daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #1281
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 444

Being as Falcon Lodge was Sutton's Council estate but is now mostly private housing I think we'll be alright.

But if in doubt it could be a Birmingham enclave. Like The Vatican... only shitter.

djay liked this post

Last edited by hoody; January 13th, 2017 at 10:58 PM.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #1282
baz2015

Likes (Received): 640

Good point Butters so if the better of areas , can run there own areas,?
baz2015 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #1283
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Yes, you can. But you can also be a successful "independent" town. Look at nearby Lichfield - does that suffer? I'd guess out of all of Birmingham's towns and villages Sutton would be the only one to "break away" so don't worry!
Isn't Lichfield district subordinate to Staffordshire County? So not independent at all

As others have said I imagine the future to be similar to the greater London model with smaller boroughs but with an overall strategic authority Berlin style...

Rijowhite liked this post
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:53 PM   #1284
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 2789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
Isn't Lichfield district subordinate to Staffordshire County? So not independent at all
I meant independent of the City of Birmingham of course. I don't see being part of a historic county the same as being part of a contrived relatively recent addition to a city. When was the last time you heard someone from Lichfield demand independence from Staffordshire? Well, maybe someone on here from Lichfield would prefer to be part of the Greater Birminghamshire County Greater Metropolitan Urban District Statistical Area Region instead.

Have the people of Wellington got over the "new" Telford name yet?
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #1285
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
I meant independent of the City of Birmingham of course. I don't see being part of a historic county the same as being part of a contrived relatively recent addition to a city. When was the last time you heard someone from Lichfield demand independence from Staffordshire? Well, maybe someone on here from Lichfield would prefer to be part of the Greater Birminghamshire County Greater Metropolitan Urban District Statistical Area Region instead.

Have the people of Wellington got over the "new" Telford name yet?
Hmm, its been a while since I heard anyone say that Wellington wasn't in Telford, instead they complain that Wellington doesn't get enough investment despite the fact that the council moved hundreds of workers there. Newport on the other hand...

Why is being subordinate to Stafford better than Birmingham if all other things are equal? Just because it has Shire in its name? You could probably argue that Stafford is more remote than Birmingham to Lichfield with it being on the Cross City Line.
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #1286
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
Hmm, its been a while since I heard anyone say that Wellington wasn't in Telford, instead they complain that Wellington doesn't get enough investment despite the fact that the council moved hundreds of workers there. Newport on the other hand...
Just for the record, I think they did the right thing back then by choosing a new name for the collection of small towns that became Telford. Although I've always got the feeling that people from Wellington were annoyed their town's name wasn't used.

As for Newport, I always forget it's part of Telford & Wrekin borough and not in Shropshire-proper.

Quote:
Why is being subordinate to Stafford better than Birmingham if all other things are equal? Just because it has Shire in its name? You could probably argue that Stafford is more remote than Birmingham to Lichfield with it being on the Cross City Line.
Yep, of course I prefer the historic shire counties to modern "power grabbing" cities. I like big cities to a certain degree (I wouldn't be on here if I didn't!), but I don't like it when they annex all the surrounding towns creating huge, never ending urban areas under that one name. The shire counties contain a mixture of urban and rural, both modern and historic, which to me is worth more than one city name.

Of course a lot of this is just a personal ideal, I have little to do with Sutton so whatever happens to it doesn't affect me directly, but I do watch with interest as it could affect how the rest of the region is made up, or at least give other towns ideas that are local to me. My dislike for names like "Greater Birmingham" aren't always for the same reasons as other people.
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #1287
baz2015

I Still thnk that the name Greater Birmingham has a lovely ring to it dont you think? Mind you we could have had Greater Sutton and Birmingham ! But going back to the local councils thing, we in Romford was lucky in that they used the name Havering which is part of the name of the old royal borough of years past, anywhere just because a county has shire in or not ie Northfolk or Essex, or like Cambridgeshire, a county is still a county, and what about the old London County council, Quite Urban wasnt it!
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #1288
baz2015

Oh btw Birmingham was not and never was in just one county,!
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #1289
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2015 View Post
I Still thnk that the name Greater Birmingham has a lovely ring to it dont you think?
I don't think you need me to answer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2015 View Post
Oh btw Birmingham was not and never was in just one county,!
It would have only been in Warwickshire when it was just a small village or town, before acquiring nearby Worcestershire and Staffordshire villages and building housing estates in fields.

But it's the same with Dudley Borough which is also made up of towns that were in both Worcestershire and Staffordshire. I think bits of modern Sutton may have been in Staffordshire too, or at least the current Staffordshire boundary runs to the north of the town.
Old January 17th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #1290
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 1105

Interesting planning application went in last week.

2016/09866/PA - Knights Developments want to build a rooftop extension to their office block, Knights House, at the end of the Parade, and create 12 apartments. The block is opposite The Gate pub.

I wasn`t expecting that.
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #1291
nigeman

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Interesting planning application went in last week.

2016/09866/PA - Knights Developments want to build a rooftop extension to their office block, Knights House, at the end of the Parade, and create 12 apartments. The block is opposite The Gate pub.

I wasn`t expecting that.

All that devolution talk as got Sutton thinking talls
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 09:06 PM   #1292
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 5466

Is there not a thread for this:

The Sutton - King Edward Square.

It is near Sutton Coldfield Station, Sutton Coldfield Town Hall and Royal Sutton Place.

Views from Railway Road.

This was from the station car park.

This was from King Edward Square to the left of the town hall.

From the cobbled path down towards the station.

Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:22 PM   #1293
Rijowhite
THE RIJOWHI VIEW

Likes (Received): 289

Plan to rescue Library...

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news...escue-12494895

GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY
GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY Conurbation In The URBAN WEST MIDLANDS Metropolitan County

TAMWORTH, STAFFORDSHIRE The Ancient Capital Of Mercia.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:59 PM   #1294
Bugbyte

Likes (Received): 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijowhite View Post
Yeh but....

Quote:
Conservative councillor Ewan Mackey (Trinity) said: "We are behind the spirit of the motion, we are all fighting to keep the library service in the town centre. "But, as it stands, the motion will not solve the problem. "Birmingham has the legal duty to provide the library service.

"Sutton residents pay their council tax to Birmingham and are entitled to receive that service.
"
I don't think the town council should provide services that BC have failed to provide in Sutton but support elsewhere. BC should release the % funding for the population of Sutton and let the town council provide the service if they are so inept.

Bugbyte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #1295
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 1266

TBF opening hours are being cut and another library is closing in the city and not just in Sutton. Mere Green will also see an increase opening hours from what i remember.

Now I was barely seventeen with a pocket full of hope. Screamin', dollar and a dream with my closet lookin' broke

Last edited by djay; January 24th, 2017 at 12:42 AM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #1296
Salt Peanuts

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
Yeh but....

I don't think the town council should provide services that BC have failed to provide in Sutton but support elsewhere. BC should release the % funding for the population of Sutton and let the town council provide the service if they are so inept.
That would mean that SCTC would have to run the library, employ the staff etc etc. Lots of issues there which I don't think SCTC is ready for. The can't even appoint a Town Clerk.
Salt Peanuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #1297
Bugbyte

Likes (Received): 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts View Post
That would mean that SCTC would have to run the library, employ the staff etc etc. Lots of issues there which I don't think SCTC is ready for. The can't even appoint a Town Clerk.
Well, as the TC is run by tories, they could set up a highly complex business structure where a charity loans out the books and a PLC runs everything else.

You could shave off 15% for each of the charity board of trustees and the PLC board of governors; 40% for the top tier management, 20% for the masseuse, tantric humming coach, positivity training days and poodle reenactor to keep the management and trustees productive; 5% on advertising to reach out to anyone who currently lives in Bermuda but may be thinking of popping over to Sutton Coldfield; 3% on front line staff and 2% on books and periodicals.

The business plan will involve the council selling the building for £1 then renting it back again @ £100,000 pa, and having a Costa machine in the corner to pay for all of this.

In fact, we already have a model for this - its called 'free schools' and 'academy chains'.
Old January 25th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #1298
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 5466

Any of you know who was the artist on the mural above Sutton Coldfield Library?

Old January 25th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #1299
nigeman

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijowhite View Post
Plan to rescue Library...

I'm all for saving libraries, but if Sutton is to have one they need to develop it somewhere else in the town, the Rose Centre just as to go, its an absolute dated throwback and spoils Sutton.
Sutton is as big as Solihull, but thinks and acts like a large village, just compare whats happening over in Solihull!
If they're going to go it alone, they really need to think a bit bigger and realise you can't stand still.
Going to Sutton is like going into a time warp
I recall something about a Masterplan being developed for the town centre and boy does it need one ...and one that promises an exciting future, or they'll be looking at "disinvestment"instead of much needed investment.
Mere Green as more going for it than its big brother

nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 02:30 AM   #1300
Rijowhite
THE RIJOWHI VIEW

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

I'm all for saving libraries, but if Sutton is to have one they need to develop it somewhere else in the town, the Rose Centre just as to go, its an absolute dated throwback and spoils Sutton.
Sutton is as big as Solihull, but thinks and acts like a large village, just compare whats happening over in Solihull!
If they're going to go it alone, they really need to think a bit bigger and realise you can't stand still.
Going to Sutton is like going into a time warp
I recall something about a Masterplan being developed for the town centre and boy does it need one ...and one that promises an exciting future, or they'll be looking at "disinvestment"instead of much needed investment.
Mere Green as more going for it than its big brother
I agree that Sutton does look dated in areas. The whole Shopping area needs redevelopment badly. Solihull is far better (and yet people consider that town past it's prime!) This should include a new Library for Sutton Town, either as a hub for North Birmingham or if the town goes independent.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY
GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY Conurbation In The URBAN WEST MIDLANDS Metropolitan County

TAMWORTH, STAFFORDSHIRE The Ancient Capital Of Mercia.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote