daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:32 AM   #6321
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

June 01 - Images

I see three

Not much stuff left ( they could always get more ).

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM   #6322
Woolie

Likes (Received): 4

sweet pics, <harry>!
Woolie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM   #6323
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3451

Pics of materials and working people. I can understand that photographing the same hole every day is a bit boring
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM   #6324
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsiej13 View Post
I can understand that photographing the same hole every day is a bit boring
Not if it's Jessica Alba's.

Oh that's right....I went there.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #6325
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

I can't say I'm into pregnant chicks. I guess everybody has there own...
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:14 PM   #6326
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
the 7 lev basement will be huge.
Yeah, no kidding. I wonder if they'll put any mechanical stuff down there along with the parking.

Does anyone know if there are going to be mechanical floors above grade or will it be purely residential?
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #6327
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsiej13 View Post
Pics of materials and working people. I can understand that photographing the same hole every day is a bit boring
All kudos to Harryc

I have learned more about the process of building skyscrapers from these pics than from any other source. It's a pity we can't get this sort of detail about some of the other big projects around.
AndyGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #6328
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10267

There will be mechanical floor firstly at lev5. then levels 38 & 39. i think every 30 floors or so.
the highest unit is lev145 or 568m. so above this will be non resi use.
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #6329
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

30% of Spire's condos are sold
Mark shows it will be built, developer says

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2383654.story

THERE IS A MUST-SEE VIDEO ON THE LINK ABOVE. IT SHOWS HOW IT WILL BE BUILT.

The Chicago Spire's developer said Tuesday that it has sold 30 percent of the building's condo units, which, it says, is proof the world's tallest residential structure will be built.

Reaching the 30 percent sales mark historically was the minimum for a condo project to win backing from lenders.

Developer Garrett Kelleher, executive chairman of the Ireland-based Shelbourne Development Group, has been financing construction, according to a spokeswoman who said that will change later this year. Critics will be watching to see when that occurs and which lenders back the project, perhaps an even more significant step than attaining the 30 percent sales figure....

Metcalfe emphasized that the 352 units booked are sales, not just offers of interest accompanied by deposits. "This is clearly a benchmark," she said.

The Spire is designed with 1,194 units, including a $40 million penthouse, which is still for sale. The building is scheduled for completion in 2012.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #6330
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

A very informative video. It looks like they won't install tower cranes on the core until it reaches 10-20 floors. Also they will be using prefabrication for the actual outer structure.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #6331
Lezuck

Likes (Received): 437

thx for the video, that shows what next steps will be.
Lezuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #6332
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

This morning on WGN the engineer said the basement would be eight levels, not the seven we previously thought. He also kept repeating about how it's "Chicago's deepest basement."
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #6333
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
great news. I'd love to know the break down of buyers. I get the feeling that most will be non-americans. I only base that opinion on the worldwide traveling marketing campaign they've been doing up to this point. many Chicagoans still dont even know about it.
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #6334
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Mark shows it will be built, developer says

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2383654.story

THERE IS A MUST-SEE VIDEO ON THE LINK ABOVE. IT SHOWS HOW IT WILL BE BUILT.

The Chicago Spire's developer said Tuesday that it has sold 30 percent of the building's condo units, which, it says, is proof the world's tallest residential structure will be built.

Reaching the 30 percent sales mark historically was the minimum for a condo project to win backing from lenders.

Developer Garrett Kelleher, executive chairman of the Ireland-based Shelbourne Development Group, has been financing construction, according to a spokeswoman who said that will change later this year. Critics will be watching to see when that occurs and which lenders back the project, perhaps an even more significant step than attaining the 30 percent sales figure....

Metcalfe emphasized that the 352 units booked are sales, not just offers of interest accompanied by deposits. "This is clearly a benchmark," she said.

The Spire is designed with 1,194 units, including a $40 million penthouse, which is still for sale. The building is scheduled for completion in 2012.
That's good news. I still have time to win the lotto.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #6335
bugstone

Likes (Received): 12

I guess "The Donald" was wrong

I guess Trump does not know or foresee everything correctly. In December 2006 he said, "‘‘The Chicago market is not good. There are many planned projects that won’t get built, and I predict this is one of them.” And this is before the full extent of the real estate downturn was realized.
bugstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #6336
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

, yes...i remember that article.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #6337
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Here is the story as it was sent out from the Spire marketing people via e-mail:

Quote:
The Chicago Spire achieves 30 per cent sales

After only four months – highly successful roadshow achieves sales in US and all corners of the globe

Savills announces today that 30 per cent of the apartments at The Chicago Spire have been sold. To date, 352 units have been sold in the 2,000ft, Santiago Calatrava-designed structure which, when complete, will be the tallest residential building in the world.

This announcement comes just four months into the global marketing campaign, which was launched in late January 2008 featuring exhibitions in Dublin, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Johannesburg and New York. The international road show will visit major city centres (including London later this month) in Russia, the Middle East, Korea, India, Japan, Canada and Europe in the coming months. In addition, the sales team will return to several markets in Southeast Asia and China due to a mounting number of inquiries in those regions since the initial visit.

“Wherever we have gone in the world, buyers have recognised not only that this is a masterpiece, but also that Chicago represents extraordinary value, particularly with the weak dollar,” said Dominic Grace, head of Savills residential development and leader of the global sales campaign. “With their deposit today and then a five-year completion date, they are also making a canny investment in what they confidently expect to be a much more buoyant economy.”

"The Chicago Spire has captured the imagination of astute buyers in the US and around the world" said Garrett Kelleher, executive chairman of Shelbourne Development Group, Inc. "Not only have we sold homes in every market where we have visited, we've had tremendous success with local buyers in Chicago. In fact, the mix of buyers is equally split between the US and international markets, confirming that the city of Chicago is a world-class place to visit, live and invest."

The strong sales figures reflect the potential of the Chicago residential real estate market to continue to outperform other US cities. The most recent report from the National Association of Realtors indicates the median price of a Chicago condominium increased 10.8 percent from Q1 2007 to Q1 2008. In addition, according to first quarter figures from the Federal Housing Board, Chicago continues to oppose national housing trends. During the first four months of this year, the average home price in Chicago experienced a 16.4 percent gain compared to the same period one year ago.

"While the housing markets remain challenging in certain sectors in the United States, there is a very strong demand for exceptional properties in major urban centres, and The Chicago Spire is the leading product in one of the world's leading cities," said Ivan B. Murphy, President International, Shelbourne Development Group, Inc. "For the second year running, Trader magazine named Chicago the best city for traders globally, and the trend-setting Fast Company magazine voted Chicago the 2008 US City of the Year."

The nearly 20,000 square-foot Chicago Spire sales centre, which overlooks the construction site on the shores of Lake Michigan, features a Santiago Calatrava museum, movie theatre and gallery and also incorporates fully finished condominiums with floor-to-ceiling windows reflecting the panoramic views from a number of different aspects and floors.

The Chicago Spire will be home to 1,194 individual residences and a range of amenities that will rival any in the world when complete by early 2012. No two residences are alike at The Chicago Spire, with each suite, gallery, one-to-four bedroom home and penthouse offering a unique floor plan and outstanding city and lakefront views. Situated on a 2.2 acre site where the Chicago River meets Lake Michigan, The Chicago Spire will be the world's tallest residential building.

Construction of The Chicago Spire began in June 2007. The building's foundation is now more than 90pc complete. Completion and occupancy are expected in 2012.

For more information call Savills on 020 7016 3796 or visit www.thechicagospire.com
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #6338
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

im terribly sorry, but every time i see pics of this building, it looks like a giant ***** to me
the building is elegant and pretty looking, despite above fact,
but i think it doesnt fit well with chicagos skyline
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #6339
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.magoo View Post
im terribly sorry, but every time i see pics of this building, it looks like a giant ***** to me
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #6340
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.magoo View Post
wow, that's really clever

anyway, THANK YOU FOR THE VIDEO, i feel like there was some scientifical breakthrough

Last edited by Reinsdorf Sucks; June 4th, 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: needed more sarcasm
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower