daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #1261
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 444

I genuinely believe that Sutton will be independent from Birmingham. The council is the largest authority and is arguably struggling to cope. One of cleanest and simplistic break always is to trim 100,000 off the population in Sutton.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:44 PM   #1262
baz2015

Likes (Received): 640

Yes I read that too ref Sutton Coldfield, from what ive read its only a small part of the Greenbelt, but what happens when all the brownfield sites are used?
baz2015 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #1263
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 1105

There must be 100,000 people in the Sutton area covered by Birmingham City Council. These 6,000 proposed new homes will add another 15,000 people, maybe closer to 20,000. Add in Little Aston and the 20,000 people in the Streetly ward, which has no real connection to Walsall anyway, and you`ve got close to 150,000 population.

Sutton should be independent.

Butterfield liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #1264
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Little Aston and Streetly will stay in Walsall.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #1265
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 2789

Isn't Little Aston in Lichfield District? Streetly does kind of feel in no man's land; attached to no one and not really a proper town itself.

It's a shame mini local referendums can't be done for these kinds of matters. Non binding, of course.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #1266
baz2015

Why would sutton want to be independent? And what would it gain?

BABYCAKES liked this post
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #1267
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Independence.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #1268
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Isn't Little Aston in Lichfield District? Streetly does kind of feel in no man's land; attached to no one and not really a proper town itself.

It's a shame mini local referendums can't be done for these kinds of matters. Non binding, of course.
Yep you're right my bad.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #1269
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2015 View Post
Why would sutton want to be independent? And what would it gain?
That's not the question here. The issue is over whether BCC is able to deliver its services with a growing population. Sutton doesn't have much to gain other than self governance...To a degree.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #1270
baz2015

Well with the right level of services and money to pay for them it can be accessed quite well, for instance have a local sales tax say 5% too, there is lots of little improvements that can be done, without cost cutting etc, plus can actually improve services.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #1271
citywatcher01

Likes (Received): 323

It would need to take a large chunk of northeast birmingham with it to command the population for 'independence'. Its a political ambition, not necessarily reflectling the reality of its location and make up, or its interdependence on birmingham. It wasn't added to the city boundary for no reason in 74. I suspect in any future LG reorganisation it may well be merged with surrounding suburban areas to form a unintary. However that wouldn't necessarily be the independence talked about by its local councillors. Ironically in an age of austerity its residents who in the most part voted for austerity, think they should have their own council. Which in reality is not cost efficient at all.....just saying selfish and hypocritical spring to mind. I also wonder how well the green belt would be protected when the newly powerful councilors were lobbied directly by the development industry....
Judging by other shire councils...not very
citywatcher01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #1272
Rijowhite
THE RIJOWHI VIEW

Likes (Received): 289

I think there's a chance Sutton Coldfield will become independent again, which could be good for both Sutton and Birmingham (Brum not having to cover Sutton services). I've noticed that the National Media don't seem to recognise Sutton as part of the CITY of Birmingham anyway. Not that it makes any real difference as it's still part of the Birmingham area...

GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY
GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY Conurbation In The URBAN WEST MIDLANDS Metropolitan County

TAMWORTH, STAFFORDSHIRE The Ancient Capital Of Mercia.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #1273
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Despite being within the current Birmingham council boundary, I guess Sutton Coldfield having its own post town address helps some people feel separate from Birmingham to a certain degree, and not having to put Birmingham in their address. It's the only part of Birmingham with its own post town isn't it?
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #1274
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 1105

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody View Post
Little Aston and Streetly will stay in Walsall.

No it won`t. It will go into an independent Sutton.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #1275
baz2015

Whats the big deal not wanting to be part of Birmingham its ridiculous to say the least, sounds like nimbys types sorry, but no wonder people prefer Manchester as the second city, and I dont wonder why this region getts a poor deal . There is quite a lot of big towns that have smaller towns or villages part of them, . Like I say you can still have your own town and culture but still be part of a larger city!

BABYCAKES liked this post
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #1276
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Yes, you can. But you can also be a successful "independent" town. Look at nearby Lichfield - does that suffer? I'd guess out of all of Birmingham's towns and villages Sutton would be the only one to "break away" so don't worry!
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #1277
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Again, the question that raised this is about Birmingham's growth and whether it is able to continue in its current form. It is having difficulty at the moment with cuts, but it never had a great track record anyway.

I believe we fill follow a London borough format with Sutton forming a separate entity as it has the prospect of a cleaner break away.
Old January 13th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #1278
baz2015

Well why not have say the following district's , 1 central south Birmingham, ie Edgbaston, kings norton, northfield, kings heath, stirchley, areas, 2 south east Birmingham, accocks green, and the places off Warwick and coventry road, 3 east birmingham , ie tile cross, Sheldon, the meadways areas,
4 north birmingham sutton coldfield areas, 5 central north Birmingham , 6 west Birmingham, and
7 central city zone. All run as separate districts but transport , etc run as city wide things, plus city hall in control.
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #1279
Rijowhite
THE RIJOWHI VIEW

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Again, the question that raised this is about Birmingham's growth and whether it is able to continue in its current form. It is having difficulty at the moment with cuts, but it never had a great track record anyway.

I believe we fill follow a London borough format with Sutton forming a separate entity as it has the prospect of a cleaner break away.
I agree with you hoody, I think that in the near future Birmingham City Council will be divided into smaller councils. The current situation is not working for the City.

As for Sutton being 'independent', it will still be in the Birmingham area so there will be little difference apart from being run more locally (same as Solihull).

In response to Mr Butterfield's post about Lichfield being successful as an independent town...independent but not that independent considering their links with the GBSLEP. I doubt Lichfield would be as successful without being a member.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY
GREATER BIRMINGHAM-BLACK COUNTRY Conurbation In The URBAN WEST MIDLANDS Metropolitan County

TAMWORTH, STAFFORDSHIRE The Ancient Capital Of Mercia.

Last edited by Rijowhite; January 13th, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Rijowhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #1280
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 1266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Yes, you can. But you can also be a successful "independent" town. Look at nearby Lichfield - does that suffer? I'd guess out of all of Birmingham's towns and villages Sutton would be the only one to "break away" so don't worry!
A huge proportion of people living in Lichfield work in Birmingham. Also as Rijowhite said.

Quote:

Will the people of Sutton be happy to pay the benefits of those in Falcon Lodge? I reckon you might see Sutton try to Annex them to Birmingham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2015 View Post
Well why not have say the following district's , 1 central south Birmingham, ie Edgbaston, kings norton, northfield, kings heath, stirchley, areas, 2 south east Birmingham, accocks green, and the places off Warwick and coventry road, 3 east birmingham , ie tile cross, Sheldon, the meadways areas,
4 north birmingham sutton coldfield areas, 5 central north Birmingham , 6 west Birmingham, and
7 central city zone. All run as separate districts but transport , etc run as city wide things, plus city hall in control.
As i have explained before, economically some of those areas would be so deprived they wouldn't collect enough council tax to cover basic services.

Now I was barely seventeen with a pocket full of hope. Screamin', dollar and a dream with my closet lookin' broke
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote