daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Auckland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #1
aucklandman
Ben

Likes (Received): 0

PUBLIC Transport

520 posts, keep it coming guys!

Previous: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...422642&page=21

Auckland Motorways: www.aucklandmotorways.co.nz | www.traffic.aucklandmotorways.co.nz
aucklandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucklandman View Post
520 posts, keep it coming guys!

Previous: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...422642&page=21

Previous http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...422642&page=26 for the last page just in case you're too lazy to go straight to the last.

All my postage gone!

Aren't threads allowed up to 1000 posts in them now or is the cap still set to 500 odd?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

With the spate of hi profile kiddy abuse cases here in the UK, parents refuse to let their kids walk or travel on public transport. This has been widely reported in the UK media. I can understand why mums are very touchy about PT. Kaas and Kane are examples of mums and dads all over the world struggling with the issues talked about above.

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEugene View Post
With the spate of hi profile kiddy abuse cases here in the UK, parents refuse to let their kids walk or travel on public transport. This has been widely reported in the UK media. I can understand why mums are very touchy about PT. Kaas and Kane are examples of mums and dads all over the world struggling with the issues talked about above.
Oh, I'm not saying they should let their children go ALONE, I'm saying perhaps they should meet them at their school by using PT. My mother did til I was old enough to cope alone at the age of 10. No, I'd never suggest leaving a child to fend for themselves and travel across a city alone!
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #5
arbeiter

Likes (Received): 1

I think 10 is a reasonable age, although I know people who started doing it at 8. I used to walk home from school from the age of 7 on.
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Wow. When I was only 7 back in the latish 70's AND LIVING IN GLEN INNES I'd take the public bus home from school.

But back then we didn't have to wear seatbelts and loved riding free in the back of a ute (pickup ).

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #7
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 5105

Strategy strengthens Auckland's transport
SCOOP - Wednesday, 26 September 2007, 2:25 pm

Auckland's annual report measuring progress on strategic transport goals is out today - and it shows the region is getting its act together implementing a regionally-agreed strategy. The region's 10-year transport strategy, launched in 2005, called for a major increase in public transport investment, in addition to road improvements. Regional Land Transport Committee chairman Joel Cayford said that since then the Government had showed great support for getting the Auckland transport system moving through its decision to support rail electrification and a regional fuel tax. The proposed regional fuel tax means that Auckland will, for the first time, have funding to fully back its 10-year strategy to ease road congestion through major public transport improvements. "Because of those decisions, the region is better placed than ever in recent history to make public transport changes of real substance. Congestion and air pollution are daily reminders that Aucklanders must change their travel patterns," Cr Cayford said.

"Having an agreed strategy has focussed central and local government thinking and expenditure - that's reflected in the high number of transport projects underway and planned in the region, and it is reflected in some very encouraging results contained in this year's annual report." The 2006/2007 Annual Report on the Regional Land Transport Strategy shows that while three in four commuters still travel to work by car, a growing proportion of Aucklanders are bucking that long-standing trend by catching more trains, and also by walking and jogging to work more often than they were five years ago. People made 1.24 million more trips using public transport than in the previous year. Bus patronage increased by 1.2%, after three years of decline, while rail and ferry trips continued to grow. Public transport patronage is now slightly higher than the previous peak in 2003. Population growth continues to stress the transport network and Auckland's environment.

The morning peak continues to experience greatest road congestion delays, averaging 50 seconds per kilometre in March 2007. The PM10 air quality national environmental standard was exceeded on six days in 2006, up from four days in the previous year. "It is vital to Auckland's social, economic and environmental well-being that the region works towards a common purpose," Cr Cayford said. "The current 10-year strategy must be pushed out to 50 years to better plan for the transport infrastructure this fast-growing region requires. The Regional Land Transport Committee has started work on that 50-year strategy and the challenge to complete it lies with the new committee formed after local body elections." The 2006/2007 Annual Report is on the ARC website. It includes a list of transport projects undertaken in the Auckland region and progress made in the past year.

Auckland Transport: Some highlights in 2006/2007

Government support for upgrading and electrification of Auckland's commuter rail network and a new regional fuel tax funding mechanism.
A million passengers used the temporary Northern Busway running along the shoulder lane of SH1, and the Albany Park n Ride filled with commuter cars shortly after coming into operation.
The first Auckland Transport Plan completed, pulling together Transit, ONTRACK and the Auckland Regional Transport Authority's planning
The first Sustainable Transport Plan sets out ARTA's 10-year strategy to encourage people to make fewer car journeys
Passenger Transport Network Plan (2006-16) sets out how ARTA plans to double the use of passenger transport
The Rail Development Plan details a 30-year plan to revitalise rail
The first Auckland Regional Freight Strategy completed
Traffic information improved via webcams and radio reports
Ramp signals operational at five motorway sites
Regional Cycle Network agreed by all councils
138 schools and over 20 workplaces and tertiary institutions are in

Travel Plan programmes

SH 18: Upper Harbour Bridge finished, construction of the Greenhithe section well underway
SH 20: Options for undergrounding the Waterview Connection alignment are under investigation, the Mt Roskill Extension should be finished mid 2009, the contract for the Manukau Harbour Bridge Duplication should be awarded soon, enabling works for Manukau Extension of the Southwestern Motorway to SH1 are underway
Esmonde Road Interchange, North Shore completed
Waiouru extension connection to the Southern Motorway, together with completion of Otahuhu interchange
Central Motorway Junction Stages One and Two completed
The Northern Busway construction (due to be completed in December 2007)
New rail stations at Manurewa, Panmure, Henderson, Sunnyvale, Glen Eden, Fruitvale Road and Sylvia Park (Papakura has also opened)
Construction began to upgrade Newmarket junction and station, 7.5 kilometres of double-track opened between Henderson and New Lynn, enabling works for a Manukau rail link started
Upgrade of Birkenhead ferry terminal completed, work progressing at Bayswater and Beach Haven

" Melbourne is just like San Francisco without the fog" ... Anthony Bourdain

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Queen St bus lanes

Received an update letter from Nazla Carmine - Project Leader, Queen Street Upgrade - re the feedback I sent on the bus lanning.

To summarize:

Between 06/07/07 and 08/08/07 feedback from 489 people.

* 319 people (64%) supported the proposal
* 172 people (35%) opposed the proposal
* 7 people (1%) had no idea what the frack was going on!

Independently analysed by Gravitas Research and Strategy Ltd.

Status

Decision deferred till Feb 08.
Additional information need -
* economic impact report
* a coherent transport plan for bus route on Albert, Symonds and Queen Sts
* transitional management plan setting out how the council will minimise the impact of bus lanes on retailers

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Wow. When I was only 7 back in the latish 70's AND LIVING IN GLEN INNES I'd take the public bus home from school.

But back then we didn't have to wear seatbelts and loved riding free in the back of a ute (pickup ).
Ahh the memories

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Received an update letter from Nazla Carmine - Project Leader, Queen Street Upgrade - re the feedback I sent on the bus lanning.

To summarize:

Between 06/07/07 and 08/08/07 feedback from 489 people.

* 319 people (64%) supported the proposal
* 172 people (35%) opposed the proposal
* 7 people (1%) had no idea what the frack was going on!

Independently analysed by Gravitas Research and Strategy Ltd.

Status

Decision deferred till Feb 08.
Additional information need -
* economic impact report
* a coherent transport plan for bus route on Albert, Symonds and Queen Sts
* transitional management plan setting out how the council will minimise the impact of bus lanes on retailers
At least a good percentage of people in the general public agree with the proposal. That is encouraging!

Also: since when is there "a huge number" of transport initiatives occuring? Most of the time they're just digging up perfectly good roads and driving up and down in their steamrollers. Either that or they're putting more and more and more roads in blighting the landscape even more.

I apologise for being bitter but I just found out that they are removing the roundabout at Whitford Rd/Meadowlands Dr/Millhouse Dr and are widening the road to 4 lanes and putting in traffic lights. Great, just what I need to make my area even worse. There wasn't even a notice of public consultation on this! Thanks to this pointless and stupid capacity upgrade for the huge leviathans these petrol heads drive I also won't be able to get off the bus anywhere near where I want to for a month when they start digging away on my side of the road.

HULK SMASH!!!
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1105

Beauty and the beast!

Old September 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #12
MonsieurAquilone
to fly

Likes (Received): 4

I love how you got those two in front of a public parking building -- very nicely taken.
MonsieurAquilone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #13
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

HEADS UP

Project DART has announced....

A second Open Day about the rail redevelopment planned at New Lynn will be held at the end of October by ONTRACK, the Auckland Regional Transport Authority and Waitakere City Council, details will be announced soon. We are also asking businesses in New Lynn to help us understandh their local transport needs by completing a short transport survey.

Old September 27th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #14
arbeiter

Likes (Received): 1

is there any information on bicycling in auckland? it seems given the rather mild climate that you could do it year round... do the main bridges have bicycle access?
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #15
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Not the freeways (our motorways).

Thus the Auckland Harbour bridge is a no no.

However there is a extensive and growing cycling network beside some of the freeways.

Auckland SH16 - Northwestern - has a fenced off and separate cycle way largely along its length from Newton to Henderson (Lincoln RD).

SH18 - soon to be the Upper Harbour Motorway. The old Upper Harbour bridge allowed cycles as it was designated a State Highway. The new duplicate bridge has a segregated cycle lane.

SH20 from Mangere to at the moment Mt Roskill a segregate cycle lane is under construction.

Very pleasant off road cycle way along Tamaki Drive - AKL waterfront, if you don't mind dogeing inline skaters and dorky pedestrians .

On my training rides I would cycle the SH16 across the Waitakere, then the surface sts to the SH16 cycle way and into Newton then down to the ferry terminal for a ride over to Devenport. The Ride back to Birkenhead.

Here's link to the ACC North western cycle route.

Last edited by Kane007; September 27th, 2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #16
Nicco

nice mountain biking in the waitakeres too!
Woodhill Forest is pretty good

Nicco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #17
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Waiheke Island is also an awesome place to cycle - definitely a mountain rather than a road bike. Most of the good routes are unsurfaced (metal/gravel), once you've escaped civilisation.

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #18
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

A few fantastic rides I've done out West Auckland (all from Birkenhead ).

Through New Lynn, up Titirangi Rd, a little way along Scenic Drive then Right at Huia Rd for the spectacular ride down though Langholm, the lower Nihutapu dam, past Cornwallis (maybe turn off for a little sidetrip down this peninsula), Huia, across the submerged road into little Huia. If you were game and did this on a mountain bike then you could continue on to Watapu, across the sand dunes (and if the tide is out enough) into Karekare Beach and eventually back up onto Scenic Dr. *** Warning NEED A MOUNTAIN BIKE LITTLE HUIA-KAREKARE!!! ***

From Titirangi you could continue all the way along Scenic Drive to Swanson and back into Henderson. At Swanson, you could also take a side trip to Bethells beach. Smashing look outs along the way back over Auckland.

Or you could do one of my favourites. Through Henderson, along Foresthill Rd, Scenic Dr (a little), down Piha Rd but note it's a hell ride out of Piha! Piha Hill, long and steep so maybe a mountain bike with better gearing.

Another excellent ride is the Riverhead-Coatesville highway back from all the above to Birkenhead.

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #19
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 5105

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
is there any information on bicycling in auckland? it seems given the rather mild climate that you could do it year round... do the main bridges have bicycle access?
All the info that you will ever need - including maps .... have fun

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auck...s/mtalbert.asp

" Melbourne is just like San Francisco without the fog" ... Anthony Bourdain

BLOG + FLICKR + TWITTER + FACEBOOK + PINTEREST
+ INSTAGRAM
SYDNEY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #20
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 42

In addition to that...

http://www.maxx.co.nz/cycle.html

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mandurahboyz