think that Spurs are probably looking for a bigger fish from abroad as the main sponsor though.

#4,019 · (Edited)
Chairmans end of season statement. Nothing really new but a real statement of intent about the stadium. Says work will begin on the northern development towards the end of the year!
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/chairmans-message-130512.page?

Also, "We shall continue to make best use of the new space the demolition process affords and to provide extra catering and entertainment during that time."

#4,020 ·
Chairmans end of season statement. Nothing really new but a real statement of intent about the stadium. Says work will begin on the northern development towards the end of the year!
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/chairmans-message-130512.page?

Also, "We shall continue to make best use of the new space the demolition process affords and to provide extra catering and entertainment during that time."
Hmmmm...How does this confirm (or not) that the new stadium will get built?

The supermarket is part of the 'Northern Development' but could it still not happen that the Supermarket gets built but the stadium doesn't (due to lack of finance perhaps). Grateful for any input chaps as thats the question I've been asked by a gooner.