daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic » Development News | Includes DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME

Old August 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #1
BuffCity
I make Buffalo look good!

Likes (Received): 1

Remember your first Skyscraper?

Does anyone remember the first skyscraper they ever saw...how they just thought it was like a mile high.

for me...

The Chase Tower in Rochester, NY.
My dad would always take me to the Shire Circus downtown and I always remember seeing the 300+ tower, amazed.

Sponsored Links

Old August 5th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #2
bjfan82

Likes (Received): 0

For me - M&T Building in downtown Buffalo sometime in the late 80s. I used to go see concerts there with my parents and thoguht Buffalo was like the biggest city in the world when I saw HSBC building going above the clouds.
bjfan82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #3
steel

As a kid that gleaming white M&T tower in Buffalo was the one that I loved. It was so modern and white I just loved it. My first skyscraper memory though is of the Liberty Bank building also in Buff. Its shear walls are pushed right up to the sidwalk. As A kid I remember bending my neck back trying to see the top. It seemed to go on forever.
steel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #4
NYC007

Likes (Received): 98

HSBC Tower in Buffalo (though I think it was the Marine Midland Center then). Our family used to drive up to Buffalo from the Southern Tier and past that building on the raised section of the NYS Thruway (I-190). I remember us going by at 55 mph and me trying to see through that opening at the bottom of the buidling where Main Street goes through the plaza--and wondering what we there. Sometimes we (the kids in the car) would beg my dad to take us on the Skyway for better views of the city. It's for those reasons that I don't mind those roadways. True they're ugly and they divorce the city from its waterfront, but I have fond memories of traveling on those highways. Don't get me wrong, though, I wouldn't protest if they decided to rip down the Skyway and tunnel the 190 Section of the Thruway. But as long as they're there, I can live with 'em.
NYC007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #5
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 6

Well most likely when you are growing up in a city with bunch of towers, you aren't really surprise at the height. Growing up in Boston, the Exchange Place probably had the most impact because that was the tallest glass tower I saw up close. A massive 510ft building with round side. I didn't see the JHT up close yet until I was 8 since that was the first time I went to the Back Bay area.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #6
90 degrees

The first skyscraper that I can remember seeing is the World Trade Center. I grew up in DC and theres really nothing that's tall, but when I visited my aunt in NYC during the summer we would always go to the Statue of Liberty and I would always stand and stare at the WTC from the ferry or the island. They were just so huge and attention demanding.
90 degrees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #7
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 783

I remember the first canadian place in Toronto. I always used to sketch it and the skyline too
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #8
volguus zildrohar
Slightly Hammered

Two Liberty Place in Philadelphia. I was on a bus riding past it while it was under construction.
Old August 6th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #9
Joe84323

WTC in NYC in 1991. I looked up at it from like 10 feet away and just couldn't see the top.

...and DAMN those towers were still tall at the top of that thing.
Joe84323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #10
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1057

i remember driving by the bsbc building in buffalo on the way to the peace bridge. it was always a beacon for me, because when i could see it in the distance (from east aurora or somewhere on route 400), i knew we were close to buffalo and almost done driving.

i also have early memories of 1 and 2 liberty place. they always stood out when i went to phillies games as a kid.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #11
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 792

I was born on the 14th floor of the Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore, which is nearly 300ft, so I'm assuming that was the first skyscraper I ever saw....

But the one that I always remember was the Penthouse at 28 Allegheny Ave. in Towson, Maryland. I could see it all the way from my North Baltimore home and my family used to go to Towson for outings instead of downtown Baltimore since Baltimore wasn't the nicest place in those days. Seventeen years later I became a busser at the Cafe Troia on the first floor of that building. It's still a nice building.
PeterSmith está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #12
Furiine
Proud Marylander

Mine was probably in 1992 when I went to Baltimore for the first time ever with my family as a kid. We went to the inner harbor and Federal Hill. I remember seeing the Legg Mason and 100 E. Pratt across the water and thought they were the tallest buildings in the world. Then I remember seeing the Wachovia Tower in Winston-Salem every time we went through Business 421.
Furiine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #13
[Kees]
Kees

Likes (Received): 21

The first real skyscraper I can remember is the 92 meter World Trade Center in Rotterdam. (green tower on the left)

Old August 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #14
BuffCity

It's funny how this sticks with us huh?!
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #15
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffCity
It's funny how this sticks with us huh?!
I guess if it didn't stick with us we wouldn't be spending all this time on skyscraper forums. If it didn't stick with us we'd probably be living with everyone else out in some place called Forest Lake Country Estates out in some suburb of the Atlanta suburbs.
PeterSmith está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #16
BuffCity

Good point.
Old August 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #17
WestSideJohn
Frustrated Male Model

Likes (Received): 3

My mom's eye doctor had an office in the State Tower Building in Syracuse. From the time I was about four years old, it was always a huge treat to take the bus downtown and ride the elevator up to the (I think) 18th floor. I'd spend the entire time looking out the window at the view.
WestSideJohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #18
BuffCity

West side,

How was the view of Syracuse, is it like looking from City hall in Buffalo? not taking into consideration the size difference.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #19
WestSideJohn
Frustrated Male Model

Likes (Received): 3

To be honest, it was all so long ago that I can't really say how it would compare to the Buffalo City Hall view. I do remember the window faced away from the downtown core, so it was mostly houses and highways and that sort of thing. Still, it was a big deal for a little kid. By the way, I was just up in City Hall a couple of weeks ago and I was thrilled to see the outside deck is open again.
WestSideJohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #20
BuffCity

When was it closed?